Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen banned from US for life for abusive email

Options
  • 13-09-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Well...so much for America's championing of free speech. I guess it only applies when it suits them.

So AH....what's your opinion on this?

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Luke-Angel-Teenager-Banned-from-America-For-Life-For-Sending-Abusive-Email-To-Barack-Obama/Article/201009215726177?lpos=UK_News_Second_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region_9&lid=ARTICLE_15726177_Luke_Angel%3A_Teenager_Banned_from_America_For_Life_For_Sending_Abusive_Email_To_Barack_Obama_

A British teenager has been banned from America for life for sending Barack Obama an abusive email.

Luke Angel was reprimanded by police on both sides of the Atlantic after firing off a drunken message to the White House calling the president a "p****".

The FBI intercepted the message and contacted police in the UK who went to see the 17-year-old at his home in Silsoe, Bedfordshire.

Luke, a college student, is now on a list of people who are banned from visiting the States.

The teenager told the Bedfordshire On Sunday newspaper that he had sent the email after watching a TV programme about September 11.

When asked about the ban, Luke said: "I don't really care. My parents aren't very happy about it.

"The police who came round took my picture and told me I was banned from America forever."

A Bedfordshire Police spokesman said: "The individual sent an email to the White House full of abusive and threatening language.

"We were informed by the Metropolitan Police and went to see him. He said, 'Oh dear, it was me'."

Officers will take no criminal action.

Joanne Ferreira, of the US Department of Homeland Security, said there are about 60 reasons a person can be barred.

She added: "We are prohibited from discussing specific cases."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

He threatened the President and you're surprised that he was banned ?

He is lucky to be breathing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Jesus - talk about an over-reaction. Threaten the pres' maybe there is justification but just calling him something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Edit: Never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Wow. What a bloody moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Kind of cool to be honest, would be pretty ****ing awesome if there was a lot more real world comeback to the utter ****e people spout on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

america - land of the free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Biggins wrote: »
    Jesus - talk about an over-reaction. Threaten the pres' maybe there is justification but just calling him something?

A few years ago a woman wrote a satirical sex fantasy about the Dubya....she got a visit from the Secret Service (ye may look that up). Having had a few attempts and a few successes, they're ultra paranoid about it. They are consistently paranoid about it though, so the current feckers no worse than the rest.

That will shut a lot of doors for him. I bet he's kicking himself for his stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

gobshyte. Seriously.

Ok, it seems like a bit of an over reaction, but as said by one poster above me.. pretty cool they called around to his house.. id say he deposited 2lbs of brown in his khacks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Who do I have to write to in Australia to get banned from there?
    That Gillard wan?
    The Queen?
    Crocodile Dundee?
    Who else have they got?
    Craphole.

Banned from the states. The FBI sound like overzealous mods tbh.

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    gobshyte. Seriously.

Ok, it seems like a bit of an over reaction, but as said by one poster above me.. pretty cool they called around to his house.. id say he deposited 2lbs of brown in his khacks

No, if he was out on a peaceful protest, thats when hed know he was in for a hiding...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

He'll regret that when he matures.

Chopper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Any chance I can be banned from Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

This is hardly a new story. I remember some guy in Dublin did this about 15 years back. Same thing - went into comupter lab locked and sent a drunken email to clinton or whoever it was back then. Eejits.

That Gillard wan?
    The Queen?
    Crocodile Dundee?
    Who else have they got?
    Craphole.

Russel Crowe. Fightin all over the world!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Not really a free speech issue, although the English police should really have no involvement in it. America can ban who it wants, in fact we all need a visa to get there. There is a waiver for certain countries, but in this case the waiver was removed and the visa will never be granted.

He is free to say what he wants about the president from now on.

( and why was the documentary about 9/11 the reason?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

He should appeal to the CMods and if that doesn't work try Helpdesk, lifetime siteban seems a bit harsh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

As we speak, the Taliban, Al-Qaeda, Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jaish-e-Mohammad are sending the young man gifts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

You are free to ban yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

america - land of the free
    This

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Someone send Dev a PM calling him a prick to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That Gillard wan?
    The Queen?
    Crocodile Dundee?
    Who else have they got?
    Craphole.

You wont get banned, just a booting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

That Gillard wan?
    The Queen?
    Crocodile Dundee?
    Who else have they got?
    Craphole.

Lmao

I just about to suggest this would be a good idea for you and your hatred of Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

A bit OTT really, but if he was an American kid he'd probably be already showering with his back to the wall.

Ah well you see the Ireland sys admins didn't see the huge system crash know as Stephen (aka The Recession) coming and are busy trying to reboot the servers as we speak. So they are a bit busy. Of course it doesn't help that all the time they were supposed to be running the system they were busy coding for other ventures on the side..... By rights they should ban themselves....but there would be none to replace them really. Anyhow you'll have to just log out to, find another server like Australia and not log back in again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Just shows that obama is the same as bush and not, in fact the second coming.

Complete overreaction

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sure who'd want to go there anyway

Just shows that obama is the same as bush and not, in fact the second coming.

Complete overreaction

This has nothing to do with obama

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

TheZohan wrote: »
    He should appeal to the CMods and if that doesn't work try Helpdesk, lifetime siteban seems a bit harsh.

FFS.. mods > Cmods > Dispute resolution

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

I'd like to see the email.

Advertisement