Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saudi Women - fighting back!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Violence. Long proven as the best method of cultural change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

There would be horror on the streets of Britain if the full burka was shed and the evidence of the physical domestic violence these women endure were exposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Darlughda wrote: »
    There would be horror on the streets of Britain if the full burka was shed and the evidence of the physical domestic violence these women endure were exposed.

Ah yes, the Burka - the camouflage for the battered Muslim woman.

You can't beat a good generalisation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Possibly very true. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I can picture the scene now

'dammit woman, why aren't the dishes done? You're going to get an Irish kiss tonight if you're not careful!'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I just hope one day we can unite and liberate those folks living under this oppressive religious regime. I suppose we these poor people will have to wait until the oil runs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

This is a pisstake right? or do you really think all Muslim women are beaten by their husbands? And that's why they wear a burka?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Yup, but SOME generalisations are pretty accurate, nonetheless.

Do you remember the TV pic of a live execution of women in a football field anywhere? Anytime in the last ten years?

Do you have the slightest comprehension of what is going on for many fundamentalist islam women in Britain?

Google it. Oh just to help you, try googling honour killings as well.

My sister works in Manchester in the burns unit of one of the major hospitals. You would not believe the torture that is going on. And these are the unreported stories.

I can picture the scene now

'dammit woman, why aren't the dishes done? You're going to get an Irish kiss tonight if you're not careful!'

Funny how a Mod of History can post this kind of nonsense just because he is utterly ignorant of what is going on right now.

• Advertisement

This is a pisstake right? or do you really think all Muslim women are beaten by their husbands? And that's why they wear a burka?

Don't be living up to your username. No one said 'all'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

Pauleta wrote: »
    I just hope one day we can unite and liberate those folks living under this oppressive religious regime.
    eh??

we've enough problems of our own here with the RC church love so forget about trying to change other nations beliefs and ways of living just because its different and difficult for westerners to comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Are you saying that domestic violence is a big part of their culture?

This is a pisstake right? or do you really think all Muslim women are beaten by their husbands? And that's why they where a burka?

Yes, pretty much par for the course, but there are also a lot of moderate or 'catholic' Muslims who don't follow the old ways, but cannot say they don't.

So there would be a lot of modern Muslim women living non Muslim lives very happily.

But from the old religions women were owned by the husband and he could punish them as he thought fit.

In a Christian story, a man called Joseph was betrothed to Mary ~ she got pregnant by an angel, but under the old law Joseph should have stoned her to death, if he did not, the village elders would stoned both of them to death ~ they fled.

You might know this story with a different slant and it is based some 600 years before Islam emerged.

Wearing the Burka is a religious symbol ~ as far as I'm told, I accept that, but that it may hide what we in the free west would be jailed for, ie, beating up our wives, then it's a happy coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Want to hear a joke?

Women's rights.

Speaking of Manchester, I lived there too and also in Bolton (Halliwell road) which was mainly a burka community.
    Now I CANNOT say that I saw females who were covered up outside, with bruises - for obvious reasons.
    But when indoors and in the job I had there, I saw as much barka ladies with bruising as I did other non-burka ladies in society.
    Thats all.

Having spoken to some of them myself, some confirmed how they came about their injuries.
    I am NOT saying a burka is a higher indication of attacks than normal, I am say that its a possibly it's happening just as much.
    Again, thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

gbee wrote: »
    Yes, pretty much par for the course, but there are also a lot of moderate or 'catholic' Muslims who don't follow the old ways, but cannot say they don't.

So there would be a lot of modern Muslim women living non Muslim lives very happily.

But from the old religions women were owned by the husband and he could punish them as he thought fit.

In a Christian story, a man called Joseph was betrothed to Mary ~ she got pregnant by an angle, but under the old law Joseph should have stoned her to death, if he did not the village elder would stone both of them to death ~ they fled.

You might know with story a different slant and it is based some 600 years before Islam emerged.

Wearing the Burka is a religious symbol ~ as far as I'm told, I accept that, but that it may hide what we in the free west would be jailed for, ie, beating up our wives, then it's a happy coincidence.

What angle? 45 degrees? 60 degrees? Better not have been plain old 90 degrees

Are you saying that domestic violence is a big part of their culture?

Nope. What I am saying is there is a huge hidden horror, that is domestic violence and honour killings going on in Britain within some of the more extremist, fundametalist communities.

bluto63 wrote: »
    What angle? 45 degrees? 60 degrees? Better not have been plain old 90 degrees

I fixed it ~ it was an angel

gbee wrote: »
    I fixed it ~ it was an angel

Yes, but I allowed my pedantic cynicism to take over. I don't agree with the burka though. For the reasons mentioned, it allows indecent acts upon the body to be hidden from public. While it may not happen often, it enables it. It's part of their culture for the man to be in control of the woman, and like any culture, you'll have some men taking that too far. I know that banning it would be restricting peoples religious freedom, but how many Muslim women do you think would prefer to wear the burka than to not? I'd say pressure from male Muslims scares many into wearing it though.
    This is all just assumption though

• Advertisement

Back to the original theme, it seems the tides are turning. Recently I mentioned that the head of the country allowed himself to be photographed with women (very good of him! :rolleyes: ) and it was made public.

They know the tides are turning and ladies are finding their own self-worth more so.
    Hopefully within another generation or so (wishful thinking that it would be quicker), they will be a force to be reckoned with just as equally as the men there!
    Lord knows when the oil runs out, there will be a lot of changes, some expected, some unforeseen at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bluto63 wrote: »
    Yes, but I allowed my pedantic cynicism to take over. I don't agree with the burka though. For the reasons mentioned, it allows indecent acts upon the body to be hidden from public. While it may not happen often, it encourages it.
    Perhaps the word you are looking for is "enables".

Possession of a baseball bat doesn't encourage a punishment beating, but it does enable it.

Victor wrote: »
    Perhaps the word you are looking for is "enables".

Possession fo a baseball bat doesn't encourage a punishment beating, but it does enable it.

True. I should have said enables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Funny how a Mod of History can post this kind of nonsense just because he is utterly ignorant of what is going on right now.

Dunno what my mod position has to do with anything, but I'm not ignorant just because I don't buy into hate filled sensationalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I wonder if they bother to put their faces on crimewatch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Don't be living up to your username. No one said 'all'.

No where have you said 'some', so if you make a generalisation like that, it tends to include the majority, not some. So don't try to make out like I just took it up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Violence. Long proven as the best method of cultural change.
    Not really, it's a good way of wiping out a culture (which can't really be done these days) but Modern examples of India and the US show peaceful protest are the only way to overcome the most powerful government's. In the end the way Ireland got freedom was by moving from violence to political debate. Violence isn't working in any of the current conflicts, it just breeds more violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The existence of the burqa is actually bad enough in itself without needing to make generalisations to discredit them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I believe he was being sarcastic Mr. Lord.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Oh yeah - that could be the only reason. I know that to be fact coz I read it in the Daily Rag.

I even heard from a guy who knows a girl whose sister is a nurse, that almost all Muslim women who attend A&E also wear the Burka to disguise the fact that they have moustaches, hairy armpits & uni-brows.

Sure, it's no wonder they cover up from head to toe. Half of them look like Chewbacca.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement