Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blarney Half Marathon 13th September

Options
  • 31-08-2009 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭

Less then two weeks before this, I'm going to do it instead of the Dingle half, because it's much cheaper.

Just wondering if anyone else is going, or perhaps if anyone has a map of the route? The website is very vague and I heard there are a lot of hills to tackle. Would be handy to map it on MpMyRun and have a look at the elevation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Don't have a mapmyrun of it but a preview of last years race on the Cork running Blogspot
    http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2008/09/preview-of-cork-half-marathon-sun-14th.html
    gives you a pretty good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

WOW, cheers, well spotted. there was even a mapmyrun link at the bottom of the preview, so I was able to copy it into my list of runs. Looks like a challenge, first half seems uphill, then downhill for the second leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Aimman wrote: »
    WOW, cheers, well spotted. there was even a mapmyrun link at the bottom of the preview, so I was able to copy it into my list of runs. Looks like a challenge, first half seems uphill, then downhill for the second leg.
    I think the list of races you are not running in is shorter than the races you are.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Make sure you look at the elevation profile on the mapmyrun link ;)

Ran this last year and it does climb all the way to about half way point, where just before that there is a sharp climb. the second half is mostly downhill running or flat, but there are some hidden climbs.
    As its mostly an out+back course, you will see where these uphill bits are at end, going out at start.

The way I ran it last year was to go out steady+pick up time in 2nd half, and that will be the plan again this year. A tough enough course, medals for all that finish+to my mind 20euro for pre-entry is great value.

A good spread is put on afterwards as well by the club;)

Cheers for the heads up.

I'll try to register on line, if not, its only €25 on the day, even thats a good deal if there is a medal and grub at the end. :-)

I'll probably take your advice and take the uphills at an eay pace. Its not like it's a short hill that will be over quickly, its dragged out a bit. Just hope the few miles of downhill doesnt wreck the knees.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

tisnotover wrote: »

The way I ran it last year was to go out steady+pick up time in 2nd half, and that will be the plan again this year. A tough enough course, medals for all that finish+to my mind 20euro for pre-entry is great value.

A good spread is put on afterwards as well by the club;)

I wasn't aware of the hills before I ran it last year :o (rookie mistake) and psychologically they wore me down. Knowing about them beforehand is a huge leg up. The steep down hill section just after Grenagh is difficult to run as well :(.
    You should keep something in reserve as the real race should begin then.

+1 for the spread afterwards ;).

Also at the finish line (1/2 km to grub) there are copious amounts of bananas, mars bars, water & sports drinks :).

Medals are OK, but are not marked with the year of the event :((the casing in which the medals are presented are marked with the year but this scrathes off quite easily).

My DCM training is going really well and I am looking forward to this race as I have not entered many races over the past 3 months.
    Didn't do myself justice last year and will certainly aim to be finishing the race with some modicum of dignity on Sundat week :o!
    As yet I haven't decided whether or not I'll race it or just incorporate it into my DCM training schedule (conveniently, 13 miles is scheduled for that weekend!). Most probably I'll be conservative for first 7 -8 miles (8:00min/mile) and then step it uip a notch for the final 5 or 6 miles (7:30/mile), that's one plan anyway. Or I might get caught up in the racing bug on the day and attempt a PB (currently sitting at 1:42.18). Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

entered this yesterday,really enjoyed this last year,my first year of running so every race was new to me.struggled along the first two miles before i hit a rhythm,had been warned about the hills and just in case you didn't realise a steward at the bottom of the hill had a nice welcome for you "two miles uphill now".don't like the downhill section as it's very sharp but once on level ground i got back going again.finihed in 1:39:05 which set me up nicely in my head for dublin.hopefully i'll improve a little to give me a boost for this year also.

forecast for next Sunday isn't looking too bad ;)

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Cork/Cork/long.html

forecast for next Sunday isn't looking too bad ;)

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Cork/Cork/long.html

Excellent, as long as it's not too warm. Just waiting for the race number to arrive in the post now. Will have to drive the route on Saturday to see what I'm getting myself into. I knew I should have spent a bit more time on hill work. I cant even wear my heellys, cos I'll only end up rolling back downhill. :P

got my race number in post yesterday, you should get it today...

those heelys would be lethal, as eliwallach was saying it is a fair steep drop in altitude once ya get over the hill in Grenagh!?! ;)

don't mind if its wet, but sun/heat would be a big no-no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

got my race number as well :)

Now for the hills :eek:

Looking forward to this one and hopefully some nice weather...

Conversation I've just had
    me "you know the Blarney half is on this Sunday?"
    Zuppylurk "no, you're resting"

Conversation I've just had
    me "you know the Blarney half is on this Sunday?"
    Zuppylurk "no, you're resting"

lol. its like an addiction.

I'm got my number today, 211. Not planning any PB on this, but will use the hills as a training session for the climbs for the mooathon in Donegal in a couple of weeks time. It's the first year they are having a full 26.2, but there is no map available yet. I believe there are more ups and downs for the Mooathon then a good night in Copperface Jacks! :eek:

preview now up on "Running in Cork" website:
    http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/

forecast still looks good, we may need those water stations ;)

everytime I look at that blog, I get robinph's "babbes" photo and burst out laughing. It never gets old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

preview now up on "Running in Cork" website:
    http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/

forecast still looks good, we may need those water stations ;)

Forecast looks like 16-18 deg, clear skies, around the time of the race....ideal conditions. Light ENE cross wind which while being no help should be no hindrance either.....I had been hoping though for a nice wind at our backs though to push us up the hill.

Forecast looks good there Gringo, doesn't look like there'll be much wind at all and it'll be sunny but not too warm...

My race number is #246 by the way, hope to see some of ye up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I'm looking forward to this, my first ever half mara. If anyone's interested, my number is 15 and I'll be wearing an Eagle AC vest - I'll shout hello as you pass me lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

So, how did everyone get on in this? I'm ashamed to say I DNF'd due to a very bad knee injury. The thing that got me though was having to wait 30 minutes for the damned ambulance to arrive, from being held up by the slow runners... :mad: I suppose the only good thing about it was I got my pick of food when I arrived back at race HQ - those choccy eclairs were bloody lovely! :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

colblimp wrote: »
    So, how did everyone get on in this? I'm ashamed to say I DNF'd due to a very bad knee injury. The thing that got me though was having to wait 30 minutes for the damned ambulance to arrive, from being held up by the slow runners... :mad: I suppose the only good thing about it was I got my pick of food when I arrived back at race HQ - those choccy eclairs were bloody lovely! :D:p

Sorry to hear that I spotted you as I went along and hoped you had only stopped waiting for someone hope the knee improves quickly.

I enjoyed the day and the choccy eclairs :D tasty tasty tasty..

It was a very hot day and my first time doing this distance and finished
    in 1:47 so happy with that.

Gave the Boards Ac singlet a good test and as with reviews of Pearl I. gear it came through with flying blue colours.

This was a tough but very well run race, friendly and a challenging especially with the sunshine.

Was good to meet one or two boardsies and there was a least two Boards AC singlets on show

Well done to Eli on a great time

I'll be back ;)

• Advertisement

results are now up at on the st finbarrs ac website.

had a good race and got my target time of 1:27:13, heat was tough though!

Race report here on my log:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055589386&page=12

sorry to hear about the DNF colblimp, hope the knee heals up soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

i finished today in 1:38:33. found the going hard in the heat,the four mile warm up might have been a bit too much.still half a minute faster than last year but was hoping for a lot better.think i'll have to rethink my marathon target.will wait till after cork to cobh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Nightowl84

Cork Half Marathon 13th September

So i've just recently moved down to Cork to do my masters and last week I heard about this race. I had intended upon doing the DCM '09 but I got injured near the end of our soccer season and had to give that up( see abandoned training log:D).

After slowly building up my runs (to about 8/9 mile max) I decided to give this race a go. The last and only other half marathon i've done is Connemara this year which I did in around 2.06.??.

The weather was ridiculously good for this time of year and the flashbacks from the Cork marathon were starting to happen (the only 2 times i've ever run in Cork its +20 degrees:confused:)

The race started pretty much bang on time and there was a good atmosphere at the beginning. John Buckley was at the start line to send us on our way. I didn't really know much about the course beforehand except a vague idea about elevation. Normally it takes me a few miles to settle in but I felt pretty good from the beginning. The first couple of miles passed nicely and then there were a few climbs to contend with. I remember turning one corner in particular and muttering out some things that should not be repeated;)

Anyway, what goes up should come down and we had the nicest ever down hill, it was lovely. After around the 9/10 mile mark I think the hard work was done. A big shout out to the guy at the side of the road around the 3 and 10 mile mark who had the trad music blaring from his car, that seriously helped lift my spirit. My main aim before the race was just to get around but mid way through I knew I could dip below my previous time. My watch gave me 1.58.09 which I was delighted with.

I must say that I really enjoyed the run today, a great route, very well organised and I'll defo be back next year.

I had a great time too. Got running beside a girl called Jackie, kept pace together but couldnt keep up for the 'ascent' up to the church, but when it was time for the downhill, I sprinted all the way to the water station at the 7m mark, passing her again. Each time we passed each other we slagged each other off, and had a bit of craic to boost the spirit. I ran out of steam about 10M but got my second wind about 12M and lashed into the last mile. Finished in 1:53:48 and ahead of Jackie :P

The finish line crept up fairly quickly once you turned the corner, although is was hard to tell exactly where it was. I wasnt sure if I passed over it.

The hills were perfect practice for the Mooathon. Nice medal, but now I have to go out and bu a ribbon, so I can hang it with the rest of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭runsalot

Had an enjoyable time at it.It was a testing course and warm in spots.I think we were lucky with the shade from the trees on the course.Would like to do it again.
    That guy with the car at the 3/10 mile mark with the Trad music was a character and helped ease the suffering a little.
    Came in 2nd 71:16.It was a good test as im gearing up for the New York City Marathon in Nov and thats not flat either by all accounts.

Here is my experience of Blarney (lifted from my training log):

Hal Higdon wanted 13 miles this weekend and St. Finbarr's AC duly obliged with their annual staging of the Blarney Half Marathon.
    Last years event was a rain-athon and made for a miserable 13.1 miles for me in which I clocked 01:50.51; this year however the sun came out to play. Talking to a few at the start line and comparisons were being made with the weather for the Cork City Marathon - surely not in the middle of Sept?
    Met Blind Hurler at the start line fully decked out in Boards AC singlet and factor 20.
    We were set off pretty much on time and with afield a 550 it didn't take long to get a bit of running space (although a road race would not be complete without the usual slow runners whon start up near the front).
    Caught up with Condo131 during the first mile and exchanged pleasantaries - I said it probably wasn't a day for a PB, he said it was, however, a good day for a PW frown.gif.
    First mile in 7:30 and I was feeling good but was mindful of the hills still before us. Mile 2 in 7:30 again. The sun was really beating down on us now and for mile 3 we were exposed to the full heat of the sun. Thankfully we were back under shade for the next couple of miles. Water was provided in plastic cups ergo 20% in your mouth and 80% over your face and down your front, which probably wasn't a bad thing today.Small uphill for the second half of mile 3 saw the pace drop back to 7:36/mile. Beforehane I was in 2 minds whether to run this as a training race or to go for a PB - after the first 3 miles went so well I decided to maintain the pace as best I could over the next hilly section and then "make hay" over the downhill section. The uphill section began in earnest from mile 4.5 to 6.5. It really was relentless. Just keep the head down and count 100 paces and have a look up. Head down again and count another 100 paces, look up.......
    Finally the village of Grenagh, and a steep downhill section. Last year I went "cracked" on this section and passed loads of runners, and ultimately paid the price later frown.gif. Today was a time for cool heads. Condo131 had passed me around mile 4 and now I found him just in front of me cleverly running the shortest route possible from bend-to-bend, I follwed him and enjoyed the downhill without going too crazy.
    There was a long section between mile 7 and mile 9 along a very quiet road during which I upped the pace a little and felt good. In my mind I was doing some rapid calculations and felt I was in good enough shape to beat my Current PB of 01:42.18 - set in Bantry in May, but this was a great chance for me to beat 01:40.00. All my calculations pointed to a 01:39.xx finish.
    Just after mile 9 we looped back onto the first 4 miles of the route. I hadn't remembered all of this section being downhill on the way out(!) as I now found myself climbling slightly under the shade of the trees. I was still picking-off some runners along this section. The exposed section Mile 11 to mile 12 was tough and the sun was both hot and in our eyes.
    Mile 12 was dig-in time. My legs were feeling it a bit now. The lead car (now finished with the business end of the race) had returned to the course and drove just in front of me - this was a first! At the mile 12 marker the lead-car clock read 01:31.xx - a sub 01:40 was still on pacman.gif. The last mile was tough and long. Still on target though - it was then that I remembered to 0.1mile at the end of the race. All calculations wrong and all bets off frown.gif. To compound matters there was a nasty sting in the tail of the Blarney Half Marathon with a sharp sapping uphill just before the finish line, so any attempted sprint finish was ended before it could begin.
    Crossed the line in 01:40.20 to record a PB and you've gotta be happy any day you register a PB, even if the sub 01:40 had eluded me.
    Copious amounts of sports drinks and bananas at finish line. Medal was unceremoniously dumped into my hand too. More tea & grub back at race HQ. But the day was just too hot and nice to be sitting around drinking tea cool.gif.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happy_73

hey eliwallach, sent you PM re lunchtime runs.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Well done everyone who ran esp my main man Aimann who has legs of steel the amount of halfs and full marathons he is doing:)

• Advertisement

happy_73 wrote: »
    hey eliwallach, sent you PM re lunchtime runs.

S

Thanks Happy73 :).
    Have replied via PM.

Advertisement