Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What kind of a Geographer are you?

• 20-03-2010 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭

So under the vast array of types out there? where do you think you fit and why?

Are you a Human Geographer? eg. Cultural, Economic, Gender, Industrial, Medical, Urban, Political, Recreational, Historical, Social.. etc

Physical Geographer? eg. Biogeography, Climatology, Ecology, Geomorphology, Hydrology, Meterorology.. etc

Or are You a mix of Human and Physical? eg. Agricultural, Environmental Studies, Planning, Resource Geography... etc

There are so many types out there and its a shame that the sterotype is still associative of just maps and geographical locations the sort of thing that many were taught in primary school! :rolleyes:

Under all that i would have to say that my work currently places me under the 'Mixed' category! Currently about to write my thesis on the policy aspects of c40 cities.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I'm not a geographer, my field is in economics. However, I am currently working on something which leans heavily on historical economics, and geography. In fact, it was my search for geography people that led me to request this forum! I was having issues with trying to create maps using the Koppen-Geiger Climate Classification system. In fact, if anyone knows how to use GIS, I reckon opening a help/clinic thread for this program might be a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Studying GIS at the moment so if I can help I will!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I suppose I'm physical geographer (coastal and fluvial geomorphology). Started off as a human geographer and town planner in UCD (BA GPEP), now in Trinity doing Environmental Science. Hopefully going to Queen's to do a PhD in physical geography (coastal sedimentation processes and geochronology).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I'm finishing off my degree in Geography and English in UCD. Hoping to do my masters in Geography next year. I'm interested in the Glaciation and Geopolitical side of the field so I'll probably do my thesis in one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 geography_nut

I'm doing single honours geography in maynooth and hoping to get into the MSc of Climate Change next year :) I guess i'd consider myself a physical geographer (even though there's not that many modules of physical geography in Maynooth :() because i love anything to do with studying climate or the world around me and i'm doing my thesis on tornadoes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'm a human geographer... and by geographer I mean student :P

I'm in my second year of my degree in Geography in NUIM and really enjoying it. Have to say although I do love the human aspect, I took the more amazing physical module last semester based on natural hazards and disasters. It almost swayed me on to the physical side of things... almost.

Currently taking only human geography modules (Urban and political) and enjoying them immensely.

Nice to meet you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Historical geographer/sociologist. I use climate, diet, census and agricultural output data along with other archival sources to study communal modes of production. I am currently examining long-term sustainibility outcomes of agrarian systems operating under communal governance.

Sociologically, I am interested in how commodity production impacts on the above, geographically I am interested in the process of openfield enclosure as a means of rationalising production.

Hi above Maynoothians! I miss smelly old rhetoric house :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Am, or was, a human/economic/rural/social/historic/agricultural geographer.

Was called everything from an old fashioned regional geographer (by a very highly evolved feminist geographer), a ploughs and cows man, and a 19th century empiricist by others, and a part time ethnographer (by my PhD extern). All were accurate, to a degree.

I wonder how many other disciplines are prone to as much naval gazing as geography? (ok, apart from philosophy ...).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Aidan1 wrote: »
    Am, or was, a human/economic/rural/social/historic/agricultural geographer.

Was called everything from an old fashioned regional geographer (by a very highly evolved feminist geographer), a ploughs and cows man, and a 19th century empiricist by others, and a part time ethnographer (by my PhD extern). All were accurate, to a degree.

I wonder how many other disciplines are prone to as much naval gazing as geography? (ok, apart from philosophy ...).

What was your thesis topic?

Did you take the 'regional geographer' comment as a compliment? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

I'm a physical geographer with a strong geology background. Did my degrees in Canada (BSc., MSc, and PhD) looking at arctic geomorphology and wetlands. Was a geology professor (mainly Quaternary Geology, geomorph, climate, and hydrology) in the USA for 8 years before moving to Ireland 2 years ago to become a college director. Not really active in the Irish geography scene but would like to be!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Did you take the 'regional geographer' comment as a compliment?

Very much, even though it wasn't accurate. Over 10 years later, and having read a lot more of Paul Krugman's work, were I to go back, that's where my prefered focus would lie. Regional/economic geography.

Thesis was essentially rural geography, with a whole lot of (unnecessary) complexity loaded on board.

Advertisement