Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you find out Santa wasn't real ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

God be with the days when people wouldn't talk about it and the magic lived on for kids. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Forky wrote: »
    God be with the days when people wouldn't talk about it and the magic lived on for kids. :)

But it was always like that, until the kids found out.

There are a lot more ways for them to find out now though.

And this thread and the power of the Internet is one of those ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 UppThaDubs

I know a 13 year old who still believes in santa. I **** you not. He has his whole explaination worked out. Santa takes 5 minutes to deliver to each house. Each time he finished he's travels to the next house and goes back in time by 5 minutes. Surprisingly enough the kid barely ever leave a his house....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I actually eventually figured it out myself, thinking it was impossible and me and my parents had heated debates about it at the dinner table with me convinced that it was them doing it.

My little brother found it through watching the Graham Norton Show, when graham actually just plain out said "So we all know Santa isn't real..."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can say there's no such thing as Santa but as for me and grandpa, we believe :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i believed til bout 5th class, then these horrid rumours started to circulate about kids findin christmas presents in their parents wardrobes, but of course they would, they
    were bad kids, their parents had to buy them toys because santy wouldn't bring them any.
    then the deep thinking started. then my dad sat me down and told me that i was too old for santy to come to me anymore. NOT that the bast4rd wasnt real, oh god no!
    i was so distraught, wailed like a banshee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

My mum tried persuading me in the run up to Xmas that Santa was a fake & she had paid off the santy present already, but i didn't believe, so me being 9, i wanted to go to the shopping center Santas, & my mum went with me. So there i was sitting on santas lap, telling him what i wanted for xmas, when my mum rippid his beard clean off... :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

egan007 wrote: »
    He's not real?

......jasus nearly dropped my razor reading that

You shave yourself while on boards?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

What's all this about pretending to still believe so you get presents?

What kind of parents stop giving presents the year you find out Santa isn't real? Are they trying to ruin your childhood?

When I found out my parents just insisted he was real for ages (getting less and less insistent as time went on) and continued giving presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

I was a very logical kid,
    1) Rain dears cant fly - not possible.
    2) No way he could carry enough toys to give to all the children in the world.
    3) I looked up the chimney, no fat b*stards fittin down that.
    4) Even if he could carry all that stuff, no way he could do it in one night, or even 3 or 4.
    5) If he was real we could get as much of, and what ever the hell we wanted
    The list goes on.....Xmas sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

cant really remember but i think it was my evil brother

although i do still have a question since i found out which is,

what the hell do An Post do with all the Santa letters they get ?

Do they actually bring them to the North Pole ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

Visiting my grandmothers when I was 7 I found my Santa gift under a bed while looking for the Hoover.

Reported my find.
    Got a hiding.
    Christmas was ruined.

=o(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I always knew there was no Santa. :) The mammy quit the catholics and joined a new one that didn't celebrate Xmas or birthdays.
    When I was 5 or 6 my teacher was receiving complaints from other parents because I was ruining it for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

Xinkai wrote: »
    My mum tried persuading me in the run up to Xmas that Santa was a fake & she had paid off the santy present already, but i didn't believe, so me being 9, i wanted to go to the shopping center Santas, & my mum went with me. So there i was sitting on santas lap, telling him what i wanted for xmas, when my mum rippid his beard clean off... :O
    Was 8, and went to see the REAL santa in Dublin. Was just about to get my photo taken with him when two gardai came in and arrested him. Buckets of tears, the truth came out. :(

With 100% = completely true, what % of truth are both of those stories? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

At about 6yo I stayed up all night and when the fuc*ker didn't show up I discovered both my parents were dirty liars. :mad:

Be janey it's not like you not to believe made up stuff! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭I_luv_2_ski!

my friend told me...

worst way to find out was my dad...he was in FIRST class and one day in school one boy was annoyed at an other and said to him "santa wont come to you" and the teacher was so annoyed that she announce that santa wasnt real!!!

nice eh??? there was quite a few annoyed parents in the next day and the teacher ended up leaving the school!

• Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I was in third class in primary school when my twin neighbours told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I was 10 when I found out, a girl in school told me. I cried for the whole evening. My mam still did Christmas the exact same every year though, even though I was the youngest. In fact, this year is the first year that we're not all getting stockings :( (I'm 24 :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

when my granny gave me my present on xmas eve

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Worked in retail last year so we all went for a pint after a very busy Christmas eve. Went to a hotel in the city and after a few pints we started to have this exact conversation - "how did you find out santa wasnt real".

Nobody noticed the two tables either side of us with kids in their pj's that were staying in the hotel that night....

Guess they found out that night ****cringe****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

One year, the hairdresser I go to was telling me she had posted two letters that morning - one was an application form to the secondary school her daughter wanted to go to the following autumn, the other was the same daughter's letter to Santa. :o
    Forky wrote: »
    :confused:
    When were those days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I always kinda knew. I was too smart for my own good as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Was about 10/11, was on an overnight school tour and about 3 of the cool kids asked about the other 12 of the lads in the house, "You'se dont still believe in Santy do youse?"

Que heartbreak amongst myself and another 10 or so young boys.

Still goes down as one of the worst feelings I've ever felt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dudess wrote: »
    When were those days?

The letting-on days.

Only really using this as an excuse to that. Used to love that phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Stella777

When my mother slipped up and used the same wrapping paper for the Santa presents and the presents from her and dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

I am the youngest of 6 kids, my nearest brother, 2 yrs older, had found out the year before, and spoiled it for me - Deliberately! :rolleyes: Tsk, boys!
    He waited until our parents were upstairs wrapping all the presents on Christmas Eve, then he came downstairs and told me that they needed to speak to me in their room. Like an obedient 7 yr old, I of course traipsed right in to discover the sight of all the gifts lying istrewn around partially wrapped, and 2 pretty shocked parental faces!
    They immediately exploded and ranted at my bro - funny how they know it was him straight away...
    Not only the sight of the pressies, but the panicky reaction really let me know something was going on.
    My parents still sign "From Santa" on all christmas gifts to this day. I fall for it every time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why do inner city people say Santee :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Trekker09

My elder sister told me when I was 5. She also told me I was adopted and that if I mentioned it then they would bring me back to the orphanage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

When I discovered Santa used the same wrapping paper as us that was no longer in the press!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I for one think this thread should be closed as Santa is real and you may just ruin it for some random child of a boardsie that may glance at this thread and be lied to by it because SANTA IS REAL! :D

Advertisement