Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who have played both soccer and gaelic

Options
  • 13-12-2009 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

simultaneously.

Jason Sherlock, Dublin amd Shamrock Rovers
    Stephen Cluxton was in one of the championship managers. think he might have been with pat's
    Michael(MEHALL) slimmermann sligo under21 goalkeeper played for sligo rovers last season against bohs

anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭shockframe

i think colm mccullagh tyrone played both at the same time.
    peter whitnell (down) although i could be wrong on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Anthony Tohill had a trial at Man United.

Dave Barry starred for Cork City and Cork footballers for yers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Brendan Devenney played with Finn Harps, as did a few Donegal players over the years, names not coming to me now though. Graham Geraghty had trials at Arsenal, and a good few played both underage before having to choose, players like Cillian Sheridan at Celtic.

Also a good lot who played GAA and rugby, players like Shane Horgan, Tommy Bowe and Tomas O'Leary to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alkev

kevin moran man. u and dubs . Two all irelands and Fa cups

simultaneously.

Jason Sherlock, Dublin amd Shamrock Rovers
    Stephen Cluxton was in one of the championship managers. think he might have been with pat's
    Michael(MEHALL) slimmermann sligo under21 goalkeeper played for sligo rovers last season against bohs

anyone else?

if you really think about it it must be about half the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

PJ Banville

Waterford Utd & Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

declan bonner at donegal and finn harps.
    dessie barry with longford and longford town

almost a thing of the past now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

well im more looking at the likes of michael slimmermann who played in an under-21 final in the same season he played with sligo rovers. im not just talking about any randomer who just happened to play both sports. for the purpose of this thread lets say people who have played at the top level in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

There was a young lad there last year or the year before playing half forward for Fermanagh and playing with Glentoran at the same time... can't remember his name but read that in the paper some time

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

paul galvin spent some time with cork city i think. mike macarthy played soccer alot this year before rejoining the squad.

• Advertisement

mike macarthy played soccer alot this year before rejoining the squad.

is that the reason he solo'd then headed the ball then solo'd against dublin this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Ian_K wrote: »
    There was a young lad there last year or the year before playing half forward for Fermanagh and playing with Glentoran at the same time... can't remember his name but read that in the paper some time

Shane McCabe was the Fermanagh player who played or might even still plays for Glentoran. Does Michael Schlingermann still play football or does he play soccer only now? He was class for Mayo in the minor semi and final this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

paul galvin spent some time with cork city i think. mike macarthy played soccer alot this year before rejoining the squad.

Mike Mac played a fair bit of soccer over the years he was missing from the panel. Played CB with Castleisland Dynamos.

Not so sure about Paul Galvin.

Kerry captain Darren O'Sullivan spent two years at QPR's underage academy, and I think is playing some rugby this winter (not 100%)

Xabi Alonso took part in some Gaelic games blitz in Trim when he was a young lad learning English one summer.

Did once hear of Steve Finnan bringing hurls to a training session at Liverpool and I have a notion of seeing him in a Limerick jersey as well.

shockframe wrote: »
    is that the reason he solo'd then headed the ball then solo'd against dublin this year.

Yup - wanted to show off his soccer skills in Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Did once hear of Steve Finnan bringing hurls to a training session at Liverpool and I have a notion of seeing him in a Limerick jersey as well.

i remember a photo in the paper a couple of years ago of leroy lita holding a hurley and shane long showing him a few basics. he could've got a junior medal in london if he kept it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

Gingy wrote: »
    Shane McCabe was the Fermanagh player who played or might even still plays for Glentoran. Does Michael Schlingermann still play football or does he play soccer only now? He was class for Mayo in the minor semi and final this year.

when i seen him i was like 'oh he must be nervous playing against bohs' but then i rememered he would have played in front of thousands in the under-21 final but he was rubbish in the one game he played. showed the different qualities needed to be a keeper in gaa football and soccer football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Shane Curran-Roscommon and Athlone Town
    Michael Donnellan-Galway and Galway Utd
    Eoin Keating-Limerick and Limerick 37

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Photi wrote: »
    PJ Banville

Waterford Utd & Wexford

Banville is injured at the moment, broke a leg playing soccer recently.

Ciaran Lyng played professionaly in England, now playing football for Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Cathal Naughton had trials at a premier league club when he was a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

flahavaj wrote: »
    Dave Barry starred for Cork City and Cork footballers for yers.

Don't forget Dinny Allen before him. Cork Hibs and the county team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

Mark McKeever - Cavan & Sheff Wed
    John Convery - Down & Celtic
    Brendan Murphy - Meath & Wimbledon

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rocky77

Padraig Amond - Shamrock Rovers, Sligo Rovers and Carlow hurlers
    Stephen Lynch - Longford Town, UCD and Longford footballers
    Niall McGinn - Derry City, Celtic and Dungannon footballers
    Packie Bonner - Celtic, Ireland and Donegal minors
    Dessie Barry - Longford Town and Longford
    Enda Kenny - Longford Town and Roscommon
    Gary Connaughton - Athlone Town and Westmeath
    Dave Barry - Cork City and Cork
    Eric Bradley - Waterford United and Wexford
    Wayne Guthrie - Tralee Dynamos and Kerry minors

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 235 ✭✭Mullet

Niall Quinn played for Dublin in an all ireland minor hurling final before heading to Arsenal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 235 ✭✭Mullet

Mick Deegan Played Senior football for dublin and in the Irish league for Coleraine "i think".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for but since Shane Supple quit Ipswich a few months ago, he's been playing senior football with Brigids and has gotten a run out with the Dublin development squad a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,052 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Orizio wrote: »

Notts Forest

Kevin Moran anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

Orizio wrote: »

He had trials and a contract with notts forest but became homesick and left it

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rocky77

GymJim wrote: »
    Mark McKeever - Cavan & Sheff Wed
    John Convery - Down & Celtic
    Brendan Murphy - Meath & Wimbledon

Not the same one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Martin O Neill current Aston Villa manager had won an All Ireland Under 21 Final with Down.

Advertisement