Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how often do you / should you change car?

Options
  • 09-05-2009 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

how often should you or do you change your car? bought a car last year and its my intention at the moment in keeping it until it keeps going..I know of other people who religiously change their car every 4 /5 years.

its my first time to buy a car and i think i will hold onto it for as long as it keeps going without giving me trouble. The thinking behind this is that i will get the best value out of the car because it I will have got as much milage as possible from it and its trade in value will be low anyway due to how old it is. I bought second hand - currently 5 years old and when the loan is paid I intend to keep it instead of trading again - this will save me money as I will own the car and I can save the money which I would be using to repay the loan.

Other people prefer to buy new and then trade in every 4/5 years to buy new.

Which is best?
    Which do you think is better.

how often do you change your car 44 votes

every year
    2% 1 vote
    after 2 years
    15% 7 votes
    after 3 years
    36% 16 votes
    after 4 years
    13% 6 votes
    5 years
    4% 2 votes
    between 5 and 10 years
    15% 7 votes
    ill keep it for as long as it works
    11% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I generally change every two years because I am very fickle, but will try and hold on to my current car for longer. It's not the cheapest to run, but still cheaper than trading up to a more expensive and faster depreciating car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I voted 2 years, I changed my first car after 2 and I'll probably change the car I have in and around the same interval....maybe after 2 1/2 years.

Generally because I get bored, but also because I'm in the stage of size climbing as opposed to year climbing. I had a small 00, then changed to a bigger 01 after 2 years and the year on the plate isn't going to bother me this time as long as it begins with 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It depends on the car, really. I generally wouldn't keep a sports car more than a couple of years, but i'm hoping to get 10 more years out of the Forester.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm hoping to keep my MINI for life, but I'll end up buying something practical too shortly as herself is starting to eye up evey damn kid on the street and get broody. God help me. I'll end up with a 7 seater rolypoly mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I think the fleet guys calculate it that 3 or 4 years is the optimal period when buying a new car - the depreciation has evened out, but the big bills haven't started coming in yet.

I'd say the best to do is change every 3 years or buy and run it until it dies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

For the family car, I like to pick a good one and stick with it. Had an Alfa 155 for 6 years back in the day, kept a Multipla for 7 years. The S-Max has been with us for a year, and I plan to keep it for many more.

The other POS runabout I will drive into the ground, unless I have to tackle a big commute and need to get something good.

AudiChris wrote: »
    I think the fleet guys calculate it that 3 or 4 years is the optimal period when buying a new car - the depreciation has evened out, but the big bills haven't started coming in yet.

I'd say the best to do is change every 3 years or buy and run it until it dies.
    I'd say that makes good sense on cars that are standard, or close to. Drop €15k worth of extras into an E90 BMW though, and you'd better be in it for the long term!

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd say that makes good sense on cars that are standard, or close to. Drop €15k worth of extras into an E90 BMW though, and you'd better be in it for the long term!
    I'd sya most people who buy high spec cars are in it for the long run 5 years +, like putting €15k of extras into a 320d, on the other hand most people in Ireland would buy a bog standard 320d, drive the **** out of it for 2 years and trade it in for its first service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I have changed my last 4 cars with in 2 years each time, my current car however is proving a little more difficult to even think about parting with as I don't know where to go from the M3.

It has every extra I want, it's the perfect colour scheme, most importantly it drives like dream, handles better than anything else I have ever driven and hasn't given me a days trouble (other than coils under warranty)

So 3 years on behind the wheel of the M3 and I suspect my motoring life has peaked, with 2 kids I think it's only down hill from here so I think, I'll hang onto it for a few more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I wouldn't put a time limit on it, as a reg plate is of little concern to me. If the right car comes up, I'll buy it. I'm very content with my own yoke, if anything goes wrong with the engine I'll just rebuild it. Wouldn't mind a TDI, if I see one I like, I'll buy. Simples:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Very strange, majority of posts so far are from mods, can ye not tear yourselfs away from the place for ten minutes? :pac:

As to changing the car, no cast iron rules really, come people feel they need to keep up with the Jones and change every year, others just run the car into the ground. My own car won't be changed for a while now due to the
    current economic climate

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Very strange, majority of posts so far are from mods, can ye not tear yourselfs away from the place for ten minutes? :pac:

No!

Indeed, i can't see myself getting a new car anytime soon, 5 years old and counting!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I'm pretty sure I have some illness. No car seems to be good enough so I change at least every year and sometimes within a few months. Me and my type are keeping the motor industry going. As soon as a rattle identifies itself or something minor goes wrong I want rid. I have a stupid theory that expensive must be better but that is folly. Someone help me. I am the bane of the dealership after they take my money. I return time after time with problem after problem. I get them resolved until the vehicle is better than a new one and then must sell it as i believe that it is a piece of crap. anyone else suffer from this? Should I speak to someone about my childhood ? ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Used to be a habitual two year changer.

Bought current car 10 years ago. thought about changing a few times but went on holidays instead.

Still happy with said chariot. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

For as long as possible, but that dosnt stop you from having a second :)

Of course there's often a big difference between how long you think you're going to keep a car and how long you actually end up keeping it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 aodhank

News you lost money when you bougth the car.

keep it till it stop's going or you can"t put up with it any more.

To keep it going.

Change Oil. every 10,000. If it's a new car they will say 15,000 and charge 450- 600 for a oil change filters , for aveage milage that's twice with in the warranty and maybe 1 brake pad change at 400.

Sorry you have to pay this for the warranty .

Now your out of warranty change oil and filter at 10,000, check the brake pads and replace if worn ( worn ! ) ,Check all fluid levels ( brake fuild ,gear box oil )if you dont know get someone who knows .

He should check for.
    Check all the rubber boots for wear tear (better to replace at first sing of wear) .it will save money in the long run,

All so check battery,lights ect...

get some one you trust and go back every 10,000 to 12,000 killomiters

450-600 for and oil change....what do you drive? a Panzer?

A filter can cost less than €25 for an average car and the champagne of oils can be got for €70/80. It's a job that's doable on a DIY scale, depending on the car, mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I have had a 2006 car for the past year and plan to change it after it paases its first NCT next year for another two (maybe three) year old car, as I'll need something with a big boot so we can do some UK driving holidays with our young lad next year. A6 if I have money; Mondeo otherwise.

Part of me thinks it's best to drive something for years, but I'm new to cars and am chomping at the bit to change at two year intervals just because there are so many cars I'd like to try. I really admire people who have had a classic saab 900 for 25 years and have cherished over that time. I have been planning to buy a classic 900 but will have to see how the budget hits my payslip this thursday - I'm not optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Only had one car so far, nearly 3 years now, but I'd like something bigger than the Fiesta and that complimentary Dagenham rust is creeping in. However I haven't had a job in 8 months so I think I'll have to just get some Waxoyl for now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I usually change due to boredom. I really like the car I have now but should really have bought a diesel one. If I see a nice spec one, I'd probably swap for it but with the mileage piling on my own my times running out to do it at a price anywhere approaching reasonable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭igglou

I generally plan to change every 2 years. Though I got a bit of stick for having a new car each year for 3 years in a row, 05, 06 and 07 but not intentionally. Bought my first S40 in Aug 05 and it spent most of the rest of that year in the Volvo garage due to all sorts of errors it kept reporting about brake and engine failures. Eventually, they gave me a brand new 06 free of charge! So in 07 I changed to another S40 keeping in with my own 2 year budget. Then I made a huge change in Jan this year by going for a 520d! Always said I'd have a BMW before I was 30, so changed 2 weeks before my birthday! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭igglou

Meant to say my Sis changes her cars 2 or 3 times a year. Her latest is a Mazda 6 which she has had the longest, 5mths now but she is already talking about changing :)

Its mostly due to boredom but when she was pregant she had a terios and said she had to get rid cause it smelled of horses and was making her sick!! :confused: She changed her car 5 times that year!

Advertisement