Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First System You Had for Foreign TV

Options
  • 26-07-2010 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

I think their will be some interest in this....

Tell us your first system if you can remember back that far :D

Mine was a 78cm picking up 13e & 19e with a TM 15OO ci + as my receiver.

Only less than 5 years ago too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Mine was an 88cm pointing at 13e for Art sports with a TM1500 ci.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

100cm motorised and fortec star 4200 (which I still use to drive the dish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Mine was an 88cm pointing at 13e for Art sports with a TM1500 ci.
    My first card too was ART - All those games in analogue-like picture quality lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Mine was an Amstrad SRX200 analogue thingy for Sat 1 :) Still have the receiver here. :) Think we installed it in 1988 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭denis1501

80cm dish pointing at Hotbird for telepiu' and stream tv (Italy), march 2000. I was using a Strong 4350 CI receiver with seca and irdeto Cams.

• Advertisement

denis1501 wrote: »
    80cm dish pointing at Hotbird for telepiu' and stream tv (Italy), march 2000. I was using a Strong 4350 CI receiver with seca and irdeto Cams.

Did ya get footy on that Denis?

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Did ya get footy on that Denis?

Yeah, telepiu' (now Sky Italia) used to show the Premier League and Serie A, Stream also had Serie A (the teams telepiu' didn't have).
    Telepiu' was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I had all the Amstrad boxes, and was lucky enough to start my career in satellites by actucally repairing Pace systems when I was 13 for a few hours after school....so I had the PRD 800, 900, 1000, ms1000 all pointed to Astra 19.and hotbird 13...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The very first system I had was a free old Ferguson analogue receiver (with Videocrypt, then defunct). Got my hands on a free Zone 1 Skydish, which I used for 19°E! Some good strong tp's though most, obviously, were quite grainy.

After that, I got donated an 80cm dish, for which I bought a Manhattan Skyline digital receiver, a bit of botching on the dish (was a rough sight) got me 13, 19 and 28E :)

When I moved house, with my 80cm dish, I had a Technomate TM1500, which I bought along with Digitalb, my first foreign sub. At the start, during the end of summer, it was mostly grand, but the deteriorating weather meant the 80cm was too small for 16E, so bought a 1.1m Triax, and 4 LNB arm and just about managed to sqeeze 13, 16, 19 and 28 in (though 13E did suffer a bit).

Heh, I've went through loads of gear since then, though still have my trusty TD110 dish! :)

I still use A technomate 1500 box meself and a TD110 such a reliable dish...pointed at 19,13, and sirius 4.8 degrees east...

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    The very first system I had was a free old Ferguson analogue receiver (with Videocrypt, then defunct). Got my hands on a free Zone 1 Skydish, which I used for 19°E! Some good strong tp's though most, obviously, were quite grainy.

After that, I got donated an 80cm dish, for which I bought a Manhattan Skyline digital receiver, a bit of botching on the dish (was a rough sight) got me 13, 19 and 28E :)

When I moved house, with my 80cm dish, I had a Technomate TM1500, which I bought along with Digitalb, my first foreign sub. At the start, during the end of summer, it was mostly grand, but the deteriorating weather meant the 80cm was too small for 16E, so bought a 1.1m Triax, and 4 LNB arm and just about managed to sqeeze 13, 16, 19 and 28 in (though 13E did suffer a bit).

Heh, I've went through loads of gear since then, though still have my trusty TD110 dish! :)

Stuff like that is why I love this game - Thinking of getting a bigger dish myself now. Bloody DM has poor tuners

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

My first system was from Lidl a Comag sl55.
    A great little box and was looking at Hotbird..........TPS - 1995.
    When it died i moved to another great box the TM1500 ci+ - 1999.

They both gave me hours of fun-fun-fun.;):rolleyes::D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

steveon wrote: »
    I still use A technomate 1500 box meself and a TD110 such a reliable dish...pointed at 19,13, and sirius 4.8 degrees east...
    Yeah the TD110 is a great dish, though I find it awkward when it comes to getting elevation right. The TM1500 was a great receiver, I'm sure there are still many going strong.

I upgraded from the TM1500 to a TM5400, with USB port. Then "upgraded" to my first HD box, the horrendously woeful Octagon SF918 - it really is the worst box I've ever had the misfortune to use (or buy). Luckily I sold it quick, and didn't lose too much, and replaced with the rather excellent TM6900.

More recently I sold the TM and bought the Vu+ Duo, which I also adore. So many things can be done with it, if I had the time to continually fiddle with it! :)

Also had changed from DiSEqC switch to a Darkmotor MetalGear, which was junk and barely lasted the year, now replaced with the IMO superior, and quieter Moteck 2100A

I had no problems with setting up the td110 alrhough some large dishes can be awkward, i love most technomate boxes as they are so well supported...must make the jump to hd meself...dont get to watch as much tv as Id like to these days damn facebook...lol

steveon wrote: »
    I had no problems with setting up the td110 alrhough some large dishes can be awkward, i love most technomate boxes as they are so well supported...must make the jump to hd meself...dont get to watch as much tv as Id like to these days damn facebook...lol

Tell me about it.I'm still on SD with a DM 600PVR.Can't fault it (DVB-S tuner could be a wee bit better though) with PLI Jade 3 final.None of that unstable openpli malarkey for me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Lidl Analouge system with 80cm dish for £40

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

Humax 5400 running 3 in 1 allcam.

seca beta and irdeto and using an elvis programmer on a gold card later a funcard.

Had a 80cm dish with mono 13 and 19 on it.

remember the thrill of having all the channels like Telepiu, stream, nova and canal plus spain.

I really miss tequilla and multivision packages and channels.

One day hopefully again.

Do I win for my archaic SRX200? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Cor now you have me thinking..........

Early 90's-An old BSB square aerial pointed at i think 1 west for D2mac/Dmac channels, Also a Fergusson videocrypt receiver with a filmnet D2mac decoder connected via scart:eek: On a 80 cm dish, I think looking at Astra 1 19.2 east.

Dare i say it a few homemade smart cards with the old big chips (Pic16c84) on them that used to stick out of the receiver:D

My first DVB-S receiver was a Nokia 9200s with a flashed Irdeto all cam. Great piece of kit running dvb2000. Loved the Canal+ Holland channels and then the canal+ nordic channels on it.

It was downhill since then, receivers/dishes and other yokes have come and gone!

snaps wrote: »
    Cor now you have me thinking..........

Early 90's-An old BSB square aerial pointed at i think 1 west for D2mac/Dmac channels, Also a Fergusson videocrypt receiver with a filmnet D2mac decoder connected via scart:eek: On a 80 cm dish, I think looking at Astra 1 19.2 east.

Dare i say it a few homemade smart cards with the old big chips (Pic16c84) on them that used to stick out of the receiver:D

My first DVB-S receiver was a Nokia 9200s with a flashed Irdeto all cam. Great piece of kit running dvb2000. Loved the Canal+ Holland channels and then the canal+ nordic channels on it.

It was downhill since then, receivers/dishes and other yokes have come and gone!

I had an old filmnet decoder too, I'd forgotten all about that! Plus I still have one of those old smartcards you mention lying about! And a Nokia 9600S down in the cellar too!! lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Mine was a Fuba ODE514 16 channel analogue box from 1989. (So, you're still winning, carbsy;) )
    Bought to pick up the newly launched TV-Sat 2 on 19°w!, DFS-Kopernikus1 23.5°e and, of course, Astra1a @ 19.2°e. + a Nokia D2-MAC decoder.
    Followed a couple of month later by a Drake ESR earthstation and a six footer Channel Master dish.

A blurb from an Amstrad advert from 1988/89 -> "At present you can receive all the SKY channels free of charge and four of them will continue to be free. However from Autumn, or Spring 1990, Sky are planning to charge a monthly subscription for Sky Movies"

lol if only we knew. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

snaps wrote: »
    Dare i say it

Im sure the statute of limitations has long since expired on that one (It may even have been perfectly legal back in the very early 1990's) :D

carbsy wrote: »
    A blurb from an Amstrad advert from 1988/89 -> "At present you can receive all the SKY channels free of charge and four of them will continue to be free. However from Autumn, or Spring 1990, Sky are planning to charge a monthly subscription for Sky Movies"

lol if only we knew. ;)

I was one of the sad individuals who waited with baited breath for the channel to scramble!! It happened if I remember correctly at 8pm in the evening!! And they only scrambled the video so you could still listen!

denis1501 wrote: »
    I was one of the sad individuals who waited with baited breath for the channel to scramble!! It happened if I remember correctly at 8pm in the evening!! And they only scrambled the video so you could still listen!

Ahhh! You've jogged my memory.. I too remember being able to listen to the audio when it had been scrambled.Although I don't think I was on the actual night it became scrambled... hehe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I know someone who claimed he could decode the scrambled image with his eyes.

Minstrel27 wrote: »

haha! This proves that us Irish do indeed have super powers. :D

Minstrel27 wrote: »

LOL!!!

Actually, speaking of super powers.Can't remember where I heard this line but it goes something like this... "Super powers? hah .... My only super power is being invisible to girls." hah love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,215 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm still relatively new to the foreign satellite way of life.
    I started last February(2009) and decided it would be better to futureproof my system by getting a motor right away. So I started with a 1.1M Triax dish and a DM600. My first card was a DigitALB card shortly followed by an Al Jazeera one :).

Advertisement