Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Information warning risks of Dental Tourism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

Another selective interpretation of the facts from the IDA?

Their August '09 survey where their press release stated that "A major new survey has found that over the past 12 months, 76% of Irish dentists in private practice [more than 3 out of 4] have had to treat patients for problems linked to the dental treatment they received abroad."

Now they neglected to mention that this 75% figure was out of the number of dentists that actually responded to their survey... which was 440 out of 1700 and not 75% of Irish dentists, a figure which they and lazy journalists continue to quote erronously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Here (unfortunately only in German and most is about general medical tourism) are some other figures (also it does mention the 75% Irish figure).
    Some German insurance companies did a study in 2004 and came to the result that 48% of the dental treatment outside Germany (mostly Eastern Europe) was faulty. A similar study in 2008 however found that the quality had vastly improved, especially for smaller, uncomplicated treatment and that the material now used was mostly the same that was used by German and Austrian dentists.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

yobr wrote: »
    Another selective interpretation of the facts from the IDA?

Their August '09 survey where their press release stated that "A major new survey has found that over the past 12 months, 76% of Irish dentists in private practice [more than 3 out of 4] have had to treat patients for problems linked to the dental treatment they received abroad."

Now they neglected to mention that this 75% figure was out of the number of dentists that actually responded to their survey... which was 440 out of 1700 and not 75% of Irish dentists, a figure which they and lazy journalists continue to quote erronously.

Do you really think that if every Irish dentist was surveyed that it would have given a different result? Because I don't. This year 120 dentists were surveyed and the result was 75%. Pretty consistent I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

I agree big g, there would be little change if there was 100% reply. Still the level of response is not too bad for a postal survery, often that kind of study gets a very poor response and this is dealt with in the stats

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

Big_G wrote: »
    Do you really think that if every Irish dentist was surveyed that it would have given a different result? Because I don't. This year 120 dentists were surveyed and the result was 75%. Pretty consistent I think.

One of the key aspects of dental tourism is empowering customers with information. In all aspects of medical and dental treatment customers need information to enable them to make informed choices - the recent Competition Authority report on competition in the dental sector acknowledged this.

It is misleading for the IDA (and journalists) to misquote survey results, the results of their survey (August '09) did not indicate that 75% of all Irish dentists dealt with problems arising from dental tourism as 75% was not the response rate, it was 440 out of 1,700. Whether the survey result would be the same or different if all dentists responded is irrelevant. My point is that the survey results are being misquoted and that is not a help to consumers who are trying to make decisions regarding their treatment needs. Perhaps the remaining dentists did not respond because they did not treat such patients?

Maybe we need to address the question of why so many people travel for their dental needs.

• Advertisement

And my point is that I don't think it was misleading. As far as I know the reason is that it was impractical to ask everyone, plus many people just don't respond. It wasn't the only component of the survey, if you read the report in its entirety you would know that.

To suggest that the IDA is being dishonest because it and the media are misquoting a small issue and section within a report is disingenuous. Statistics can be selected to show pretty much anything. For insance, the Consumer Association released a report during the week purportedly showing a lack of competition within the medical and dental professions. Anybody reading the report would know that it showed a huge variation in prices. Competition proven.

You are right to say that people travel abroad because they are ill informed. But the professions are a knowledge asymmetry. We spend many years training and studying to understand our subject. All of the facets and subtleties cannot be imparted upon a patient in the short space of time during a consultation.

The treatment received by patients in this country is on average better than that received in Eastern Europe in my opinion. The level of satisfaction that Irish patients have with Irish dentistry is significant according to a recent independant survey carried out by Behaviour and Attitudes.

You point out something which in my opinion and the opinion of many is meaningless. That is how surveys are done. They take a cross section of a population and ask them questions. They don't survey an entire population due to the impracticalities of doing so.

The only population wide survey in existence is the Census.

But this 75% figure doesn't tell you anything (wheter 440 or 1700 denists reply).

Imagine 10.000 people are going to Eastern Europ in 1 year. Of them 1080 get bad treatment and have to go to an Irish dentist for correction. If they go each to a different dentist, you still would get the above 75% figure, even so only 11% of the treatments were bad.

So the more relevant figures would be of how many treatments go wrong, not how many dentists have treated patients with treatment gone wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Based on your logic the 11% is the minimum percentage as there would be a higher percentage who have problems but who did not go to a deentist. Most people travelling are having non routine treatment so 11% is a very high number and you have no idea how badly a patient suffers both emotionally and financially when complex implant/crown/bridgework goes wrong and everything has to be redone.

mdebets wrote: »
    But this 75% figure doesn't tell you anything (wheter 440 or 1700 denists reply).

Imagine 10.000 people are going to Eastern Europ in 1 year. Of them 1080 get bad treatment and have to go to an Irish dentist for correction. If they go each to a different dentist, you still would get the above 75% figure, even so only 11% of the treatments were bad.

So the more relevant figures would be of how many treatments go wrong, not how many dentists have treated patients with treatment gone wrong.

The report states that the mean number of patients that each dentist reported seeing was 7. That is 3000 patients a year with problems. Whether it is a significant proportion or not it is a significant number.

The report states that the mean number of patients that each dentist reported seeing was 7. That is 3000 patients a year with problems. Whether it is a significant proportion or not it is a significant number.

Even this number means nothing, because the absolute numbers don't mean anything. If 3100 people whent for treatment abroad, 3000 means alot, while when 100,000 went abroad it means nothing.
    The number also doesn't say what was wrong with them. It could just be that the bite was slightly wrong and the dentist just needed to adjust this or it could be that a full set of implants needed to be replaced.

The problem I have with these figures is that IDA tries to scaremonger by providing a number that looks huge, but doesn't mean anything.
    What they should provide is a more accurate statistic of how many dental treatments went wrong and maybe a breakdown of the severity of the problems.

The IDA should rather educate people how to identify a good dentist (here or abroad) and what could go wrong with dental treatment and what potential problems are and why local treatment might be preferable to treatment further away (be it in Eastern Europe or something simple like someone from Cork going to a Dentis in Mayo). To try and scaremonger people into believing that all foreign treatment is bad and only an Irish dentist can treat you properly will people away, when they investigate it further and find that this is just not always true, but that you have good and bad dentists everywhere.

As I already said in a different thread, I know the problem Irish vs foreign dentists (in my case German dentists) from the other side. Ask 90% of all German expats living in Ireland about Irish dentists and they will tell you they would never go to any, not even if they are in severe pain, because they are so bad (allegedly, even a German dentist working in Ireland was saying this).

• Advertisement

German dentists can think whatever they like and German patients. They are wrong. Irish dentists are good. Very good, for the most part.

All I can tell you is my own personal experience. All of my patients that have been abroad for treatment have had substandard treatment.

Its not scaremongering either. Its warning people of a potential risk.

German dentists can think whatever they like and German patients. They are wrong. Irish dentists are good. Very good, for the most part.
    Don't you see the similarities between this and what you are saying about foreign dentists?
    All I can tell you is my own personal experience. All of my patients that have been abroad for treatment have had substandard treatment.

Its not scaremongering either. Its warning people of a potential risk.
    It is scaremongering.
    There are very good reasons to go to a dentist near you, rather than to one further away (being that going to a dentist in Eastern Europe or going to a dentist in Mayo if you live in Cork). Reasons like after treatments, easier possibilities to sue if something goes wrong, you're more likely to leave if you are not confortable with him, as you haven't already invested time and money to go to him, you speak the same language, etc. But these reasons are never mentioned by the IDA. Instead the same old argument is flogged of all foreign dentists are bad, only Irish dentists are good. It's easy for patients to look through this argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Yawn :pac:

No, I do not. I am only criticising a particularly small subset of foreign dentists in Eastern Europe and Turkey mainly who treat patients with unnecessarily complex and unconservative treatment plans in excessively small amounts of time that result in long term and often irreversible damage to patients.

German patients do not routinely travel to Ireland to have treatment. They do travel to Hungary and Turkey, though. Why don't you ask your German dentist friends what they think of Hungarian and Turkish dentistry? They will say the same thing that I am saying.

The main issue here is cost. People travel where it costs less. My point is this, there is a reason that it costs here. It's because it is better. It costs in Germany because it is better. It costs in the USA and Canada because it is better. It costs more in Japan. Anywhere you can think of where people travel from one place to another for treatment because of cost, the original place had higher quality treatment.

Anyway, Ireland is competing for price with the eastern europeans. The only thing we are not competitive on at the moment is implants. There is a reason. We pay more for our implants and we pass that cost on to the consumer.

In many cases, travelling is a false economy, not least because of travel costs, but often because of the necessity of remedial work costing many times what the original work cost.

The IDA doesnt say that all foreign dentists are bad. The very reasons you quote for promoting dental treatment closer to home are often used to advise patients of the dangers of dental tourism.

"Reasons like after treatments, easier possibilities to sue if something goes wrong, you're more likely to leave if you are not confortable with him, as you haven't already invested time and money to go to him, you speak the same language, etc."

When someone travels they often have huge ammounts of complex work in a short period of time. If there are complications it can be disasterous and impossible to fix. This is what most dentists Irish, or otherwise, would advise against. Being conservative in dentistry is usually a good thing I think.

No, I do not. I am only criticising a particularly small subset of foreign dentists in Eastern Europe and Turkey mainly who treat patients with unnecessarily complex and unconservative treatment plans in excessively small amounts of time that result in long term and often irreversible damage to patients.

But that's what the IDA is saying. Read the article at the start of the threat. It says 75% of all dentist had to do re-work on work performed by a dentist abroad. Don't go to a dentist abroad, unless he is registered with the IDA, so that you can sue him easily. So basically it says, all dentists abroad are bad, unlike the Irish, which are all good.
    That of course leaves the question open what is an Irish dentist? Someone who went to University in Ireland and got their training there? Then what about foreign students, studying in Ireland and going back there. Are they suddenly worse, just because they don't practice in Ireland and are not a member of the IDA?
    And what about Irish (nationality) dentists having studied abroad and coming back as a full dentist, to work in Ireland? Are they Irish dentists and why are they better than students that have studied with them abroad, but practice in their country?

The problem with this sort of argument is that it is very easy, to look through it by the average person, and to see it as an argument to try and protect their vested interest.
    German patients do not routinely travel to Ireland to have treatment. They do travel to Hungary and Turkey, though. Why don't you ask your German dentist friends what they think of Hungarian and Turkish dentistry? They will say the same thing that I am saying.

The main issue here is cost. People travel where it costs less. My point is this, there is a reason that it costs here. It's because it is better. It costs in Germany because it is better. It costs in the USA and Canada because it is better. It costs more in Japan. Anywhere you can think of where people travel from one place to another for treatment because of cost, the original place had higher quality treatment.
    Higher cost doesn't necessary mean higher quality, especially not if you compare it accross countries.
    Imagine you would take your practice, and all your stuff and would move to Eastern Europe. You would buy the same equipment again, you would use the same material as here and perform the same treatment as here. However, it would be much cheaper for the patients, because everything there is much cheaper than here. So your practice in Eastern Europe would not suddenly create subsyandard work, just because you charge less.
    You might have a point if you compare within a country, but even then, this might not even be the case as you have to look at the set-up of the surgery and how they work.
    If I compare my German dentist to my Irish one, who I would judge to be fairly equal quality wise, they have totally different set-ups of their surgeries. My German dentist has 3 treatment rooms and several assistants. So the first patient gets into the first treatment room, get's checked by the dentist, might get some sedation and has to wait. So in the meanwhile, the dentist gets to the next patient in room 2 and so on. He has also open late at some evenings. My Irish dentist at the other hand has only one treatment room and one assistant and only one patient at a time (I don;t think I can remember ever having seen any other patient in the waiting room at the same time as me. She only opens from 10:00 to around 17:00. So the Irish dentist will always be more expensive, because she sees less patients, but still need to cover her costs. The German dentist on the other hand will have seen much more patients at the same time and therefore can charge less. AL that by getting the same quality result and around the same effective consultation time (I know, the German dentist sounds rushed, but he never comes accross like this).
    Anyway, Ireland is competing for price with the eastern europeans. The only thing we are not competitive on at the moment is implants. There is a reason. We pay more for our implants and we pass that cost on to the consumer.

In many cases, travelling is a false economy, not least because of travel costs, but often because of the necessity of remedial work costing many times what the original work cost.

I don't know how you can say that Ireland being competative in price with Eastern Europe? I looked into this before I got my treatment done here (several root canals, crowns and I looked into an implant, but not going ahead with it) and compared it with German prices and the Irish ones were way way off the German ones, so I can't realy think that they would compare much more favourable with Eastern European prices (or I just picked the most expensive dentists in Irieland :) ).

If the IDA really wants to get people to stay for treatment in Ireland and not go to Eastern Europe, they have to promote better reasons.
    They have to say yes, there are good dentists in Eastern Europe, but there are also bad ones, the same as it is in Ireland and everywhere. If you are a good dentist, you normally don't need to advertise, because the patients are coming on their own. So if you see massive advertisements of a dentist, that might just be, because they are not the best. If you go to a foreign county, you most likely will relay on advertisement to find a dentist, as you don't have so many referrals from friends and family as you have in Ireland. Therefore the patient needs other criteria to decide if a dentist is good or not. To get these criteria, he would need to know, what would be best practice for a special treatment (which shouldn't vary too much between different countries, even Ireland and Eastern Europe). And he should know that the treatment needs time and that you can't just perform 5 implants with crowns and a whitning of the reminding teeth over a weekend.

However the IDA does not give this information (at least I can't see it), instead it always repeats don't go to foreign dentists, go to Irish ones because they are better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I think people are missing the point here. The quality of a alarming amount of this fast cheap dental work is below an acceptable standard. The Irish dentist doing the remedial work should not be the topic of conversation here......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I wouldn't go abroad for dental work as I just don't see how paying so little and having so little time to do pretty complex work will result in good treatment. I don't think its the lack of skill or standards thats the problem here its that they do so much in a short space of time. But I do wonder if the IDA decided to survey dentists asking them if they have had patients come to them after other Irish dentists had messed up. I would imagine it would be about the same.

If your irish dentist mucks up you will have one bad crown...when the dental tourist runs into trouble they have 18 bad crowns, and 4 failing implants....its a whole different kettle of fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Guys why are you giving this topic oxygen?, if people want to go let them go, it's cheap as chips in all aspects but that's life, in most things you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement

I can't say there are good dentists in Eastern Europe or Turkey as I haven't seen one item of dentistry come from there that was up to standard. That is just me, one dentist. And I don't repair shoddy work, I send those patients to specialists.

Your German dentist is doing volume dentistry. Fair play to him if he can keep the quality up, a lot of dentists can't. He does volume because he has to. He can't charge enough to make it worth his while to see one patient at a time.

Not going too much further in this debate, but just one last point.
    How do you define Irish and foreign dentists?
    By nationality, by where the work, by where they went to college?

mdebets wrote: »
    Not going too much further in this debate, but just one last point.
    How do you define Irish and foreign dentists?
    By nationality, by where the work, by where they went to college?

You (and only you)introduced the term "foreign dentists" and used it in a few posts. How do you define it?

You (and only you)introduced the term "foreign dentists" and used it in a few posts. How do you define it?

No, Big_G
    Big_G wrote:
    ... criticising a particularly small subset of foreign dentists in Eastern Europe and Turkey...
    used it and day dreamer as well
    The IDA doesnt say that all foreign dentists are bad

To be fair, the IDA does distinguish between Irish dentists that are good and dentists abroad, which are bad.

So let me re=phrase my question.
    What is an Irish dentist?
    • a dentist born in Ireland
    • a dentist with Irish parents
    • a dentist with Irish citizenship
    • a dentist who went to university in Ireland
    • a dentist working in Ireland?

Some for a dentist abroad.
    Is it
    • a dentist not born in Ireland
    • a dentist with non-Irish parents
    • a dentist who has not Irish citizenship
    • a dentist who went to university outsidide of Ireland
    • a dentist working outside of Ireland?

Oh lord.......

This thread is about a IDA press release about the dangers of DENTAL TOURISM. This is a specific term for patients that seeks complex crown, bridge and implant dentistry abroad to avail of lower costs in low cost economies such as eastern europe.

Dental tourism IMHO is not really going to belfast for a filling or single crown but going abroad to have multiple unit complex restorative work carried out. This type of work carries much greater risks as there are a lot of teeth involved. The implications of a bad job with this type work is tens of thousands of euros, much pain and inconvenience for a patient.

I dont really care where a dentist is from, if they are practicing in ireland and carrying out these treatment in ireland then its not dental tourism. If a dentist of any nationallity has a practice in ireland (not a consult in a hotel room in dublin and on a plane for 20 crowns in Budapest) then they are a irish dentist and hopefully are registered with the dental council of ireland and are held to the standards of any other irish dentist. They are covered as is the law by a professional insurance that a unhappy patient can get some recourse with.

Patients are free to go where ever they want for treatment nobody argues this. However it is only buy putting this sort of information out there that the patient can choose with some informed opinion where to go.

The IDA work to promote dentistry in ireland and to inform the public about dental issues, Dental tourism is a big issue and unfortunately the warning of the IDA are seen with some suspicion as can be seen on this thread. "Let not shoot the messenger". I applaud the IDA for carrying out this type of research and media campaign even though contrary to popular belief there is nothing in it of the irish dentist, only information for the irish dental patient.

I am disappointed that this issue got drowned out by a competition authority report that said not more than "there is active competition in the irish dental market as seen by differing prices"

This thread is about a IDA press release about the dangers of DENTAL TOURISM. This is a specific term for patients that seeks complex crown, bridge and implant dentistry abroad to avail of lower costs in low cost economies such as eastern europe.

Dental tourism IMHO is not really going to belfast for a filling or single crown but going abroad to have multiple unit complex restorative work carried out. This type of work carries much greater risks as there are a lot of teeth involved. The implications of a bad job with this type work is tens of thousands of euros, much pain and inconvenience for a patient.
    I fully agree with the last part of your quote, but the IDA is not putting this sort of information out to the patients.
    Instead they have a dubious statistic, which implies that 75% of all dental work abroad is shoddy (in reality only 75% of the dentists who replied had at least one patient where they repaired dodgy work from abroad, that's why I would call the statistic dodgy).
    I dont really care where a dentist is from, if they are practicing in ireland and carrying out these treatment in ireland then its not dental tourism. If a dentist of any nationallity has a practice in ireland (not a consult in a hotel room in dublin and on a plane for 20 crowns in Budapest) then they are a irish dentist and hopefully are registered with the dental council of ireland and are held to the standards of any other irish dentist. They are covered as is the law by a professional insurance that a unhappy patient can get some recourse with.
    And that's exactly why the aboce statistic is so easy to debunk. If a foreign dentist is allowed to work in Ireland (and I have seen some advertisment from Eastern European dentist) then they must meet Irish standards (I'm not sure how it works in Ireland, but I presume that it works similar to Germany, where you have to apply to be able to work as a dentist and they basically compare your degree to the standard German degree and if it judged equall, you can practice here). You probably could also assume that these dentist not all are the very best that country can produce, but are just normal dentists in their country (some might be excelent, some might be poor, but the majority is somewhere in the middle, just like all dentists in Ireland). If you think this is correct, you can never say that dentists from abroad are all bad, because if the normal dentist from e.g. Poland can come to practice in Ireland, the majority of dentists in Poland, who are of similar level would perform similar work as Irish dentists.
    If you came to this conclusion, most people would just think that the warnings from the IDA are just done by money-grabbing dentists who don't want to loose their nice little earners.
    So these people go to the web (because they might not have any references on who is a good dentist in Eastern Europe) and come across 10 advertisments who claim to do 10 implants and crowns over a weekend, they might think that this procedure is just normal, because they don't know any better and might think that these dentists in the advertisement are just normal dentists, when infact they might most likely be below standard dentists (as a good dentist doesn't need advertisement, as the patients are coming on their own).

Here is the point where the IDA would need to target the patients and say, look international best practice is to do implant by implantand crown by crown and leave some weeks in between each. THey might even go as far and produce a study about how many implants fail if they are done properly against how many implants fail if you do 10 in a weekend and load them imeaditly ith crowns.
    That I think would convince peolpe more than a blatant Irish dentists are good, dentists abroad are bad.
    The IDA work to promote dentistry in ireland and to inform the public about dental issues, Dental tourism is a big issue and unfortunately the warning of the IDA are seen with some suspicion as can be seen on this thread. "Let not shoot the messenger". I applaud the IDA for carrying out this type of research and media campaign even though contrary to popular belief there is nothing in it of the irish dentist, only information for the irish dental patient.
    I agree with the end result of the warning, better go to a local dentist then to one further away. I don't agree with the way the IDA tries to bring it accross.
    Why are they not doing studies that show in a more detailed level what goes wrong in treatment abroad and what are the real figures. I would think that would convince more people to get their treatment in Ireland.
    It would also benefit people who can't afford the treatment in Ireland (If you don't have insurance for dentsl treatment nor the money and you need extensive work done, you really only have the choice to not get it done at all and wait until your teet fall out and get some cheap dentures or try and see if you'll find a place where it can be done cheaper then in Ireland). Wouldn't it be better to empower these people to go abroad and get the treatment they need, but also giving them the tools to decide how it is done proberly. This might not be the 500 Euro treatment for 10 implants, ut it will definitely be cheaper then comparable work from a dentist in Ireland.

I worked in a foreign country ( Canada) for 20 years. As well as native born Canadians there were also other non native Canadians including for example Irish English and Polish . In order to practice in Canada one has to pass a rigorous exam similar to the final exam that the Canadian dental students have to sit . This ensures that all immigrant dentists are up to scratch.

This is not quite the case here in Ireland. All European graduates , thanks to the EU enlargement, can walk right in and pay the appropriate registration fee and set up in business. It doesn't mean they are good or bad. But if bad they can be shut down when enough people complain.
    There is nothing to stop them renting a hotel room like a Hong Kong tailor and acting as a conduit to cheap work in another location.

You will not find Canadian dentists holed up in the Clarion Hotel sending patients to Ottawa (where they would receive first class care).

So the issue is not about foreigners or race. But it is about common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Excellent post george. This debate is a little pointless. Non dentists posting here are just trying to stir it up. Best of luck wherever you go.Though i'd be a lot more confident of work carried out in places like here, uk, canada than some of the dental tourism hot spots.I feel that for obvious reasons we're in a pretty good position to judge. There's nobody in budapest, prague etc who'll be putting you up in a hotel for a couple of fillings. As per a previous post when these horrors go wrong it's a specialist who has to clean up the mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 howbow

I am tired of moderators acting as guardian dogs; and tired of moderators talking about "cheap dental works" and denying any sort of thought that refers to going abroad for dental treatment. Why don't you just call it "quality dental work at affordable prices" instead of "cheap dentistry"?

And now, I will just sit back and watch how some guys around here will burst on fire, arguing my post in the same way they are arguing any post related to this subject. But I guess that's your job guys..Those who have decided not to experience a medical holiday, will stand for their statement. Those who are taking into consideration going abroad for dental treatment, will probably do it.

But I personally think that the aggressive way of managing posts here, is, of no good to anybody looking for useful information. Unidirectional, extremist and denying opinions won't fill my lack of info; ..but will only make some guys around here just look childish.

There is no doubt for me that some traveling patients have returned home and needed extra- or repair-works, and this is just a pity that saving money one one side, may bring suffer and pain and trouble on the other side. But that is not general! The medical tourism has been growing so rapidly because of its successful stories, not because of total fails. So I just wanted to point out that discussions held on this topic should bring out some sort of conclusion after all. But it only seems that the conclusion is always the same: Any human on this earth should go to Ireland for dental treatment in order to cut any sort of risk involved!

• Advertisement

The moderators and the dentists on the boards see the effects of over-treatment daily. No-one is saying that you can only get good dental work in Ireland.

We can only give an honest opinion on what we see. No-one can do a thorough examination and diagnosis for a poster on the boards only give their experiences and opinions on what they have seen in their dental surgeries.

Patients are may over-treated when they go abroad as they feel they need to get a lot of work done to make the trip worthwhile. Getting a large ammount of work done in a short period of time is almost always disasterous. If you want to discuss with other medical tourists about the best place to go there are other places for that but you cannot expect moderators and other dentists to support something that they know can cause many problems

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement