Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend a week on books?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

why dont you just download them of the internet or go to the library????
    20-30 euro sounds like a crazy amount to spend on books alone in a "week"
    where do ya get the time???:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Daragh101 wrote: »
    why dont you just download them of the internet or go to the library????
    20-30 euro sounds like a crazy amount to spend on books alone in a "week"
    where do ya get the time???:rolleyes:

eBooks are pretty expensive online. Just checked one of the online stores and it's actually cheaper to buy the hardback of one particular novel than the eBook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

The library is invaluable to me as I read so much and so quickly, I could read 4-5 books a week! Bookshops are very dangerous places for me, the temptation is something else :pac:

I love Chapters though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I love gadgets but I don't get the e-reader. One of the best things about a book is its simplicity. You don't have to worry about charging it, cracking the screen, wires etc

I've been spending a fiver a week on books recently. The Indo offer ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Just a heads up there, the Book Depository had a system upgrade this morning and now that theyre on-line again they appear to have slashed all their prices.

Example: One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest (Penguin Modern Classics) just over €6. Free delivery as usual.
    Kim (Oxford Worlds Classics) for only €5.50.

John McGahern books under €6, theyre something like €11 in Easons.

The website sometimes times out though, and returns blank content. If you could order some books there youd be laughing.

Unfortunately Im too broke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

In fact these 8 books (picked them because theyre all on my wishlist):

Amongst Women (Paperback) by John McGahern
    The Heart of the Matter (Paperback) by Graham Greene
    The Trial (Paperback) by Franz Kafka
    Fiesta (Paperback) by Ernest Hemingway
    That They May Face the Rising Sun (Paperback) by John McGahern
    Homage to Catalonia (Paperback) by George Orwell
    Kim (Paperback) by Rudyard Kipling
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Paperback) by Ken Kesey

are under €49

I know this is more a Bargain Alerts post but its really more to do with books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭tangerinepuppet

I am a big fan of the Book Depository. I could go for weeks without buying any books, but if I find myself on that site I could easily spend 60 or 70 Euro in the space of five minutes. When in Dublin, Chapters has to be hit, and when in Galway, Charlie Byrne's (I could spend days in that place).

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

The book depository is fantastic, i'd say i roughly spend 100 euro a month on books because of that place.

Love having a book and physically owning it, also seeing the development of your collection over the years and how your taste have altered and matured is very satisfying. E readers should be banned, give me a real book any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

The library is where I get all my books these days - you can order online (50 cents to reserve in Fingal libraries) and they generally have them within a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

I'd love to gets books out of the library but my local library (Dundrum) is ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

The shop 'Chapters' sounds awesome, too far away! :(

Advertisement