Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrogant Atheists

Options
  • 09-08-2009 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

Does anyone else get the impression that all atheists are really arrogant? I totally do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

No.
    Just clear minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Their faith impresses me, when they try to make out they have none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Does anyone else get the impression that all atheists are right? I totally do.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Does anyone else get the impression that all generalisations are really ignorant? I totally do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭thecornerboy

Arrogant how?

To slander a very large group of people who happen to all believe the same thing as arrogant seems quite arrogant to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Some atheists are. So are some religious people. Get over it, most people don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

Hey, it's just my opinion. You can't bash my opinion!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Does anyone else get the impression that all atheists are really arrogant? I totally do.

I could say all god fearing Catholics are really arrogant too
    - BUT I would be totally wrong to assert such a too broad assumption - besides the fact I WOULD BE TOTALLY JUST WRONG.
    I would be stupid, arrogant and ignorant.

Its too easy for some to tar all with the same brush when they can't validate and back up their broad wide ranging tarring.

Oh the sweet Irony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Atheism forum is thataway mister!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Atheists do to tend to be quite smug.

Strange as well is that they like to impart their belief or lack of belief onto others.
    Making others believe what they believe being the hallmark of may religions.

A good atheist is one who doesnt believe in god but doesnt judge others for doing so and most importantly keeps his atheism to himself

snyper wrote: »
    Oh the sweet Irony

See? This is exactly what I mean. He thinks that by saying a fancy-shmancy word like "Irony", I'm not going to understand it. Well, FYI, I do know what it means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I don't have any problems with the beliefs or lack of beliefs, of ahteists but i do think some of them are very arrogant and a bit up their own arse. Dawkins is the best example of this.

Don't get me wrong i think extremely religious people to be just as bad.

We'd probably have a better world without all the -ism's in general.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...A good atheist is one who doesnt believe in god but doesnt judge others for doing so and most importantly keeps his atheism to himself

lol Aye, god forbid such thinking might spread so lets keep it buried and silenced! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Jesus, thats harsh.

Shush, the filth will be down on top of you like a plague of locusts!

Tbh, the majority of Atheists that I've come across are serious fundamentalists, they're as bad as cults with all their conversion tactics, belittling etc., and I do find a lot of them to be up their bottoms. Then again, that particular majority happen to be the same age as me and have seemingly just hopped on the band wagon. I've no problem with people believing whatever they want to believe but just don't shove it down my throat. Hell, I'd say the same if someone was b*tching about Jehovah's going by my own encounters.

And for those of you getting worked up over "sweeping generalisations" lighten up and give this thread a ganders :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There are no atheists in a lifeboat .

Amen !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Oh dear, I actually really hope you're just trolling badly

See? This is exactly what I mean. He thinks that by saying a fancy-shmancy word like "Irony", I'm not going to understand it. Well, FYI, I do know what it means.

Irony is a fancy word? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Indubitably so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don't have any problems with the beliefs or lack of beliefs, of ahteists but i do think some of them are very arrogant and a bit up their own arse. Dawkins is the best example of this.

Don't get me wrong i think extremely religious people to be just as bad.

We'd probably have a better world without all the -ism's in general.

What about gism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

to creationists....

sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Atheism has become hard-line thanks to that wanker Dawkins

he's like the Jesus of atheism, which is ironic really

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

A good atheist is one who doesnt believe in god but doesnt judge others for doing so and most importantly keeps his atheism to himself

Most atheists do all of the above to be honest. Just like religious folk.

orestes wrote: »
    Indubitably so

*scrambles to online dictionary*

*scrambles to online dictionary*

ha what an idiot

Atheism has become hard-line thanks to that wanker Dawkins

he's like the Jesus of atheism, which is ironic really

Yea, i used to like what dawkins had to say until i realised he seems more on an anti religious crusade rather than dealing with scientific theory

ha what an idiot

2 doses of irony in one thread.

Regards

Kettle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

It's a perfectly cromulent word :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ALL of them, how many have you met? I don't know the religious beliefs of most people I know.
    Aodan83 wrote: »
    Some atheists are. So are some religious people.
    +1
    Atheists do to tend to be quite smug.

Strange as well is that they like to impart their belief or lack of belief onto others.
    Then the same could be said of religious people or vegans or vegetarians. The only reason you know they are of some "group" is because they are banging on about it all day in work and trying to convert you.
    And the same could be said of any other "group". And the quotes so far should probably have been
    Does anybody find arrogant/smug atheists to be arrogant/smug? i.e. they are just smug/arrogant people in the first place, who just so happen to be in a group so you become prejudiced against the whole group. You would well have met hundreds of atheists and be none the wiser.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement