Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"no, I'm actually an athiest"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

OutlawPete wrote: »

Sure, I mentioned the guy's name on the thread and each time it was in a DISMISSIVE fashion - to say that 'condescending atheists', all tended to have a boner for the guy, were sycophantic towards him and should go masturbate to his books.

So why are you trying to make out that I was "eager" to bring him into the debate, your clutching at straws now.

Quit while your behind.

Time to give it up Pete - your bollixology regarding Dawkins only makes you appear biased and condescending - take your own advice and quit while you're behind

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

To be fair if Lutherism is the State and default religion and everyone is automatically part of it at birth with even the parents making the choice that is not exactly keeping it private is it?

FWIW you are only a member of the church in Sweden if you are baptised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

FWIW you are only a member of the church in Sweden if you are baptised.

Greentopia said in his/her post that every Swedish person is by default Lutheran although you can opt out persumably once old enough to make the choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

At the end of 2009, 71.3% of Swedes belonged to the Church of Sweden (Lutheran); this number has been decreasing by about 1% a year for the last two decades.[137] Church of Sweden services are sparsely attended (hovering in the single digit percentages of the population).[138] The reason for the large number of inactive members is partly that until 1996, children automatically became members at birth if at least one of the parents was a member. Since 1996, only children that are christened become members.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden#Religion

Fair enough, thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    These days, it seems everyone is tearing about the place mouthing off about "being an athiest".
    I see that the thread title is "no, I'm actually an athiest" which suggests that (a) somebody else brought up the topic of religion and actively asked for somebody's views and (b) that the questioner assumed that somebody was religious when they weren't and despite that, that (c) the answer to the question was delivered politely.

Does asking leading questions and still getting polite answers really constitute "tearing about the place mouthing off about being an athiest", or is it just another case of a religious person contriving to get upset about something completely harmless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

robindch wrote: »
    Does asking leading questions and still getting polite answers really constitute "tearing about the place mouthing off about being an athiest", or is it just another case of a religious person contriving to get upset about something completely harmless?

We live in a society where people disagree. Imagine that? - I don't see why there is a reason for the OP to feel accosted by this. There is no reason why he can't just get on with it, or try to make his case clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Flygimp

Nope no straw man at all. If you want religion to become really truely a private thing that people only do in their own homes and stop it from being , as some would see it, forced on people through books, media, schooling, iconigraphy etc than all the things I mentioned would have to happen. =

Then why has your theory and possible outcome not come to fruition in countries like New Zealand and Australia where education policies are secular by law. Religion is to be taught at the discretion of parents at home and school time is for education without bias. Yet across the board, places of worship sit next to each other weather it be buddhism, christian or hindu with an under current of empathy and acceptance in a multi cultural society.

Jakkass wrote: »
    We live in a society where people disagree.
    No s___, Tonto!
    I don't see why there is a reason for the OP to feel accosted by this.
    We agree on something :)

Flygimp wrote: »
    Then why has your theory and possible outcome not come to fruition in countries like New Zealand and Australia where education policies are secular by law. Religion is to be taught at the discretion of parents at home and school time is for education without bias. Yet across the board, places of worship sit next to each other weather it be buddhism, christian or hindu with an under current of empathy and acceptance in a multi cultural society.

It may well have worked in other countries but the church and religion in general seem to seen as the route of all evil by a lot of people in this country whether they admit it or not.

My point was that the church and religion are the subject of such negative feeling in this country I'd be afraid it wouldn't stop with merely removing religion in schools and the media.

Because that once that goal was achieved something else would fall under the spotlight like removing religious iconography or stopping the sale or religious books or shutting down the churches and insisting people only pray privately at home.

If you appease some-one or some group once you have to keep doing or there will be trouble, it becomes a never ending cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

It may well have worked in other countries but the church and religion in general seem to seen as the route of all evil by a lot of people in this country whether they admit it or not.

My point was that the church and religion are the subject of such negative feeling in this country I'd be afraid it wouldn't stop with merely removing religion in schools and the media.

Because that once that goal was achieved something else would fall under the spotlight like removing religious iconography or stopping the sale or religious books or shutting down the churches and insisting people only pray privately at home.

If you appease some-one or some group once you have to keep doing or there will be trouble, it becomes a never ending cycle.

That's absolutely ridiculous, I've never heard anyone saying religous books shouldn't be available. The only argument I've heard and agree with is that the state should be neutral on religion, no one religion should be given preference so that means not teaching one religion over others in school. If people want to set up churches praising bananas as their God I have no problem with that whatsover. No one would have to go to those churches if they don't want to. But school isn't like that. You have to go to get your education.

We live in a society where people disagree. Imagine that? - I don't see why there is a reason for the OP to feel accosted by this. There is no reason why he can't just get on with it, or try to make his case clearer.

I think his "case" is quite clear. But I for one don't want to hear it discussed with any greater volume than is the norm.

There's a reason why Dawkins won't usually entertain debates with theists about creationism and/ or evolution. It's because it lends the creationist a platform and credibility that their case has not earned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

*mind boggles*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Exactly. Now that gay people gained the right to be gay, they won't stop until the entire country is gay, and we can't stop them because we've given in to them before...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope tbh.

AS in the way Irish people had to appease the church for hundreds of years to the detriment of their native language, culture and identity... and fostered a culture of apathy which let a dictating power subject communities to child sweat shops, sexual predation, and the persecution of over 20,000 woman sent to mental institutions where they had their teeth pulled out and in many cases were lobotomised... then Ireland in certain periods of history has never been good at liberating woman. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

This video makes a few good points about the whole atheists and 'private' religion:

A few American political references, but the points still apply.

Also, no Atheist can become a Judge or President in Ireland.

Sorry?

Do you really think I'm calling for "appeasement" when I ask the unelected, unaccountable leaders of your religious organization to stop trying to block my child from being educated although I -- in my capacity as director of a small company -- pay significantly more than most of the population do in taxes to provide this education for everybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Do you really think I'm calling for "appeasement" when I ask the unelected, unaccountable leaders of your religious organization to stop trying to block my child from being educated although I -- in my capacity as director of a small company -- pay significantly more than most of the population do in taxes to provide this education for everybody?

Perhaps you should ask the elected, accountable leaders of the country, you might get further. Oh, and when you do, I'll gladly support your cause.

I'll join you prinz... I'll sort out a truck full of silage and a jack hammer for the stand off. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Sorry?

Could you elaborate on this a little please?
    Whose trying to block your child from being educated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

mossyc123 wrote: »
    Could you elaborate on this a little please?
    Whose trying to block your child from being educated?

It happens. Let's assume RobinDCH's child is not baptised, and his local school (all of his local schools, it's not a stretch of the imagination) are Catholic. If there is a shortage of places, his child will be refused entry in favour of a baptised one. This is, imo, a disgrace.

Tbh it really isn't as I've already explained. I did admit it was drastic but that was my point.
    AS in the way Irish people had to appease the church for hundreds of years to the detriment of their native language, culture and identity... and fostered a culture of apathy which let a dictating power subject communities to child sweat shops, sexual predation, and the persecution of over 20,000 woman sent to mental institutions where they had their teeth pulled out and in many cases were lobotomised... then Ireland in certain periods of history has never been good at liberating woman

And how well did appeasement work there?

It happens. Let's assume RobinDCH's child is not baptised, and his local school (all of his local schools, it's not a stretch of the imagination) are Catholic. If there is a shortage of places, his child will be refused entry in favour of a baptised one. This is, imo, a disgrace.

Tbh I have never once heard of that happening nowadays. Can you give an example, maybe a child you know or something?

Sorry?

No. What I meant was if you take religion from schools it won't be long another campaign starts to remove it from somewhere else.

Mark200 wrote: »

Also, no Atheist can become a Judge or President in Ireland.

I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe in this day and age. If I'm wrong I apologise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe in this day and age. If I'm wrong I apologise.

You have to swear on the bible

No. What I meant was if you take religion from schools it won't be long another campaign starts to remove it from somewhere else.

Terrific!
    Let's get started.

bluewolf wrote: »
    You have to swear on the bible

Ok but still that's not the same as saying you can't be athiest or any other religion is it?

• Advertisement

That's absolutely ridiculous, I've never heard anyone saying religous books shouldn't be available. The only argument I've heard and agree with is that the state should be neutral on religion, no one religion should be given preference so that means not teaching one religion over others in school. If people want to set up churches praising bananas as their God I have no problem with that whatsover. No one would have to go to those churches if they don't want to. But school isn't like that. You have to go to get your education.

But is that it really? Or people just want the Catholic religion gone from the public sphere and kept hidden at home altogether?

Serious question btw.

Advertisement