Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

scudzilla wrote: »
    I tell this without a word of a lie

When i was growing up back in Wales, Saturday was pocket money day, i got 50p which was awesome, me and a few other mates always used to go straight to the shop and spend it on as many sweets as possible. We were all about 6yrs old

There was about 6 in our little gang, 1 lad, called Paul, never had pocket money, his dad used to tell him that he was putting his 50p in a money box for him and when he was 17, and old enough to drive he'd have enough for a car. His dad even showed him putting the money in the box

Paul used to delight in telling us he'd be driving around in a nice car when he was 17 and we wouldn't.

Seen Paul a year or so ago and had a chat, asked him about the car and what it was. His dad had been putting his 50p into the fcukin electric meter!!!

Now that is just pure stinginess

i would call that down right nasty, i would have no respect for someone fooling their child for a full 17 years of their life
    parents are supposed to teach the good
    this man should hang his head in shame

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

alex73 wrote: »
    Some years ago I was given a piece of advise, Give without expecting in return, I always tip, and give to charity or collections. This started in 1999 when I just started work and hadn't a penny. Well ten years later I can say I am a lot better off. Strange thing is that all the money I have given has come back by other paths.

1. Found £20 on east wall footpath
    2. Found €20 euros in Lucan Superquinn Carpark.
    3. Won £50 on a scartch card on the quays in Dublin (gave £5 to the girl who sold it to me)
    4. Was in an airport and put a euro in a slot machine and won €200.
    5. Won 26 euros in another slot machine 6 months later.
    6. Got a bonus at work every year.
    7. Sold shares at a profit.
    8. Wife has won loads, jackpot at bingo, couple of hundred on lotto.

All in All I think I have got back 5 times more than I have given. Most important rule, Always tip (10% to 15%) always give to charity, always be generous, and never expect anything in return. It really works. call it Karma or what you like, but if everyone was like this, we would all feel better.

I was walking down claryndon street once with a mate and a beggar came up to us. She stopped to give him some change, I looked at him like he was the scum of the earth and continued walking.

As I was walking away I found a €50 note on the ground. Your system fails.

Also, I REALLY don't think think investing in shares counts as "giving not expecting to get a return"!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Robbing a tip jar in a chipper to pay for a burger. I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

Profits from local bingo go to charity.
    No entry fee. Money made from people buying bingo books.
    My neighbour bought a couple of books years ago and filled them in with pencil.
    He'd bring them home, rub them out and re-use them. He was getting away with it for years and collected thousands in winnings until he was eventually caught out.
    B*stard never even felt a bit guilty about it and had the nerve to keep going back to bingo after he was found out.
    He's hated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Profits from local bingo go to charity.
    No entry fee. Money made from people buying bingo books.
    My neighbour bought a couple of books years ago and filled them in with pencil.
    He'd bring them home, rub them out and re-use them. He was getting away with it for years and collected thousands in winnings until he was eventually caught out.
    B*stard never even felt a bit guilty about it and had the nerve to keep going back to bingo after he was found out.
    He's hated.

I am totally teling my mam to try this! That's not nice, but it is genius!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

It's not hard at all. You could use a dual spray electronically timed pump, which may have 2 nozzles, but only 1 sprays until a certain point, which is when the second one would come in.

Not everyone in the world buys petrol in €20 chunks you know. Some of us actually just fill the feckin tank :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,303 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not everyone in the world buys petrol in €20 chunks you know. Some of us actually just fill the feckin tank :rolleyes:

You shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

And I mentioned anything about €20 where....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

ocokev wrote: »
    In my local petrol station, if I am getting 20 euro of petrol and put in an extra cent to leave 20.01, the owner will still give 29.99 change out of 50 euro.
    I once put in 19.99 into the tank and gave him 20 which he put in the till and was giving me no change until I asked him for it.
    To be honest you sound just as stingy as him if you're complaining about not getting an extra 1c in change

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I highly doubt that you can. Have you considered how complicated a system that would be?

I guarantee you it can be done:mad: Its all electronic, just program the pump to increase speed after x amount has gone through it!

What if you're broke, and only need 20 euro worth to tie you over till your next pay-day? What if it took less than 20 to fill? Despite trying not to be stingy, some of us are actually just poor:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

ocokev wrote: »
    I once put in 19.99 into the tank and gave him 20 which he put in the till and was giving me no change until I asked him for it.
    DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    To be honest you sound just as stingy as him if you're complaining about not getting an extra 1c in change

DaPoolRulz, why is he stingy? After all, if he wanted to buy something from a shop and was 1c short, he would not be allowed to buy it. Fair's fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

kelle wrote: »
    DaPoolRulz, why is he stingy? After all, if he wanted to buy something from a shop and was 1c short, he would not be allowed to buy it. Fair's fair!

Generally if I'm in a garage whereby the owner/cashier knows me, I'll often leave behind 10c or less/more and then the next day they'll let it slide if I have less.

It's a nice motoring world I live in :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

scudzilla wrote: »
    I tell this without a word of a lie

When i was growing up back in Wales, Saturday was pocket money day, i got 50p which was awesome, me and a few other mates always used to go straight to the shop and spend it on as many sweets as possible. We were all about 6yrs old

There was about 6 in our little gang, 1 lad, called Paul, never had pocket money, his dad used to tell him that he was putting his 50p in a money box for him and when he was 17, and old enough to drive he'd have enough for a car. His dad even showed him putting the money in the box

Paul used to delight in telling us he'd be driving around in a nice car when he was 17 and we wouldn't.

Seen Paul a year or so ago and had a chat, asked him about the car and what it was. His dad had been putting his 50p into the fcukin electric meter!!!

Now that is just pure stinginess

Paul's Daddy will get a shock when he's no longer fit and able and needs looking after, Paul will just find him the cheapest home to go into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

kelle wrote: »
    You conveniently didn't quote the first part where the poster wanted more than he was entitled to...

Like I said, he's as bad as the guy behind the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

noodler wrote: »
    You shouldn't.

Any special reason ?

My ex used to beleive that (IMHO deludedly) that if you filled the tank, you'd get better MPG.

If the car had a problem, her first suggestion was always "is it the timing?"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,303 ✭✭✭✭noodler

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Any special reason ?

My ex used to beleive that (IMHO deludedly) that if you filled the tank, you'd get better MPG.

Your ex was right.

It takes more gas to move heavier vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭needaname

One of my 'friends' who had been stingy throughout college outdid himself on the final day of college when we were all in the pub celebrating our achievement. The whole class were in the beer garden and a couple of guys bought themselves some food... a big carvery dinner. One guy ate most of it and when he was full wiped his mouth etc and threw dirty hanky, knife fork and any other pieces of rubbish lying around on the plate and pushed it aside. Cue my friend pointing to the food and sayin... you gonna finish that? Picking off the dirty hanky and proceeding to eat the food to the horror of the rest of the class. same guy clearly havent had enough of peoples leftovers picking up a glass and picking out the leftover lemon and eating it and then I kindly pointed out that the dirty glass was not in fact belonging to any of us and he had just eaten a strangers leftover lemon... soo not cool

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Your ex was right.

So she was wasn't right then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Reminds me of one of the first dates I went on with the current Missus Flahavaj.

Were out in a restaurant waiting for food to arrive when the peopel at the next table leave. She points over to their table and says "Do you think anyone would mind..."

I was::eek:, thinking she was going to tuck into their leftovers.

Turns out she meant she was going to have a look at the Herald AM left on one of the seats to check the cinema times.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Remember the table quiz nights in pubs years ago. Usually to raise money for some local charity or team or school. It cost about £5 per person on a team and the winning team won maybe a hundred quid. But this was always given back to the charity.

Until one weekend, and for the first time ever I was on a winning team. Along with 2 mates and my American cousin who was visiting. Mates and myself straight away said to keep the money, it was more the craic on those nights anyway. The cousin was pissed and after about 5 minutes of argueing he went up to the top table and asked for his share of the winnings stating that as he wasn't local he didn't feel any need to give his share to local boys GAA club.

Needless to say he has never been too welcome around home even to this day.

• Advertisement

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Any special reason ?

She was right. Less trips to he petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

My uncle is so tight that he brought his own drink to my wedding rather than pay for drinks at the bar. I wouldn't mind, but we supplied plenty of free drink before and during the meal, and he certainly is not hard up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭GwayGal

I can not stand stingy ppl.
    In col- a lad (employed full time) moved into our houes a friend of my housemate, he stayed for four months, didn't pay rent and stole my food.I put up with it like a fool. After col- ended I said never again will anyone take advantage of my good nature. I do not have stingy friends, I am not stingy and I am happy.

Life is to short to waste bothering about ppl who just want to use you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

my brother was staying in student accomodation with a foreign lad, and his friend always did her washing and tumble drying in their flat. he didn't get back a lot of his deposit because of her.
    honestly, how hard is it to do washing in your own house?

nice tags btw, i see cavan and offaly people there with the scots thrown in :D

Your ex was right.

Yeah strictly speaking it is true but in reality it wouldn't make a difference. Take my Ford Focus as an example.
    €20 @ €1.35 per litre = 14.8 litres.
    €60 @ €1.35 per litre = 44.4 litres (~ full tank)
    'Extra' fuel to carry around = 29.6 litres = ~24 kg.
    Total car weight ~1400kg.
    Extra fuel ~1.7% of car weight. Miniscule difference, you'd cancel it out by carrying a passenger with you, or doing a bit of city driving or sinking the welly a bit too hard, etc

Yeah strictly speaking it is true but in reality it wouldn't make a difference. Take my Ford Focus as an example.
    €20 @ €1.35 per litre = 14.8 litres.
    €60 @ €1.35 per litre = 44.4 litres (~ full tank)
    'Extra' fuel to carry around = 29.6 litres = ~24 kg.
    Total car weight ~1400kg.
    Extra fuel ~1.7% of car weight. Miniscule difference, you'd cancel it out by carrying a passenger with you, or doing a bit of city driving or sinking the welly a bit too hard, etc

Yeah, but say you live 6 miles from the nearest petrol station. Thats 12 miles round trip. Then say you top-up to 2/3 full when your tank has 1/3 left. Thats 3 trips per full tank, 36 extra miles. Then take whatever mileage your car will do on a full tank. 24 of those were a total waste (subtract 12 cos obviously you have to fill up once)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yeah, but say you live 6 miles from the nearest petrol station. Thats 12 miles round trip. Then say you top-up to 2/3 full when your tank has 1/3 left. Thats 3 trips per full tank, 36 extra miles.

It's kinda a bit stingy to work out the miniscule price differences TBH.

Yeah, but say you live 6 miles from the nearest petrol station. Thats 12 miles round trip. Then say you top-up to 2/3 full when your tank has 1/3 left. Thats 3 trips per full tank, 36 extra miles. Then take whatever mileage your car will do on a full tank. 24 of those were a total waste (subtract 12 cos obviously you have to fill up once)

Yeah exactly, that was my original point! just fill up the tank and don't be getting conspiracy theories going about pumps speeding up at €19.50!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

It's not hard at all. You could use a dual spray electronically timed pump, which may have 2 nozzles, but only 1 sprays until a certain point, which is when the second one would come in.

Problem being that you also have to know where a person is going to stop pumping. But of course you could make it happen at 50c intervals.

Besides, your getting what your paying for anyway so the shopkeeper isnt robbing you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Stingiest thing I've seen stingy people do?..

This.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement