Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Scene

Options
  • 20-07-2009 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Im new to this forum so Im not sure if this has been done to death already.

What do you consider the greatest scene or scenes in cinema history???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭McGrath5

This from the Shawshank Redemption. Its a few different scene's that relate to each other. One of my Favourite's. Bear in mind if anyone hasn't seen this film before it does contain some spoiler's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

opening battle scene in Gladiator is awesome and the part were Crowe goes Roma Victor gives me shivers like I was just there in the midst of the battle with him killing those barbaric Germans lol

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was just thinking about this the other day:
    Pulp Fiction in the scene between Jules (Jackson) and Ringo (Roth). It's the attitude of Jackson he says, "It's the one that says 'Bad Motha****a'", in such a, "What other one could it possibly be?" way.
    The tension in the scene, especially the first time you saw it, is just incredible. Like the famous scene from goodfellas actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

fartmaster wrote: »
    opening battle scene in Gladiator is awesome and the part were Crowe goes Roma Victor gives me shivers like I was just there in the midst of the battle with him killing those barbaric Germans lol

Its "Roma Vita!" that he shouts, which is also a huge mistake as it means "Rome has been conquered!" That whole scene is full of errors, from the arrows on the ground infront of the barbarians before the Romans have started firing them to the extras laughing as the pretend to hit each other in the wide shots of the battle, seriously watch the bottom of the screen in some parts .

Best scene ever? For me its from Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indy chases the truck on horseback, gets on it, takes over it, gets rid of all the remaining Nazis bar one who batters him , chucks him out the window, he gets dragged behind the truck before climbing back in , chucking said Nazi out himself and then running him over with the truck. All while John Williams' magnificent theme tune is blaring, its the reason we watch movies tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

For me it has to be from Heat: the bank robbery in downtown LA, followed by the shootout in the street. Just the sound of the gunfire is scary, echoing off the skyscrapers.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

The Omaha landings in Saving Private Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Alec Balwin's "pep talk" in Glengarry Glen Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

The great escape ,steve mcqueen:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Death Star trench scene from Star Wars: A New Hope.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Not orginally for me, but its al pacino's speech from any given sunday i could actually kill a kitten after hearing it gets the blood pumping so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Midnight Express. Brad Davis standing in the courtroom giving his speech after finding out his sentence has been increased to 30 years. One of the most moving pieces of cinema history from this tragic actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Close encounters of a third kind when the mothership came up over the mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

For me, V for Vendetta, "god is in the rain"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I won't say greatest because that would just be rediculous. I'll just say great.
    The opening to The Two Towers with Gandalf battling the Balrog was so incredibly epic. I'm a big Tolkien fan so it was extra great.
    The entirety of Apocalypse Now, more importantly the redux. If you're in the right state of mind you just become transfixed.
    I'll try to think of more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm going to go with one from my childhood which I adored as a kid and still try to catch when I see it on today.

The scene was brilliantly done and means a lot to me for nostalgic reasons. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

the balrog scene from the two towers and the joker pencil scene were both amazing
    the omaha scene already mensioned was also classic.

theres tonnes of clips though, johnny depps role as captain sparrow was ace, heath ledger as the joker, brad pitt as benjamin button

id say my favourite ever scene was the entire battle for helms deep in the lord of the rings: the two towers, i just love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

despite the technical inaccuracies, the launch scene in Apollo 13 is 10 minutes of true epic cinema. When getting suited up it seems like a regal coronation, james horner's score complements this scene so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Batty's (Rutger Hauer) death scene in 'Blade Runner':

Quote: "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die".

Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Heres a few i love. Im sure i have loads more but these are the first few that come to mind. There are spoilers in some (especially first 2)

A Time to Kill. Back when Matthew McConaughey acted in decent movies.

Usual Suspects

True Romance

Return of the King ( an unexpected quiet moment in the battle)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

While I like reading responses, i find it difficult to add to these threads. What defines a great scene? Something that can be watched out of context of the film itself? Something cool?

I will add my 2c anyway.

the restaurant scene in The Godfatherwhere Al Pacino "turns". Everything about that scene is world class, the acting, the pacing, the restraint, the score, the SFX.

the infamous knife scene in 12 Angry Men. "you dont really mean that, don't you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Really needs the context of the whole film:

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

I have loads of favourites. Here's one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Brody on the beach in Jaws when the camera zooms in on him after an attack, or his "bigger boat" scene. Could not find the former on youtube

Quint's speech in Jaws

and a Brody vid cuz I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hard one this, theres scenes that I personally love seeing, but not be to everyones taste.

Val kilmer facing off against michael biehn in tombstone

Arnie lowering himself into the pit in T2

Sly killing everything in rambo 4

The lobby scene in the matrix

Too many to right down to be fair :)

I love that shootout in heat though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ZiMZuM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Not sure about these being the geatest scenes of all time but they're my favourites.

In Terminator 2 when Arnie leaves the bar clad in biker gear and 'Bad to the Bone' playing in the background.

In Friday Night Lights, the last drive and when Charlie puts the championship ring on Don's finger. Almost brings me to tears each time.

Collateral - The 'Fever' scene.

Heat - That shootout.

Saving Private Ryan - When Reiban shoots out the flak gun & when Jackson is recieting prayers whilst shooting troops with his rifle.

Taken - Most of the fight scenes. :)

The Bourne Ultimatium - The scene in Victoria Station guiding the reporter along. Just a few scenes out of probably one of my favourite movie trilogies.

We Were Soldiers - When Moore's troops board the helicopters and "Lay me down(Not sure of song)" by Joesph Kilna McKenzie is playing. Great stuff.

Just a few there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

krudler wrote: »
    Its "Roma Vita!" that he shouts, which is also a huge mistake as it means "Rome has been conquered!" That whole scene is full of errors, from the arrows on the ground infront of the barbarians before the Romans have started firing them to the extras laughing as the pretend to hit each other in the wide shots of the battle, seriously watch the bottom of the screen in some parts .

Its sounds like Roma Victor and the time that you have on yer hands (which seems a lot) you need to make better use of ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭goddevil

Here's a few more

Miller's crossing is one of the best works of the Coen brothers and to me, it is the best gangster movie ever. The scene in the woods where Turturro begs Byrne for his life and the scene where Bryne says that he has no heart and shoots turturro are amazing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement