Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets try to Understand Genesis whilst believing Evolution.

Options
  • 25-11-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi.

I want to discuss how christians can overcome difficulties in reading genesis and the bible whilst holding to an evolution in some form. Im not that interested in Intelligent design and i dont have much faith that i will ever be convinced of creationism (again) . Maybe this is covered in the creationism, and prophecy thread but that thread is at least concerning creationism alone and is also by now a monster sized thread!

My own story was that after becoming an evangelical christian i fairly soon swallowed what was put to me that Gen 1 2 and 3 are literal discriptions of history. I started to change because of two things. 1. was that quite a lot of creationists were not scientists but those that were Ken ham etc i found condesending and increasingly i was put off by the attitudes of creationists that i met. 2 was that increasingly i met non-christian sceintists who it seemed to me where just honestly doing there job. the creationist argument is that there is an atheist conspiracy but increasingly that became an untenable position.

Last year i asked Craig Bloomberg a semi famous evangelical how many "famous christians" did he think were creationists. He said 5%. i was shocked by that. Then i found that more and more christians are saying they believe in evolution, most of them are the guys whose books we read. Up until then my biggest hurdle had been death before the fall. Evolution demands death as a part of its process but if theres death before the fall that contradicts the bible as its written. But then low and behold i found out the CALVIN !! himself (check out his commentary on Gen 3 ) surmised that perhaps the death had already been a part of the scene before the fall and that before the curse death was a part of the natural order of things. That it would have been a thing that was looked to and in a sense a process of passing over to the other side. ( i think C.S. Lewis shows this happeinging in his prelandria stories now that i think of it )

Right now i can see everything from Adam and Eve onwards as possible but even there i have problems. What im hoping from this thread is that christians can come together to start discussing the various problems one can have when you have a high view of the bible AND believe in evolution. I suspect that there are more than i think out there. I am not at all interested in big long discussions about DNA, different kinds etc what i want to know about is how one can handle the text of the bible whilst holding to evolution. This thread is not for debating whether or not evolution is true per se but more about what that belief does to one who also believes in christianity. Im specifically interested in the questions and answers that arise from the text when you have this belief, to simply believe that Gen 1 is literal for instance makes explaining it very easy but if you dont how do you explain Gen 1. Kapish??

I would ask that we deal with trolls by ignoring them. Creationists who feel enraged/upset/movedtowrite - please put questions to us rather than get mad if you can at all and dont hesitate to give us your questions as it is those very questions after all that we need.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

A good journey to be on.
    I hold to the 6 day literal interpretation of Genesis, for the reasons that you have cited above. Primaraly death. I'm aslo not that big on Calvin.

I have a dear friend who holds to evolution and tries to set out Genesis with the fossil record. I give my Sunday School my side of the argument and then he gives his side.

the point we get across is that it is possible to be Christian and hold either view. We also say that the first guy in Heaven gets God to reveal how it was, the next guy either gets a raspberry or a bow.

It is unfortuante that some evangelists get all hung up on the subject and treat it as though salvation depends on which way you interpret Genesis. I find that too many American evengelicals get their knickers in a twist over such secondary issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Ismhunter wrote: »
    Hi.

I want to discuss how christians can overcome difficulties in reading genesis and the bible whilst holding to an evolution in some form. Im not that interested in Intelligent design and i dont have much faith that i will ever be convinced of creationism (again) . Maybe this is covered in the creationism, and prophecy thread but that thread is at least concerning creationism alone and is also by now a monster sized thread!

My own story was that after becoming an evangelical christian i fairly soon swallowed what was put to me that Gen 1 2 and 3 are literal discriptions of history. I started to change because of two things. 1. was that quite a lot of creationists were not scientists but those that were Ken ham etc i found condesending and increasingly i was put off by the attitudes of creationists that i met. 2 was that increasingly i met non-christian sceintists who it seemed to me where just honestly doing there job. the creationist argument is that there is an atheist conspiracy but increasingly that became an untenable position.

Last year i asked Craig Bloomberg a semi famous evangelical how many "famous christians" did he think were creationists. He said 5%. i was shocked by that. Then i found that more and more christians are saying they believe in evolution, most of them are the guys whose books we read. Up until then my biggest hurdle had been death before the fall. Evolution demands death as a part of its process but if theres death before the fall that contradicts the bible as its written. But then low and behold i found out the CALVIN !! himself (check out his commentary on Gen 3 ) surmised that perhaps the death had already been a part of the scene before the fall and that before the curse death was a part of the natural order of things. That it would have been a thing that was looked to and in a sense a process of passing over to the other side. ( i think C.S. Lewis shows this happeinging in his prelandria stories now that i think of it )

Right now i can see everything from Adam and Eve onwards as possible but even there i have problems. What im hoping from this thread is that christians can come together to start discussing the various problems one can have when you have a high view of the bible AND believe in evolution. I suspect that there are more than i think out there. I am not at all interested in big long discussions about DNA, different kinds etc what i want to know about is how one can handle the text of the bible whilst holding to evolution. This thread is not for debating whether or not evolution is true per se but more about what that belief does to one who also believes in christianity. Im specifically interested in the questions and answers that arise from the text when you have this belief, to simply believe that Gen 1 is literal for instance makes explaining it very easy but if you dont how do you explain Gen 1. Kapish??

I would ask that we deal with trolls by ignoring them. Creationists who feel enraged/upset/movedtowrite - please put questions to us rather than get mad if you can at all and dont hesitate to give us your questions as it is those very questions after all that we need.

Thanks

Wouldn't worry about them getting mad as such, but the thread could end up as another creationism debate. That said, it would be really interesting to hear how conservative and moderate Christians reconcile the Bible with modern science. Could be a really interesting thread, so long as it doesn't turn into a copy of the BC&P thread!

Obviously as an atheist I can't comment on the reconciliation part, but if you don't mind the odd interjection I can give some input on the science element. No good trying to reconcile the Bible with a straw man, after all.

Out of interest, is there any data out there on the proportion of conservatives/evangelicals etc. who accept some form of evolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The vast amount of Christian theologians believe in evolution and have reconciled it with pure ease. In fact, let's be honest here, it was well know before Darwin even came along that Genesis wasn't meant to be taken literally*
    I'm going to wait and see if a Christian will make this argument.
    If not an atheist will do his best to show how biblical interpretation of the bible don't really conflict with evolution.

* The bible is a literary text consisting of a plethora of different genres, it obviously wasn't meant to be taken as a scientific text and to be honest bar some powerful establishments this was well known and well accepted. When the archbishop of Armagh (?) calculated the exact age of the Earth from the bible, the majority of theologians and the scientists were almost certain he was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I'm an atheist so I don't have a whole lot to contribute to this thread but I possibly think the thread should be

Lets try to Understand Genesis whilst believing in modern scientific theory

since issues with literal reading of Genesis, as Creationists do, conflict with pretty much the entire body of current scientific understanding, everything from theories like the Big Bang to all modern geology, to atomic theory.

Evolution has become the whipping boy of the Creationist movement, but there are so many other scientific theories that would have to be abandoned if Literal Creationism was true.

Just a point to keep in mind. Last I'll say on the matter, hope the thread goes well. The Creationists have dominated this forum for a while, mostly because the majority of regular posters don't seem to care that much about science either way, so it would be nice to see a balance returned with people saying that they positively embrace an understanding of modern science while still remaining Christians.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Mod Hat On

Anyone posting opinions better suited to the B,C&P thread will have their posts deleted. I'm going to be running a tight ship on this one, so please stick to the topic.

Mod Hat Off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Mod Hat On

Anyone posting opinions better suited to the B,C&P thread will have their posts deleted. I'm going to be running a tight ship on this one, so please stick to the topic.

Mod Hat Off

Good Luck. :):pac:

OP, may I suggest that you do some reading and downloading! Here are a few that spring to mind.

Talk by Earnest Lucas on Genesis 1 - 3. (Many more lectures and papers to be found Faraday Institute (link to audio section of website))

Biologos (Francis Collins' attempt to promote the understanding of theistic evolution amongst certain Christians)

Theistic evolution(Wiki article)

Mod Hat On

Mod Hat Off

Yessir!

A good journey to be on.
    I hold to the 6 day literal interpretation of Genesis

If you have an hour I would be interested in hearing what you think about the audio link I posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Ingenuist

religion is for people who cant accept were here for no particular reason, evolution is proof that most religions are a lie and so evolution is not accepted, no offence to anyone.

• Advertisement

Is it just me, or are we seeing an upsurge in these type of dogmatic posts lately?
    Ingenuist wrote: »
    religion is for people who cant accept were here for no particular reason, evolution is proof that most religions are a lie and so evolution is not accepted, no offence to anyone.

Ignoring your painfully oversimplified faith-statement about the motivations for belief in God (sometimes people just believe, you know), how exactly is evolution proof that most religions are a lie?

If you can't provide an answer, I strongly suggest that you keep such contentions opinions off this forum and, instead, present them to people who will readily agree with your anti-theistic claptrap. No offence!

Interestingly, if one insists that evolution is both a scientific theory and an atheistic theology (for want of a better word), I wonder what the ramifications would be under the current legal framework in somewhere like the US? Presumably there would be some serious legal challenges to evolution being taught in schools. I dare say that claims of "indoctrination" would be fired left, right and centre, which would be ironic considering the focus it often has nowadays.

Read the charter, Ingenuist.

Anyway, not being one to derail a thread :P, back on topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Hi.

Good question! And, like Fanny Cradock, I will be keeping my beady mod eyes on this thread to ensure we discuss the questions in the OP rather than going down the road of discussing whether Creationism is true or not.

There are a great many Christians who believe in evolution and also in the inspiration (even the inerrancy) of the Bible. The guy who wrote the classic textbook on biblical inerrancy (BB Warfield - The Inspiration and Authority of Scripture) was one such person.

The Bible contains many kinds of literature including poetry, parables and metaphors, and historical narrative. Belief in the inspiration of the Bible involves recognising which is which, and not treating everything as historical narrative. For example, when Jesus describes Himself as the 'True Vine' nobody takes that strictly literally - we understand it is a metaphor. Equally, the resurrection accounts are clearly historical narrative - you would need to be an absolute moron, and ignore everything we know about First Century literature and culture, to argue that they were intended to be understood any other way (whether people actually believe the historical narrative to be true, of course, is another issue entirely).

The examples I've just given are the obvious ones - there are other Biblical passages where sincere readers of the Scripture disagree as to how they were intended to be interpreted by the authors. The further back you go in time, and the more alien the culture, then the chances of such ambiguity increase. Obviously the opening chapters of Genesis, being furthest away from us in terms of time and culture, have the potential to be misunderstood more than others.

We do know that the Bible contains extended parables and metaphors. For example, the entire Chapter 23 of Exekiel speaks about two adulterous sisters who are clearly not literal people but represent Jerusalem and Samaria. Others see the Song of Solomon as being such an extended parable and speaking of God's relationship with His people (I personally think its more of a damn good Jewish sex manual - but I digress).

Many biblical scholars, entirely separate from any scientific theories, see the first few Chapters of Genesis as bearing all the literary hallmarks of an extended parable or metaphor. Some apply this to the first 3 Chapters, others to the first 11 Chapters - up to the call of Abraham. By this reading, the early Chapters of Genesis teach important truths by using metaphors to present a picture of God as a monotheistic Creator which stands in stark contrast to the creation myths of other Middle Eastern peoples.
    I would ask that we deal with trolls by ignoring them.
    Good idea, but since I have the power I will also zap them with my mod stick! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ismhunter

Hi lads. Op here.

Brian: you said "I hold to the 6 day literal interpretation of Genesis, for the reasons that you have cited above. Primaraly death" I dont understand could you explain?

Atomic: i have not heard of any stats on christians who are pro-evolution to some degree, but i did hear that quite a lot of evangelicals in the states hold to creationism. That said most (if not all) surveys of chrisitians in the states that are widely known are done by the Barna foundation and their definition of evangelical is so broad that anyone who likes(!) the bible could call themselves one. Thats an aside .. to me such a fact only shows that there seems to be a folk popularity behind creationism.. (my father for instance no evangelical himself nor bible lover of any shape or kind refuses to believe in evolution or dinosaurs!!)
    I will say that as PDN says in christian academia there seems to be a consensus on thinking that the world is millions of years old and somehow evolution has got us to where we are. That "somehow" is the reason for this thread.

Fanny: thanks for the links and i will get back to ye on them .

A couple of things :

It seems an answer im getting back is "to be aware of different kinds of literature" This is good stuff. Gen 1 is poetry right? I'm no Hebrew scholar but it seems like turgid stuff if tis.

I was thought in a class that the original idea behind Gen 1 was to show God in a different light to ideas that prevailed about god in the Ancient Near East (ANE). Anyone got anymore details bout what these ideas where and how Gen 1 counters them.

Clearly Jesus is talking literally when he calls himself the "true vine" but maybe thats a metaphor thats easy to spot, any better examples of places where taking the words literally is plain wrong exegisis (how do you spell that) The two girls from ezekiel is a great example.

Why wouldnt he Just create it in six days..like why would he use evoltuion over millions of years to get the Job done? What was the point of that.?

the philosophical underpinnings of evolutionary theory dont sit well with me. Where is God in a system that is about the strongest and fittest forging ahead to the detriement of others? there is no love in evolution.

Paul, in Rom 5:12 (niv) Says " therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man and death through sin and in this way death came to all men because all sinned" Whilst we might have a way of understanding death before the fall as wholesome event and indeed a looked-forward too part of life that became wicked after the fall i think this verse is pretty unambigous on the need for Adam to have existed. whay say ye?

lastly i realise that we could probably very well just go and google this whole disussion but id rather chew it out with each other rather than just send each other a whole heap of links and files.
    Happy hunting amigos!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

As a Creationist there are many reasons why I believe in creation, the first one being that I met the Creator...
    You would need to give very good answers on the following questions:
    • Is God the author of the Bible, or is the Bible a collection of books of people with a relationship with God?
    • When the Lord Jesus talks about Adam & Eve (Matthew 19) as created beings and quotes Gen 1, is He just confirming a popular myth and therefore not completely honest (since He is the Creator He knew better)?
    • If we do not accept Genesis 1 & 2 as facts, what do we do with Genesis 3. Is this also just an attempt of religious man to describe how evil came into this world?
    • If we set aside the creation story, do we think that there was a moment when "Everything was very good"
    • Genesis 1-3 are strong pillars in soteriology. Without Genesis 1-3 we need to redefine the source of evil, the need of a saviour, original sin, marriage, male/female relationship
    • If we set aside the creation story, do we think there was one couple from whom all mankind descends?
    • If we set aside the creation story, when did God reveal Himself first to his evolution?
    • Are Angels evolving?
    • When the Lord Jesus ancestry is traced back to Adam (Luke 3) is this just a popular myth of those days?
    • Do you expect life on other planets?
    When we have answered all this, do we think that Science is agreeing with our faith?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

the philosophical underpinnings of evolutionary theory dont sit well with me. Where is God in a system that is about the strongest and fittest forging ahead to the detriement of others? there is no love in evolution.

It is not necessarily the strongest that "forge ahead" in evolution, but the most adapted to the environment, and that can often mean the evolution of emotions, social partnerships and even altruism.

From an evolutionary point of view the only thing that is happening is that individuals live long enough for their genes to survive, and nature is finding the best way available for this to happen.

But to achieve this nature has come up with some very interesting systems that are far removed from the harsh bullish view a lot of people have of evolution, where the poor weak (and often very cute :pac:) animals are sacrificed at the alter of evolution so the big powerful animals can survive and evolve. It is a dog eat dog world except when the dogs all evolve a cooperative commune and find out they all last a lot longer that way :pac:

A good example of this are humans, who have a whole range of evolved instincts designed around helping others. But you see this in other animals as well.

Now I'm an atheist, so I don't believe there is a creator god behind this process.

But if someone did it is not a huge leap to see nature coming up with these systems as really God coming up with these systems through nature. I'm not saying that resolves all the issues. You are still left with death and the notion that animals compete with each other for resources including each other.

But then Genesis describes Adam tending to his garden in Eden before the Fall, so even with a literal view of the Bible it seems that there has always a notion of resources that included food, and food by its very nature requires death.

Hope this isn't considered off topic, it isn't a justification of evolution over creationism, simply a point that the harsh nature of evolution the general public have is some what inaccurate and actual evolution can produce systems closer to the values we as humans hold important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

But the same objection could be raised against the six day creation account: In both scenarios, animals are destroyed even though they do not sin.

From what I know about contemporary Christianity, it holds that death is the natural consequence of things that do not know God. Animals naturally die. Man was created to live forever with God, but invited death through sin.

It seems an answer im getting back is "to be aware of different kinds of literature" This is good stuff. Gen 1 is poetry right? I'm no Hebrew scholar but it seems like turgid stuff if tis.
    Well, Genesis is an historic book. The notion to have Genesis 1 reclassified as poetry is imho only driven by the need of Theistic Evolution. However, you then have Genesis 2, and to a lesser extend Genesis 3-5 to deal with. I can't see how you could classify Genesis 2 as poetry.
    I was thought in a class that the original idea behind Gen 1 was to show God in a different light to ideas that prevailed about god in the Ancient Near East (ANE). Anyone got anymore details bout what these ideas where and how Gen 1 counters them.
    So you put Genesis 1 in a human attempt to describe God? How does that fit with inerrancy of the Bible?
    Why wouldnt he Just create it in six days..like why would he use evoltuion over millions of years to get the Job done? What was the point of that.?
    I think more importantly, as Moses was acquainted with Egypt Mythology, why would he (/He) compress the huge time frame of the scientists of his day into 7 days. And more importantly, why would it become part of Gods Word, when it is obviously not true?
    It is imho not just the Philosphy of evolution that is the problem. Unless you define a moment in which God infused a soul into mankind, you have reduce all human aspects (morals, historic aspects, social aspects, psychological aspects, economic aspects etc.) to plain physics.
    Paul, in Rom 5:12 (niv) Says " therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man and death through sin and in this way death came to all men because all sinned" Whilst we might have a way of understanding death before the fall as wholesome event and indeed a looked-forward too part of life that became wicked after the fall i think this verse is pretty unambigous on the need for Adam to have existed. whay say ye?
    I would strongly agree here. The worldview of Paul (and the whole Bible) is very strongly build on the need of Creation, Fall and Salvation. The three go together and if you remove one you have a hard job establishing the others.

santing : Good man for getting the ball rolling. :)

I'll say a couple of quick things.
    A. i too have met the creator.
    on your point 1. I dont see the revelance of the question???
    " " "" 2. For starters i would have no problem believeing in Adam and Eve, thats what i want to work out here. but i think your statement is a problem that i have seen in most creationists even if Adam and Eve were not literal and Jesus was just using a story to make his point how would that mean that God was dishonest? It would only at the least mean that you dont know his reasons for not revealing the complete picture. btw Jesus is quoting Gen3 in Mat 19
    " " " 3. A very good question. But most would take the first 3 as not literal. Im not so comfortable with that yet. I at least can see how Gen 1 is not literal. which of course causes problems and opens me to accusations of not being uniform.. here i stand!
    " " " 4. I would say yes. Before the fall everything was very good. Your point?
    " ' ' 5. Thats what this is about:)
    " " " 6. I would say yes. why not. it makes logical sense...
    " " " 7. Dont know
    8. Dont know.. revelancy ?
    9. I dont know but like i said i'll take adam and eve as being real people for now.
    10. I can see how its possible Re: C.s lewis prelandria trilogy where the main guy goes to another planet and meets creatures who havent fallen and worship God. They refer to earth as the silent planet.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

santing wrote: »
    As a Creationist there are many reasons why I believe in creation, the first one being that I met the Creator...
    You would need to give very good answers on the following questions:
    • Is God the author of the Bible, or is the Bible a collection of books of people with a relationship with God?
    • When the Lord Jesus talks about Adam & Eve (Matthew 19) as created beings and quotes Gen 1, is He just confirming a popular myth and therefore not completely honest (since He is the Creator He knew better)?
    • If we do not accept Genesis 1 & 2 as facts, what do we do with Genesis 3. Is this also just an attempt of religious man to describe how evil came into this world?
    • If we set aside the creation story, do we think that there was a moment when "Everything was very good"
    • Genesis 1-3 are strong pillars in soteriology. Without Genesis 1-3 we need to redefine the source of evil, the need of a saviour, original sin, marriage, male/female relationship
    • If we set aside the creation story, do we think there was one couple from whom all mankind descends?
    • If we set aside the creation story, when did God reveal Himself first to his evolution?
    • Are Angels evolving?
    • When the Lord Jesus ancestry is traced back to Adam (Luke 3) is this just a popular myth of those days?
    • Do you expect life on other planets?
    When we have answered all this, do we think that Science is agreeing with our faith?

These are very good questions. Christians should explore these questions, (and many have done so). What they shouldn't do is take an "ends justify the means" approach, and masquerade their theological objections to evolution as scientific ones in the hope that it will be more effective.

Originally Posted by Ismhunter

So you put Genesis 1 in a human attempt to describe God? How does that fit with inerrancy of the Bible?

I dont see how you can describe what i learnt in class as a human attempt to describe God. I learnt that it was God teaching us how He was very different from what they thought of were the attributes of God.

What is this about Moses and Egytpian mythology? Ive never heard this.

• Advertisement

Ingenuist wrote: »

Pretty off topic there fella.

on your point 1. I dont see the revelance of the question???
    Its the fundamental question... If we accept the Bible as God's Word, without error, as a book given to us by Him, than that gives us a basis to work with. If however, we decide that the Bible is human work with cultural limitations, than we don't have much to base our discussion on.
    2. For starters i would have no problem believeing in Adam and Eve, thats what i want to work out here. but i think your statement is a problem that i have seen in most creationists even if Adam and Eve were not literal and Jesus was just using a story to make his point how would that mean that God was dishonest? It would only at the least mean that you dont know his reasons for not revealing the complete picture. btw Jesus is quoting Gen3 in Mat 19
    The first part I address under 6. In Matthew 19 the Lord Jesus quotes from Gen 1:27 and Gen 2:24. He could have used other portions of Scripture, but He choose these in such a way that we only can conclude that He believed these stories and found them of importance. He used them to instruct us on mariage. It at least becomes a "problem" verse if we take the Theistic Evolution route, because at least it was not "in the beginning" and the word "create" is dubious in that context.
    3. A very good question. But most would take the first 3 as not literal. Im not so comfortable with that yet. I at least can see how Gen 1 is not literal. which of course causes problems and opens me to accusations of not being uniform.. here i stand!
    This goes back to point 1. Are we accepting God's Word or not? We do not have any other reason to doubt the historic value of Genesis 2 and 3 - which clearly are written as historic writings - than science. If because of science we drop the reliability of a portion of Scripture, we state that we have a higher authority than Scripture to live by.
    4. I would say yes. Before the fall everything was very good. Your point?
    We know that the consequences of the Fall not just related to the first couple, but to the whole creation. Genesis 3 pictures the Fall as a global "natural" disaster that changed species like thorns and thistles and brought suffering and ultimate death. Now we could of course take the word "death" as meaning spiritual death, as it is used in say Ephesians 2, but it still leave us with a moment in time where we seek God's intervention. Taking into account the magnitude of this disaster, it must be something that is traceable through science.
    5. Thats what this is about:)
    Agree - and I think the list will grow when we go along!
    6. I would say yes. why not. it makes logical sense...
    It will be difficult to come up with a first human couple - descendents of non humans (nearly nearly human) without stipulating a direct intervention from God. (and science doesn't like interventions from God!)
    7. Dont know
    8. Dont know.. revelancy ?
    Well, just curious. Why change the story for only one part of creation? I like consistency.
    9. I dont know but like i said i'll take adam and eve as being real people for now.
    OK, another question than, would you agree with the timeline for Adam and Eve as indicated by the Lord's ancestry. (I.e. thousands of years, not millions of years ago.)
    10. I can see how its possible Re: C.s lewis prelandria trilogy where the main guy goes to another planet and meets creatures who havent fallen and worship God. They refer to earth as the silent planet.
    I have read this trilogy with great enjoyment. I've never looked at the books as a promotion of life on other planets though. But I think my question doesn't really bear much consequence as the Bible doesn't talk about other planets, let alone about life on other planets.

Atomic: i have not heard of any stats on christians who are pro-evolution to some degree, but i did hear that quite a lot of evangelicals in the states hold to creationism. That said most (if not all) surveys of chrisitians in the states that are widely known are done by the Barna foundation and their definition of evangelical is so broad that anyone who likes(!) the bible could call themselves one. Thats an aside .. to me such a fact only shows that there seems to be a folk popularity behind creationism.. (my father for instance no evangelical himself nor bible lover of any shape or kind refuses to believe in evolution or dinosaurs!!)

Yeah, I think there was a recent survey in the UK which showed a similar trend- "folk popularity" of a sort. Perhaps ignorance of the official stance of various denominations or a growing general scepticism towards science. If anyone does have some solid numbers I'd be really interested in seeing them.

PDN, good post. Out of interest what's your position on evolution these days? If a member of your congregation were to ask you whether you thought evolution was compatible with your faith or if it were correct, what would you say? Last time I asked you seemed to be on the fence and I sense a certain reluctance to be specific about it now.

Originally Posted by Ismhunter

I dont see how you can describe what i learnt in class as a human attempt to describe God. I learnt that it was God teaching us how He was very different from what they thought of were the attributes of God.
    Ok, sorry for jumping too quickly to conclusions! It opens the question though, if God is teaching us here, how would you summarise the intended lesson of Genesis 1-3? How would you classify the writing style? If you say a "parable" than I would counter that a parable always has an historic incident at its core... Poetry can of course dramatise, but again there is always a strong historic incident at its core.
    What is this about Moses and Egytpian mythology? Ive never heard this.

I presume you agree that Moses was instrumental in composing/writing Genesis. A summary of the Egyptian mythology from http://www.touregypt.net/gods1.htm (emphasis mine)
    To understand the Myth of Creation, one must first understand that it is a complicated story. Four "cosmologies," or theories about creation are involved, each developing over different periods in ancient Egypt. There are some common elements to each theory. For example, each theory holds that in the beginning, only a primordial, stagnant ocean called Nu existed. In addition, the four theories agree that out of Nu, rose the primeval hill. Each cosmology believed it was their temple that stood on this hill. The first step-pyramids are no doubt symbolic of this mound. All cosmologies share the belief that creation was a slow process, not catastrophic. Finally, they also all agree that there was a "First Time," or a time period when the gods actually lived on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What's really going to bake your noodle is the question of when humanity got a soul? If we evolved from animals, which do not have souls, then there must have been a point at which the soul was added. So you end up with the rather uncomfortable scenario where the first human being is born with a soul, to parents that are technically animals, who don't have souls, but for all intents and purposes are biologically and mentally identical.

Zillah wrote: »
    What's really going to bake your noodle is the question of when humanity got a soul? If we evolved from animals, which do not have souls, then there must have been a point at which the soul was added. So you end up with the rather uncomfortable scenario where the first human being is born with a soul, to parents that are technically animals, who don't have souls, but for all intents and purposes are biologically and mentally identical.

I think you're probably thinking of the spirit rather than of the soul. Nowhere does the Bible say that animals lack souls - quite the contrary in fact.

Those who believe in theistic evolution would often suggest that there must have been a 'first couple' within whom God breathed a spirit. They may well be viewed as Adam and Eve - thus you have evolutionists who believe in a literal Adam and Eve. Without this spirit their parents would be nothing more than highly developed apes with an ability to talk and think a bit better than other apes.

In fact, according to the Bible, most human beings live their life functionally without a spirit, since our spirits are dead in transgressions and sins until we come to faith in Christ.

Hope that doesn't 'bake your noodle'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

PDN wrote: »
    Those who believe in theistic evolution would often suggest that there must have been a 'first couple' within whom God breathed a spirit. They may well be viewed as Adam and Eve - thus you have evolutionists who believe in a literal Adam and Eve. Without this spirit their parents would be nothing more than highly developed apes with an ability to talk and think a bit better than other apes.

You know what I'm referring to, lets not quible over semantics. So this couple, were they given their spirit at conception or during their lives, before they conceived?

You know what I'm referring to, lets not quible over semantics. So this couple, were they given their spirit at conception or during their lives, before they conceived?
    They got it at the same moment as they became human, as this is something that sets us apart from animals. Now since it isn't something that could be inherited from their ancestors, and since it is something they would transfer to their offspring, this must have happened through a direct action from God. This direct intervention did change them completely, although their physical aspects (including genes) did not change, I would propose we call this the creation moment of mankind (in Theistic Evolution).
    [As a creationist I think their first thought must have been: "Well God, you could have done this so much easier"]

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

OP, may I suggest that you do some reading and downloading! Here are a few that spring to mind.

Talk by Earnest Lucas on Genesis 1 - 3. (Many more lectures and papers to be found Faraday Institute (link to audio section of website))

Biologos (Francis Collins' attempt to promote the understanding of theistic evolution amongst certain Christians)

Theistic evolution(Wiki article)

Why call it 'theistic evolution'? Does prepending the word 'theistic' make any scientific difference to the theory? I've not seen anything to suggest it does. Is it, then, just a rebranding for people who are suspicious that evolution might be a bit too atheist for them?

I'm all for people - religious and otherwise - embracing science, but I see this conflation of theology and scientific theory as woolly thinking. Scientific theories don't make reference to gods because it doesn't help to go including the unspecified and unnecessary. That doesn't, though, mean that the theories exclude the possibility of gods. That's why I see no more need for 'theistic evolution' than for 'theistic relativity' or the 'theistic big bang'.

• Advertisement

Nobody's quibbling over semantics. I was answering your post.

As for when they were given their spirit, who knows? That information is not given to us.

Advertisement