Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soon to need a prescription for Nurofen/Solphadine/etc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shampoo2223

another clever racket!! has the country not suffered enough?! How do you think people with no jobs can afford to buy painkillers let alone pay 60 quid for the prescription?!! There are more important matter at hand that needs proper attention.. Wake up Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So does the pharmacist just ask you a few questions now before you can get the Solphadine etc?

Not too bad really. I'm sure one can bluff past them quite easily once the questions become widely known.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

another clever racket!! has the country not suffered enough?! How do you think people with no jobs can afford to buy painkillers let alone pay 60 quid for the prescription?!! There are more important matter at hand that needs proper attention.. Wake up Ireland!

Wake up, pay proper attention and read the actual thread. You don't need a prescription, people are just getting their knickers in a twist as pharmacists are now discussing the medications with the customer before handing them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,867 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What effect has a codeine addiction on someone's day to day life, does anyone know?

I'd say the paracetemol content is the more dangerous, i.e. if you need a hit of codeine, you might take more than the recommended daily dose, wham, paracetemol overdose and possible death, but the codeine if taken on its own would have had little effect except some sort of high.

People take all sorts of stuff to get them through life....drink, cigs, sleeping tabs, cannabis, valium, anti depressants, red bull, chocolate etc. etc. It seems to me that overdosing on paracetemol is the most dangerous, yet you can buy a packet in ten different shops and kill yourself. No talks from the pharmacist on the dangers of that drug.

If a person wanted to take codeine for the high, why can't it be sold on its own, without the paracetemol? Maybe it is, but on prescription only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

Bought nurophen plus yesterday. Told the pharmacist exactly what I needed them for. Got them not a bother. Pharmacist is there to advise. If you really need these products you can get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Doesn't it seem odd that we can develop some of the most complex advanced weaponry, computers, aircraft, rockets, satellites, artificial hearts and limbs, robotics, we can send folks into space, but we can't find the cure for cancer or the common cold?

Oh, you're one of those.....
    Of course there are many cures for many cancers. But I dont want to interrupt your fantastical delusional thought processes so I'll leave it at that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

I'd say the paracetemol content is the more dangerous, i.e. if you need a hit of codeine, you might take more than the recommended daily dose, wham, paracetemol overdose and possible death, but the codeine if taken on its own would have had little effect except some sort of high.

Paracetamol and ibuprofen are important components in these products (more important than the codeine), and while they can cause damage, it is all part of the package. They are effective products, but if someone wants to abuse them to get high, they have to deal with all of the consequences.
    People take all sorts of stuff to get them through life....drink, cigs, sleeping tabs, cannabis, valium, anti depressants, red bull, chocolate etc. etc. It seems to me that overdosing on paracetemol is the most dangerous, yet you can buy a packet in ten different shops and kill yourself. No talks from the pharmacist on the dangers of that drug.

Before these new guidelines were introduced, paracetamol was I'd say by far the most common thing someone working in a pharmacy would warn you about (maximum dosage, doing intervals, making sure to avoid other medicines containing paracetamol).
    If a person wanted to take codeine for the high, why can't it be sold on its own, without the paracetemol?

To be honest, I don't think pharmaceutical manufacturers give much thought to people who want to take an over the counter medicine just to get high when formulating their product. These are medicines, they're not there to give people a buzz.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

RATM wrote: »
    There hasn't been one single academic peer reviewed article on codine addiction in Ireland.
    It seems that the PSI, an organisation based on the principles of medical science are now turning their back on medical science and basing their decisions on heresy and anecdote.

Agree with you there for sure. Let the individual decide. It's called freedom of choice.

What a load of bollix. There are loads of peer reviewed articles, but the likes of you would never get the exposure to read any. You know nothing of pharmacy, PSI or medical science. Now please fcuk off...

Not for anti-inflammatory, but definitely for anything with codeine in it. What's interesting about the prescription anti-inflammatory medication is the doctors will usually tell you to take a certain amount of the over the counter anti-inflammatory medication which is equivalent to the prescription strength or they can write the prescription for it. It really is a matter of whether you want to take one 800 mg pill or four 200 mg pills.

With regard to the anti-biotic prescriptions, I imagine if there was an outbreak of something and there was a shortage of the necessary anti-biotic then there probably would be a black market, that's usually how it works, but right now there isn't. Trying to put some kind of logic on how our medicines are determined to be restricted is futile because there is no logic. It's based primarily and driven by the almighty dollar. The pharmaceutical industry and the Food and Drug Administration are about corrupt as they come. The primary focus of the Pharmaceutical Industry is to ensure that the sales of pharmaceutical drugs for on-going diseases continue to increase while discovering new diseases for existing medicines to treat.

Think about it realistically, finding cures is in direct conflict with the Pharmaceutical Industries objectives, why would they ever want to find cures for any illness or disease? By finding cures, they stand to lose billions in lost profits. In America, the government pours billions of dollars into companies in the way of grants doing medical research to find cures that will never be found because, it's not in their best interest to find a cure. They simply take the money and run. They go through all the motions like they're doing research and trying to find a cure without ever having any intent to do so. The companies then put out a medication that won't cure but will help minimize the effects, mask the symptoms or reduce them, but never cure and so the circle continues on and on.

Doesn't it seem odd that we can develop some of the most complex advanced weaponry, computers, aircraft, rockets, satellites, artificial hearts and limbs, robotics, we can send folks into space, but we can't find the cure for cancer or the common cold? Look at the billions in money made from those two diseases/illness alone.

Trust me, governments typically don't institute any policy or law for your protection that the government itself is not gaining or benefiting more from by doing it whether it is monetary or simply more control over people's lives and a greater dependency on their government to function in their daily life.

LOL...:D...I think you've watched Zeitgeist a few too many times. You should post over in the Conspiracy Theories section!

RATM wrote: »
    Where did I say the PSI introduced laws? Despite early confusion its well known by now that they are 'guidelines'. Besides, the introduction of legislation is for the executive, not the PSI.

In other news Boot.co.uk sell codine based products from their website. Irish holidaymakers buy them by the truckload in Spain. And drug dealers on the street have now taken to selling them. Well done PSI, way to cock up.

Hahahaha...drug dealers selling solpadeine. Priceless! Any more jokes?

• Advertisement

policeman wrote: »
    An nurse experienced in cancer care once told me, through her own research, that a cancer cure had been discovered as far back as the 1970's but it was buried because the global drug giants make too much profit from it, and governments see it as some sort of population control [therefore costing them less money]. Now, I accept this is anecdotal, and you might say another paranoid conspiracy theory, but it sticks in my mind.

Profit before people.. Profit before people...Look after number 1, personal gain, blady blah. That is predominantly the way civilisation has evolved much to our collective shame. Therefore all is never what it seems.

So when the next person says to you, sorry scratch that, pontificates "I'm doing this for your own good, because I really do care what happens to you I]you moron[/I" Ask yourself do they really give a toss? What's their real motive? Are they just looking after themselves? To the latter the answer will invariably be a resounding Yes.

Is that you Richard Boyd Barrett???? Some priceless quotes from the conspiracy theorists/uneducated here tonight!!!

HorseNHaleys, BenHadad, RATM & Policeman and all the other ill informed conspiracy theorists. Thank you so much for the entertainment you are providing to us as we discuss this topic. Please keep it up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭HorsesNHarleys

drkpower wrote: »
    Oh, you're one of those.....
    Of course there are many cures for many cancers. But I dont want to interrupt your fantastical delusional thought processes so I'll leave it at that.

And I can tell you're one of them. The kind that can't form an intelligent response based on facts and information so they resort to degrading and belittling a poster by insinuating they are delusional.

You stated there are many cures for many cancers, care to back that statement up. Exactly what specific cancers are there that are being completely cured and with what specific medicine.

Denial is a hell of a lot closer to delusional, just saying.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

ebixa82 wrote: »
    What a load of bollix. There are loads of peer reviewed articles, but the likes of you would never get the exposure to read any. You know nothing of pharmacy, PSI or medical science. Now please fcuk off...
    This folks, is the medical elite at it's best. Sad isn't it? It's people like this that make decisions for us, the retarded masses.[shudder]

policeman wrote: »
    This folks, is the medical elite at it's best. Sad isn't it? It's people like this that make decisions for us, the retarded masses.[shudder]

Thanks for the compliment! By the way, I never said you were a retard, simply that you had no real understanding of the situation and that I find your posts highly entertaining...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

Well one good thing to come out of this will be petrol sales on the forecourts.(j/k) If someone addicted to Solpadeine wants it, they just have to drive further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Hahahaha...drug dealers selling solpadeine. Priceless! Any more jokes?

You don't even see a possibility? Even usually well informed boardsies are piling in here asking about prescriptions and doctors vistis for their analgesic of choice...the not-so-informed out there may wander into a chemists shop, face the 3rd degree, say "Fook that" and try to get them someplace else.
    All the while as discussed, codeine containing meds are available in the North and abroad without the fuss and at a lower cost...what's to stop the enterprising amongst us going and bulk buying in the North and selling on at a profit down here (with no pesky pharamcist to thwart them)? It's happening with alcohol and smokes and has for years. People are alos talking about buying on the web, where you're as liable to get sugar pills (or worse) in a fake box as you are to get the real product.

BTW someone mentioned antibiotics back up the thread...now you can't simply go into a doctor and tell him; "eh I need antibiotics for this cold/flu thing I have"...it's down to the doc to ensure they're the best thing for your complaint. The reasoning being that the more antiB's you issue the less effective they become for everyone (through resistance of microbes)...now switch that to a pharmacist, being asked for pain relief meds, or more precisely being told what pain meds to give a customer...one of the pharmacist's concerns is that if you don't require strong meds for the type of pain you have but take them anyway, that when real actual pain needs treatment that what they can sell you (without a script) will effectively be worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

A pharmacy is a business like any other. If you handle the situation poorly, people won't be return customers whether this is for prescriptions, toiletries, over the counter medicine, etc.

I won't use Boots pharmacy section again after trying to get Nurofen Plus. The girl behind the counter had better approach then pharmacist.

What makes you think we handle the situations badly? No matter how well we manage the situation there will ALWAYS be snotty addicts and general customers who will get in a huff and say they're never coming back again. But I'm not going to give in and just give them whatever they want. When customers 'threaten' to go somewhere else, we say "Off you go then." because for the very few times it happens to us, that customer is not worth keeping. We make up the 0.0001% that is their business with the hundreds of other customers who repeatedly come back to us because we are a friendly and professional pharmacy.

You stated there are many cures for many cancers, care to back that statement up. Exactly what specific cancers are there that are being completely cured and with what specific medicine.
    Denial is a hell of a lot closer to delusional, just saying.:D

Cancer is being cured every day; by surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy. Not everyone is cured, sadly, but almost every cancer has some kind of cure. The fact that you call on me to provide back-up for the assertion that there are many cures for cancer (a fact which has been established for many many years, evidence of which can be found at the click of a button) clearly shows that you have an opinion that there are no cures for cancer. Such an opinion is a false belief or opinion. A false belief or opinion is a delusion. Therefore, I have shown conclusively that you are delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'd just like to point out that not all the people complaining about the guidelines are uninformed, addicts or of the global cancer conspiracy or anti-Big Pharma brigade :D

Neither do I think those medical/pharmacutical professionals posting here are elitists even when their posts are debating mine. In fact they are no more elitist than most of us here complaining about the guidelines. The common thread in our posts seems to be, "We know all about the side effects, the dosages, addictive potential, signs of withdrawl, signs of addiction. We know we are responsible users of this pain-killer but we know the moronic clueless masses need to be informed and/or protected from themselves and are just annoyed the the guidelines make no provision for pharmacists to differentiate between the moronic masses and ourselves." Hows that for elitest!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Calibos wrote: »
    I'd just like to point out that not all the people complaining about the guidelines are uninformed, addicts or of the global cancer conspiracy or anti-Big Pharma brigade :D

Neither do I think those medical/pharmacutical professionals posting here are elitists even when their posts are debating mine. In fact they are no more elitist than most of us here complaining about the guidelines. The common thread in our posts seems to be, "We know all about the side effects, the dosages, addictive potential, signs of withdrawl, signs of addiction. We know we are responsible users of this pain-killer but we know the moronic clueless masses need to be informed and/or protected from themselves and are just annoyed the the guidelines make no provision for pharmacists to differentiate between the moronic masses and ourselves." Hows that for elitest!! :D

+1 :)

Calibos wrote: »

How can someone be sure that they are not part of the moronic masses?

The problem is many people think they are taking these drugs correctly and are not. Then when they go into a pharmacy and say they want Solpadeine for a tooth ache and the Pharmacist recommends Nurofen they throw a hissy fit and storm out...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Alicat wrote: »
    What makes you think we handle the situations badly? No matter how well we manage the situation there will ALWAYS be snotty addicts and general customers who will get in a huff and say they're never coming back again. But I'm not going to give in and just give them whatever they want. When customers 'threaten' to go somewhere else, we say "Off you go then." because for the very few times it happens to us, that customer is not worth keeping. We make up the 0.0001% that is their business with the hundreds of other customers who repeatedly come back to us because we are a friendly and professional pharmacy.

out of curiosity was it reasonable for a pharmacist to tell me she wouldn't give me Solpadene which the nurse had told me to get when I was leaving hospital after a tonsillectomy. She gave me the prescription painkillers but refused me that. Seemed a bit stupid to me.

jdivision wrote: »
    out of curiosity was it reasonable for a pharmacist to tell me she wouldn't give me Solpadene which the nurse had told me to get when I was leaving hospital after a tonsillectomy. She gave me the prescription painkillers but refused me that. Seemed a bit stupid to me.

Why would you feel the need to take Solpadeine if you had just been given prescription pain killers?

It also depends on what the painkillers were. It is possible they may have contained Paracetamol and/or an opiate. In which case you may be overdosing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭HorsesNHarleys

The problem is many people think they are taking these drugs correctly and are not. Then when they go into a pharmacy and say they want Solpadeine for a tooth ache and the Pharmacist recommends Nurofen they throw a hissy fit and storm out...

I agree and I don't see where there is a problem with a Pharmacist recommending a better medication for the ailment. I trust my Pharmacist's opinion very much on which non-prescription medications work best for specific ailments and especially how they will interact with the prescription medications I'm taking. In fact our Pharmacists tend to know more about how medications will interact and their contraindications than do some doctors.

I don't understand why anyone would verbally abuse a Pharmacist for making a more appropriate recommendation. Isn't that their job?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Why would you feel the need to take Solpadeine if you had just been given prescription pain killers?..

Partly an issue arises with dissolving the Solpadeine against the tables prescribed by a [our] doctor.

The ritualism is gone and the effect is reportedly not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I know I am not part of the moronic masses because I only need to take between 4 and 6 tablets a month

I know I am not part of the moronic masses because (pre guidelines) I took nearly 10 days full dosages of both N+ and Solpadine offset by two hours sanctioned by the pharmacist (for Wisdom extraction,dry socket and infection), was aware I would get withdrawls, recognised said withdrawls, and took regular paracetemol for that one withdrawl headache.

I know I am not part of the moronic masses because I did not become dependent pre guidelines when they were handed out like smarties nor I am scared by the 'Won't someone think of the Children" anti codeine hysteria.

I know I am not part of the moronic masses because rather than being swayed one way or the other (take them for everything/take them as the absolute last last last resort) I know there is a middle ground. Should one take them for every little pain? No of course not! Is there anything wrong with taking some to 100% get rid of a pain quickly when one works on their feet 10 hours a day 6 days of the week in a retail environment and where distractions because of that headache, neckache, muscle ache mean mistakes are made or one is grumpy with customers. No, I see nothing wrong with that.

Needless to say, you will pick up on one part of that post, ignore the rest and run with it. "Ha!! I knew it! Grumpy!! That'll be the widthdrawl, I knew you were an addict!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Out of interest, seeing as these are only PSI 'guidelines', what would be the ramifications if a pharmacy decided to ignore them - either as an aggressive measure to increase its business, because it was wasting too much staff time, or because they felt the guidelines were wrong?

gbee wrote: »
    Partly an issue arises with dissolving the Solpadeine against the tables prescribed by a [our] doctor.

The ritualism is gone and the effect is reportedly not the same.

You are talking about addicts there. This person is not an addict. They had just got their tonsils removed. Why would a non-addict be looking for Solpadeine having just been given a stronger painkiller?

• Advertisement

sesna wrote: »
    That would be up to a court to decide. In my opinion, probably nothing.

Unlikely. Refusing to comply with these regulations is an offence. These are the penalties:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2007/en/act/pub/0020/sec0072.html#sec72

It would also be grounds for disciplinary action.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement