Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Poll

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

humanji wrote: »
    I don't think it's a planetary alignment. I think it's solar systems or galaxies or something, will be aligned and some claim that it's going to act like some sort of galactic tuning fork. I'll try and figure out where I heard that.

That exact alignment happens every year on dec 21st. Funny the way they don't mention that.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

No
    no one here can tell the future, or else they wouldnt be posting on this stupid site, they'd be picking up yesterdays lotto jackpot and the like.

nostradamus has it sussed!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

No
    Overblood wrote: »
    That exact alignment happens every year on dec 21st. Funny the way they don't mention that.

not entirely true, there are more things aligning than what usually happens. (seen it on discovery channel:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭sub-x

This end of the world theory of 2012 rates up their with the crazy fundamentalist Christians "End Times" theory,purely nonsense :D

The other side of the theory is based on the idea of a major shift in consciousness which in my opinion is much more plausible,simply because this shift as already begun simply with the increase interest with 2012 as the time draws ever closer.

In the last 10 years we have had similar consciousness shifts as a result of 9/11 and the Y2K.Agreed that Y2K was BS but it did make a lot of people stop and consider how vulnerable we are to and depended on technology as with 9/11 how vulnerable we are to acts of terrorism.

So failing some major event leading up to this date,the only consciousness shift will be the one I have already mentioned.

Ian Xel Lungold-The Mayan Calendar Comes North Part 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I'll have to make sure im out that day :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭sub-x

robbie_998 wrote: »
    I'll have to make sure im out that day :rolleyes:

You more than likely will,buying gifts for love ones for a pagan holiday masquerading as a Christian one ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

not entirely true, there are more things aligning than what usually happens. (seen it on discovery channel:D)

WOW the Discovery Channel. The same channel that has programs about the yeti. What exactly is going to happen with the alignment that's so different to all the other years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

No
    Moderate reasons for world meltdown:

1. The yellowstone volcano: which erupts every 600,000-700,000 years is overdue a eruption. Thats not all...... its a super volcano which can wipe out around 90% of the population.

2. It is believed that the suns destablization is caused by an energy cloud. It is expected by russian geophysicists that it will collide with earth between 2010 to 2020 with devastating consequences

3. We are well overdue a megacatastrophe such as a meteorite hitting the earths surface. In turn the Earth will try to freeze and consequently an ice age will begin wiping out all human life.

4. Mayan calender. A calender so accurate by Mayans based on astronomical observations cannot be ignored. The date of 21/12/2012 is the end of the calender signalling the end of life and the beginning of a new one.

5. The sun is reacting heavily by bursting out huge radiation recored in the last few years. It has been observed that this has not happened before in our life time with record readings of solar activity. The earths magnetic field is weaking all the time and solar radiation will eventually wipe out the worlds population in the future. It not IF but WHEN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

1. The yellowstone volcano: which erupts every 600,000-700,000 years is overdue a eruption. Thats not all...... its a super volcano which can wipe out around 90% of the population.

Source?

2. It is believed that the suns destablization is caused by an energy cloud. It is expected by russian geophysicists that it will collide with earth between 2010 to 2020 with devastating consequences

What is an 'energy cloud'?

3. We are well overdue a megacatastrophe such as a meteorite hitting the earths surface. In turn the Earth will try to freeze and consequently an ice age will begin wiping out all human life.

Wha???

4. Mayan calender. A calender so accurate by Mayans based on astronomical observations cannot be ignored. The date of 21/12/2012 is the end of the calender signalling the end of life and the beginning of a new one.

5. The sun is reacting heavily by bursting out huge radiation recored in the last few years. It has been observed that this has not happened before in our life time with record readings of solar activity. The earths magnetic field is weaking all the time and solar radiation will eventually wipe out the worlds population in the future. It not IF but WHEN.

Reacting to what? (Newtons laws, thermodynamics etc)

By whom using what historical records?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭rameire

just wondering did the myans actually predict it would happen on the 21st 12 2012.
    or did they predict the date to be the winter solstice of 2012.

if the first im wondering did they take into account the change from the Julian calendar to the gregorian calendar.
    thus meaning the end of the calendar is actually the 01st of 01st 2013.
    01/01/13.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

rameire wrote: »
    just wondering did the myans actually predict it would happen on the 21st 12 2012.
    or did they predict the date to be the winter solstice of 2012.

if the first im wondering did they take into account the change from the Julian calendar to the gregorian calendar.
    thus meaning the end of the calendar is actually the 01st of 01st 2013.
    01/01/13.
    The link I posted earlier has a bit about that. I think that the Mayan calender had cycles of X amount of days. That current cycle apparently ends on the 21st or 23rd Dec, taking into acount calender changes and things of that nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭rameire

humanji wrote: »
    The link I posted earlier has a bit about that. I think that the Mayan calender had cycles of X amount of days. That current cycle apparently ends on the 21st or 23rd Dec, taking into acount calender changes and things of that nature.

cheers was trying to google it and couldnt get anything good.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Trail_Blazer

Absolutely not. Why should the world end 12 more years after it was initially supposed to on Y2K?

Blah. It'd be nice for a change if aliens invaded, or something world-wide really DID happen.

"Certainly hope it will. I should could use a vacation from this.... Stupid sh*t, silly sh*t, stupid sh*t. One great big festering neon destruction, etc."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

No
    Absolutely not. Why should the world end 12 more years after it was initially supposed to on Y2K?

Blah. It'd be nice for a change if aliens invaded, or something world-wide really DID happen.

"Certainly hope it will. I should could use a vacation from this.... Stupid sh*t, silly sh*t, stupid sh*t. One great big festering neon destruction, etc."

Thats very toolish of you.:P

Anyway I think Maynard is criticizing groupthink as opposed to any belief system although maybe he equates all belief systems with group think? In that case he's a groupthinker too where there is always more than one. The nature of thought, the way in which you arrived at your conclusions is more important. If you believe in a concept, ideal or religion because everyone else does then you are a groupthinker. If you've arrived at such a state based on your own reasoning then you are not, in the sense of the word as it is generally understood, regardless of whether people believe the same things as you. Whether such reasoning is rationally valid is either a yes, no or yes/no.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Thats very toolish of you.:P

Careful.

Smilies are not accepted as a licence to throw insults around

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I didnt think the whole 2012 thing was about "the end of the world" but more a positive thing? If it is the case it could be any number of things. The whole thing about planet "nubiru" passing every few thousand of years (last time during egyptian times) is more interesting reading. There was a definite change of culture during said Egyptian times. Perhaps it is another "life planet"! I know that this planet was meant to have struck earth a long long time ago cause what is now the moon and asteroid belt. If that is the case, its obvious not going to crash into us anymore or cause global meltdown. Perhaps (with the help of the LHC) some form of time/dimension travel will come into existance. Straying off topic for a second, I know they say that time travel can not exist as we would have visitors from the future, but perhaps time travel can only exist from its inceptial beginning, ie from point of creation to a point in the future, and from the future back to that point. We shall wait and see. Either way, Im looking forward to the 2012 film :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

No
    I was reading an article by Remote Viewer Ed Dames recently and he said that he had remote viewed 2012. He said that planet X/Nubiru will pass by us on its cycle and its gravitational pull will make the oceans rise to hights of 2000 feet sending tidal waves around the world and drown most of the worlds costal cities. This will be followed by winds of up to 300mph.
    Not a nice thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

suey71 wrote: »
    I was reading an article by Remote Viewer Ed Dames recently and he said that he had remote viewed 2012. He said that planet X/Nubiru will pass by us on its cycle and its gravitational pull will make the oceans rise to hights of 2000 feet sending tidal waves around the world and drown most of the worlds costal cities. This will be followed by winds of up to 300mph.
    Not a nice thought.

You sure it wasnt a review of the preview trailer for 2012 the movie?

No
    Hi thecommander.
    I'm not sure how to link an article. but google Ed Dames and 2012 and I'm sure you'll find something on this.
    Funnily enough I youtubed 2012 and just saw the trailer, uncanny.

Not a nice thought.

A quick google tells me this 'planet' is now visible in the night sky, but with no exact location.

Got any coordinates?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tribalarmy

efla wrote: »

1. Mayan calender. A calender so accurate by Mayans based on astronomical observations cannot be ignored. The date of 21/12/2012 is the end of the calender signalling the end of life and the beginning of a new one.

My calendar ends on the 31st of December does that mean the world will end:confused:

No
    Are there any other ancient calenders from around the world with no connection to the Mayan people predicting the end of the world on 21/12/2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,230 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Are there any other ancient calenders from around the world with no connection to the Mayan people predicting the end of the world on 21/12/2012?

No there isn't.

The Mayans weren't actually predicting the end of the world with that calender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac055

I know what'll happen......

3 more shopping days left til christmas!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Not a nice thought.

The whole planet Nubiru thing just doesn't seem right. We must be able to see it by now if it was the case surely? Unless its orbit is HUGE and moves really fast I can't see how we dont.

tribalarmy wrote: »
    My calendar ends on the 31st of December does that mean the world will end:confused:

I didnt post that, where did that come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

efla wrote: »
    I didnt post that, where did that come from?

Post #40. The number is different alright, but that is probably cause the numbered list, and they deleted everything above 4.

No
    A7X wrote: »
    The whole planet Nubiru thing just doesn't seem right. We must be able to see it by now if it was the case surely? Unless its orbit is HUGE and moves really fast I can't see how we dont.

We were'nt told about Hale Bop until it was visible with the naked eye.
    I saw it one morning as I was off to work, 5am.
    Later that day it was on the news.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,230 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

We were'nt told about Hale Bop until it was visible with the naked eye.
    I saw it one morning as I was off to work, 5am.
    Later that day it was on the news.:confused:

It was discovered a year before it was visible to the naked eye.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Hale-Bopp

Also there are huge differences between a comet and a planet, most importantly: size.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

here's a guy that thought hale bop would destroy the world back in 1997

don't stare at his eyes too much. :D

religious people would love nothing more than to see the end of the world because they think God will fall from the
    sky and save the good people and destroy all the bad people..etc :rolleyes:

Advertisement