Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I hate about diabetes! (in a funny way)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Re the high blood sugar or low blood sugars, i think the nurse thought that they were two different diseases. She didnt seem to understand that they were caused by too much or too little insulin. It doesnt do my trust in nurses any boost though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

5live wrote: »
    Re the high blood sugar or low blood sugars, i think the nurse thought that they were two different diseases. She didnt seem to understand that they were caused by too much or too little insulin. It doesnt do my trust in nurses any boost though

That is pretty bad tbh. Although I recently had a medical student ask me if the initial symptoms of my diabetes were caused by an insulinoma. A tumour that secretes insulin causing the symptoms of diabetes? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Was at the EASD conference last week when a guy from one of the industry stand came over to chat thinking i was a MD. I pointed out I'm a Type 1 Diabetic.

Then in front of my work colleague asked did I take a look at their ED drug as "50% of all diabetics have ED", I told him I didn't need it just yet, and thats a hell of a statistic to be throwing out there without any references. He then looked me up and down, and said call over to me later and we can have a private chat about it :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

CramCycle wrote: »
    Was at the EASD conference last week when a guy from one of the industry stand came over to chat thinking i was a MD. I pointed out I'm a Type 1 Diabetic.

Then in front of my work colleague asked did I take a look at their ED drug as "50% of all diabetics have ED", I told him I didn't need it just yet, and thats a hell of a statistic to be throwing out there without any references. He then looked me up and down, and said call over to me later and we can have a private chat about it :eek:
    Eating disorders? Most of the female type 1's that I know of have had them at some stage - maybe I hang around in unusual circles...Someone said to me once that diabetes was the fat person's illness - I corrected him but was very upset about it - if a size 8 is big he has problems.

My husband had something funny said to him at a first aid course - will get him to post about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Eating disorders? Most of the female type 1's that I know of have had them at some stage - maybe I hang around in unusual circles...

My husband had something funny said to him at a first aid course - will get him to post about it.

My first thought was ED=Erectile Dysfunction?!?!?!?

If im right then OMG WHAT AN ASS!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Eating disorders?Erectile Dysfunction Most of the female type 1's that I know of have had them at some stage - maybe I hang around in unusual circles...

It's possible I missed a joke somewhere but just in case, no eating disorder or ED of any kind to report at the moment :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Someone said to me once that diabetes was the fat person's illness - I corrected him but was very upset about it - if a size 8 is big he has problems.

I'm assuming they were talking about type 2, as being overweight is the main cause of it, as I found out myself.

Which oddly enough brings me to the thing I hate about diabetes right now - none of my clothes fit me, they're all too big. Even the load of stuff I bought in the States less than 2 months ago are too big because I'm shrinking so fast. Not a bad complaint really, but I hate clothes shopping!

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm assuming they were talking about type 2, as being overweight is the main cause of it, as I found out myself.

Which oddly enough brings me to the thing I hate about diabetes right now - none of my clothes fit me, they're all too big. Even the load of stuff I bought in the States less than 2 months ago are too big because I'm shrinking so fast. Not a bad complaint really, but I hate clothes shopping!
    I am a type 1, bmi of 20 (ie am on the skinnier side of normal). People need to be educated. When I was initially getting my wedding dress done the designer was upset when she heard that I am diabetic as she said that I could baloon up "4 sizes" overnight - I got a different person to do my dress!

In my husband's case on the first iad training course ttey said that there were two types of diabetes - hypo and hyper :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I have jeans I bought 10+ years ago that are now loose on me. The weight fluctuations mean I'm getting use out of everything I've bought over the years. A good thing about diabetes maybe? :confused:

kowloon wrote: »
    I have jeans I bought 10+ years ago that are now loose on me. The weight fluctuations mean I'm getting use out of everything I've bought over the years. A good thing about diabetes maybe? :confused:

Thats interesting about your weight changing, I thought it was just me. Does this happen to all diabetics??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I am a type 1, bmi of 20 (ie am on the skinnier side of normal). People need to be educated. When I was initially getting my wedding dress done the designer was upset when she heard that I am diabetic as she said that I could baloon up "4 sizes" overnight - I got a different person to do my dress!

Well to be fair, all you see in the media these days is that there is a diabetes "epidemic" due to people being overweight and having a sedentary lifestyle, so it's really not that surprising that someone would associate diabetes with being overweight. Yes I agree that there should be better education about the illness, but if I was nitpicking, from your remarks I could argue that you need to be educated about type 2 diabetes. But that's not to say that I would expect you to know all about it, it's not what you have yourself, in the same way that although I know multiple sclerosis exists, I don't need to know the details because it doesn't affect me. Just last week I was talking to a type 1 diabetic in work who was commenting to how much better I was looking since I lost so much weight, and I told her that I had been diagnosed as type 2. Her reply was that at least it was "only" type 2. Now fair enough I haven't reached the stage where I have to inject myself, and if I look after myself well enough I can hopefully postpone that for a few years at the very least, but that doesn't mean that it's a lesser illness and it hasn't had a major impact on my life.

Zaph, I agree that I know very little about type 2 diabetes - I just know my type and am not as knowledgeble about type 2. I did meet a lot of gestational diabetic's recently though.

eilo1 wrote: »
    Thats interesting about your weight changing, I thought it was just me. Does this happen to all diabetics??

Used to happen to me all the time, often referred to as John Travolta, as even with good control I was fluctuating between 10 and 14 stone. Alas I seem to be stuck at the higher end of that scale for the past two years :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭viper.10

heres the things i "hate": 1. having to take jabs and chocolate on a night out with me 2. people see me having a bar and they freak out thinking im about to drop 3. having to eat in the mornings when im hung over 4. leaving the house, forgetting my insulin and having to go back for it - there probably more just cant remember</p>

viper.10 wrote: »
    ...there probably more just cant remember

That's probably the constant hypos :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭viper.10

CramCycle wrote: »
    That's probably the constant hypos :p

ha maybe your on to something there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

When I take a jab of insulin without doing an "airjab" first, and the button clicks in too easily, and I don't know if any insulin went in or not. Why can't I just learn to do a test press first!!

in other news, only diabetics will understand that post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 justplainme

tbh wrote: »
    When I take a jab of insulin without doing an "airjab" first, and the button clicks in too easily, and I don't know if any insulin went in or not. Why can't I just learn to do a test press first!!

in other news, only diabetics will understand that post.

I used to be so bad for not doing that..now that I'm in the habit of it, alot of my unexplained "highs" could now be explained :o this morning I had to dial up 10 units before anything came out!! another time I'd have just injected air!!

annoying having to bring my insulin pen & testing kit everywhere!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I dont airjab!!! Penny just dropping!!!! Wait for it.... THUNK. Thanks guys. Will start today as i havent for about 10 years

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I don't do the airjab. But I have been caught out with pens that let me dial up more than they had left in them before, but then don't stop at the point where they ran out of insulin. Similar result being you have no idea as to how much magic juice you just gave yourself.

• Advertisement

5live wrote: »
    I dont airjab!!! Penny just dropping!!!! Wait for it.... THUNK. Thanks guys. Will start today as i havent for about 10 years

Warm fuzzy feeling in my tummy for starting this thread!

I used to sometime take my levimire instead of my novorapid or vise vera, (Homer Simpson style dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

eilo1 wrote: »
    Warm fuzzy feeling in my tummy for starting this thread!

I used to sometime take my levimire instead of my novorapid or vise vera, (Homer Simpson style dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Taking n/rapid instead of lantus: guilt free pigout ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Meeting your friends or work colleagues on a Monday and they ask you how was your weekend and you answer something like "I went a bit mad on Saturday night, I had a whole bag of Doritos and I'm still feeling a bit sh1t now".

When the phrase "I'm tired" is never met with a reply of "tough week?" or "bad day?" or "I know what you mean!", instead one of the following responses occurs:

"How is your diabetes recently?"

"Are your bloods OK?"

"Are you low?"

"Are you high?"

I keep forgetting that Diabetics only get/feel tired when their Diabetes is out of whack as opposed to possibly being the same as everyone else!

Advertisement