Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neuro-Linguistic Programming used by News Anchors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

No surprise really and not only in regard to 9/11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

Cheers for the link. That Hannity fella makes me nauseous.

NLP is a very powerful technique and has been used by salesmen and showmen for a very long time. First time I came across it was watching a Louis Theroux documentary on hypnosis and pick-up artists were using it to pick up chicks. To give you an idea of the kind of character we are dealing with -the guy featured in the docu is the basis for Tom Cruise's character in Magnolia. Slighty of topic but here he is in action:

NLP is also very popular with the likes of Anthony Robbins, Oprah Winfrey and the self-help movement which I think is a big part of the government agenda to control the masses and divert peoples attention away from social issues and onto themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

NLP is nonsense, it's a pseudoscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Im sure you have noticed at some stage of your life that sometimes an audience can be made to laugh just with a comedians gesture or facial expression.
    And they can repeat it and keep getting laughs.
    This would be called an anchor in nlp and i see it can work.
    This can also apply to news readers.Laughing doesnt have to be the only emotion that is manipulated.And using emotion also helps pass information into the unconscious mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

Torakx wrote: »
    Im sure you have noticed at some stage of your life that sometimes an audience can be made to laugh just with a comedians gesture or facial expression.
    And they can repeat it and keep getting laughs.
    This would be called an anchor in nlp and i see it can work.
    This can also apply to news readers.Laughing doesnt have to be the only emotion that is manipulated.And using emotion also helps pass information into the unconscious mind.

Shown to work pretty well in the second half of this clip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Thats some statement to make.
    NLP is actually quite affective.
    Whether you believe it to be purely a tool for "evil" is another story all together.
    Just because you're a "sceptic" doesn't mean you should make daft statements like that just because the topic was posted by a "CTer".

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The news anchors were in on it as well? Reckon I'm about the only person that wasn't in on the 9/11 Conspiracy at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

Wow, I can't believe this nonsense. Particularly at the end of the first video, the narrator claims that Hannity's hand gesture when talking about the towers falling was 'sorcery'...

Conspiracy theorists are treated like this because their claims offend people, especially in such a sensitive issue as 9/11. No matter how that interview was conducted in the OP, the narrator would have paused and commented on some non-event making it seem like some of this pseudo-science was in action.

I stopped watching midway through the second video at the 666 part. Complete tosh. :rolleyes:

Loads of illusiuonists and mentalists use NLP i think..Where's King Mob ye need him? He should be able to set the record straight on this

Conspiracy theorists are treated like this because their claims offend people, especially in such a sensitive issue as 9/11. No matter how that interview was conducted in the OP, the narrator would have paused and commented on some non-event making it seem like some of this pseudo-science was in action.

It not just conspiracy theorists who are treated like this. Generally in society all across the world, people with a view that is considered anything but "the norm", are ridiculed and singled out by the sheep, the clones.

The reason for this is to keep people in line, to keep them in fear of being ridiculed by the masses.

It takes courage and character to stand out from the crowd and speak your mind. These actions should be encouraged and applauded weather he is right or wrong or weather the topic is "sensitive" or not.

They invited him on the air when they could have just left it.
    They invited answers from the professor but cut him off midway multiple times when they could have just left it.
    They insulted and ridiculed him with the risk of exposing themselves for what they are when they could have just left it.

The professor was invited onto the show for one reason, it is quite obvious and it is this...

They wanted to subconsciously anchor automated reactions and emotions in the viewers minds for when they are approached by someone with the same opinions as the professor their automatic response will be...

"oh, I seen this on the news, you're an extremist nut who hates his Country".

So, wow, I can't believe your response to this blatantly obvious form of "sorcery".

NLP ? who knows for sure. Mass manipulation ? Absofukinlutely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Meh, the only thing these "conservative political commentators" make me want to do is vomit. If that's their aim then congratulations, just don't think for a second I'll ever vote for you or your ilk.

To deal with the subject at hand though, look at Hannity while interviewing that nut from the Westboro Baptist Church. He's doing exactly the same thing with regards cutting her off and making the hand motions, you think he's trying to do something similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

It takes courage and character to stand out from the crowd and speak your mind. These actions should be encouraged and applauded weather he is right or wrong or weather the topic is "sensitive" or not.
    Using 9/11 as an example again, why would these people be encouraged and applauded when their claims are often absurd an offensive? What about those conspiracy theorists that claim there were no planes and that the people who were meant to be on the planes were murdered or brought to some secret military base? Or the people who disrespect some of the greatest human achievements by saying we never landed on the moon or that aliens built the pyramids?
    The professor was invited onto the show for one reason, it is quite obvious and it is this...
    It's probably nothing more than Fox having nothing of interest happening that day. An interview with a CT abut 9/11 is always going to spark viewer interest.
    They wanted to subconsciously anchor automated reactions and emotions in the viewers minds for when they are approached by someone with the same opinions as the professor their automatic response will be...
    Viewers would have the same reactions anyway because that is how most people respond to claims that your government massacred over 3000 of their own citizens in the guise of a terrorist attack, they don't need to conduct some carefully orchestrated interview to subconsciously tell people how to react to CTs. It's a natural reaction.
    So, wow, I can't believe your response to this blatantly obvious form of "sorcery".
    areyouawizard.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

So where's the linguistic element in that then?

For NLP to work if indeed it does at all, the communication needs to be two way. The programmer needs to steer the person being programmed according to their responses. The client's utterances are what the programmer hones in on...

Now unless you're a complete nut job and think that your television is watching you how the hell can you have NLP via a one way communication such as television?

It not just conspiracy theorists who are treated like this. Generally in society all across the world, people with a view that is considered anything but "the norm", are ridiculed and singled out by the sheep, the clones.

The reason for this is to keep people in line, to keep them in fear of being ridiculed by the masses.

Not even a page into the discussion and the persecution complex and self-affirmation card comes out.

And since we're kinda on the subject, psychologically speaking this is what happens when someone's integrity is challenged. By feeling the need to affirm their stance shows us that the OP, is suffering cognitive dissonance, that's to say they don't fully believe the argument they are initially putting forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

nullzero wrote: »
    Thats some statement to make.
    NLP is actually quite affective.
    Whether you believe it to be purely a tool for "evil" is another story all together.
    Just because you're a "sceptic" doesn't mean you should make daft statements like that just because the topic was posted by a "CTer".

It really isn't.
    Pseudoscience is a methodology, belief, or practice that is claimed to be scientific, or that is made to appear to be scientific, but which does not adhere to an appropriate scientific methodology

There's no sound scientific basis or research supporting NLP and it's pretty derided by psychologists in general.

A much better CT would have been whether it was made up to peddle seminars to gullible people, but I doubt there's any youtube videos on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

studiorat wrote: »
    So where's the linguistic element in that then?

For NLP to work if indeed it does at all, the communication needs to be two way. The programmer needs to steer the person being programmed according to their responses. The client's utterances are what the programmer hones in on...

Now unless you're a complete nut job and think that your television is watching you how the hell can you have NLP via a one way communication such as television?

Thats debateable really.NLP as a topic has been considered to cover not only the linguistic aspect, but also communication through gestures and facial signs as well as kinestethic ques.
    What they supposedly have learned is that humans in general respond to well known gestures.
    The comedian impersonating G.W Bush was a good example of that.And for me shows an ability to be able to remember symbols and programme them into a routine.Reminds me of other symbols that are used in the media.
    I agree though that it is more effective when the practicioner is in person and has a one on one situation to work with.Then it is much more effective.The stuff the news readers are using looks effective with symbols and sometimes tone of voice i guess.Also alot of WHAT they say when phrasing a comment of question is very leading.
    You wont notice alot of stuff when just seeing it once live on the news,so i would say it has the possibilities to be very effective still,but in a very mild and subtle way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,230 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

joebucks wrote: »
    Loads of illusiuonists and mentalists use NLP i think..Where's King Mob ye need him? He should be able to set the record straight on this
    The NLP you are describing is total bull**** invented by people who want there to be a conspiracy read too much into anything to "prove" it.

The NLP used by mentalist is nothing like what the people in the news are supposedly do, nor can it actually produce the effects that are being claimed.

Most mentalists don't use it as often as they claim anyway.

Thanks for replying, from your profile signature i thought you would be knowledgeable on this subject.
    King Mob wrote: »
    The NLP you are describing is total bull****

I disagree. Politicians, news anchors, talk show hosts,salespeople etc are trained to use language (both verbal and non-verbal) to influence the emotions of the audience/customer.
    invented by people who want there to be a conspiracy read too much into anything to "prove" it.

Even if the presenters are using NLP as the video suggests, it would not prove any conspiracy to be true.
    The NLP used by mentalist is nothing like what the people in the news are supposedly do, nor can it actually produce the effects that are being claimed.
    Most mentalists don't use it as often as they claim anyway.

I am very interested in this topic, is there any resources you can direct me towards to find out more about the NLP used by mentalists?

I disagree. Politicians, news anchors, talk show hosts,salespeople etc are trained to use language (both verbal and non-verbal) to influence the emotions of the audience/customer.

Even if the presenters are using NLP as the video suggests, it would not prove any conspiracy to be true.
    What evidence do you have that they such training?
    Because all I see in those videos is people trying hard to find significance in nothing to support their forgone conclusions.
    I am very interested in this topic, is there any resources you can direct me towards to find out more about the NLP used by mentalists?
    No. Magician's code.

What evidence do you have that they such training?

I can't share that with you. CT code.

I can't share that with you. CT code.
    That would explain the total lack of actual evidence around here....

• Advertisement

Ah come on. It was a good comeback, he got you good. Just laugh it off.;)

Glazers Out!

What evidence are you looking for? That Hannity or politicians or the like have media coaching or communications training?

This fella here Eric Seidel claims Hannity himself as one of his students

http://www.tmt-themediatrainers.com/about/meet_trainers.shtml
    During his broadcast news and programming career, he hired and developed two well known nationally syndicated radio hosts, Sean Hannity and Clark Howard. Also, future network anchors and reporters, including Forrest Sawyer, Louise Schiavonne and Ed Gullo worked for him when he led what was at the time the Southeast's largest and most highly honored radio news staff at WGST, Atlanta. His news staff captured many awards, including the International Programming Award, a national Sigma Delta Chi/Society of Professional Journalists Award and several Radio-TV News Director Association Edward R. Murrow Awards.

As for politicians, here is a recent article about Nick Clegg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/election/article-1267839/How-Nick-Clegg-prepared-TV-debate-Sky-presenter-tells-talk-public-like-year-olds.html
    A spokesman for the Lib Dems insisted it was ‘no secret’ that Mr Clegg had been using media training.

Although Mr Chisholm advises against jargon, his firm teaches its clients to use ‘neuro-linguistic programming’ to ‘train their brain to create a successful outcome to every meeting and speaking opportunity’.

What evidence are you looking for? That Hannity or politicians or the like have media coaching or communications training?
    That they have been trained with NLP for the purpose of controlling those who watch them.
    Or evidence that NLP can do any of the crap that's being claimed?
    This fella here Eric Seidel claims Hannity himself as one of his students

http://www.tmt-themediatrainers.com/about/meet_trainers.shtml
    No mention of NLP that I can see.
    Nothing there about him training all news presenters....
    I find it ironic that is a thread about how the media is trying to control people you then post an article from the Daily Mail.

Also:
    train their brain to create a successful outcome to every meeting and speaking opportunity’.
    That doesn't sound like the crap that's being claimed about NLP.

And finally, why if all the media and the government are trying to secretly control people with NLP, why is this being reported at all?

Ah come on. It was a good comeback, he got you good. Just laugh it off.;)

Gonna join in on the discussion at all?

Gonna join in on the discussion at all?

I was being nice to you.
    You're a real ray of sunshine aren't you?

Glazers Out!

Using 9/11 as an example again, why would these people be encouraged and applauded when their claims are often absurd an offensive? What about those conspiracy theorists that claim there were no planes and that the people who were meant to be on the planes were murdered or brought to some secret military base? Or the people who disrespect some of the greatest human achievements by saying we never landed on the moon or that aliens built the pyramids?

It not offensive to think or speak. The theories are only absurd to someone who has other beliefs, which would in turn be absurd to the theorist. Still, i didn't see the professor belittling or insulting the news anchor.
    As for the no planes theory.. I didn't see anyone on tv backing that theory, but if they were on tv I should hope they would be treated with respect, regardless of their views. Thousands of pilots, engineers, firefighters, architects in the U.S, millions of people all over the world (including the majority of Muslims) believe it was an inside job. But the U.S government (the main suspects) told you they didn't do it, so you believe them :rolleyes:
    As for the moon landing and the construction of the pyramids... well, again, you're just going along with popular belief again.
    It's probably nothing more than Fox having nothing of interest happening that day. An interview with a CT abut 9/11 is always going to spark viewer interest.

You're telling me that in a country of over 300 million people, a news station had nothing better to do than ridicule a college professor for his beliefs ? :rolleyes:
    A pathetic statement in my opinion.
    On the contrary, I would say it was high on their agenda to get this right.
    Viewers would have the same reactions anyway because that is how most people respond to claims that your government massacred over 3000 of their own citizens in the guise of a terrorist attack, they don't need to conduct some carefully orchestrated interview to subconsciously tell people how to react to CTs. It's a natural reaction.

No, but it helps, doesn't it ?
    When you are in work, don't folk repeat the sh!t they heard on the radio in the car on the way in ?
    I'll answer that for you... Yes

I was being nice to you.
    You're a real ray of sunshine aren't you?

So no then?

So no then?

I already did... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68033639&postcount=7

You gave the guy a smart answer and he threw it back at you.
    Surely you should take it with good grace and laugh it off.
    It was funny when you were taking the piss out of him but when the boot's on the other foot the defence comes up.

Get me on PM if you want to take this further and cheer up will you?

Glazers Out!

A fantastic example of NLP in action. I suppose the only question is... Is the show rigged :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Thats debateable really.NLP as a topic has been considered to cover not only the linguistic aspect, but also communication through gestures and facial signs as well as kinestethic ques.
    What they supposedly have learned is that humans in general respond to well known gestures.

The term NLP is a bit fuzzy to me. The likes of Hannity obviously know a lot about manipulating their interviewees and their audience, and they've all been coached in some way, or use techniques they've learned at some stage. Is there something Hannity is doing in those interviews which is specific to NLP, or is NLP a general term which is now used to describe ways of influencing people verbally and by gesture? In that general sense it seems like more of an art than a science to me.

Advertisement