Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remaining very cold - Bitterly cold Easterly winds later - Snow at times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

The sun is shining here in Limerick, it is a beautiful morning :)

darkman2 wrote: »
    18z really shows the potential of what is ahead of us later next week with gale force Easterly winds and blizzards in the South of the country.

Rtavn1382.png

Just to note - those who long for summer - those high temperatures as always at this time of year have recently become visible over Northern Africa on the European charts. Won't be long before the heat starts making inroads to the Continent. Will be a long time yet before it gets here!
    Ha doesn't look so good now as an 06z image does it.dry dull and cool.
    T'will be different again at 4pm.

I'm watching country tracks...
    There is every possibility that the singular most severe cold snap of this Winter is about to occur.
    Theres also every possibility that it won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Laura once again the bearer of bad news,no blizzard approaching.:D

I wonder how much it will change from her forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

quelle surprise;) it looks good for england next Friday according to her forecast. anyway there was 3 hours of heavy wet snow here this morning which left a nice dusting before the sun got to work on it.

redsunset wrote: »
    Laura once again the bearer of bad news,no blizzard approaching.:D

I wonder how much it will change from her forecast
    It could change a lot as could dm2's.

I'm not a fan of fleeting mickey mouse snow,thats gone when the sun comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just seen John Eagleton's 'Farming Forecast' there on RTE1. Not much sign of snow, though becoming colder towards the end of the week once again with east winds setting in was his synopsis.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

May as well keep up the Ante : 06Z run chart

106428.png

Please take this chart with a pinch of salt ! and hopefully you will need some :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Rather than needing salt I would prefer to be needing less layers of clothing.....

An easterly means snow showers eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

living in cork city, i see a large cloud to the north of the city, and it looks like a lot of hail falling from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The connemara mountains have a beautifull covering of snow on them. Also the mountains behind castlebar are very snow capped!

• Advertisement

2 gfs runs in a row now that ditch a weekend easterly and leave us under a cloudy boring high

Rtavn1442.png

Last nights ecm seems to be a slack northerly polar maratime with more mickey mouse wintry boring showers...unless you live on a mountain :)

Will the UKMO also ditch the easterly? not according to country tracks earlier but then they had 7c maxes in Belfast in that Easterly.

Theres 2 words for that.
    Mickey Mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

2 Weekends in a row now with the rte farming forecast being redundant by that evening. It looks quite Springlike to me from Thursday with temps possibly hitting double figures. The eagle said it would be much colder next wkd than this one - yes going by out of date, yesterday charts!!

ECM tonight, while still showing a build of pressure to the north, delays it and to be honest, it is no closer to us than this time yesterday, and when it does arrive, we just remain in the usual slack, tiresome area of it, which is typical of the pattern this winter. Sick of this now. Roll on summer for Christ sake and let us put this pointless winter to death, it has gone on long enough! :pac:

Pesky shortwaves...

Wow DE relax man,there's still nothing wrong with the main models still progressing well although may not be the excellent snow storm originally thought,you just want an atlantic hurricane battering your side of the world:D

Wow DE relax man,there's still nothing wrong with the main models still progressing well although may not be the excellent snow storm originally thought,you just want an atlantic hurricane battering your side of the world:D

Damn right I do..;):D

Just looking at the long range yr.no forecast for my area, absolutely no change at all forecast:

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Galway/Tuam/detailed_long.html

Same as last week, the week before and a month before. A change in positioning of lows and highs in and around Ireland seems to make little difference to the actual weather anymore.

well, it seems clear there is not going to be a snowstorm to send this winter out with a bang rather than a whimper. so i agree with paddy1 but for different reasons - as we might as well have a storm if we are just going to get cool and dry weather rather than a proper cold and snowy setup

Ah lads come on whats wrong with cold and dry too, its still part of the weather,DE pack your bags and move to a monsoon country,like india and Nacho,all us snow lover may shift north east:D

There now everyones happy:)

2 Weekends in a row now with the rte farming forecast being redundant by that evening. It looks quite Springlike to me from Thursday with temps possibly hitting double figures. The eagle said it would be much colder next wkd than this one - yes going by out of date, yesterday charts!!
    In fairness,country tracks made the same call.
    Can I call you as wrong if we do get an Easterly at the weekend and it's colder than 7c?
    You've been posting long enough both here and in NW to know or at least you should know that it's difficult to nail weather 7 days ahead.
    It's 10 times more difficult in the current unusual pattern.

Simply put...WE don't know how a final judgement is made on a bbc or RTE MET forecast presentation.
    I can hazzard what I think is a pretty good guess though,they are interpreting and mixing the models and their vast experience to come up with a blend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

ECM tonight, while still showing a build of pressure to the north, delays it and to be honest, it is no closer to us than this time yesterday, and when it does arrive, we just remain in the usual slack, tiresome area of it, which is typical of the pattern this winter. Sick of this now. Roll on summer for Christ sake and let us put this pointless winter to death, it has gone on long enough! :pac:

Pesky shortwaves...

We have just had the coldest ,most severe Winter for decades yet I fully agree.
    It's been wierd, for some reason we mainly missed out on snow and in fact have seen more snow in very mild Winters.
    Which does leave me wonder, just what exactly do we have to do to get snow in this country:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

May as well keep up the Ante : 06Z run chart

106428.png

Please take this chart with a pinch of salt ! and hopefully you will need some :

Well I did not expect things to change so much in two bloody runs :mad:

106471.png

Ah lads come on whats wrong with cold and dry too, its still part of the weather,DE pack your bags and move to a monsoon country,like india and Nacho,all us snow lover may shift north east:D

There now everyones happy:)

I'm not.

Cold and dry is fine, as long as it is from an easterly, at least then it will be dry, not this inactive, but yet damp all the same, bollix. The weather over the last few weeks was, and continues to be, as bland as it could possibly be. It is cold, but not in a notable, interesting way. Temps are rising to average values by day, slowly but surely. Ireland by nature has a temperate, but tempestuous climate and I'll not move to India to experience lively weather :pac:, when I can, by normal standards, get it in my own country.

Of course, non-descript weather is quite common in Ireland, but the duration of this current spell certainly is out of the norm, by a long shot. And with no end in site, I will complain as long as it continues, because it is my right :D:D:D

I'm not.

Cold and dry is fine, as long as it is from an easterly, at least then it will be dry, not this inactive, but yet damp all the same, bollix. The weather over the last few weeks was, and continues to be, as bland as it could possibly be. It is cold, but not in a notable, interesting way. Temps are rising to average values by day, slowly but surely. Ireland by nature has a temperate, but tempestuous climate and I'll not move to India to experience lively weather :pac:, when I can, by normal standards, get it in my own country.

Of course, non-descript weather is quite common in Ireland, but the duration of this current spell certainly is out of the norm, by a long shot. And with no end in site, I will complain as long as it continues, because it is my right :D:D:D

well, it's understandable that you would feel a sense of an entitlement to complain given you live in the ninth circle of hell that is tuam :D:D

paddy1, cold and dry is not fine. you are very wrong about that. weather like that is bland and a waste, just as this current weather is, after a while .a bitter easterly winds that pushes snow from east to west or a potent northerly that allows a polar low or two to form is what we should be looking for;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snow here in the hills of Donegal tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Sheesh, pair of whiners yea are!!!

I condem Galway and Mayo to have a winter like 2006/7 next year. No snow and hardly a frost in sight.

There ya go, put that in yer pipe and smoke it! :D:D:D

-4.8c here as i walk out the door for work! we all sound like owenc now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Well I have to say that was an entertaining winter, made all the better for the expert opinion (and also some ramping by some, you know who you are!;)) provided in this forum.

Clear skies and sunny in Dublin, cold start as predicted but thats about it.

the full moon behind the snow capped conemmara mountains was stunning this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The BBC Monthly outlook is below...cold for next 2 weeks but doubt most of us will see any snow. Happily I'm going skiing in 3 weeks in Val D'Isere (v high) so I'm going to see snow one way or another!

Summary

March comes in like a lamb. A winter lamb.

Climatologically speaking, March, April and May will be spring. Weather-wise the first week brings back the cold and thoughts of snow. This cold spell lasts until the end of March when Atlantic weather looks like taking over; rain more likely than snow and temperatures up to average.
    Monday 1 March 2010 to Sunday 7 March 2010
    Getting colder again with a little snow possible

At the start of the week, calm, foggy and frosty weather abound. Nights are still longer than days so Highland frosts, where snow still lies could be severe.
    With spring tides, North Sea and English Channel estuaries have a small risk of flooding as there is a lot of ground water and snowmelt running downstream against and incoming tide. The skies remain largely dry though so the ground will become less sodden.
    From Wednesday until Friday, a low pressure runs down the western side of the UK bringing rain and some hill snow. It is followed by a cold ridge of high pressure which gives a return to continental easterlies. Anywhere could see a little snow. Daytime temperatures will likely be sub-average with windchill.

Monday 8 March 2010 to Sunday 14 March 2010
    Cold and settled.

The indications are that pressure remains relatively high within cold air. With an easterly breeze across the North Sea, snow showers for eastern Britain are possible. Settling is less likely except in the hills.
    Daytime and night time temperatures are likely to be below average. The hardest frosts are still likely in Scotland as the nagging wind will keep England in low single figures Celsius.

Monday 15 March 2010 to Sunday 28 March 2010
    Back to plant friendly conditions.

From anticyclonic to cyclonic. That suggests a swing to westerly winds, average or above temperatures and spells of rain rather than snow.
    The forecast model concentrates the rain in southern Britain with Scotland maybe enjoying a drier than average fortnight.

• Advertisement

Beautifull spring like day today.
    Theres still snow drifts in the ditches on the hills behind me and I can see lugnaquilla white from top to bottom looking like an irish mount blanc :)

Regarding that monthly summary,it's meant to be vague.
    A little snow could mean a lot for eastern fringes of the UK but a little in overall uk terms.
    It could also imply subject to the position of the high thta the same thing happens in Eastern Ireland.
    Glasnevin were still hinting at this at 0757am this morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement