Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will we ever see the likes of the Provisional IRA again?

Options
  • 18-09-2010 8:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Considering the campaign the PIRA took and the eventual deal which was brokered between them and the British Governemnt,
    do you think we'll ever see the likes of a guerilla army such as the Provisonal IRA emerge in Ireland again?
    I think once the dust settles from the troubles a new generation will pursue political violence but im not sure weather it will be of the scale of the last 40 years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Maybe. Throughout history Irish rebellions have arose once the death and destruction of what went before is forgotten.

It really depends on where the GFA will lead us. If it remains as it is currently then I can see further violence a few decades down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

no u will never see it like that again.the pira brought ireland as close as they could and brought equal rights to n.i.they were very ruthless but very very determined.if fact the british government described them as a very powerful and determined unit with extreme cababilities.no theres a few young ones about but will never achieved wat the provos did

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Maybe. Throughout history Irish rebellions have arose once they death and destruction of what went before is forgotten.

It really depends on where the GFA will lead us. If it remains as it is currently then I can see further violence a few decades down the line.
    well thats true.but not on the scale as before.they will not have the weaponary as the pira did.they still had 40 more years of weaponary left.the problem up there now is the unemployment in the catholic youth and the numbers of young catholics way out strips the prodesant youth.i hope no more war errupts thou

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Maybe. Throughout history Irish rebellions have arose once they death and destruction of what went before is forgotten.

i was thinking the same thing. if you look at the sectarian violence that belfast experienced in 1920 it was quite similar to that of the early 1970s. who says in 50 years time it wont happen again. the next generation wont have experienced the pain of war and who knows what can happen.

paky wrote: »
    i was thinking the same thing. if you look at the sectarian violence that belfast experienced in 1920 it was quite similar to that of the early 1970s. who says in 50 years time it wont happen again. the next generation wont have experienced the pain of war and who knows what can happen.
    ireland unfree shall never be at peace

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The root of it, the real crux of it, is that republican violence will never cease until the occupying forces are gone, whether that will be the type of violence we have now with OnH etc or a much bigger campaign I do not know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

+1 to the last 2 posts. It all boils down to the uncomfortable fact that a foreign country still occupies Ireland. Hopefully that'll change soon. I also hope that if we do ever need anyone like the PIRA again, that people will have the balls to step up to the plate and do their bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Yes if a united ireland ever happens except it'll be the uda and uvf.

no u will never see it like that again.the pira brought ireland as close as they could and brought equal rights to n.i.they were very ruthless but very very determined.if fact the british government described them as a very powerful and determined unit with extreme cababilities.no theres a few young ones about but will never achieved wat the provos did

No they brought trouble and ruined loads of peoples lives.:mad:

What happened in the 1920s?

• Advertisement

ireland unfree shall never be at peace

nor will there be peace with a united ireland so stop dreaming.

+1 to the last 2 posts. It all boils down to the uncomfortable fact that a foreign country still occupies Ireland. Hopefully that'll change soon. I also hope that if we do ever need anyone like the PIRA again, that people will have the balls to step up to the plate and do their bit.

What do you mean by need? We in ni do not relay on them we hate them. What about your last point what do you mean like do their bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

owenc wrote: »
    Yes if a united ireland ever happens except it'll be the uda and uvf.

Would you support them in that situation?

Glassheart wrote: »
    Would you support them in that situation?

I wouldn't take part but i suppose i might support them to an extent if it was because of an united ireland but if they started mass murdering like the ira then no. They would have loads of support here i know loads of lovely caring people who had parents in it.. and i'd suspect them ones to rejoin if a united ireland happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

Loyalist pogroms, RUC murder squads, gerrymandering, sectarianism etc. And that was by the government...

Why am I always surprised at the lack of understanding on these type of threads.

kja1888 wrote: »
    Loyalist pogroms, RUC murder squads, gerrymandering, sectarianism etc. And that was by the government...

Why am I always surprised at the lack of understanding on these type of threads.

So pretty much the same as the troubles, why does everyone run down the ruc they did a great job for what they stood for..

So pretty much the same as the troubles, why does everyone run down the ruc they did a great job for what they stood for..

You're missing the point....the RUC and the Stormont government were the perpatrators.. read up about the McMahon family murders and other outrages committed by the RUC. If the British government or their representatives ever behaved in that brutal, oppressive, sectarian fashion again, then obviously the people would react.

If you think the RUC did a great job you were obviously never on the receiving end of their particular brand of "justice".

You're missing the point....the RUC and the Stormont government were the perpatrators.. read up about the McMahon family murders and other outrages committed by the RUC. If the British government or their representatives ever behaved in that brutal, oppressive, sectarian fashion again, then obviously the people would react.

If you think the RUC did a great job you were obviously never on the receiving end of their particular brand of "justice".

obvioulsy not my dad was in the ruc and he said that they deserved a gol metal for the stuff they did and then have to listen to republicans run them down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Some terrible things happened in the 1920's, mob srunning families out of areas,
    ,dock workers being tossed into the Lagan, homes being burned out.

And a lot of it carried out by the State, well a blind eye turned to the mobs
    And once this died down, gerrymandering and other abuses came in.

If an United Ireland is ever to come about there are communities who will want assurances that the same won't happen to them.

It won't in my opinion but you can see what can happen to minority communities in the past when they are left without protection.

Or more to the point the State that is supposed to protect them turns agains them.

obvioulsy not my dad was in the ruc and he said that they deserved a gol metal for the stuff they did and then have to listen to republicans run them down..

Unlike nationalists who were actually run down by the RUC in their Landrovers. The RUC got plenty of medals over the years, but if they gave out medals for intimidation, torture, perjury and collusion, then yes, the RUC would have got a Gold medal alright. Maybe your dad was one of the good ones, but there was plenty of them that wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in any other police force in the world.

• Advertisement

Some terrible things happened in the 1920's, mob srunning families out of areas,
    ,dock workers being tossed into the Lagan, homes being burned out.

And a lot of it carried out by the State, well a blind eye turned to the mobs
    And once this died down, gerrymandering and other abuses came in.

If an United Ireland is ever to come about there are communities who will want assurances that the same won't happen to them.

It won't in my opinion but you can see what can happen to minority communities in the past when they are left without protection.

Or more to the point the State that is supposed to protect them turns agains them.

Well they should do it by counties so that can't happen.

Unlike nationalists who were actually run down by the RUC in their Landrovers. The RUC got plenty of medals over the years, but if they gave out medals for intimidation, torture, perjury and collusion, then yes, the RUC would have got a Gold medal alright. Maybe your dad was one of the good ones, but there was plenty of them that wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in any other police force in the world.

My dad was the good one, the type your talking about are bigots and that very rarely happened so don't brand them all please..... my dad never mentioned anything like that happening in his time which showed how rare it is, its almost like propaganda, one thing republicans are always doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

An interesting point on the counties

When the Boundary commission was in place the original report was not going to create Northern Ireland along county lines.
    Areas like East Donegal, 3 miles east of Derry would be included in NI, possibly part of Monaghan also.
    At the same time areas of other counties like Tyrone were to be included in the Free State

Well, everyone disagreed with it and it went back to 6 counties.
    TG4 did a great documentary on it, it was 2004 when I saw it.

So what do you mean do it by counties? Can you expand on that?
    Coleraine, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

owenc, take a look at your passport
    Northern Ireland is not part of the United Kingdom

You live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

An interesting point on the counties

When the Boundary commission was in place the original report was not going to create Northern Ireland along county lines.
    Areas like East Donegal, 3 miles east of Derry would be included in NI, possibly part of Monaghan also.
    At the same time areas of other counties like Tyrone were to be included in the Free State

Well, everyone disagreed with it and it went back to 6 counties.
    TG4 did a great documentary on it, it was 2004 when I saw it.

So what do you mean do it by counties? Can you expand on that?

owenc, take a look at your passport
    Northern Ireland is not part of the United Kingdom

You live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Aye it is! now we are not even going to go there.:rolleyes: Anyway, i think this time they should go by counties and make the odd exception for constiueny like the east londonderry constuency which is asurprisingly high unionist contiuency for west of the bann as they call it.:rolleyes: (even though my area is the most protestant area in county londerry and antrim) thats why i get offended when people say derry is a nationalist county, ugh.. the last time i checked its not, the next time say derry city, but otherwise they should keep antrim and down and derry in the uk and take out the rest as they are just as much unionist as donegal, i mean protestants in fermangh are a rariety theres only 4 presbyterian churches there:eek: and theres friggen 3 on my bloody road in the countryside with high attendances shows how protestant them areas are!

sectarian violence is a product of British Rule.

sectarian violence is a product of British Rule.

It is also the product of a united ireland i can guarntee you that, they probably have it all planned out..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Ironic the way the uvf scum have the word Ulster in their title, yet they call themselves british. If, no, when a united Ireland comes about, the uvf would be the first target, they wouldn't last pissing time. As for HOW a united Ireland will be achieved, I'm loathe to say it, but I think a spot of ethnic cleansing is the only way

It is also the product of a united ireland i can guarntee you that, they probably have it all planned out..

tell me how? there was no lasting sectarian violence in the 26 counties after the Brits left so why would the 6 counties be any different?

tell me how? there was no lasting sectarian violence in the 26 counties after the Brits left so why would the 6 counties be any different?

Because the protestants down south are a totally different group they are anglo irish they mixed in with the native irish and converted to catholisim over the years thats why theres so little protestants down south, and the protestants up here are presbyterians and very high in numbers they never mixed with the natives and they are of a different ethnicy they are scottish the ones down south are english.;)

• Advertisement

Ironic the way the uvf scum have the word Ulster in their title, yet they call themselves british. If, no, when a united Ireland comes about, the uvf would be the first target, they wouldn't last pissing time. As for HOW a united Ireland will be achieved, I'm loathe to say it, but I think a spot of ethnic cleansing is the only way

They so would you have no idea how much support they would have... and we unionists consider ulster as northern ireland. And as for ethnic cleansing that won't work as you have seen the catholic church numbers are starting to rise as well as the presbyterian and church of ireland numbers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement