Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Half Marathon

Options
  • 16-08-2009 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Just kicking off the thread for the race in three weeks. Can anybody describe the course or is there a map my run route available? Predictions for the winners, team prizes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Ran it before but also the Letterkenny one. Bit of a blur as they blend into one but im pretty sure the course was hilly for the first few miles and hard. Not sure if its the same course but no pain no gain!
    Any idea on start time.? Mite drive up on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Who'll be racing, will Boit still be about. I'd love to see Barry Minnock challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

If there is money going there will be boit im sure.....

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Would anyone know the course for the national half marathon? Think it is the same as route used 2 years ago, but I don't know what that was ...

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

See the start time is 12 noon this sunday. Still can't find any maps online but does anybody know the roads that the course follows?

Woodie’s DIY/AAI Half Marathon Championships

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

violator13 wrote: »
    If there is money going there will be boit im sure.....

No money at National track and he ran there:P

Then again, if you could run 10k in 27 mins you might feel each time you run you might as well see can you pick up a bit of cash;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭brutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Tingle wrote: »
    No money at National track and he ran there:P

Then again, if you could run 10k in 27 mins you might feel each time you run you might as well see can you pick up a bit of cash;)

I agree. If I was that good and a full-time athlete (professional) I would have a strong bias towards cash prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Am really looking forward to this one. It's been ages since I ran a half marathon. Ran the same route a few years ago for the same event and it was 'undulating' but fair. Gradual downhill to the finish as far as I remember. With so many over-priced races around it's always great to get a really good quality half-marathon with good organisation and great competition for only Euro 15.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Sure Baz it'll just be a blur to you anyway :) Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Very short race for you Mick :D

It's all relative I suppose. Am looking forward to getting back to normality for a while. Will leave the long stuff alone now 'til next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ran this race in Stanolar - probably 12 - 13 yrs ago, nice course, the only flat section is the track at the end :D, I can remember it rained and pulling my hamstring in 200m sprint at the end between myself and 2 others.

Give map above, this would logically be the full route:
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/ballybofey/972125198433944668

cool - thanks for that. how many time do we think the "show elevation" will be used before sunday? seems flat enough tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

I agree about Boit being a pro runner an if i was him id be picking up the cash.In any other sport does anyone begruge Harrington for winning 2million for a gold tournament?
    I thin because he isn't from Ireland more is made of this.
    regards to the national 10m im sure he recieved a cash sum from his club for winning.
    anyway getting of the subject:
    contenders:Boit should win,Mulvey,Minnock,cian Mcloughlin???
    Brian Maher....few others im missing but won't be a fast course by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

emerald007 wrote: »
    cool - thanks for that. how many time do we think the "show elevation" will be used before sunday? seems flat enough tbh.

First thing I did when I hit the link. Not going up myself but I was just interested. I don't know what the roads are like but the elevation suggests a fast enough course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I agree about Boit being a pro runner an if i was him id be picking up the cash.In any other sport does anyone begruge Harrington for winning 2million for a gold tournament?
    I thin because he isn't from Ireland more is made of this.
    regards to the national 10m im sure he recieved a cash sum from his club for winning.
    anyway getting of the subject:
    contenders:Boit should win,Mulvey,Minnock,cian Mcloughlin???
    Brian Maher....few others im missing but won't be a fast course by any means.

Boit's not running - he's doing a 10k in Belfast instead I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/national-half-marathon-2009-2.pdf

Results from today available at the above link. Credit to AAI for getting them up quickly.

1st Joe McAllister
    2nd Gary Murray
    3rd Cian McLoughlin

1st Caitriona Jennings
    2nd Anne Curley
    3rd Lucy Darcy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Bazman in 5th.

68:23.

• Advertisement

A good race yesterday. I thought there was a relatively small turnout - 183 finishers. Ran fairly even spits to 1:16:10 which was a pb but I didn't think it was a particularly fast route. First half was rolling-uphill and second rolling-downhill. Was a bit surprised with the number of bicycles on the route. Some runners seemed to think it was fine to shield their mates from the wind along some sections. In a national champs it shouldn't really happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Bazman in 5th.

68:23.

Super run again by Pauric Mc Kinney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭deadlybuzz

Mick Rice wrote: »
    Some runners seemed to think it was fine to shield their mates from the wind along some sections. In a national champs it shouldn't really happen.

Agreed. On a couple of occasions, I noticed runners getting encouragment and bottles of water from cyclists. These would be runners in top 20 or 30, so going for catergory / team medals. Not sure if this is allowed in a championship? If it's not, then I guess it would be difficult to police.
    Well done on PB, by the way.

The guy in 4th had 2 bikers shielding him from the wind and shouting encouragement at him from mile 7 onwards. Think I would have taken 4th if he hadn't support. It is against the rules and you can lodge a compaint to get someone disqualified, but despite my coach encouraging me to I didn't bother particularly as it would seem like sour grapes. It did help me in a weird sort of way as it encouraged me to try to catch him and as a result got me a time I'm happy with - but it was just so difficult as he always knew his gap.

There were others getting irregular support & drinks etc - there is absolutely no problem there. Support is a regular occurance unfortunately - means playing field is not even, but hey if you can't beat them join them & maybe I'll get support for my next race :)

First few miles were crazy fast for me and it almost killed me off :) Started running at my pace from mile 4 onwards. Certainly wasn't a fast course and so Joe's time is fantastic - he was on fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

shels4ever wrote: »
    Super run again by Pauric Mc Kinney

Yeah, Skinny McKinney, as he is known by his pupils, is still running very well as he approaches 45. He goes through a big pot of lumpy porridge every morning and has five weetabix each evening before his 10 hours sleep. Maith an fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

bazman wrote: »
    The guy in 4th had 2 bikers shielding him from the wind and shouting encouragement at him from mile 7 onwards. Think I would have taken 4th if he hadn't support. It is against the rules and you can lodge a compaint to get someone disqualified, but despite my coach encouraging me to I didn't bother particularly as it would seem like sour grapes. It did help me in a weird sort of way as it encouraged me to try to catch him and as a result got me a time I'm happy with - but it was just so difficult as he always knew his gap.

There were others getting irregular support & drinks etc - there is absolutely no problem there. Support is a regular occurance unfortunately - means playing field is not even, but hey if you can't beat them join them & maybe I'll get support for my next race :)

First few miles were crazy fast for me and it almost killed me off :) Started running at my pace from mile 4 onwards. Certainly wasn't a fast course and so Joe's time is fantastic - he was on fire!

Well done Bazman.
    You should get your club to send a note to the Chairman of Competitions at AAI regarding the illegal assistance given to runners. If noone ever complains officially, nothing will ever change.
    The note wouldn't have to be against any one individual and wouldn't and shouldn't be seen as sour grapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭deadlybuzz

He goes through a big pot of lumpy porridge every morning and has five weetabix each evening before his 10 hours sleep.

The lumps must be the secret. Note for future!:D
    Fair play to him.

I'd agree with bazman (and great run btw) about the bikes, support is fine, but shielding isn't fair. At the start (post the delay for setting the clock), there was some auld fella on a bike on the left hand side of the road, and as we approached i shouted for him to move forward and out of the way, but he just stayed there meaning most runners had to more around him - spanner.

The first 2/3 miles through the town are fine. next four miles along the back road are tough enough, with the slight hills and loose-ish road surface. I kinda died a bit at the 1/2 way mark, when crossan and reid caught up with me. had to dig in for 2 miles to keep with them, but then the long runs kicked in and i managed to pull away as we came back into town. everyone in donegal seems to know gary!. happy enough with the time in the end, but i reckon on a dry day it might be a minute faster for everyone.

Was interesting to see a team excluded from the results because a runner didn't have a singlet, think thats fair enough. national race = club singlet. Why is it only three to score for the 1/2 and marathon, when the national 10km is four to score?

My LOL moment today

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

So turns out the National Half isn't really the place for your debut half-marathon:eek:

Even though I was way out of my league running yesterday, I really enjoy it! I came in very close to my ideal time even though it is was over an hour slower than the winner and i was very close to the end of the pack :o

Everyone i met along the course were very encouraging, even the guy collecting the mile markers was kind enough to wait for me to pass the final marker before chucking it in his trailer :rolleyes:

Can't wait for the Dublin Half though i think i'ill skipping the National Halfs for the foreseeable future!

(from where I was there was no cyclists giving help...only a some very nice people in a black jeep!:D)

• Advertisement

Poppy08 - Thanks for being there...the more the merrier. Well attended races are much more fun for everyone. Don't let anyone else's running limit yours. Hopefully you'll run this race again next year.

Advertisement