Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's greatest person

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Who's being pedantic now?

I literally don't know what you're on about. I'm merely posting back what you said. I am in no way being pedantic whatsoever.
    While it is in fact the internet i had hoped that we had come to view the history forum as a place where more thorough debate can be initiated and that it is not unusual to ask for sources, since history requires sources.

Yes, I did provide sources but apparantly I was supposed to provide an internet link.
    Can I ask if you would not put it in a scholarly essay, do you not think it is an opinion that could be well argued and is soundly based on historical fact? Because I would definitely put my opinion that he admired Connolly and held many of the same policies into any essay on the topic.

I think it is an opinion that could be argued but its not something I would dare put in an essay; partly because Collins wrote in generalities, partly because it would take a big leap to definitively make the case that I made. History deals mainly in certainties or near certainties. I never claimed it was a certainty, I said that 'I think' rather than 'Collins was'.

The best history discussions are provocative by the way, not when people sidestep around each other, constantly adding disclaimers such as 'I may be wrong here' or 'although it is highly unlikely' or 'I'm just thinking aloud here' etc. In short if I wanted to talk to a vegetable I would have went to Tesco's. EDIT: That really really isn't aimed at you. This exchange just reminded me of something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Morlar wrote: »
    I would agree with whoever said that putting Bono on that list is an insult to the other candidates. The vote rigging of homosexual advocacy groups that saw stephen gately make it into the top 10 list has already cast a shadow over the entire saga in my view & if bono was to somehow win the greatest Irishman title then in my view that'd be an insult to Irish history, culture and tradition. Out of the 5 on the list the only 2 that deserve to be there are Collins and Connolly in my view. As far as I can see that is who the competition is about.

I think if you swapped Bono for Parnell and Robinson for Daniel O'Connell then the list would be pretty respectable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... You can see most of those are taken directly from Connolly's manifesto's for the IRSP and the Labour party.
    ISRP I believe, but I've no wish to appear pedantic :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

mathepac wrote: »
    ISRP I believe, but I've no wish to appear pedantic :cool:

Quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I don't think that anyone suggested here that Collins was Marxist - in fact the contrary. But in A Path to Freedom he shows how fluid his economic polices were and suggests that "The profits from the mineral resources - the working of mines, the development of water power etc. - will belong to the nation for the advantage of the whole nation". In another place he writes "We will hope to see in Ireland industrial conciliation and arbitration taking the place of strikes and the workers sharing in the ownership and management of business".

A read of his essays does also certainly reveal him to be as nationalist and as passionately anti-English as anyone else who fought in 1916. So to suggest that Collins somehow was a shade apart is a false notion. Collins wanted rid of the English and freedom for Ireland - getting rid of the odious connection with England being a top priority that he comes back to again and again in these writings.

"The Irish struggle has always been for freedom- freedom from English occupation, from English interference and from English domination - not for freedom with any particular label attached to it. What we fought for at any particular time was the greatest measure of freedom obtainable at that time and it depended upon our strength whether the claim was greater than at another time or lesser than at another time."

Collins also lays the blame for the violence of 1916 at the door of the British forces. He writes "In the first two years all violence was the work of the British armed forces who in their efforts of suppression murdered fifteen Irishmen and wounded nearly 400 men, women and children. Meetings were broken up everywhere, National newspapers were suppressed. Over 1,000 men and women were arrested for political offenses, usually of the most trivial nature...These forces were kept here or sent here by the British government to harass the development of Irish self-government".

Collins goes on to describe the British presence in Ireland from 1916 to the time of the early 1920s as a 'Reign of Terror' - his words. He castigates the British presence in Ireland - emphasises the British policy of violence to suppress nationalism - and waves aside any suggestion that there was any change of heart on the side of the British to pulling back on the violence. The British "did not repent in the middle of their Black and Tan terror". Those in Britain who opposed this terror "were pacifists with very little power" - the same people who had opposed WWI without any results.

Collins describes as a false notion the idea that the British wanted peace in Ireland - in fact he says what they really wanted was "destruction of the national movement". He writes "In Aug 1920 a law was passed 'to restore law and order in Ireland', this law in reality abolished all law in Ireland and left the lives and property of the people defenceless before the British forces".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

I think if you swapped Bono for Parnell and Robinson for Daniel O'Connell then the list would be pretty respectable.
    You have made a good point there, not a fan of O'Connell but he deserves to be there instead of Robbo ( Mary Robinson), I think there should be at least one woman considered ( even if I'm accused of tokenism) As I said earlier, maybe Countess Markievicz would have been more worthy, 1916, suffragette and first woman MP, trade union agitator etc

MarchDub wrote: »
    I don't think that anyone suggested here that Collins was Marxist - in fact the contrary. But in A Path to Freedom he shows how fluid his economic polices were and suggests that "The profits from the mineral resources - the working of mines, the development of water power etc. - will belong to the nation for the advantage of the whole nation". In another place he writes "We will hope to see in Ireland industrial conciliation and arbitration taking the place of strikes and the workers sharing in the ownership and management of business".

A read of his essays does also certainly reveal him to be as nationalist and as passionately anti-English as anyone else who fought in 1916. So to suggest that Collins somehow was a shade apart is a false notion. Collins wanted rid of the English and freedom for Ireland - getting rid of the odious connection with England being a top priority that he comes back to again and again in these writings.

"The Irish struggle has always been for freedom- freedom from English occupation, from English interference and from English domination - not for freedom with any particular label attached to it. What we fought for at any particular time was the greatest measure of freedom obtainable at that time and it depended upon our strength whether the claim was greater than at another time or lesser than at another time."

Collins also lays the blame for the violence of 1916 at the door of the British forces. He writes "In the first two years all violence was the work of the British armed forces who in their efforts of suppression murdered fifteen Irishmen and wounded nearly 400 men, women and children. Meetings were broken up everywhere, National newspapers were suppressed. Over 1,000 men and women were arrested for political offenses, usually of the most trivial nature...These forces were kept here or sent here by the British government to harass the development of Irish self-government".

Collins goes on to describe the British presence in Ireland from 1916 to the time of the early 1920s as a 'Reign of Terror' - his words. He castigates the British presence in Ireland - emphasises the British policy of violence to suppress nationalism - and waves aside any suggestion that there was any change of heart on the side of the British to pulling back on the violence. The British "did not repent in the middle of their Black and Tan terror". Those in Britain who opposed this terror "were pacifists with very little power" - the same people who had opposed WWI without any results.

Collins describes as a false notion the idea that the British wanted peace in Ireland - in fact he says what they really wanted was "destruction of the national movement". He writes "In Aug 1920 a law was passed 'to restore law and order in Ireland', this law in reality abolished all law in Ireland and left the lives and property of the people defenceless before the British forces".
    No doubting you, where are the above quotes from, The Path to Freedom ?

No doubting you, where are the above quotes from, The Path to Freedom ?

Yes, the selection of various essays and notes written by Collins himself. All the quotes in my post are Collins' own words.

Yes, the selection of various essays and notes written by Collins himself. All the quotes in my post are Collins' own words.
    At Bachelors Walk in 1913 the British army killed 4 and wounded 30 or more. Collins writes "In the first two years all violence was the work of the British armed forces who in their efforts of suppression murdered fifteen Irishmen and wounded nearly 400 men, women and children."

Where the other deaths caused by attacks of meetings, cell beatings etc ? A bit off topic, but any idea anyone ?

At Bachelors Walk in 1913 the British army killed 4 and wounded 30 or more. Collins writes "In the first two years all violence was the work of the British armed forces who in their efforts of suppression murdered fifteen Irishmen and wounded nearly 400 men, women and children."

Where the other deaths caused by attacks of meetings, cell beatings etc ? A bit off topic, but any idea anyone ?

The quote you refer to is taken from Collins' essay "Collapse of the Terror" - the word 'terror' being applied by him to the British forces. The number he refers to is to the post 1916 'murders' [his word] by the British. Collins goes on say that "no police were killed during these two years [after the Rising]. The only disorder and bloodshed were the work of the British forces".

Again, everything within quotes are the words of Michael Collins.

• Advertisement

There were four people killed during the Lock Out weren't there? Can't think of other events atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

An t-Éireannach is fearr? Aodh Mór Ó Néill, gan amhras ar bith.

An extraordinary person at an extraordinary time in Ireland's history. It's embarrassing that any list of supposedly great Irish people could overlook him.

Dionysus wrote: »

An extraordinary person at an extraordinary time in Ireland's history. It's embarrassing that any list of supposedly great Irish people could overlook him.

Great choice!

Dionysus wrote: »

Agus Aodh Ruadh Ó Domhnaill.

Agus Aodh Ruadh Ó Domhnaill.

Yes. Him too. You know some years ago I was reading some of the source material from the Battle of Kinsale and something that always stayed with me was the description of O'Donnell - in the jaws of defeat - running around the rear of the Irish army lines - when they were in retreat- desperately trying to convince them to stay their positions. A man of great passion and conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Stunned Bono made that list but then again it says more about the people voting for him. Serious question. Has he ever done anything at all for the people of this country? He doesn't even pay tax. I'm a greater Irishman.

Michael Davitt or James Joyce perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Seems that the proportion of sheeple in Ireland compared with other nations is increasing, proof of this is the inclusion of Bono, Gatley & the other media airhead celebrities.

Many of the real greatest Irish people will be turning in their graves that all they aspired to for the future has been reduced to this trivia.

Brainwashing the populace has now achieved such complete success that even Goebbels could only have dreamed of!:mad:

The fact that Stephen Gately could even be considered for inclusion says a lot about our vacuousness as a society. This should be evidence enough against an Athenian style democracy...

This has reminded me of an internet book award last year... Guess who won? Bill Cullen. Yes, thats right, Bill Cullen.

Gateley was included and scored high due an internet campaign among the gays to give him a high score :rolleyes: Whatever about Bono, at least he has done a bit more for the less fortunate in the world than that airhead Gateley.

Yes. Him too. You know some years ago I was reading some of the source material from the Battle of Kinsale and something that always stayed with me was the description of O'Donnell - in the jaws of defeat - running around the rear of the Irish army lines - when they were in retreat- desperately trying to convince them to stay their positions. A man of great passion and conviction.
    There's a book called Survivors which is a series of interviews with IRA men and women from 1916 to 1921. In the introduction they have Red Hugh's speech before his victory the Battle of the Curlews in 1599. Stirring stuff indeed, one of the best speeches in Irish history I've ever read. Aodh Ruadh is still held in the highest esteem in his native Donegal to this day, for example with two GAA clubs named in his honour, Aodh Ruadh of Ballyshannon and Red Hugh's of Killygordon.

• Advertisement

In the introduction they have Red Hugh's speech before his victory the Battle of the Curlews in 1599. Stirring stuff indeed, one of the best speeches in Irish history I've ever read.

Most of these speeches are embellished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SineadMaria

as the title of this thread is Ireland's greatest person
    i suggest Countess Markievicz as she played an active role in both the 1916 rising and in post 1916 Ireland

as the title of this thread is Ireland's greatest person
    i suggest Countess Markievicz as she played an active role in both the 1916 rising and in post 1916 Ireland

No offence, but is that solely because she was a woman? I find that patronising if that is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SineadMaria

no it is not just because she is a woman, its about what she achieved

Denerick wrote: »
    No offence, but is that solely because she was a woman? I find that patronising if that is the case.

You'd give out if someone said something similar about your posts. Sinead didn't say 'because she's a woman' so why infer it?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

It is unfortunate that no great Irish writer has made the final shortlist and the list is poorer for their omission. Ireland has been allowed more than its fair share of great writers and for a list such as this to be legitimate Joyce, Yeats and Beckett deserve to be in the running.
    Joyce would be my own nomination - the celebration of simple human decency displayed in Ulysses elevates him to a level that merits inclusion in any such list. Beckett also outstrips Bono anyday.
    It's not even a case of apples and oranges... more like apples and combustion engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Beckett also outstrips Bono anyday.
    It's not even a case of apples and oranges... more like apples and combustion engines.

i have already made an anti-Bono comment on this thread but your comment is on the money. i'm not into yeats or joyce but rather them than bono. i dont know if bono gives any of his own money to all the causes he promotes but he reminds me of the smiley people who stop you in the street and ask you to give X ammount each month to their particular cause or charity, they get paid for this and dont do it for charity. if you ask any of them if they give to the charity themselves they will answer NO. and before anyone asks how i know this i have asked some of them when they stoped me.to me imo this fits in with bonos profile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭purplepanda

i dont know if bono gives any of his own money to all the causes he promotes but he reminds me of the smiley people who stop you in the street and ask you to give X ammount each month to their particular cause or charity, they get paid for this and dont do it for charity. if you ask any of them if they give to the charity themselves they will answer NO. and before anyone asks how i know this i have asked some of them when they stoped me.to me imo this fits in with bonos profile

Doubt if Bono even gives money to charity equal to the tax that he manages avoid paying.

The description above sums him up perfectly, a charity mugger, often known as a "chugger"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well to copy paste paraphrase what I said on the AH thread of the same name;

Columbanus would be the one on my list. Forget the religious angle, look more on his artistic heart(One of the decent poets of his time and defended the bards against censure), his serious intellect, his force of will and that yearning to travel the world and make it better. Christianity hit and on its coattails so did scholarship and a deep love for language and the written word. We were ripe for it. And in its wake we built the greatest period of indigenous learning and culture in our history.

And then we exported it back to Europe. Columbanus traveled all over Europe founding monasteries and seats of learning and ended his days by founding Bobbio in Italy, which became one of the greatest seats of learning in medieval Europe. The seats of learning these Irishmen founded all over Europe went a long way towards raising the so called dark ages up a notch. Without their influence Charlemagne's mini renaissance would likely not have happened. He and his heirs looked to the traveling eriugena for wisdom and scholarship.

That's just scratching the surface of the debt owed to Europe and not just to us. He and his fellows influence made a serious difference to the world after Rome fell. More, he should be the "patron saint" of the Irish abroad*, all from such a tiny nation, who have done much to light up this world. Countless unheralded numbers of his fellow countrymen and women still do the same today. There is scarcely a corner of this earth we are not in, or have had an influence in. I remember an interview with Kate Adie(sp) the BBC reporter who noted that no matter where she went where there was some humanitarian crisis there would be Irish voices already there to be heard soothing those in need and helping rebuild lives. That's something we should be justly proud of.

That's why I give props to Columbanus. He's the best example of his kind. We don't know what he looked like, we don't know how he sounded, no celebrity for him. He leaves us that better thing, an idea, an insane quest for something better and a life well lived.

*He's actually the patron saint of bikers. Hells angel monk. Worth a vote on that alone and I suspect he'd have loved the notion. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

A rather controversial one perhaps, I personally would hold Bobby Sands and the hunger strikers up as among Ireland's greatest.

Clearly courageous men, who died for their beliefs and cause, plus Bobby had that all important political mandate I hear so much about, as did some of the other strikers. Perhaps more importantly his election signaled the beginnings of a shift towards the ballot box.

Thoughts?

Advertisement