Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Beginners Spin: Saturday 15th May

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

could be up for something, wanted to do Wicklow100, but too late for reg..

How short is short? How beginer is beginer? (not being funny when I ask.. I missed the other spins, and would defo count myself as beginer!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

km991148 wrote: »
    could be up for something, wanted to do Wicklow100, but too late for reg..

How short is short? How beginer is beginer? (not being funny when I ask.. I missed the other spins, and would defo count myself as beginer!)

all good questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

km991148 wrote: »
    Well, in general "short" is somewhere between 30km and 60km. Sounds long, but if you consider that 30km is only 90mins at a very relaxed pace, it's actually not all that far.

Note that distance doesn't include the distance to/from the start/end of the route. So although our first route was ~45km, many people had a greater than 10k trip to and from the route so they ended up doing spins in excess of 70km.

I'm out for anything this weekend, resigned to servicing my bike instead while my ribs heal.

Judging by our last spin, "beginner" is a fairly loose term, and everyone seemed to have at least some experience of spending more than 30 minutes on the bike on a semi-regular basis.

Certainly if you haven't even looked at a bike in ten years or if a 5km cycle to the shops will have you flat out on the couch for the night, then you may be too much of a beginner :)
    But if you can manage 20km in a single sitting (about an hour on the bike) and your legs still work when you get off the bike (even if they are a bit sore), then you'd be able for a beginners' spin.
    Even if you've never actually done 20km before but cycle on a regular basis, you'd probably be well able for it.

If you were thinking about doing the WW100, you'd probably be able to lead a beginners' spin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

thanks seamus..

"Judging by our last spin, "beginner" is a fairly loose term, and everyone seemed to have at least some experience of spending more than 30 minutes on the bike on a semi-regular basis."

Thats why I asked! I would say I am a beginer as I havent went over 100k much (1-2) and nowhere near as fast as those here (nor am I in club etc).

I was looking at more like 70-100 - but wouldnt be the quickest, although happy to go and take a good go at the front if people dont mind waiting at times!!

How long you laid up for? Hope you recover soon, you got swiped by a PIV (person in vehicle), right?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I won't be able to join ye this weekend lads, but I'd highly recommend a 'Boards Beginners Spin'.

The term beginner is indeed fairly loose. I'd done 50k once and did nearer 70 on the day, but there's plenty of breaks and having the company keeps you fresh. The pace varied which was enjoyable too. I think the best part for me was that there was no presssure to be all decked out in Lycra or the latest carbon road bike (though they were welcome too) The other thing was that we weren't all drafting so it was a nice pressure free introduction to cycling in a group. I'll join another one soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

If anyone is interested in a cycle tomorrow (saturday 12th June) just drop me a pm. I wasn't on the bike for 2 weeks because of exam committments so I'm eager to get going again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I think I'll be doing a solo 6:30AM run if the weather holds up. Have to be back early for a full day study megasesh for Maths P2. P1 today killed me, and maths is one of my good subjects:eek:(HL Maths, Phys and Applied Maths:rolleyes:). Then there's Irish...

Thanks to Ant and Littleredspot for the well wishes for the exams while I'm at it:D

Back on topic, this evening would have made for a great spin, went half way to enniskerry on an errand and it was a beaut' :)

I'm just back from a 76k spin. Went out as far as a Donabate. I broke my previous record so I'm very happy :D

I was about to collapse after the last spin (65k) a few weeks but I feel grand now:) It's amazing what you can do with a bit of practise :rolleyes:

0607 Lethal wakes
    0610 Alarm goes off
    0615 Lethal is asleep once more
    0827 Lethal wakes for the second time
    0828 Stream of profanities

:p

Still did a spin, Bray and back via Stillorgan. 48Km at average 25.5 IIRC. Nasty headwind for a good bit of the return leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nice spin, hoping to get out myself tomorrow, want to try up my distances as i'm pretty shocking < 30k's.

just curious but did you use the N11? for your spin out to bray? I have a couple of people asking me to go out on spin in wicklow but i know i just wouldn't be able for the inclines just yet, want to get decent at flat road cycling first but don't want to rely on the n11 all the time. anyone have any ideas on good routes? north wicklow/south dublin area.

oh and lethal best of luck in the rest of the LC, try and get out for spins during it because speaking from experience the weather is always great when you're doing the LC, turns pants right after it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Heading out via the coast: Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey, Killiney can be fun, different and quite scenic, no major gradients to trouble you either. Get to Bray and turn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Heading out via the coast: Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey, Killiney can be fun, different and quite scenic, no major gradients to trouble you either. Get to Bray and turn around.
    cool I might try that tomorrow thanks Dirk, although think I won't do the turning in bray as I live there :D

Yeah, Milltown-Blackrock-Dun Laoghaire and so on. There is one incline if you follow the Dart closely, Vico:) Its worth it for the view over the bay, and you get a super decent on the other side.

I came back on the R parallel to the N11, least I think so:p
    oh and lethal best of luck in the rest of the LC, try and get out for spins during it because speaking from experience the weather is always great when you're doing the LC, turns pants right after it
    Cheers, I hope to get out next Fri and Sat. Following weekend I'll be to ossified to get on the bike:D

0607 Lethal wakes
    0610 Alarm goes off
    0615 Lethal is asleep once more
    0827 Lethal wakes for the second time
    0828 Stream of profanities

:p

Still did a spin, Bray and back via Stillorgan. 48Km at average 25.5 IIRC. Nasty headwind for a good bit of the return leg.

So much for the 6:30 spin:D

I'm in some pain here; got badly burned today!

Ahh, obviously too slow then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

Hey all,

I just joined the Dublin Social Cycling Group as an alternative option to Boards for getting out on spins and cycling with others.

I'll be doing this spin on Saturday morning. It's very similar to the route we did last month and if you've had the chance to build up your fitness over the past few weeks, it should be fine for those who returned to town after Enniskerry. Glencree's a really nice spot to stop off at for coffee and cake and well worth the effort of getting there.

Ant wrote: »
    Hey all,

I just joined the Dublin Social Cycling Group as an alternative option to Boards for getting out on spins and cycling with others.

I'll be doing this spin on Saturday morning. It's very similar to the route we did last month and if you've had the chance to build up your fitness over the past few weeks, it should be fine for those who returned to town after Enniskerry. Glencree's a really nice spot to stop off at for coffee and cake and well worth the effort of getting there.

I also joined this group last week but I haven't gone on any spins yet :) I'm going on the route above also on Saturday with littleredspot. I should find it a little easier this time as I have done a bit of cycling since!

Oooh, I'm in. Two easy exams left so study is lower on the list once more.

BUT, Routechange request: Can we do it ther other way around? Go'on, you know you want to!

Oooh, I'm in. Two easy exams left so study is lower on the list once more.

BUT, Routechange request: Can we do it ther other way around? Go'on, you know you want to!

I'm meeting littleredspot for this route at Connolly 9:30 if you would to join us here? We are then meeting up with the rest at the Burlington.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

Gorgeous day today. It was great to meet up again with littleredspot, Lethal_Bullet and Wingman2010 again. We had a great cycle out to Dun Laoghaire, Bray, Enniskerry, Glencree and back again via Kilakee Road.

@littleredspot, watching you cruise up the hill outside Enniskerry as I gasped for breath to catch you leaves me in no doubt that you could cycle back up Kilakee Rd / Stocking Lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Great spin on Saturday alright. Perfect weather, good company, nice route.

Ant, would ya stop, gasping for air I was! I'll give the other direction a shot soon. Next time I'll remember to fix my brakes before heading for the hills though!

Advertisement