Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open Golf Betting

Options
  • 14-06-2010 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Let's get the ball rolling early this week. The US Open is back at Pebble Beach this week. Tiger won it by 15 strokes last time it was here in 2000.

It's a fader's course and, being the US Open, the roughs will be v thick so keeping the ball straight off the tee is a must. The greens are apparently going to be set up to be extremely quick. Weather forescast is good with winds expected not to exceed 10 mph.

As ever expect Ladbroke and Hills to offer better prices on wednesday morning as they do for every major. They do it so it looks good in the racing post as far as i can see and then it's back to normal by about midday on Wednesday.

In my US Open Betting Tips article I am plumping for:
    Luke Donald at 40/1 - great form. straight hitter. might lack a bit of distance but is a super scrambler and doesn't make too many bogeys.
    K.J. Choi at 66/1 - Good distance. Fades the ball. Good form.
    Ryan Moore at 100/1 - Accurate driver and another who doesn't waste too many shots. He's in decent form this year.

Prices are current. Like I say Wednesday morning tends to be the best time to strike for top price on the majors.

Who are you chaps on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭ValueSeeker

Like you, Donald is the standout pick for me. Got him at 50's a while back and he's been cut down to about 30's now.

Premium this week is most definitely on a solid and accurate tee to green game as the rough is supposed to be seriously penal both along the fairways and around the greens and wind is also usually a factor at Pebble Beach (all going by what's been said on the golf channels in the last couple of weeks). The course will play at just over 7,000 yards so Donald (and other short hitters won't be at a disadvantage.

Anyone interested can catch my full US Open Preview here

Rhys Davies is my sleeper and can be backed at huge odds or 6/1 top 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Also liked the look of Donald and Choi, picked both of them the other day in the US open prediction competition thread over on the golf forum!

Will definitley back one of them if not both.

Brian Gay could be a good e/w bet too if his price is good (cant check now cause gambling sites are blocked in work) Very straight driver of the ball and good putter as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I'll be going for my usual small stakes scatter gun approach in the majors.

As ever with the U.S open driving straight will be the key so the players below are obvious ones to hit that criteria

J.Furyk
    H.Slocum
    R.Moore
    Z.Johnson
    B.Crane

A few key points for this years open.

1. Being long off the tee is not so important this time around.
    2. These are near enough the smallest greens on major championship rota.
    3. Greens will not be set as lightening fast as they can be in other open years. Last thing they want is wind getting up (not forecast) and play being halted due to the exposed greens.

Yes, good point. Just to take it a little bit further - At Pebble earlier in the year (on Sunday when the greens firmed up but still nowhere near as fast as expected this week), it was vitally important to hit the right part of the greens on your approach shots on certain holes a sto avoid impossible up and downs.

The main hole I have in mind was the par 5 14th ( many players missed it in the wrong areas and carded 8's and 9's and I think 1 player even had an 11). Goydos was 1 of those and he was contending for the tournament at the time.

I can only imagine what it may be like this time round with the thick rough also adding to the scrambling difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭RocketRonnie

I'll be going for my usual small stakes scatter gun approach in the majors.

As ever with the U.S open driving straight will be the key so the players below are obvious ones to hit that criteria

J.Furyk
    H.Slocum
    R.Moore
    Z.Johnson
    B.Crane

A few key points for this years open.

1. Being long off the tee is not so important this time around.
    2. These are near enough the smallest greens on major championship rota.
    3. Greens will not be set as lightening fast as they can be in other open years. Last thing they want is wind getting up (not forecast) and play being halted due to the exposed greens.

Would agree with all those picks! Another i would add to that list would be M.Kucher...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Rhys Davies e/w @ 125, might have a go at that top 20 bet mentioned on him too.

Also gonna do a treble or trixie on Els, F Molinari & Stenson in their respective 3 ball groups. Trixie pays about 9/1, just the treble pays 16/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Would agree with all those picks! Another i would add to that list would be M.Kucher...

i'm struggling big time this week,was thinkin of Kucher but this course favours a fade,Kucher draws nearly all the time
    I'm going for a few Top 20 bets
    Lehman @8/1
    Kelly @9/1
    not with a lot of confidence it must be said
    will pick out a few e/w bets tomorrow

don't forget Powers are paying first 6 places

one point to keep in mind,driving the ball straight is very important this week,we all know that,but i think it's important not to discount the long inacurate hitters whose stats from 200-250 yards(see pgatour.com)are good as the big hitters won't need driver on a lot of holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

my 2 for this week are

Els 33/1, playing as good as he ever has, and loves links courses

and

Jaidee 250/1, ultra consistent, been in the top 10 five times this year and a course where par is a good score may suit

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭YohanCabeye7

Just to clarify, several firms are paying 6 places, at the bottom of this list you can see who is :D and who's not :mad:

http://www.oddschecker.com/golf/us-open/win-market

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Tiger gone to 10s in Laddies. Wow

I'm as good as finished with the world cup till the business end. I'd much rather lose money on something that is guaranteed to be entertaining and epic.

20 on Phil at 8s in laddies. 5 time runner up in US open and 3 time winner on this course(although it is practically a different course this week) Major winner this year and and few places to boot. Phil will want this one so bad. I don't think 8s is short at all, I reckon if ya play this tournie 4 or 5 times he'd win it once.

Already stupidly have a 10er on Tiger @ 6s and ill just have another in laddies. Its Tiger F%^&&ng Woods.

10er e/w on Luke Donald 33s. One of the form players of the world. a lot of experts say if he's gonna win a major then a US open is for him as he hits it so straight and good with the long irons he need find a course thats not too long and this could be it. There is 3 par 5s which you think would go against him but he had a ridiculous amount of eagles in Wales and Portugal.

5er e/w on Bo Van Pelt. Form player on the Pga Tour, 6 top tens in seven starts or something similar. Including 4 top 4s. He's knocking on the door. Prob not major potential yet but this is the last time you'll see him over 40s on the Tour. 60 or 66s can be got and that has to be worth a shout for the place.

2.50 E/W Ricky Barnes. 125/1 The guy has USGA pedigree winning the US Amateur before and Runner up at the last Open in Bethpage. Also a good showing at memorial a couple of weeks ago. William Hill with the price

2.50 e/w Davis Love III 200/1 Hills. Twice a winner @ pebble in the early 00s. Hit the post twice in previous US Opens albeit a long time ago. Not played a lot this year but showed a lil bit of for placing in the players Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Lads online 5 places - shops 6 places!
    At 10/1 must be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Back to 8/1 now.
    9/1 in Powers 6 places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

8's with paddy now

can't believe westie is only 12/1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Have gone with Michelson as my big bet.

Also have small e/w bets on;

Love
    Duval
    Kelly
    Goosen
    Khan
    Mediate

Have one bet left. Thinking either Poulter, Yang, Jimenez or Mahan. Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Also interested in peoples thoughts on Goosen, Mahan, Kaymer, and each way chances for Leishman and Ollie Wilson..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I stuck a tenner on Villegas, no real reason other than he always tends to feature and was at 51/1

My more sensible gf went for Jim Furyk to place top 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭eldrickwoods

I have placed the bets indicated on thread opener.

getting tempted looking at that Poulter price though. He's been in bad form of late but 80/1 for a guy who hits the ball as straight as anyone and putts well. it's a teaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

In the top 5/10/20 bets is it dead heat rules if they're tied for position at the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Mickleson my main bet - win only at 8.8.
    Sidebets are Westwood for top European and Choi and McIlroy to finish top 5.

Yes that does mean I've backed 3 non-US to finish in the top 5 essentially. It's going to be an interesting tournament.

McDowell 3/1 to be leading Irishman. Only 4 horse race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Team Casey,i'm not a big fan and he hasn't good course form,still struggling with injury but i backed him today @45/1 e/w

His driving has gone off the boil a bit but he's as good as anyone with the 3 wood off the tee which he will use a lot,have a sneaky feeling he'll do the biz,he's sooo big headed if he gets in contention i'm hopin he doesn't schit himself like he did in the masters 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bullmccabe2010

€200 double on Uruguay to beat South Africa at 7/5 and Tiger to win at 8/1

Return of €4320. Not a bad return and half way there.

Tim Clark at 55/1 is also a good each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Kod-box wrote: »
    In the top 5/10/20 bets is it dead heat rules if they're tied for position at the end?

Extrabet pay are the only firm that pay out to full odds.

For the record (and I haven't had an outright winner on golf in a while)

Backed Els 28/1 ew 6 places (in good form this year)
    Backed Gay 125/1 ew 6 places (he is no. 1 in driving accuracy)
    Backed Casey 40/1 6 places (Good game - bound to come good sometime)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Mickelson, Phil @ 8/1
    Win Only Betting
    US Open Win Only

Mcilroy, Rory @ 5/1
    Place Only - 5 Places
    US Open Place Only Betting

Johnson, Dustin @ 33/1 E/W
    Outright Betting
    US Open 2010 Outright Betting

Clark, Tim @ 55/1 E/W
    Outright Betting
    US Open 2010 Outright Betting

Love, Davis @ 12/1
    To Finish in the Top 10
    US Open Who will Finish in the Top 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Gone with Poulter at 66/1. Big price for him. Plays very well in majors generally. Seems more motivated for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

went with zach johnson at 66s
    mahan 60s
    furyk 28s
    davies 125/1
    gay 100/1

McDowell 3/1 to be leading Irishman. Only 4 horse race.

5 horse race now as Phelan has got the Irish flag against his name.
    Wonder will betfair amend :)

Degag wrote: »
    Gone with Poulter at 66/1. Big price for him. Plays very well in majors generally. Seems more motivated for them.

He talks a good game alright, this will be his 30th major and he would have only landed the place money once so far.

Degag wrote: »

Have one bet left. Thinking either Poulter, Yang, Jimenez or Mahan. Any thoughts?
    Also interested in peoples thoughts on Goosen, Mahan, Kaymer, and each way chances for Leishman and Ollie Wilson..?

Hi lads,

Bit of info as requested. Poulter showed some good form in round 1 last week only to fall in the second but he has certainly the game to do well around here.

Mahan is long and straight off the tee and good with his irons, the reason he is usually up there in big events although he struggled at Memorial. His problems lie in his chipping and if he is wayward with his approaches this week, he could struggle.

The Betting Zone have gone with Jiminez and being a short course you never know, he certainly has the head for a big event.

Goosen I'm not sure is ever worth the prices he is at, it all depends on his putting this week. He is a bit of a bottler. He often leads at the half way stage or after 3 rounds but his roun d 4 performance over the past couple of seasons is shocking.

Kaymer has had a change of Caddy recently and seems a little out of sorts but when he's on, he's on and has a fantastic all round game with no weaknesses.

Wilson has been undergoing some swing changes ala Harrington and that explains his poor form this year. He's beginning to show signs now that it's working though with some decent finishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Bun Junior

McDowell an interesting e/w bet?

Advertisement