Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Thread (Read before asking what board/suit etc.)

Options
  • 15-12-2008 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

First Wetsuit

So you've decided you want to take up surfing. Due to our lovely weather here in Ireland the water is fairly cold all year around so there might only be a handful of days a year when the water is warm enough to surf in just shorts. Therefore you will need a wetsuit.

How Wetsuits Work
    Wetsuits are made of a flexible material called neoprene, which allows a very thin layer of water between your suit and your skin suit. This water is warmed up by your body and the insulation provided by the neoprene keeps you warm. Obviously, it is important that as little water as possible gets into the suit and cold water is not constantly flushing through. This is why wetsuits made to fit very tightly all over - a loose wetsuit simply won't work.

What do the measurements mean ?
    The two most common types of of suit measurement you will see are 3/2 mm 5/3 mm. The first digit represents the suits torso thickness and the second digit represents the suits limb thickness.

So, a 5/3 mm suit has a torso thickness of 5 mm and a limb thickness of 3 mm.

A lot of people who surf will have both a 3/2 and a 5/3 suit. The thinner suit for summer wear and the thicker for winter wear.

When you are starting out however it is recommended that you buy just the one 5/3 suit and this will do you all year around (due to our low water temperature). You can expand/change as you progress.

Sizing
    Golden Rule: Never, ever buy a wetsuit without trying it on.

Ensure that the suit is practically skin tight but your movement is not restricted at the same time. Stretch a bit while you are wearing it, ensure it is comfortable.

Sizes can vary between makes and also between types (i.e - A Ripcurl Size Large is not necessarily the same as an Alder Size large and an Alder Soul Size Large might be a little looser than an Alder Stealth size large).

Wetsuit Care
    With good care your suit can last you a couple of seasons. Be forewarned though, your wetsuit will stink to high heavens but this can be lessened by using proper after-use care.

After use clean your suit in fresh water. You can add wetsuit shampoos or very small measures of milton to the water if you so wish.

After washing hand the suit on a wide coat hanger (using narrow wire hangers may stretch/damage the suit) in a safe area out of direct sunlight.

Why is my neck so red ?
    A common issue that people find is that their neck gets chaffed raw by the neck of the wetsuit. This can be remedied by using a lubricant (vaseline/gasoline based lubricants are not generally recommended as they can eat away at the neoprene of the suit) around the neck area of by wearing a high neck rash vest under the wetsuit.

Hoods/Gloves/Booties and other accessories
    With the water being so cold here during the winter months additional accessories may be required to keep warm.

A hood is also helpful in preventing Surfers Ear in our colder waters.

Some extra details about wetsuit seam types and closures can be found in this FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

First Surfboard

Surfboard Materials & Construction
    There are four main types of surfboards -
    (1) Softtop/Foamer
    Large board with a deck made from spongy foam. Almost every surf school will give these to a beginner taking a lesson. Very large and buoyant so makes it good for learning on but not much else.

(2) Plastic
    Varying sizes and shapes can be found in the plastic variety. Quite buoyant boards and take a serious beating so are good for beginners (coupled with the fact that they are quite cheap), a little "sticky" in the water for paddling and turning.

(3) Epoxy
    Again varying range of size and shapes, more buoyant than the plastic generally and easier paddling and turning. Slightly more expensive than the plastic variety and take damage easier, care must be taken handling these.

(4) Fibreglass
    Yet again varying range of size and shapes, much more buoyant than the plastic and slightly more bouyant than the expoy. Probably the most expensive variety and again take damage easily, care must be taken handling these also.

Parts of the Surfboard
    A Handy guide with illustrations from surfing-waves.com

Types of Surfboards
    Nice roll-over guide with pictures from surfingguide.org

Which type is right for me
    This depends on your height and weight really.

As a general rule you would want a board that is at least one foot taller than you to start out with, the bigger the board is the easier your pop-up will be generally.

For a person of average weight at 6 Foot, they would not want to consider a board less than 7' 2" but might even want to move towards a 7' 10" for heavier folks the 7' 10" is the way to go.

Plastic is a good choice for a beginner board. You can pick one up quite cheap second hand and they have a high resale value. They can also take a huge bashing.

Feel free to start a thread asking more specifics.

Misc. Details

Waxing A Surfboard
    Good Instructional Video - From Mr. Zog's

The brand of wax you use is up to you but for Irish waters its suggested that the wax is Cold water wax or at the least Cool Water wax.

Removing Wax From A Surfboard
    There are a million and one ways to do this and everyone seems to have their wn techniques for it. Everything from stripping from standard using an old credit card to pouring a kettle of boiling water over it (please, please don't use this method).

Personally I leave the board somewhere warm in a room with the heating on, then take it out and strip off the wax using the back of a wax comb while its still warm. For the residue left a friend of mine taught me to use WD-40, strange I know, but it seems to work.

Theres a load of specific cleaners out there that seem to work but I don't feel them neseccary. Some people use turps and white spirits for this too.

Another method to remove the residue is to use a pickle, haven't tried it myself but have heard some people swear by them.

Anyway most of it is trial and error to find what works for you, but as a general rule don't expose the board to high temperatures to try melt the wax, it can do more damage than good, such as lifting the laminate off your board or cause surface "bubbling".

All About Leashes
    Guide to Leashes from surfing-waves.com

Attaching a Leash
    Decent Guide from surfing-waves.com

Transporting Your Surfboard
    Unless you have a van or other large transporter you will most likely require a roof rack to transport you surfboard.

There are two main types of Roof Rack -
    (1) Soft Rack
    This type of rack is cheap but cannot be left on a car full time. They are just put onto the car when you want to transport your board and taken off again when done. The Straps can sometimes damage the rubber seals of the car doors if not put on correctly leading to leaky doors in rainy weather.

(2) Hard Rack
    More sturdy than the soft rack but a more permanent fixture on your car. Padding should be placed between the rack and your boards to prevent damage if not provided already by the rack.

Attaching a Board to a Roof rack
    Excellent PDF (Provided by User: TheTubes)

Noisy Straps Issue
    Sometimes the straps can catch the wind and make it sound like you are travelling inside a giant hairdryer. To prevent this put a twist or two in your rack straps before securing.

Water Safety & Surf Etiquette
    Safety

If you are starting surfing have a lesson at an ISA Approved School. Here you will be introduced to the sport in a safe environment.

Do not attempt surfing unless you can swim.

Never surf alone. Do not enter the water as dusk is approaching or if you have been drinking alcohol.

Always let somebody on land know where you have gone and when you will return.

Check the weather and tides before you paddle out. Learn to observe the ocean so you can identify rips, wind changes and other hazards.

If you are unfamiliar with a break check with local surfers or other water users.

Ensure the waves you are surfing are of a size and power suitable to your ability. Do not get too confident. Stick to beaches until you become an experienced surfer.

Make sure your equipment, especially your leash is in good order. Remember it is much easier to spot a brightly coloured surfboard or wetsuit at sea in the event of you requiring rescuing. Consider other safety equipment.

If you find yourself in difficulty it is important to stay calm and always stay with your board.

If you get caught in a rip do not try to paddle against it, paddle across it.

When you “wipeout” do not come to the surface too soon and when you do come to the surface protect your head with your arms.

Always check behind you for other water users before abandoning your surfboard to dive under a wave.

Always respect our rescue services. Should you see a surfer in difficulty in the water DON’T DELAY phone 112 or 999 and ask for the Coast Guard. Even the most experienced surfer may at some time require assistance. Every surfer should obtain first aid and water safety training.

Basic Etiquette

Never “drop in” on another surfer. “Dropping in” is taking off on a wave in front of another surfer who has right of way.

A surfer riding a wave has priority over a surfer paddling out. It is the responsibility of the surfer paddling out to avoid collision. When paddling out back you must never obstruct someone else who is up and riding. Either paddle wide of the wave breaking area or into the white water. This allows the surfer who is up and riding to continue without having to dodge you. (However if the situation arises where a collision is inevitable the surfer riding the wave has the manoeuvrability to avoid the collision. There is no justification for running over another surfer.)

Learn to respect the ‘line up’ an informal line of surfers, particular at point and reef breaks where each surfer waits there turn with the surfer whose turn it is next sitting deepest. The line up can break down if one or more surfers consistently paddle inside those surfers waiting their turn. Such behaviour will cause the ‘line up’ to break down turning the session into a free for all

Beach breaks tend to feature multi breaks with several take off areas therefore the more waves for everyone but even at beach breaks the line-up exists at each of the various pecks along the beach.

If you are surfing a peak where you have an option to go right or left you must communicate with other surfers in the line up your preferred direction to avoid ‘drop ins’ and unridden waves. At some breaks you may be able to paddle out into a position that gives immediate access to the inside take off position you should not use this artificial positioning to jump the queue. Doing this poor etiquette and will lead to bad feeling among fellow surfers, instead either let the surfers already sitting and waiting to take the waves they want until the line up is clear, or paddle wide to the outside and move into position along with everyone else.

Be aware of other water users and always show respect regardless of craft. Above all, keep a good attitude, be friendly and apologize if you make a mistake.

The above information has been taken from the Irish Surfing Association Website

General Safety
    Car Keys
    Where to store your car keys while surfing - a hotly debated topic.

While some surfers still hide their keys somewhere before heading into the water this is becoming a lot less common in recent times with the worry of car theft and break-ins, particularly in areas where the car parks are quite remote.

For those of us who want something a little more safe there are two main options -
    (1) Keypod/Safebox
    A heavy duty locking combination box that should be attached to some sturdy part of your car so it cant be easily removed. I use one of these myself and lock it to the towbar.
    Pro's -
    Quick and easy to use
    Quite Cheap (Approx E30)
    Cons -
    Only a 4 digit code so if someone really wants to open it they could cycle through the combinations over the course of a few hours

(2) Non Electronic Keys
    Get a second copy of your key cut (non electronic copy if you have a fob) and take it into the water with you. Either loop it onto your leash, use the pocket on some leashes/wetsuits or a bubbleloc rash vest (supposedly good enough to use electronic keys in)
    Pro's -
    Cheaper than Keypod
    If you loose it you'll be able to get someone to come with a spare
    Cons -
    Some models of cars can be difficult to get a non electronic key cut for (VW in particular I had issues with)

Obviously general car safety should be taken into account also -
    Keep all valuables out of sight
    Keep clothing out of sight (could indicate a wallet left in jeans etc)
    A good car alarm is an excellent deterrant if you have one

Forecasting & Swell Charts
    Magic Seaweed - http://magicseaweed.com

Data buoy data- https://www.marine.ie/home/publicationsdata/data/buoys/

Data Buoy & Local Data- https://www.marine.ie/home/publicationsdata/data/IMOS/

Locations, optimal conditions & forecast-
    http://www.surf-forecast.com/

Atlantic Pressure Charts-
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/surface_pressure.html

Thanks to Kell for the above links

Proposed layout for the beginner sticky mentioned in other thread(s) if anyone has any info that they feel should be added or notice typos, conflicting info, bad information etc please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Nice sticky. Was badly needed and some good info in the above posts. /applauds C-13

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭imaleper

I would disagree with the beginner surfboards section, but meh

Well put up what you think should be in it then and we can add it in. As I said it was only a first draft and open to updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

gj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭imaleper

Ok well I just think that too often people buy long boards, when in fact they are able for much shorter boards! The progression timeline gets exponentially longer when a Natural surf is bought above a Mini-mal, because they are awkardly large in the water and less manouverable when surfing too. This leads to a belief that it is themselves that is the problem, not the board... Which 90% of the time is not true!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ben bennett

have to disaggree with last post, big boards give you the chance to get lots of waves and work on the pop up early on. However what also happens is people get away with popping up wrong and can pick up bad habbits. To progress people need to know the basics right even if they cant do them yet and work on them on the longer boards, they then progress much quicker. What happens to much is someone who kind of knows what their doing teaches the newbie and basically pass on their own bad habbits.

Later on often as not its the surfers poor technique that holds him back rather then the board, you put any board bic or not in the hands of the right surfer and they will throw it around like you wont believe.

as for having a board roughly one foot taller than yourself, not the way to go again you need to consider heaight, weight, thickness of board, volume, ability of surfer and how often they surf. Shops often forget the last to and end up selling you something you spend 6 months just trying to stand on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

Excellent guide, I'm a beginner and I found some useful infor here, especially regarding etiquette. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

The above advice concerning the size of a board that should be purchased re. that person's height and/or weight is very misleading. More accurate info is needed here as it seems to be causing a lot of confusion and possibly leading to the selection of unsuitable equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Hello

Could you also share what locks and/or devices you use for car keys? If it is your secret, just don't post.

Is there anything secure so I could leave the key "locked" to the car?

ThOnda wrote: »
    Hello

Could you also share what locks and/or devices you use for car keys? If it is your secret, just don't post.

Is there anything secure so I could leave the key "locked" to the car?

Small section added into post 4 regarding this, anyone has any more ideas fire away or feel free to contribute yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Really useful thread, just back from OZ where I was in Margaret river and was bodyboarding, use to body board in Cottosloe as a kid and it was a free for all, always wondered about wave etiquette and now I know why the surfer was so pissed off beside me and kept shouting as I paddled in on his wave, feel like a bit of an idiot now, ah well, thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

great sticky, thanks!
    Id say im an "intermediate", been surfing hundreds of times, went to california this summer too. but Iv only ever surfed on foam boards.
    If i was to buy a board would you recommend me gettin one that is good for beginners?
    toodles

• Registered Users Posts: 36 unluckyforsome

emzolita wrote: »
    great sticky, thanks!
    Id say im an "intermediate", been surfing hundreds of times, went to california this summer too. but Iv only ever surfed on foam boards.
    If i was to buy a board would you recommend me gettin one that is good for beginners?
    toodles

I wouldn't say you're an intermediate if you've only been surfing foam boards, they are fine for learning on but using one hundreds of times probably held you back as a surfer quite significantly.

Rent a 'hardboard' a couple times to get a feel for one and it'll give you a better idea of what you'll want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Ok, well I am definitely a beginner. I have done a few group lessons in Lahinch. Got the hang of it pretty quick on the board provided by the instructors. I'd say if I practiced I'd be able to surf ok. I am currently looking for a new board for a beginner. I see weight, height & frequency of use etc comes into it. There seems to be Conflicting information on the matter.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Deedsie wrote: »
    Ok, well I am definitely a beginner. I have done a few group lessons in Lahinch. Got the hang of it pretty quick on the board provided by the instructors. I'd say if I practiced I'd be able to surf ok. I am currently looking for a new board for a beginner. I see weight, height & frequency of use etc comes into it. There seems to be Conflicting information on the matter.

I bought a 7"9 bic when I started 2 years ago and it's done me fine so far, looking into getting a 9ft+ longboard now, there's lads on here who know better than me but I'd say the bics are grand for getting the hang of the basics but its probably holding me back now more than anything. I say buy a board you'll always use even when you get good, you'll outgrow a bic quickly but if you buy a proper longboard you'll always use it and will be good to learn on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenisme

Hi there,

I am new to surfing but really like it, and as we are living in donegal for the next while we've decided to go surfing as much as possible while we are here.

I was thinking of buying a wetsuit as after about 10 times wearing it, it would cost the same as renting it.

I was thinking of buying a 5/3 or a 5/4/3 wetsuit as i get very cold, the water here is very cold and i would like to use it in october and november.

I know this is a big ask but I was wondering would someone be able to give me some advice on which one is best,

I have looked into glued and blind stitching, neopreme etc but i dont really know which one would be best of the 5.

The Rip Curl Dawn Patrol 5/3 Ladies Winter Wetsuit 2010 has "the ultimate in super stretch neoprene, Elastomax3 is more flexible, warmer and lighter and is exclusive to Rip Curl. Includes thermal chest & kidney barrier for extra warmth. Glued & Blindstitched - Maximum seam stretch and strength with zero water penetration.
    3/4 Grid-Loc Zip - For minimal water leakage and increased flexibility in the back.
    Seamless Shoulder Panel - For unrestricted flexibility. S-Flex Knees - Highly durable & flexible. Critically Taped - Junctions and stress areas add strength and durability to seams. Adjustable Collar - Fully adjustable collar to seal the neck and prevent water flushes"

Billabong Synergy 5/4/3mm with Free Hood Steamer Wetsuit 2010 has "The Synergy for 2012 features even more of the new ZG300 zero gravity superflex neoprene around the lower section of the wetsuit, making this suit incredibly flexible for a winter wetsuit at this price!
    Furnace lining - The front of the suit is lined with a new super quick drying, heat retaining furnace lining to keep you core area toasty and warm.

Glide Skin Collar
    Soft subtle collar seal, water tight comfort.

Strategic Paddle Zones.
    Strategically placed under arm panels to eliminate chafing and maximum flexibility for paddling. Also around the lower leg and bum for 2012! Superflex Knee Pads. Abrasion resistant 3D moulded knee pads for durability and comfort. Drymax Zip. Water resistant zip, combined with internal overlapping zip flaps creating a more water tight closure system. Seamless Butt Panel
    Eliminates riding up and increases flexibility."

Billabong Ladies Launch 5/4/3mm GBS NEW 2011 has "The new 4mm Launch Features Airlite Superflex G3 Undersleeve. GBS construction Chafe free strategic seam placement Lycra Collar Facing Key loop

Features:
    GBS Stitching - keeps the water out which keeps you warmer for longer! Airlite Superflex G3 Undersleeve. Flat lock Stitch construction. Chafe free strategic seam placement. Lycra Collar Facing. Key loop"

Gul Response 5/4/3mm Back Zip Steamer Wetsuit RE1229 2011 "has X Flex super stretch arm & shoulder panels for flexibility & freedom of movement. D Flex lower body panels for durability Non petroleum based neoprene Blindstitched & critical internal liquid seaming for 100% water seal, flexibility & warmth. G Flex tape reinforced leg & crotch seams. Tech neck single layer seal Dura skin chest & back print to prevent wind chill Titanium 2 lined neoprene reflects the heat back in Powertex knees for flexibility & durability YKK zip with metal puller."

My problem is i dont understand which parts are better then what. I've these suits on british websites for about £100, i assume thats a good price for what i am getting but i cant decide which.

I really appreicate any help you can give me,

Thanks so much

Lauren

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hi Lauren

Out of the ones you've mentioned I'd go for the Rip-Curl, even if it is probably the priciest one. Billabong will fall apart in no time at all. A 5/3 will be grand for October/November time too as the water doesn't really get to it's coldest til a bit after christmas I find. I baught a rip curl 3 years ago and I still use it as my summer suit, I got two winters out of it but a few holes in it now so not great for winter anymore!

I've no experience of Gul wetsuits so I can't really comment on that one. Other brands that are good are Xcel, C-Skins and O'Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Welcome to the forum Lauren. I'd back up everything Mickeroo says and add that C-Skins are probably the best value of the "good" brands that he mentioned. If you don't mind splashing out, an O'Neill suit will add a bit more comfort and flexibility. Don't cheap out too much, buying a very cheap suit is a false economy as you won't feel that it's warm/comfortable/durable enough to use as frequently as a better suit.

Don't let yourself get confused too much by all the different features in different suits; all the good brands feature better neoprene (not too thick, with many air bubbles inside for insulation) and glued seams.

If the cold is still an issue for you then you can augment it with an extra layer underneath (a thermal rash vest) and with good booties, and a hood for the winter.

For the sake of a few extra euros its worth visiting a reputable surf shop so that you can try on a number of suits and get recommendations as to what would suit you best.

Hi Mickeroo,

Thanks so much for getting back to me, its really appreicated.

I was looking into the wetsuits a bit further and i decided between the Rip Curl Dawn Patrol and the Bilabong Synergy, both 5/3mm.

the synergy seemed a small bit better as it had the red thermal fleece lining on the chest and the back piece beside the zip where it catches the water and sends it down through the small mesh stuff at the bum.
    The problem with the synergy is that it is impossible to find it in a size 8 and at about €110.

The dawn Patrol was also very good and for only £99 it seemed like a bargain.
    The Dawn Patrol also had the fleece chest lining, super flex, etc.

The problem with buying it in a surf shop is that there wetsuits tend to be priced at €150 for 5mm wetsuits which is a good bit above my budget, mine is about €110. Although it is a much better idea to be able to try it on and get a better feel to see if its too tight. I got a friend to measure me and the size 8 was the closest size.

I got a good 5mm pair of booties, the gul brand, they were €25 which seemed like a good price. I know that i probably wouldn't need a 5mm but that was all they had in my size at the time. And i have the use of a hood.

Would the Rip Curl Dawn Patrol be seen as a cheap, low standerd wetsuit?

Laurenisme wrote: »
    Hi Mickeroo,

Thanks so much for getting back to me, its really appreicated.

I was looking into the wetsuits a bit further and i decided between the Rip Curl Dawn Patrol and the Bilabong Synergy, both 5/3mm.

the synergy seemed a small bit better as it had the red thermal fleece lining on the chest and the back piece beside the zip where it catches the water and sends it down through the small mesh stuff at the bum.
    The problem with the synergy is that it is impossible to find it in a size 8 and at about €110.

The dawn Patrol was also very good and for only £99 it seemed like a bargain.
    The Dawn Patrol also had the fleece chest lining, super flex, etc.

The problem with buying it in a surf shop is that there wetsuits tend to be priced at €150 for 5mm wetsuits which is a good bit above my budget, mine is about €110. Although it is a much better idea to be able to try it on and get a better feel to see if its too tight. I got a friend to measure me and the size 8 was the closest size.

I got a good 5mm pair of booties, the gul brand, they were €25 which seemed like a good price. I know that i probably wouldn't need a 5mm but that was all they had in my size at the time. And i have the use of a hood.

Would the Rip Curl Dawn Patrol be seen as a cheap, low standerd wetsuit?

No problem at all.

The Dawn Patrol is a good winter suit as far as I know, Rip Curl are a pretty reliable brand, I wouldnt get the Billabong if I was you, my friend got one and he's had to send it back to them twice. The dawn patrol should do you grand, it's not the highest end rip curl you can get but it should suit your needs just fine. Be sure to get a hood too, a thermal rash vest might be no harm either, but I wouldn't worry about that until november maybe.

Happy surfing!

I would assume that as wetsuits are better made these days you wouldn't need a rash for the original purpose, to stop rashes/chaffing, are they really now just for extra warmth?

Thanks for the help, guys.

All i have to do now is go practice pop ups so i don't keep falling off the damn board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Laurenisme wrote: »
    I would assume that as wetsuits are better made these days you wouldn't need a rash for the original purpose, to stop rashes/chaffing, are they really now just for extra warmth?

Thanks for the help, guys.

All i have to do now is go practice pop ups so i don't keep falling off the damn board.

Still happens with wetsuits, I get chafing from time to time from the suit. It's a great fit, just one of those things. I wear a rash vest from time to time but better off just lubing up your neck, I'd recommend Body Glide - should be able to get it in most big chemists/sports shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I can only afford 1 wetsuit but plan on surfing all year round, well into November anyway. Should I get 4/3 or 5/3? Surfing at the moment with 4/3 rented suit and it's really warm so I was thinking that a 4/3 might do me all year? Add a rash vest, boots and gloves through winter maybe? Cheers for any advice

IPAM wrote: »
    I can only afford 1 wetsuit but plan on surfing all year round, well into November anyway. Should I get 4/3 or 5/3? Surfing at the moment with 4/3 rented suit and it's really warm so I was thinking that a 4/3 might do me all year? Add a rash vest, boots and gloves through winter maybe? Cheers for any advice

Definitley get a 5/3, you'll be glad of it come winter. I don't think a 4/3 would really cut it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Cheers, hopefully won't be too warm on days like yesterday :)

• Advertisement

IPAM wrote: »
    Cheers, hopefully won't be too warm on days like yesterday :)

No worries

My "summer suit" is a 5/3 but there's a few holes in it, built in coolant system for the hot weather ;)

Advertisement