Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team America Club Challenge

Options
  • 18-05-2010 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

Who did everybody get?

I got a guy who is top of division 3 and think Il be able to take him.

It'll be a closer match unlike last years debacle against those pesky Italians.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

I have been drawn against Eastwood. He is in Div 2, he has a clearly better team. but I think if I can get tactics right I will give a run for his money as his team while better, is not massively ahead... from a quick glance that is!:p

might revise the above once look more throughly. his pack is much heavier though I reckon!

Might wander to offsite to get tactic advice from the dutchies!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I got a Div II team with 3 U20 International players in it :rolleyes:

They didn't make their playoffs either so they will be on perfect energy and more than likely 100% LTNT effectiveness.

I do like to beat Americans though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

I got a Div 3 team... havent looked into them properly yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

I got a Div 2 team from Canada(?)

Reckon I could take them, he is only 200 places ahead of me in the rankings. The main problem will be I will have just come from Playoffs amd used up my LTNT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

I'm against a 2nd div team who while better than me only has two players who are way out of my league.

As a balance to my being in playoffs beforehand he has a relegation playoff two days later so I should be safe from an LTNT while being able to return whatever I have.

They're definite favourites but I'm more confident here than in previous challenges

• Advertisement

crisco10 wrote: »
    I got a Div 2 team from Canada(?)

They drafted in a small number of Canadian teams to make up numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Nice of you ****ers to tell about this...after sign-up.

Bastards.

Orizio wrote: »
    Nice of you ****ers to tell about this...after sign-up.

Bastards.

You should check the forum more often, and not be up your own... so much!:eek: :pac:;)

mar-z annouced it here... man that's embarrassing to rant and be wrong... :D

Mar-z?

Never heard of him.

Orizio wrote: »
    Mar-z?

Never heard of him.

Ouch, you cut me real deep Orizio :(

Luckily I have my place in the community challenge to soothe the hurt :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

I got a Canadian team whos game fell through in the Canada vs Japan game. Much much much higher CSR than me. Bummer

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭JohnButler

Bah, missed out on this due to a late application.:mad:

Ah sure, probably just as well:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭daheff

Got a Canadian team that is WAY(nearly 300 places higher) better than mine...in for another hammering (could be 2 in a week if i manage to get to playoff final-team who won league are also WAY better than me) - ah well..at least my ranking will drop for start of next season and i'll get some good IGT :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 flaming poney

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

JohnButler wrote: »
    Bah, missed out on this due to a late application.:mad:

Ah sure, probably just as well:rolleyes:

funnily enough, I'm on that list of teams that didn't get in because of a late entry but for some reason I got a fixture for it....

And it turns out that my guy hasn't been on since early May, hopefully he stays that way... Am I right in assuming that if he doesn't accept its a "W" for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Bah! I was very confused until I read through the thread and found the "didn't get a game" list. Not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Landed a guy about 80 world ranking places ahead of me but he finished 3rd and has a tough enough playoff this weekend. I'll have a cut at him and throw an ltnt at him for the hell of it. Might even let the ball out the backs for a change.

Of course thats if he accepts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Going a little experimental for this. Two props in the backrow - pack weight 943kg. No expansive or creative, blitz defence, and a backrow full of my best defenders.

It could be great or horrific, but it'll be something!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wylie Luke

Hey Dave, I've been playing with 60% Pick n Go, 20% Driving and only 10% Creative and Expansive and it's worked for me with 5 wins with that setup!

Interesting to watch the 1 time my team tried a neat wrap-around move today they stuffed it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Just had a closer look at my opponents team. In the playoffs he had a front row of 79 kg 180cm, 123kg 191 cm & 98 kg 184 cm and 2nd rows 187cm and 190cm.

At first I was thinking he'd gone bot or something but he's been in since season 1 and has an average csr of 31k (9k more than me). I get the feeling I'm missing something very important :(

MarVeL wrote: »
    I get the feeling I'm missing something very important :(
    If you are, i can't see it either. That is his regular starting front row (his team is unusually settled actually - he never seems to make changes in the pack).
    On top of that, his squad does hardly any training, he's got six squad players losing CSR due to age, and his outhalf is 15k csr.
    I'd say he doesn't do much with the game at all.

I'd expect to dominate the set piece despite the csr difference.
    The only area i'd be remotely concerned is the center/wing - it seems to be where he directs all of his limited attention.

analysis...

want to have a look at my guy and suggest something? I am currently going with an up the jumper tight play and no kicking...with LTNT and hoping not to be stuffed!:D

basically 31% P&G & Driving each so 62% there (might increase it more) and then 25 expansive and 13 creative.

with 10% kicking and 90% of that to touch.

any advice boardsies?

the team is Eastwood, manager Clint Eastwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Ah crap, just realised my match wont be on till the middle of the night because im away from home.

eoferrall wrote: »
    want to have a look at my guy and suggest something? I am currently going with an up the jumper tight play and no kicking...with LTNT and hoping not to be stuffed!:D

basically 31% P&G & Driving each so 62% there (might increase it more) and then 25 expansive and 13 creative.

with 10% kicking and 90% of that to touch.

any advice boardsies?

the team is Eastwood, manager Clint Eastwood.

Id do the complete opposite. He has a very good pack so id be trying to keep the ball away from them as much as possible. Ye are much closer matched in the backs so id be inclined to go expansive and creative.
    Lob a few up and unders for the backs to chase.

Id do the complete opposite. He has a very good pack so id be trying to keep the ball away from them as much as possible. Ye are much closer matched in the backs so id be inclined to go expansive and creative.

Yeah I thought about this but would that not lead to lots of turnovers and him annihilating me in the set pieces etc? but I may bow to your greater wisdom and go for broke... run the ball from everywhere! :D

thanks for your input :)

eoferrall wrote: »
    Yeah I thought about this but would that not lead to lots of turnovers and him annihilating me in the set pieces etc?

Thats gonna happen anyway with the pack he has if you keep it close especially in the scrum, his prop of 135+Kg!!

Its gonna be a difficult match no matter what you do but you never know, a few expansive plays might actually stick and you could sneak in for a few tries....Disclaimer: Scoring of tries may or may not happen

I'd be thinking the same. I would run away from that monster of a pack all day long tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Just setting my tactics up now, My opponents seems to have a pretty average pack but his top players (by CSR) are outside backs.

Lots of P'N'G, Driving and kicking to touch for me...Here's hoping it works. :pac:

Kick to touch because his 2nd rows are 193 and 196cm versus my 200 and 206. My back row is also significantly taller. Sensible tactic, no?

• Advertisement

Thats gonna happen anyway with the pack he has if you keep it close especially in the scrum, his prop of 135+Kg!!

Its gonna be a difficult match no matter what you do but you never know, a few expansive plays might actually stick and you could sneak in for a few tries....Disclaimer: Scoring of tries may or may not happen

I'd be thinking the same. I would run away from that monster of a pack all day long tbh.

Right lads sure it's worth a shot, I have changed around tactics to get it wide asap! and kicking is upped a lot and moved from touch to up and unders. hopefully the extra days rest for my players benefits me...

I won't be able to watch as I have lectures tonight unfortunately, so shall be running home to see how I did.

hopefully he underestimates me :D

picture.php?albumid=822&pictureid=6334

hmm very even in the backs, better attack similar defense, pack it has it. he's going to rape me in rucks, there will be a lot of turnovers I think! Also if I am not ahead come last 20 game over since his stamina will see home home.

Advertisement