Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humanitas Tournament.

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,738 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Ripley in the cargo loader suit. 0-squishy in 0.5 seconds for Indy:pac:

Ripley

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

3-3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Indy.

1) Knowledge is power
    2) My fave black rabbit share his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Right, some great arguments going around and LZ finally came up with the one aspect I was too lazy to go and research...

Yes, Ripley has beaten much tougher bad guys but she only does so usually as a survivor, running from encounter to encounter for most of it and then usually bringin' the heat near the end. Um, what was my point? Eh, yeah, she's not very good at the offensive game and when she's on defense she's going up against formidable bad guys who aren't very smart.

I reckon Indy has the smarts to thwart Ripley's traps and he has fighting skills that'll take her down to China town. Whip will disarm her, pistol will whip her. Pow pow pow.

INDY WINNER

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm gonna vote with Ripley based on the fact that she can tangle with those freakish aliens. The toughest thing Indy has ever beaten was cammp Nazis.

I can imagine it now, Ripley goes to shoot Indy with the rifle, only for Indy to remove it from her hands with his whip, noticing too late the grenade at his feet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

5-4 Indy

Professor Jones takes it. Final Battle of Round 1 to come.

BATTLE 16

Lara Croft
    Look Here
    300px-LaraLegend.jpg

VS

Jack Bauer
    Look Here
    200px-Jack_Bauer.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Lara Croft, coz all she has to do is give him the eye, and Bauer will unload his weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

As much as I hate to say it I think Jacky B should win this one.

Lara as gorgeous and all as she is, her adventures are a little timid for my liking. Couple of bad guys and some special artefacts are about the limits of her meanderings.

Jack on the other hand (who I cannot stand btw) has;

1) Defused a bomb. (If I remember correctly.)
    2) Had his daughter kidnapped.
    3) Fought a heroin addiction.
    4) Been poisoned.
    And yet he lives to fight another day.

Jack B to win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Yeah, I'd go along with that, Lara's foes are quite tame in comparison to Bauer's. Plus, I'm not sure how Lara would handle all the stuff Jack has like years of torture, constantly losing loved ones and even your own country trying to fcuk you over after all the great service you've given to them. Definitely Jack Bauer FTW.

From what I've seen of 24, Jack relies heavily on CTU to win the day.
    Lara generally seems to get things done herself.

Lara Croft

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Would echo Koth's comments. Lara is a go it alone girl who gets things done, largely without help.

Lara

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Jack Bauer is far too hardcore for Lara Croft.

She'd be swimming around and then BAM! Jack is waterboarding her before she knows what's happening.

3-3

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd go along with that, Lara's foes are quite tame in comparison to Bauer's.

Lara Croft has fought, dinosaurs, aliens, monsters, demons, agents at area 51 etc. etc. etc. and come out on top.
    Bauer's escapades against 'durka durka' style terrorists pale in comparison.

Lara Croft to cartwheel circles around the rapidly aeging Bauer while blasting him witha combination of uzi and greanade launcher fire (yes, she can do this).

Lara, judging by my limited knowledge of her (never got into the early games, couldn't be bothered now... though I may try.) has got acrobatic skills to pay the bills, is quite skilled with a variety of weapons and is a stonewall fox.

I reckon Bauer will be a bit "damn, you so hot!" and a lot "damn I'm outskilled". Bauer may have gotten through a lot of rough times, but we aint talkin' rough times here boys, we're talkig duel handguns and thighs that'll snap you in two! Pew pew pew!

Plus Lara is a lone wolf and that's what all of this magic is about.

Lara to win.

5-3 Lara

Lara takes it, and will be back in Round 2. Please stay tuned for our intermission match

INTERMISSION*

Squirrel Girl
    Look here
    squirrelgirl.jpg

VS

Cyberwolf77(Latverian Royal Guard captain)
    wolfman_cov17_variant.jpg
    (Superhuman strength, accelerated healing, razor-sharp claws,cybernetic joint replacements, subdermal armor plating over vital organs,machinegun hidden in left knee, advanced hand to hand abilities.)

Squirrel Girl has decided to increase her standing in the Marvel Universe by duplicating alone one of her greatest victories. She has traveled to Latveria to challenge Doctor Doom once more. Unfortunately for her the doctor is out. His guard captain however, is available.

*This fight is of course not really part of the tournament. Same rules apply though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

Although S-girl would attempt to call her little squirrely friends I'm sure Wolf has all entrances blocked with non-gnawable seals. This was one of Dooms problems in his defeat ("confound these wretched rodents!")
    Werewolves possess super human strength - can't imagine Squirrel girl would be stronger, even if she's a mutant. She has Teeth for chewing- Wolf has fangs for ripping. She has claws and those knuckle spikes, Wolf has some pretty good sized claws of his own, plus he's a cyber Wolf and has, in many places, an under-lining of metal for protection. He might get slashed a bit, but nothing vital pierced.
    Only sure way to bring a werewolf down is the silver bullet deal and Squirrel girl doesn't favor guns. So it sort of comes down to who is the most vicious. Yes I do believe he just waits for her to lite somewhere,and rips her smiling little head off. Wolf avenges Doom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Er, Cyber FTW, because this looks like too much of a mismatch. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Do not undervalue the power of cuteness...the squirrels('girl) FTW.

(OMG omg omg...she is my fave super hero from now on! >_<''')
    Scusa Wolfie!

Squirrel-girl arrives at the castle, and tries to sneak through the castle to sneak-attack cyberwolf. The defenses activate and she is trapped in a room.

cyberwolf then tries to use the gas defenses to flood the room. But the squirrels have eaten through the electronics, so the 'kill by gas' button isn't working. At the same time, squirrel-girl manages to activate the release for the doors and escapes the room.

She eventually makes her way to the control-room. while looking around the room, cyberwolf pounces and knocks her out. He then put her into a large bag, which he connects the opening of said bag to the exhaust of the doom-mobile. Turns on the engine and kills her humanely. (Thank you google for the suggestion of killing a squirrel:D)

cyberwolf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Squirrel Girl has beaten Doom before and I think Galactus too.

The wolf stands no chance.

3-2 cyberwolf

Cyberwolf looks like the easy victor here, but looks are oft deceiving.
    Squirrel Girl has many powers, most importantly hazelnut flavoured lips. The lip flavouring has little bearing on this match, it's just very important.

Squirrel Girl can out maneuver (I hate spelling that word and I feel firefox dictionary has once again let me down) Cyberwolf using her jumping and other squirrel like abilities. She has enhanced strength and other attributes, but I reckon Cyber may have her in the strength department. His claws look more formidable than hers but she can still deliver a sting.

If she called upon the squirrels I think Cyberwolf would just eat them.

But Squirrel Girl wins. Why, when it seems all is stacked up against her? Well, tournie tricksters, let me tell you.

It is well known that a werewolf's strengths and skills are of a natural sort, which is why metals such as silver can prove so fatal to their general workings. By cybering himself up Cyberwolf may have increased certain skills and gained some amounts of armour, but he has ultimately interrupted the natural skills that make him a deadly predator. Think of Wolverine when he had the adamantium stripped from him... they discovered it was holding back his natural abilities for so long, and the effect would be even worse with a werewolf such as Cyberwolf. So I think in this regard we shouldn't heap too much praise on Cyber's skills. If it was animal on animal I'd have given squirrelzy less chance, but in his diminished capacity I think wolfie is but another Doom waiting to happen.

The second point not yet mentioned is the Lesser Spotted Greater Latverian Sabre Squirrel, a prehistoric ancestor of the modern squirrel, who often stands (on it's hind feet) up to 5foot tall. They're dark of colour with developed claws, large serrated teeth and a jaw strength that can crack skulls. While off-shoots became smaller and adapted to tree-living and nut munching in order to survive attacks from predators, the LSGLSS grew larger, stronger and faster and is now quite happy leaping from a log and taking out a lone wolf that has strayed away from the pack.
    Squirrel Girl will summon the LSGLSS to deal major damage to Cyberwolf while the more regular squirrels distract and confuse Wolfie. Squirrel girl will ultimately dash his brains out with her knuckle spikes and super squirrel strength.

If for some bizarre reason Cyberwolf survives.... Squirrel will just hide high, wait for him to change into a more human form and then give him the thrashing of his life.

+1 Squirrel Girl!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Cyberwolf.

Squirrel girl has good press. Thats all.

She's never really defeated anyone, it was a doom bot, I was in a different country and someone else was in my armour and I was sick and distracted andyway.

4-3 cyberwolf

• Advertisement

After a long and vicious battle the wolf emerges carrying his fallen foe's body to the castle parapet. Heaving the body over the side of the castle he yells,"Doom is avenged!!"
    -End intermission-
    HERE COMES ROUND 2

Advertisement