Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chile suffers 8.8 earthquake!

Options
  • 27-02-2010 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭

63 times stronger than Japan's, according to the USGS, and a tsunami warning comes as a matter of course. It'll be hours before the extent of damage and casualties becomes known. I fear it'll be very bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

'God hates Chile' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Thats where the Lizard aliens have their base. Also very sad news for Humans and Lizoids alike

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The USGS page has more details and gets updated as more come in. They have a system called PAGER which gives estimates of the "population exposure": the level of shaking experienced by different numbers of people. The numbers suggest that 3 million people felt a Severe earthquake and there will be major structural damage.

Initial reports seem to suggest that they are better-prepared for this than e.g. China or Haiti. It's an area which has had 13 M7.0 or greater earthquakes since 1970, and was where the M9.5 earthquake of 1960 happened - the largest earthquake recorded by instruments so far.

PS: Hawaii is under a Tsunami Warning at this time: they have something like 10 hours advance notice. The whole Pacific Ocean is at risk, basically.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Tsunami Warning to 57 nations.

Tsusami - Hitting Hawaii from national geographic

Surfer surfs tsusami

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

Quick.. put a song in the charts about how much the people of Chile are hurting at the moment. Everybody Hurts, Chile, get over it.

rich1874 wrote: »
    Quick.. put a song in the charts about how much the people of Chile are hurting at the moment. Everybody Hurts, Chile, get over it.

It is amongst the ten strongest eartquakes in the last 100 years, topping 8.8 it is almost 6th most powerful recorded in the last century.

Get over it? The tsusami hasn't even hit yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

pirelli wrote: »
    Tsusami - Hitting Hawaii from national geographic

Surfer surfs tsusami

Could you post any more crap for me to waste my time on please?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

53 nations put on tsunami warning.

Well, the tsunami we're looking at today will have nothing like the magnitude shown in those videos, or even that of December 26 2004. The sea level rise is measured in a few feet, but it's not a big "breaker" like you normally see on a shore. The level rises and stays up for several minutes, and huge volumes of water flood land near the shore, since it has pressure behind it. This is what the NOAA says in their latest warning:
    A Tsunami is a series of long ocean waves. Each individual wave crest can last 5 to 15 minutes or more and extensively flood coastal areas. The danger can continue for many hours after the initial wave as subsequent waves arrive. Tsunami wave heights cannot be predicted and the first wave may not be the largest. Tsunami waves efficiently wrap around islands. All shores are at risk no matter which direction they face. The trough of a Tsunami wave may temporarily expose the seafloor but the area will quickly flood again. Extremely strong and unusual nearshore currents can accompany a Tsunami. Debris picked up and carried by a Tsunami amplifies its destructive power. Simultaneous high tides or high surf can significantly increase the Tsunami hazard.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

It is gods way of punishing them for not believing in the love and compassion of Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

pirelli wrote: »
    It is amongst the ten strongest eartquakes in the last 100 years, topping 8.8 it is almost 6th most powerful recorded in the last century.

Get over it? The tsusami hasn't even hit yet.

Hmmmm, i'm not sure you detected the sarcasm in my post, I was actually having a dig at that appauling charity single that thinks it can sum up the feelings of the people of Haiti with the word 'Hurt'. But i'm sure you got that.

galwayrush wrote: »
    'God hates Chile' :(
    Caoimhín wrote: »
    It is gods way of punishing them for not believing in the love and compassion of Jesus Christ.
    It's still early morning in Kansas, they haven't updated the website yet. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Caoimhín wrote: »

I suppose you should tell them to build an ark next time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

ttvu725245-06.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Zillah wrote: »
    ttvu725245-06.jpg
    Interesting, when did the earthquake hit?

All the relevant info is listed here: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/messages/pacific/2010/pacific.2010.02.27.104329.txt

It has a full list of places that are likely to be hit by some sort of tsunami and the estimated time of arrival (the times are listed as zulu time, which I'm pretty sure is GMT -1). Easter Island is due to be hit a little over fifteen minutes from this post. Evacuation of the five thousand or so people who live there began hours ago. However big the wave is there will give us an idea of how big it is likely to be everywhere else.

So far the highest confirmed wave was 2.4 meters which can be dangerous but by no means a disaster.

EDIT:
    BBC has photos
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8540473.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Call me crazy but is this the start of the end of the earth!!!! 2012 and all that jazz.

Off the coast of chile there has been over 20 earthquakes since the 8.8 earthquake 6 hours ago.

on the same plate "ish" along California theres been 7 and another few in alaska. at the other side of the plate in japan there has been anoter few earthquakes. This isnt normal earthquake activity.

the entire shelf up the americas coast is bumping and grinding....If i was one to think the world was flat , id say the americas is about to fall off the edge.

Why arent the news stations reporting this?

iknorr wrote: »
    Call me crazy but is this the start of the end of the earth!!!! 2012 and all that jazz.

Ok, you're crazy.
    This isnt normal earthquake activity.

Yes it is. Earthquakes always come in groups. They're called "after shocks".
    Why arent the news stations reporting this?

They are. They all are. You didn't check a single one before you posted did you?

EDIT: First reports from Easter Island say 1.1 foot wave. How exciting. I'm going to bed.

"Zulu" time is GMT, which is currently the same as GMT; so the earthquake struck at 06:34 GMT (Irish time), or 03:34 Chile time.

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    "Zulu" time is GMT, which is currently the same as GMT; so the earthquake struck at 06:34 GMT (Irish time), or 0:34 Chile time (GMT-6).

Yes but there's an hour difference between actual GMT and the listed Zulu, so I'm presuming it's something to do with daylight savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Ok, you're crazy.

Yes it is. Earthquakes always come in groups. They're called "after shocks".

They are. They all are. You didn't check a single one before you posted did you?

EDIT: First reports from Easter Island say 1.1 foot wave. How exciting. I'm going to bed.

2.3 meters confirmed in chile earlier

yes i have checked...not one is reporting 20 "aftershocks"

ur saying over 20 aftershocks of magnitude up to 6.9 is normal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i was in Concepcion this time last year, I wonder if my friends are dead...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

rich1874 wrote: »

Red-hot Chile Paupers?

2.3 meters confirmed in chile earlier

Yes thanks I mentioned that earlier.
    yes i have checked...not one is reporting 20 "aftershocks"

They're not making a big deal of it because it isn't a big deal. The aftershock sequence can go on for years. There were over four thousand aftershocks above 4.0 in the two years after the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake.

Basically I'm saying it would be nice if you tried to google a couple of key words before you start screaming about doom and gloom in your adorable txt tlk.

I guess it is if it happened.

Yes but there's an hour difference between actual GMT and the listed Zulu, so I'm presuming it's something to do with daylight savings.
    No, it really is this simple: GMT is Zulu or UTC for "casual use" (where fractions of a second don't matter). It (almost) never changes, which is why it's used by the military and other organizations such as the NOAA in this case. It doesn't change when Daylight Savings Time (BST = GMT +1) is in effect in the UK or Ireland, which currently isn't the case anyway. Please read this for a fuller explanation.

Daylight Savings Time is currently in effect in Chile, which is why their local time is UTC-3 rather than UTC-4. (It's Summer in the Southern Hemisphere, remember.)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

God Hates Hawaii for the Obama thing. rabble

• Registered Users Posts: 30,087 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Here live Hawaii video/tv watching for waves, click on kohn feed

http://edition.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream1

estimated time of arrival 21:05 GMT

• Advertisement

Image of the NOAA's predicted tsunami wave heights: http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/chile/chileem.jpg

Note how there are wave height "hot spots" near e.g. the coast of New Zealand - probably due to the shallow sea floor.

Advertisement