Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike Park in Drury Street

Options
  • 08-10-2009 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

The City Council are launching a new initiative to provide extra cycle parking spaces in the city centre. They have removed 16 car parking slots from the ground floor of Drury Street Car Park and replaced them with 200 bike spaces.

The facility is free to use for cyclists and should be a safe and dry place for cyclists to park their bikes. Although the security of the bikes isn't guaranteed the bikes are protected by CCTV and the bikes are parked about 20 feet from the security guard's kiosk.

I've mentioned this in passing in other posts but I thought it deserved it's own thread so that people find out about the facility.

In addition the City Council is asking for your views on where additional bike stands should be installed around the city. There is a new webpage to allow the public to identify where stands should go, or people can vote for other suggestions.

Andrew Montague
    Chair of Dublin City Council's Transport Committee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

It's good to know it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fixieboy

Progressive thinking from Dublin City Council - I like the idea a lot. Congrats

Have something Northside - perhaps in Clerys carpark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 getmoving

Great stuff - dry and safer bike parking :)

Also, well done to the city council on the bike scheme. Great extra option for getting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Yep gret idea, great location AND its FREE! Just hope cyclists actually use it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Thanks Andrew -- and you were great on the news yesterday.

As regards new bike park locations, something really needs done about Connolly Station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭AMontague

fixieboy wrote: »
    Have something Northside - perhaps in Clerys carpark?

If things go well with this bike park, we'll be looking to do something similar on northside.

BeerNut wrote: »
    As regards new bike park locations, something really needs done about Connolly Station.

The last time I parked in Connolly (which was about two years ago admittedly) there was a dedicated bike park at the back of the station. Is that still there? Is the capacity too low? Does it need better signage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Good idea, Andrew. A question for you, though...

Even if security can't be guaranteed, can you at least reassure us that in the event of a theft any relevant CCTV footage will be made available to Gardai or, indeed, the owner of a stolen bike?

I believe it hasn't always been so in the case of certain private developments (e.g. apartment complexes) in the past.

Good idea, Andrew. A question for you, though...

Even if security can't be guaranteed, can you at least reassure us that in the event of a theft any relevant CCTV footage will be made available to Gardai or, indeed, the owner of a stolen bike?

I believe it hasn't always been so in the case of certain private developments (e.g. apartment complexes) in the past.

Good question. I'll see what I can find out.

Yes, it's still there. But it doesn't need better signage so much as signage!

Also: how is it possible to get access to the lockers there? And which other stations have such facilities? A web page/site with that info would be useful to cyclists.
    AMontague wrote: »
    The last time I parked in Connolly (which was about two years ago admittedly) there was a dedicated bike park at the back of the station. Is that still there? Is the capacity too low? Does it need better signage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Yeah, saw that the other day, haven't used it yet but it looks great.

Thanks Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nice consultation.

Little and lots would be my good, since cycling is about convenience and freedom.

A little bit of space in every town centre carpark would be great, since they tend to be located near places where you would need to stop for a while (e.g. shopping centres, restaurants).

Good luck organising/planning this, can't be easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Lumen wrote: »
    Nice consultation.

Little and lots would be my good, since cycling is about convenience and freedom.

Yes, important not to loose one of the major advantgaes of cycling as in it's door to door nature.

Last thing we want is something like the cycle lane facilities where the authorities (or late night drunks) persecute bikes locked in other locations because "They're not in the designated areas!"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yes, it's still there. But it doesn't need better signage so much as signage!
    Maybe I'm thinking of a different one, but the one I saw recently, at the top of the ramp above the carpark, was a single row of sheds which was completely full, and about 80% of it was bikes that appeared not to have been moved in years. Connolly needs a facility like Heuston. Does it have one I've never noticed?

There won't be a problem passing the footage to the Gardaí. There may, however, be a problem passing the footage to the owner.

Bang goes my idea for a website...

Just joking. Thanks for getting back to me.
    There won't be a problem passing the footage to the Gardaí. There may, however, be a problem passing the footage to the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Andrew, may I suggest that bike parking, like the one thats near Pearse St Garda Station, be replicated wherever possible in front of, or close by, to other Garda Stations? When the 'plaza' in front of Store St was redeveloped a couple of years back, ALL the bike parks were removed, which was a nightmare, as that part of town can be a bit touch and go with leaving a bike for a few hours at night.

On the path next to the Bridewell, in front of FitzGibbon St, etc would be great. But Store St would be a great start.
    I think people generally feel safer when locking a bike in view of a Garda Station because there are generally cops in the area, coming in and out, double parking their cars on the street :D, etc.

I'd also recommend doubling, tripling even, the current capacity in the centre of O'Connell Street - because a lot of parks were removed from the junction of Abbey Street when the Luas works were put down, and also when the redevelopment of the street happened, many of the parks in the north end of the street near the Savoy also vanished, in addition to the ones near the O'Connell monument. What you have instead at the moment is people locking their bikes onto young trees, which I'm sure is detrimental to them.

The parks up at the Luas stop on Stephens Green also need to be doubled, tripled, maybe even quadrupled - unless of course, Connex are OK with the current situation of people locking their bikes onto the platform fencing. But I dont like to think of the people there one day coming back and having had their bikes removed.

As someone mentioned already, places like Connolly, and Heuston, Pearse Stations can never have enough. Cyclists "green the last mile" and it should be encouraged with connections to other forms of public commuter transport.

Of course, this is slightly off topic, but seeing as how we're on wishlists, I swear to god I would campaign for you to the ends of the earth if you were somehow able to pull some strings at the national level to change Iarnroid Eireann's policies for bikes on trains (again, greening the last mile, and also for tourism purposes - at the moment you cant even bring a bike down to Rosslare on the train because it doesnt have a guard's carriage, despite the fact the train can be half empty most of the time, most people either fly to france these days, or else those that go to rosslare are getting the ferry with a car, they dont need the train).

Most european and even north american urban centres have a policy of 'not during rush hour, but otherwise ok' for bikes on trains, cf. San Francisco, Chicago, Toronto. It drives me spare when getting the train into town in the middle of the day and I have to leave my bike behind, even though there's acres of free space on the train.

And,
    and,
    and...

OK I'll stop and leave it at that.
    For the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Exclusive images of DCC plans!

70054-bike-parking-garage-amsterdam-netherlands.jpg

43203-Amsterdam-Bike-Parking-Lot-4.jpg

amsterdam_bikeparking3.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

In addition the City Council is asking for your views on where additional bike stands should be installed around the city. There is a new webpage to allow the public to identify where stands should go, or people can vote for other suggestions.

I see the value of asking people, but at the same time, it should be noted a recommended of a report on cycling for the city council in 2006 said:

"A cycle parking strategy should be drawn up to give advice on the best forms of parking for the benefit of both the authority and developers, schools etc and pro-active programme of cycle parking provision should be prepared that ensures that the levels of use of existing stands are monitored and additional ones provided on a proactive basis without waiting for the public to request them".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Well seen as there are only 79 shopping days to Christmas and this has turned into Santa's List for Dublin Cyclists, I'll throw one in the pot......

Would there be any possibility of doing something at the Markievicz Centre regarding bike parking. If secure bike parking could be added people who don't have access to showers could park up there and use the facilities (for a fee of course).

Other than the initiative on parking spots and the new bike park are practical steps in the right direction - well done to the city council and fair play to you for being willing to engage with cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

So six months on, has anyone used the bike park much? I'm in town all day Monday and Tuesday, and was considering locking my bike up here. Normally I'd only ever leave it at home or in office - have there been any horror stories emanating from Drury Street yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I haven't had the need to but I'm surprised to see just metres from the car park a whole load of bikes locked to various posts and poles, some poorly, just outside St. Stephens Green centre. I tend to use that car park when in the car anyway and there's less bikes in there than there is around the corner.

Not sure if this is widely known about yet, don't think I've seen mention of it anywhere else bar here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Jip wrote: »
    Not sure if this is widely known about yet, don't think I've seen mention of it anywhere else bar here.

A few signposts telling people where it is wouldn't go amiss. Ditto for signs pointing to the nearest DB stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I've used it several times. It's very good.

One on the northside (say jervis street?) would be very welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭The_Claw

I keep forgetting to use it - in fact I'm one of the mugs who locks his bike a few metres from the entrances, even though a friend of mine used to work on a music shop on Drury Street and described the junkies hacking away at the bike locks every day. Will try to remember bike park next time, it's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Grimpeur

Anytime I'm in town I use either Drury Street or the underground car park in Smithfield.
    I think the Smithfield facility has been available to bikes for a lot longer than Drury St. but haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on here.

Other than that I just use Dublin Bikes.

All in all makes my trips into the city a lot less stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I actually used it for the first time last night. Was a little wary at first as it's out of view so you're relying on the security in the place completely but the bike was there when I got back and I'll use it again.

It could seriously do with better signposting though. I went into the other car park on Drury St first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

humbert wrote: »
    It could seriously do with better signposting though. I went into the other car park on Drury St first.

So did I. I just cycled down the ramp to take a quick peek since I was passing, but a disapproving employee of the car park stopped me at the bottom and told me I was probably looking for the other car park. I was in a bit of a hurry and was only curious, not actually parking, so I continued on to my next destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Use it 3 nights a week. Very convenient for me and I have seen usage vary between days. Shame it's not used more.

Also a shame that this is a regular sight...

4419872200_c1d33ca42d.jpg

I've been tweeting images like this a few times, and it's apparently been highlighted to the cycling officer in Dublin... but it's still a bit ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Why is it assumed in Ireland that security can't be guaranteed for things? Can you not just charge 1 euro or so for the day to each user and then hire a security guard, use a private firm if cost is an issue? Even if the Corporation have to pay some money towards it so what, one secure parking lot on the North and South central area won't cost huge money.
    I just don't get it sometimes...

Advertisement