Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completing the planning application

Options
  • 05-09-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi all,

Is it best to let the archcatech arrange to complete it in or can i go ahead an arrange to have the land survey done trail holes done etc...

Another thing, if i was to buy plans of a company that i like does that make things difficult for an archcatech? I dont want to buy them and then for him to have to draw them again if you know what i mean, i have been talking to the local planning authority and they advised as to what kind of house it allowed in my area so im on the right track hopefully!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

A good start would be to spell architect properly .

Don't "buy plans" . Ask an architect to visit the site and design your house for your site . Make sure they are energy - savvy i.e. passive house aware at the very least .

And let him/her take charge of everything . S/he may locate the building ( for very good reasons ) in a different location to the one you first select and therefore the location of the trial holes will arise from that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭De.Lite.Touch

Sorry if this offends OP but getting designs out of a book and "doing-it-yourself at this level is a sure fire way to disaster.

Am I completely wrong when I think that this kind of attitude towards designing and placing a building has the country looking the way it is?

There is no regulation of the provision of architectural services so it is possible for anyone to lodge the planning application - the most important application for statutory approval - without a professional looking at it.

Worse still, they can get the design of the house from a buke and place it without much thought for views, prospects or the surrounding area.

If I'm out of order here mods please delete my post, but if this OP is serious then all the building professions need an overhaul and to be put on a statutory footing, not just the titles "Architect", or "Quantity Surveyor", or "Building Surveyor".

The public doesn't need to be protected from "rogue architects" - it needs to be protected from itself.

De.Lite.Touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

The public doesn't need to be protected from "rogue architects" - it needs to be protected from itself.

Yes they also need protection from poor planners, rural housing guidelines, council Architects with delsuions of maintaing some rural ideal which was lost around 1963!! co councilors, senior council management, crap development plans, the green party..... :D

No6 wrote: »

"The public doesn't need to be protected from "rogue architects" - it needs to be protected from itself.

-- De.Lite.Touch
    "

Yes they also need protection from poor planners, rural housing guidelines, council Architects with delsuions of maintaing some rural ideal which was lost around 1963!! co councilors, senior council management, crap development plans, the green party..... :D

Perhaps using the term "archcatech" might get around the problems posed by the Building Control Act 2007.

The fact is that by requiring De Public to use competent persons to design, plan, detail and build the local authorities would be obliged to follow suit.

We'd have a country designed and built by Urban Designers, Planners, Architects - not Bean Counters, County Engineers, bent County Council decisions, Gombeen Men and yes, De Gween Porty.

Anyway, enough said on this.

De.Lite.Touch

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

Sorry if this offends OP but getting designs out of a book and "doing-it-yourself at this level is a sure fire way to disaster.

Am I completely wrong when I think that this kind of attitude towards designing and placing a building has the country looking the way it is?

There is no regulation of the provision of architectural services so it is possible for anyone to lodge the planning application - the most important application for statutory approval - without a professional looking at it.

Worse still, they can get the design of the house from a buke and place it without much thought for views, prospects or the surrounding area.

If I'm out of order here mods please delete my post, but if this OP is serious then all the building professions need an overhaul and to be put on a statutory footing, not just the titles "Architect", or "Quantity Surveyor", or "Building Surveyor".

De.Lite.Touch.

For your information a friend of mine is a land surveyor and he knows a man who carries the trail hole tests....i was merely asking as i am keen to get the ball rolling and if i can speed things along at all...

If you wouldnt mind keeping your rants to yourself, if you have nothing positive to say or contribute then dont contribute to these threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

can't see this thread remaining open for much longer if OP is going to insult psoters who are giving their frank opinion.

Some professions can design your house, and submit planning application together with a site suitability test. If your land surveyor can do tets then he will need to know house location, driveway route, garage/shed location, ESB cable route, in order to decide where best to dig holes.

In your interest you should find a professional and ultimately save money as well as gaining a quality home.

The thread will remain open as long as posters remain civil .

trixyben

I'm sorry if I offended you.

You're only trying to get ahead as you say.

De.Lite.Touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,932 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks for that De.Lite.Touch. Its always better to just reply to the topic and leave the rest for another thread.

@ trixyben I believe sinnerboy has sent you a PM which will explain things in a bit more detail but please be more careful in your replies.

Thanks guys.

RKQ wrote: »
    I like the idea that anybody can apply from planning permission and fill out their form if they wish. I think it is a good thing.

Hmmm . Don't agree RKQ. However I would like the thread to stay on topic so will not debate the matter.

trixiben there is more than one way to skin a cat . If you buy plans you may give the architect additional works to if they do not comply with building regulations ( eg - is there a WC accessible toilet on the ground floor ) . If the design is not solar optimal ( i.e. large windows to south , small to north ) you may have a heck of a job complying with soon to be revised again energy conservation regulations .

Mod edit

Posts debating RKQ's point have been moved to here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

You can purchase plans from a book and as long as you have paid for the copyright you can get a local agent to prepare the site specific stuff and lodge an application. The only difficulty here is the plans from the books may not suit the many and varied rural housing requirements so you may have to pay to have them ammended too. If your local council provide a preplanning service you or your agent should have a pre-planning meeting and discuss the house design you are thinking of using. If it dosn't comply with whatever housing guidlines they will be quick in telling you!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,293 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

trixyben wrote: »
    Is it best to let the archcatech arrange to complete it in or can i go ahead an arrange to have the land survey done trail holes done etc...

youve lost me... youre talking about two different things here...

if your talking about the actual form, then yes, if ur paying him, he may as well fill it in...

all the other ancillary items such as surveys, trial holes etc need to be done anyway in order to carry out a proper application...

i think you should work in partnership with your agent rather than a "will i wont i" stand point..... ask him/her for their advice...

Advertisement