Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McGonagles

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I think the Manics played their first gig in Ireland in McGonagles - their first album was of the rock/metal variety and they'd just signed to Sony who were pushing them as such.

Can anyone confirm or deny ? :)

I found this thread (google gives you it first time round for a search of Mcgonagles - it's amazing how large this site is!!)
    Where was McGonagles - 2006

mcgonagles.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I found this thread (google gives you it first time round for a search of Mcgonagles - it's amazing how large this site is!!)
    Where was McGonagles - 2006

Yeah, it looked absolutely tiny from the outside. it WAS tiny from the outside, but it went back... and back... and back... and baaaaaack! The stage was kinda interesting too, it was on two levels, a lower level, which wasn't too high (i remember because i used to be able to run jump onto it, sh*t, how fit was I then? ;) ), and then there was another level for where you'd stick drums, equipment etc. So the lower level wasn't the highest, of course, it was monster sized by comparison to the one in Fibbers :D

The one major drag was downstairs toilets, of course, women would go into the guys toilets and vice versa and nobody gave a crap. Fun times.

ShawnRaven wrote: »

The one major drag was downstairs toilets, of course, women would go into the guys toilets and vice versa and nobody gave a crap. Fun times.

So what's changed from today then ? :D

So what's changed from today then ? :D

The only place left to go now is Fibbers, which for some reason permanently smells of piss. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The only place left to go now is Fibbers, which for some reason permanently smells of piss. :mad:

Cos the main sewer for dominic st flats and the rotunda passes right under it and all the toilets get backed up.

Remember that lovely sweet aroma you used to get downstairs in Frazers in Dominion ? :pac:

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Cos the main sewer for dominic st flats and the rotunda passes right under it and all the toilets get backed up.

Cheers Thaedydal, Always wondered the reasoning for why there and Dominion (when it was held there) always smelled foul. I hadn't been to Fibbers since about 97, and it had the smell then! So when I went to Dominion there around 2005, I think it was, I just remember smirking and saying "the more things change, the more they stay the same".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I use to hang out in McGonagles quite a lot in the 80s and saw a few british bands there to like XTC ( making plans for Nigel) and the Only Ones ( Another Girl, Another Planet ) .The lead singer off the only ones was his face most of the time and would have gave Pete Doherty a run for his money in the druggie stakes :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rppct2qE_ys&feature=PlayList&p=571D9EBCE97FB4BC&playnext=1&index=11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Cheers Thaedydal, Always wondered the reasoning for why there and Dominion (when it was held there) always smelled foul. I hadn't been to Fibbers since about 97, and it had the smell then! So when I went to Dominion there around 2005, I think it was, I just remember smirking and saying "the more things change, the more they stay the same".

:)
    Well the smell is missing in dominion's new home on dame st but everything else
    seems to have transferred well enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭funnyname

Spoilt ye were, us country lads had nothing like that growing up bar the odd cover band here and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Paul Butler

Does anyone know were I can get a copy of Killer-watt ep "Death" on vinyl

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't know about buying but see link below to download:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055773453

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

Loved McGonagles ... spent my youth there ... Fri's Metal Night (Tom Hayes) , many gigs : Acid Reign, Sabbat, even Ozzy ... !!!

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q180/****y****chops/Tickets/DSCF1839.jpg

your link is broken because of the bad words

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

damn ... it was just my Ozzy ticket stub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

There used to be a lad, actually i think a pair of brothers, that sloped around mcgonagles looking for worse for wear wimmins for nefarious activities ( back then it was a snog and a feel through three jumpers)

well i'm back!.....no it wasn't me......really!.......

Was better with the stage to the side i thought, would have been class if beer was available, not that i had the money for it then...

There used to be a lad, actually i think a pair of brothers, that sloped around mcgonagles looking for worse for wear wimmins for nefarious activities ( back then it was a snog and a feel through three jumpers)
    Only three jumpers? You must have found the slappers then!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chris1966

Ah McGonagles, was a great spot after Bruxys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭dasdog

Quick search found this:

5yyl3t.jpg

Taken from http://www.xentrix.co.uk which says 1990.

I was at most of the gigs already mentioned. Can't remember being at Sacred Reich but I can remember it was one of the many tickets I had stuck on my wall. Anyone remember the Gang Green gig there? And sweet jebus look at the size of the place. A small disco venue and Ozzy rolls in to do a couple of gigs (and Def Leppard a while later).

• Advertisement

Werent Ozzy's two more dress rehearsals for a world tour?

Does anyone know were I can get a copy of Killer-watt ep "Death" on vinyl

Paul, I'd love a copy myself haven't got one, & I'm singing on it! Only 1,000 or so pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭dasdog

kbannon wrote: »
    Werent Ozzy's two more dress rehearsals for a world tour?

Yep, he was probably getting clean after a long binge and trying to get it together. Little quote on that Xentrix site says it all:

A U.K. tour with Sabbat gave Xentrix a chance to reach bigger audiences and make their mark on the developing U.K. thrash scene. “That tour was amazing” Macka recalls “it was the first time we got to play in Ireland and those gigs at McGonagles in Dublin were F**kin insane, the stage diving was mental……it was awesome”

I'd love to know how many times I leapt off that stage, mostly at Acid Reign gigs.

Acid Reign FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

great pic of the Xentrix show. n from their site :) i've loadsa stubs of shows such as that my sister went to in McGonagles, remarkable the acts that dive hosted! she kept the faith in one respect by continuing to go there but changed w/ the clientelle.. when it became System :o seems some were more willing to let go of the scene than the venue itself. testament to the place i suppose..

here's a link to 2 pics from the Fugazi show, of the crowd. was a little late for McGonagles i was more Dillingers / Pox n Pheasant / the Attic in '93. Rock Garden on saturday afternoons with Synapse (Stuart Halpin fronted em, Justin on guitar), Fifth Dominion, Cythrall (knobs) etc.. n SFX of course.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5375433&id=272423591202

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5375434&id=272423591202

btw theres a pic of Megadeth at the Olympic Ballroom in the gallery too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Paul Butler

Chris1966 wrote: »
    Paul, I'd love a copy myself haven't got one, & I'm singing on it! Only 1,000 or so pressed.

OK guys so now were looking for 2 copies!
    Also looking for DRIVESHAFT - SWEET SAVAGE - FREEWAY - SAIGON - SWEET REVENGE - TERMINUS 5 & MAMA'S BOYS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Chris1966 wrote: »

Singin indeed :p

I'm sure there's copies layin around in collections of people that don't even listen to albums anymore.....has to be....

can't find the site I got the Moral Crusade album from - will try and track it down tomorrow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

tommyhayes wrote: »
    Tom Hayes still alive and kicking and living in adelaide australia, After McGonagles and capital/nightsky radio i set up fibber Magee"s on parnel st, I left there after a year and moved to charlies bar on aungier st while also working for phantom fm at the same time then i moved to bruxelles on harry st and worked there untill mid 2006 (10 years),Late 2008 moved to sunny oz Metal not quite caught on here yet so hope to do something here. cheers and thanks for the memories.TH:cool: PS Im"e in the middle of setting up my blog site and will include all those great songs that stood out from those days including those great dublin bands.

Hey Tommy - great to hear things are going well for ya in Oz....
    will look forward to the Blog, miss bumpin into ya in Bruxies....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

OK guys so now were looking for 2 copies!
    Also looking for DRIVESHAFT - SWEET SAVAGE - FREEWAY - SAIGON - SWEET REVENGE - TERMINUS 5 & MAMA'S BOYS

I've defo got freeway somewheres, amazing vocals wtf was that song they made a video for?

.....aaargggh i'll be up half the night now!!!!

Yeah ozzy's gigs were rehersals. I remember him bringing out a 4 year old jack on his shoulders during the gig!
    Was mike inez first stint i think also....

Great to hear from tommy, be sure to post your blog site here and i'll catch up with ya then buddy!

• Advertisement

NIBBS wrote: »
    Singin indeed :p

I'm sure there's copies layin around in collections of people that don't even listen to albums anymore.....has to be....

can't find the site I got the Moral Crusade album from - will try and track it down tomorrow.....

Yes, singing ya big b******s!!!!!!!!
    Would love to get my hands on a copy. Bumped into the guy last week who did the artwork, still giving him stick 23 years later!

Advertisement