Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Tiernan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emmamoo

I watched Bovinity on Youboob, he screamed his way through that but I still thought it was really funny.

I still agree though, he's got too loud. But I love the beard.

I reckon the funniest jokes he's told would be the Cork Accent, Mass and I want to be a woman.

If only he would turn the volume down just a little bit... :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

A7X wrote: »
    What's the opposite to funny?
    see thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

zuroph wrote: »
    see thread title.

Finally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Photojoe

basquille wrote: »
    C'mon... Tommy is definantly deserving of Legend status!!

Or a quote from when he did a show at Sligo IT:
    Those three lines are about as mediocre as you get. And these are what you would consider highlights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Fing yes he should be a legand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

He used to be good, first dvd was great. Now not so sure at all. However he is quite good on i102 -104 with Hector if you are in the right mood.

But two things:
    Deliberately controversial does not equal funny.

Being really loud does not equal funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

i like him.....i cant stand lee evans though (just to hijack the thread :P) he sweats like a pedophile.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Murts-Rig

Bathtub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Tommy Tiernan is rude and takes things a bit too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

His last 2 dvds let him down bigtime,no need to shout everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭_Arctic_

He used to be good, first dvd was great. Now not so sure at all. However he is quite good on i102 -104 with Hector if you are in the right mood.

But two things:
    Deliberately controversial does not equal funny.

Being really loud does not equal funny.

Exactly. A lot of his jokes are just made to be offensive and get attention. He doesnt seem to care whether that attention is good or bad. And the shouting gets really annoying. He's not quite as bad as Chris Rock though. I do find him funny sometimes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Fair enough,he takes things a bit far but i found bovinity really funny.Lighten up a little guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭valarie001

i think hes one of the best;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Tommy Teirnan is the biggest sh1tbag of all comedians.

He relies on cheap jokes and making fun of more successful celebs (most probably to comfort himself, maybe?) and makes fun of disabled people.

Come on folks, a LOTBs? Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

Bono Vox wrote: »
    Tommy Teirnan is the biggest sh1tbag of all comedians.

He relies on cheap jokes and making fun of more successful celebs (most probably to comfort himself, maybe?) and makes fun of disabled people.

Come on folks, a LOTBs? Not a chance.

WHAT? :mad:

Tommy is absolute LEGEND!!! not just a boards legend but an Irish legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I used to worship him but now I find his humour a bit too "shouty", Des Bishop is better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Tommy Tiernan is the most annoying bastard ever to step foot on an Irish stage.

If its a posthumous award I'm all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭JoeFitz89

Quazzie wrote: »
    Tommy Tiernan is the most annoying bastard ever to step foot on an Irish stage.

If its a posthumous award I'm all for it.

Agree 100% Tommy Tiernan is a rubbish comedian.
    I cant understand why so many like him!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 neantog

Tiernan's effort at comedy is mostly juvenile shock tactics and incoherent ranting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So that's a Nay then, it is?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Nay nay neeeeeeeiiiigggghhhhhh ffffff.

Don't like him at all, but there's nothing more subjective than comedy. I'm not a fan of SHOUTING for effect ALL THE TIME!!!!!!! LOUD NOISES!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

dont know about tomy now, has he gone under ground hidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

Constantly roaring his head off..........................funny? I dont think so.

Nay all the way.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭JoeFitz89

rafared wrote: »
    Constantly roaring his head off..........................funny? I dont think so.

Nay all the way.:mad:

He is not at all funny him and des bishop very unfunny comedians

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

tommy is the business, very few as good as him

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭dvega

no way is he worth legendary status, hate him....when i see these suckers rushing out to buy his dvd every christmas...that makes me laugh,the poll says it all...near 50/50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Flat2dmat

Tommy is class. only people I know who don't like him aren't worth knowing!!
    He's very funny and not all PC but people don't get that he's just taking the p*ss. Comedy is not meant to be PC -if you're easily offended, don't watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Flat2dmat wrote: »
    Tommy is class. only people I know who don't like him aren't worth knowing!!
    He's very funny and not all PC but people don't get that he's just taking the p*ss. Comedy is not meant to be PC -if you're easily offended, don't watch it!
    His humour is fully based on him being controversial. After a while that gets pretty annoying because he is not trying to be funny. If he had a sick twisted humour I'd appreciate that but anyone who is controversial just for the sake of being controversial really annoys me.

He is not funny and all he aims to do is shock. The only shock is how many DVDs this moron sells every Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭VegetativeState

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Tommy Tiernan is rude and takes things a bit too far.

...he's a comedian. That's his job.

I do prefer his older material, but that's not to say I don't like the way he is now. It's just not as memorable maybe. But I like his obnoxious, visceral tirades on all the subjects that people get so precious about. Comedy is a platform apart from reality, it can be used to comment on society and that's great, but it can also be used to take the complete piss and be surreal and essentially stupid. The only thing it has to be is funny, and that's entirely subjective. People should stop taking it so personally. And stop being so serious about it.
    I don't think he goes out of his way to be conroversial, it's not his fault the Irish media are a bunch reactionary conservatives. A perfect example is that comment he made about Jews (which incidentally made me wet myself). He was taken completely out of context and used as one more way to distract from any real issues that could be discussed.

Dylan Moran was mentioned earlier, now there's a man who's definitely running out of ideas. I'm a big fan but I went to see him in Belfast last October and he was rehashing the same old subjects. He still did it with great literate style but having half the show consisting of long, drawn out metaphors is starting to wear a little thin.

Best comedians on the go at the minute are Stuart Lee and Doug Stanhope I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Tommy tiernan is a hilarious comedian and a nice guy! As proved by the poll....legend.

Submitted as proof: the fire alarm skit:

I was in a pub in England and the fire alarm went off and I couldn't believe what happened... everybody left!!!!

You could be in a pub in Dublin...a pub made of christmas trees and petrol...wedged in between a fireworks factory and a juvenile delinquents home...on halloween...and if the fire alarm went off, sure, you'd look for the fire. If you didn't see it, it didn't exist! If it kept going, you'd start to make jokes about it! "ha ha is that my phone?!"

Advertisement