Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

These were the ones:

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3458110

They're on sale for either €40 or €50, can't remember which.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks for that.

I think a few who did GF last year had them, better than the trainers I have currently, but I suppose spending a few quid more would work out better in the long run!

All puns excused!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I don't understand the idea of opening the poll before the event, how can I rate it before I've done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Peterx wrote: »
    I don't understand the idea of opening the poll before the event, how can I rate it before I've done it?

It would appear a Mod or someone added the poll to all event threads, that poll wasn't there originally.

Can't explain why people are voting already though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

I just assumed that those of us who did GFW last yr were voting retrospectively.. then i saw the docklands run had it, and seeing as how this yrs one was the first one the penny dropped..

think it should be removed- dont like it! (the poll that is, not the docklands run)

did a bit of hilltraining on ticknock tonite.. fared better than i thought- although took it very slowly.. reached the 'summit' without walking once, which was a real result for me. pegged it down then. going to just try and beat my time every time i do it.

Wonkagirl wrote: »

did a bit of hilltraining on ticknock tonite.. fared better than i thought- although took it very slowly.. reached the 'summit' without walking once, which was a real result for me. pegged it down then. going to just try and beat my time every time i do it.

[EDIT]

Wonkagirl, would you know how that Ticknock route would compare to the Hell Fire path? Would it be way harder?

I've been doing the zig zag path up (slowly), then the steep one down, then attempting to do it in reverse, but I never really get very far back up the steep path before the legs say no more.

So I'm looking for a kind of in-between route in that general area before I attempt that again as I'm just not strong enough yet.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The Docklands was run last year so hence been rated.

I presume ppl are voting based on last year which is far enough.

Ticknock v hellfire fire road would be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

The thread is about GF6 2010. A thread for GF6 2009 I could see of point of opening a poll for.

Vitamin C;
    Go to the IMRA Wednesday night races if you can get to them in either Wicklow or Limerick, they are very welcoming, have runners of all abilities and you get to find new training places every Wednesday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Can't explain why people are voting already though!

lol class; predictive ratings :)

Do people use bike shoes out of interest? With this new route now near CP it will mean that we will have to run potentially another section along with the section on scelp after CP.

As anyone prices what a set of armadillos are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

yop wrote: »

Do people use bike shoes out of interest? With this new route now near CP it will mean that we will have to run potentially another section along with the section on scelp after CP.

I used bike shoes last year, only because I couldn't get my clipless pedals off the bike the night before bringing it to Delphi. With the longer offroad sections this year, I'm confused as to what to do. There are a few us talking about doing the cycle/croagh patrick leg soon, so will bring the bike shoes for that and see how I get on.

The thread is about GF6 2010. A thread for GF6 2009 I could see of point of opening a poll for.

Vitamin C;
    Go to the IMRA Wednesday night races if you can get to them in either Wicklow or Limerick, they are very welcoming, have runners of all abilities and you get to find new training places every Wednesday.

Thanks Peterx I'll definitely look into that.

Vitamin C;

yeah i'm hoping to get involved in IMRA too. Looks like a great club and the ideal training. Was looking at the website and it all very well organised.

Hellfire and Ticknock are indeed very similar in terms of gradient etc.. i'm definitely going to do some form of hilltraining every week now, it's amazing what diffferent muscles it uses that flat running (no ****:D), i even got cramps in my stomach during the first ascent.. was thrilled with myself though that i made it to the top, was really chuffed.. dont think i'll be running up CP now on the day or antyhing, but the more hill training, the better.. think twas peterX himself who said that hills separate the men from the boys?

no way am i changing my shoes for the biking btw.. but then i'm just hoping to get around in a decent 5 hours 30 or so, not in it to win it, my only aim is to be in the top 50%, sans injuries and avec a smile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Sorry about the poll guys, I got a little carried away but having talked with Donothoponpop, in future I'll add the poll after the race.
    I did have the idea of one thread for the same race year after year (so GFW thread would include 2009,2010,2011 and so on) so a race would have an average rating based on previous experience and this years experience but DP rightly pointed out you can only vote once in the poll so out the window goes that idea.
    So the same race will have a different thread each year and a poll will be introduced after the race and people can then go and compare the results with the previous year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Woddle wrote: »
    Sorry about the poll guys, I got a little carried away but having talked with Donothoponpop, in future I'll add the poll after the race.
    :eek:This makes it look like I gave you a stern talking to! I think you're doing a great job with the improvements in the Events forum, in future we'll just add a poll after the event each year as you say, and link the thread when a new discussion starts up the following year.

*Poll reset and closed, will open after the event :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BeachMusic

As CK said head out the N59 or the Leenane road , about 4 miles from Westport turn right for owenwee and then a quick left (signed post Owenwee kennels) keep to this road for about 1.5 miles and follow the road to the right (note: this brings you to the mountain rescue base station where the reek run starts but in the race you will go straight ahead on your bike and cycle back thru the woods to the reek).
    After the right turn travel on about 2-3miles until you get to the mountain rescue portacabins - This is the base for the reek climb on GF. Basically walk in a straigh line from this across very wet and boggy land until you get to a visible path , this zig/zags to the right and then left up the reek for about 2.5k each way .
    Weather is not great Sat so come prepared and if your in Westport early there is a sprint Triathlon early morning at the quay if you want to warm up:)

Hi toomuchdetail, thanks for this info. I am thinking of walking this route next week. Can you or anyone else tell me is there transport from Westport to or near the start of this route (and back)? I was going to get the train to WP instead of driving so wont have car. I dont really know Westport or CP and this year is my first time to do GF.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

No transport as such from the train station to the back of the reek but there are a couple of taxi's that would bring you out that far from your hotel or b+b , there is also a place in Westport that hires bikes so you could nail 2 birds with 1 stone . From the mountain rescue base to the top of the reek is probably an hour walk each way, obviously faster if you run , the cycle would add at least an hour each side . So it depends on what sort of exertion your looking for.
    PM me and I can give you some numbers if you like .

Did the 12k 1st run of Gaelforce there on Saturday, despite all the training this year it didn't feel any easier, cycled from Killary to Westport then along the GF route, didn't find that too bad, so 60k done on Saturday.

All I had was 2 bananas and a few jelly babies, and an energy drink, when I got back to Westport, I had nothing left, was completely shattered.

In GF last year, I was on the energy drinks and gels, can anyone advise what foods are best for an event of this length, even after doing it last year, and a few other events, I aint a 100% sure whats best yet.

well done CK, jesus that's good goin'.. know what you mean about 'not getting any easier'- that can be frustrating, i feel like i'm not making any progress at the moment either, think it's cos i'm drinking too much at the weekends tho.

With regards to race nutrition, 'they' say you shoudl be consuming 150 calories an hour or thereabouts.. so you didnt have nearly enough- what did you have before you set out? having said that, you covered 60km, it's pretty normal to be as knackered as you were really.. how are the legs today?

last yr I had a banana and a gel just before the kayak, then i had sellotaped 2 energy bars to the bike- had 1 of them at the start of the cycle, then another one about 10 mins before ascending CP.. had half a wholemeal bagel with peanut butter at the summit of CP as well.. god i was feeling very sick at that stage and it was hard to eat, but i figured i needed it for the last hour

the trick is to eat little bits and often, every hour if you can i suppose. and put a diorlyte or nuun tablet into the bladder of the camelbak, and a bottle of lucozade sport on the bike to be swigging for the cycle? sip, dont gulp!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

guys, how many water stops are there?

• Advertisement

guys, how many water stops are there?

Zero!

You need to bring any food and water with you.

Think there might have been some water and fig rolls at the bottom of the reek last year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Zero!

You need to bring any food and water with you.

Think there might have been some water and fig rolls at the bottom of the reek last year.
    cool, was thinking that anyone.

do many people run with backpacks?

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    With regards to race nutrition, 'they' say you shoudl be consuming 150 calories an hour or thereabouts.. so you didnt have nearly enough- what did you have before you set out? having said that, you covered 60km, it's pretty normal to be as knackered as you were really.. how are the legs today?

last yr I had a banana and a gel just before the kayak, then i had sellotaped 2 energy bars to the bike- had 1 of them at the start of the cycle, then another one about 10 mins before ascending CP.. had half a wholemeal bagel with peanut butter at the summit of CP as well.. god i was feeling very sick at that stage and it was hard to eat, but i figured i needed it for the last hour

Cheers, 150cals per hour, that should be easily done. All I had before heading out was a cup of tea and a bowl of cereal, feck all really.

The legs were stiff on Sunday, still bad yesterday but got early yesterday and climbed the reek, up and down in 55 mins, was happy with that, legs are a 100% today, my much needed rest day.

I was the same at the reek, tried eating a snickers, and felt sick, Gels was all I was fit to take. What energy gels/bars do you use?

At Wicklow Adventure Race they had Powerbar cycle shots, they were like jelly sweets, must look into getting a bag or 2 too.

Yip, most people will have camelbaks or normal backpacks during it. Camelbak is probably the best option.

yeah pretty much everyone i'd say.. i have a small 2 litre bladder in my camelbak, with room for a few gels.. then i had a luco sport bottle on the bike, and 2 energy bars sellotaped to the handlebars of the bike too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hi all, long time reader of this forum, years in fact, but have turned over a new leaf along with my user name.

Anyway, I'm another doing both Gael Force and the Achill Roar, did the Wicklow Roar a couple of weeks ago and finished under the two hours mark which I was quite happy with, don't know if that was a once off or if I can continue the decent performances.

Good to read all the tips from previous participants of Gael Force, particularly when it comes to what foods/drinks to use. As part of training I've started doing the IMRA races, bloody tough yokes but good fun at the same time. I'll have to increase my cycling though, I lost lots of time in Wicklow on the last cycle which I was a bit disappointed with considering I had put a good run in, plenty of time though.

exactly TR, loads and loads of time.. i'm already feeling much better positioned now than i was last june

The cycling let me down last yr in GFW, but purely because i had a piece of s*** of a hybrid bike- bought myself a lovely Giant Rapid over the weekend (with puncture resistant tyres) that i'm hoping will make a big difference.. gonna stick with 1 spinning class a week and a bit of cylcing at the weekends incorporating hills out in blackrock- up and down newtownparkavenue, then merrion avenue, then booterstown avenue and home..newtown is great as it's a nice long road. hard enough to find hills in the centre of dublin, it's a very flat city we live in! cork is much better for the aul hills!

Myself and CK did the spinning this year WKG and I think it made feck all difference to us on the bikes, I could be wrong about that.
    We both then signed up with the local cycling club who go out twice per week, Wed is a 40km spin and the Sunday then is in or about 80-90km depending on the route, I am only with them 2 weeks but I have to say even in that short period it has helped my legs strenghten on the bike.
    So if that is an option I would recommend it.

The bike also murdered me last year with cramps and then puncture so I am "hoping" that these spins will at least keep me on the bike for the full spin. Then again... maybe not :)

How big are the hills on the GFW? I took a spin around Ballycastle at the weekend (and met a few cyclists) there are a few hills but small enough i felt??

How big are the hills on the GFW? I took a spin around Ballycastle at the weekend (and met a few cyclists) there are a few hills but small enough i felt??

In GF, there is one large hill to be climbed, and a few small ones, and one last climb to the reek transition.

See the link below, its from Kilary to Wesport, the GF route starts at 18k into it. 8k after that there is a large hill to be climbed. I went straight into westport instead of heading to the reek, as I broke spokes on my bike coming down one of the hills.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35735313

• Advertisement

Cheers, a quick question, can competitors make their own way to the start line or do they have to go by bus?

Advertisement