Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heroes...what went wrong?

Options
  • 10-03-2009 12:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Think we all agree season one was excellent, but then someting happened.....
    Is it purely down to the writers or was Tim Kring full of s*it in saying he had everything planned out for 5 seasons, did NBC interfere?...budget cuts?, victim of it's own success?

Much like The OC it seems the Heroes creator, much like The OC's creator, took a back seat, stopped writing scripts, got lazy or started developing other projects.

What in your opinion has gone wrong with Heroes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

They had a winning formula in series 1 and interesting characters but started to falter in the last couple of episodes and the finale was just a blow out, they then decided to evolve the characters and get more deep and introduce a love story and with the writers strike there was no emphasis on a good story line I think they were just running out of ideas.The fans of the show wanted fast paced sci-fi not slow moving dullness.

Now with series 3 the big characters have become very watered down and uninteresting with out any clean refined story coupled with their obsession with time travel huge plot holes developed and now their nearly at the end of series 3 and still no body knows what's happening. I can't really see a season 4 because they've had 2 seasons to try to recapture the spirit of the first and failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

What in your opinion has gone wrong with Heroes?

A Lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

everything went wrong with it, it felt like it had become a sci-fi version of Day of our Lives , just utter mindless soap opera rubbish. The characters kept changing and don't get me started on the massive plot holes in each episode. I just stopped watching it after episode 7 of this season and i haven't regretted it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

I think ever since the writers strike they have struggled to get their groove back to be honest. There was a complete different script/storyline planned before the strike that had to be scrapped for some reason after. Its a shame considering from what i've seen, it looked far better than what was shown.

Also, that irish girl that peter lost in the future, the show completely forgot about her!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

For me the mistakes started with the season one finale, the whole SEASON was setup for a showdown during the finale, they all gathered at Kirby Plaza...and it's at THIS point Kring should have lived up to what he said would happen. Kill off most of the characters....as in Sylar, who had been aquiring powers all season FOR this, killoff several heroes and still him and Peter could duel and explode etc.

The whole Japan time travel was rubbish, they should've explored the relationship of the heroes in connection with the eclipse etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

So much went wrong, from one week to the next it seems like a character sees something shiney and runs off after it... week after week!! And the way HRG and Nathan flip flop on their beliefs is just too much to handle. The writers (who should be taken out back and shot IMO) were probably hoping that we would be excited by every twist.. but now there's about 5 per episode... Oh Peter can fly, oh now he cant.. Oh Hiro lost his powers, oh now Ando has powers.. Oh Nathan is good, oh he's evil now Oh... yawn!!!

Do the following...

Kill off / Get rid of, never to return:

1. Daphne and Claire (too cutesy wootsy)
    2. Claire's family (-HRG, Costa Verde is a yawnfest at this stage)
    3. Tracy (either pick a side or become Nikki!!
    4. Mohinder (he can stay on to narrate if he wants
    5. Parkman (UUUUUUSSSSSSSSSELLLLLLLLEEEEEEESSSSSSSS whiny b**ch!!),

Plotlines to get rid of:

1. The military rounding super people up, or any kind of Government involvement.. a silly restricting plot that ties them down.
    2. Faffing about in labs with syringes and vials... ZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!
    3. Daddy issues.. Claire, Syalr, Peter et al

Things the newly hired writing staff should look at:

1. The corpses of the old writing staff.
    2. DC comics.
    3. Read some classics with the timeless themes of good versus evil.

In the mean time, they have til the end of Season 3 as far as my viewing goes, then I'll stop and take stock of what kind of show it is, and whether I'll bother to tune in for Season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Similar to the Lost forum, it might be an idea to have a sticky thread for whining about Heroes, to stop new ones popping up weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

PetKing wrote: »
    Similar to the Lost forum, it might be an idea to have a sticky thread for whining about Heroes, to stop new ones popping up weekly.
    In this forum it's more than deserved. It's become a complete mess of a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There have been so many awful things, but for me the main thing wrong with the show is that they introduced really poor characters and also went down the road of schmalz. Characters like Maya and her brother, Micah's cousin (can't even remember the name), the entire 'Irish' cast begorrah, were just really poor additions. Add to that the love story with Hiro in Japan, Peter and the Cork chick, Sylar and Elle, Mohinder and Maya, Claire and Superboy etc. These were just ridiculously bad.

Other shows like Lost make you actually care about couples because the writing is well done. As for Heroes, not so much. I mean, does anyone honestly give a flying f*ck about Parkman and Daphne's absurd romance?

The writing in general has stunk for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sherifu wrote: »
    In this forum it's more than deserved. It's become a complete mess of a show.
    This thread validates what im about to do next:

*unsubscribes to Heroes forum*

Goodbye Mr. Petrelli. How ironic that we liked you better as an Emo :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

When they write the Irish sences as bad as they did, you seem to know the show has no real soul.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PetKing wrote: »
    All the episode discussions would have to be merged into the sticky then. :D

There is so much wrong with it.

The characters have become uninteresting and boring. In fact you'd be lucky not to dispise and hate most of them.

Story arcs that that are either boring, stupid, annoying or more than likely all three.

Ridiculously inconsistant characters. Their actions and motivations just seem out of place and are just plain baffling. Not to mention that some of them seem to have their moral compass replaced by a round about filled with sugar high 8 year olds.

The writing is pretty abysmal as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    When they write the Irish sences as bad as they did, you seem to know the show has no real soul.

It's a funny thing, but I remember someone pointing out that the Japanese parts with Hiro and Ando were generally pretty bad as well. I get the feeling that overall pretty much any part of the show with any specific non-American character or setting was pretty stereotyped and poorly handled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

yellowcurl wrote: »
    Also, that irish girl that peter lost in the future, the show completely forgot about her!!!
    the best thing they ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

Niall0 wrote: »
    the best thing they ever did.

Lol i agree, but quite bad on the writers part to not even make something up to explain why they'd axed her. You'd expect something like that from a group of primary school kids making up a play or something during their lunch break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

There are serious problems with all of the sci-fi series this year.
    All of them have just imploded.
    Heroes, Terminator, BSG, Lost.

Its like the writers are still on strike.
    They have all become muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Hard for BSG to reach the same high points it has in the past... I'd hardly say it's imploded though. A quality show to the end (which is just next week :()

I haven't enjoyed Lost this much since it's first season. Great return to from IMO.

And Terminator has never been the best show on tv, and still isn't. But it has always been enjoyable and "good enough". No implosion there either.

It's really just heroes tbh - and not just this year either. If anything this has been a slight improvement on everything since season one. It's just much too little and much too late.

bobbbb wrote: »
    There are serious problems with all of the sci-fi series this year.
    All of them have just imploded.
    Heroes, Terminator, BSG, Lost.

Its like the writers are still on strike.
    They have all become muck.

Add Heroes to your list :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

I reckon it was coz they were told to clean up and target a family demographic - I remember the early episodes of Season 1 with all the bodies ripped in half and brains lying beside cut-open-heads all over the place thinking, yep, this could go places. I kept waiting for the schizo chick to change into a hulk type thing and all... but then Sylar turned out to be yer man instead of the guy seen in the shadows a few episodes earlier and it started going all tame and silly - hell, even Hiro was a fav character at the beginning...

You're right Red, season one was rather graphic...forgot about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

You're right Red, season one was rather graphic...forgot about that.
    more graphic stuff please, its 2009 for christ sake, you can show graphic stuff at 15-16 year olds now,

i think they have strayed to much from comic stuff, they dont wanna be seen ripping off this and that, but the thing is, i, and most others, wont care, if it works into the show it would be great, now im not on about useing entire scenarios from comics, just certain ideas,

clair should die for a few eps, as a life lesson, she has hundreds of lives to live, so she is gonna have to learn, her caracter should be easy to write for,

syler, there so much that can still be done with him, he should start working up teh political ladder,over a season or two, it would make a great story arc, a trail of bodies to teh white house, and even have him take office and all,

HRG should take over the hunt, hes more level headed and understands, what should be done and who is dangerous, but yet when he crosses a line even though he knows, he still follows through with his original intention,

the writers are just to short sighted on nearly all the shows now a days it seem, there are no extended story arcs that take 3-4 season to show, i remember DS9, the last 4 seasons were one hugh story arc, right up to the last episode,

reality TV is mostly to blame, why come up with a superb idea and get paid the same money to write for pop idol, for the script thats in it,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

not too surprise to see people's comments with so much hatred :Dso glad i quit ages ago!

actually, i was secretly hoping the show would gets better :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

OK I will admit to watching "Mutant X". Cheesy but had its qualities.

One running theme in Mutant X was all the mutants would be captured by the main bad guy and every episode revolved around breaking out of gene-o-max. They may as well just put a revolving door in.

Appears Heroes is going that way. I mean how times have they captured them? Can they not just put a bullet in their heads?

The only character which is interesting is Sylar, and it is like that is getting watered down too. I was hoping the kid with Sylar was some super villian controling Sylar but turns out he was just random extra number 4.

The blondie in Mutant X was hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

So it's not actually worth looking at anymore so ? I've been hanging on by a thread hoping something might happen but don't want to stop watching it if there's only a handful of episodes left. When is it due to finish or it it just going to continue to drag out ?

New ep. should be online soon...i shall report my observations :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

this is what i think went wrong on the basis of the last ep, im just gonna put what i wrote in the episodes thread what i think is wrong wth the show, what i think was right about this ep and what wrong with most eps

very well balanced episode, 3 story lines and enough time to play all 3, i think this has been a major problem with heros, not storyline per-say, but the amount of caracters in play in any given episode, this episode had 6 caracters in play, each with an equal share, so each had enough screen time to play there part, (think) 45 minutes by 6, is about 8 minutes each, which isnt bad,

think if hiro, ando, matt parkman, baby matt, mohinder, miah, tracy (or her other sister), HRG, and then throw in the kind of story lines given, (time travel takes up a lot of time i think, one group trying to find another could take 5-6 epsiodes when is should take 2 max, ) its taking to long for for a story to develop, the story line for a show like this are endless, wheres the crative problem, there plenty of source material, in comic books, short stories, politics, action, just make sure each story is well thought out and you know exactly where the story is going to be in 2 years time, not where its going to be next month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Heroes is a badly written badly acted TV show.

It got away with it in the first year because it was new, had some impressive effects and deep down everyone wants to have some superpowers :D

Seriously, heroes is an really awful program. I have watched majority of the episodes this year and there hasn't been one where I wasn't continuously cringing at how badly written it was. I threw my shoe at the TV during one episode it annoyed so much :pac: :pac:

And anyone putting this in the same league as Lost needs there head examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

jimbling wrote: »
    Heroes is a badly written badly acted TV show.

It got away with it in the first year because it was new, had some impressive effects and deep down everyone wants to have some superpowers :D

Seriously, heroes is an really awful program. I have watched majority of the episodes this year and there hasn't been one where I wasn't continuously cringing at how badly written it was. I threw my shoe at the TV during one episode it annoyed so much :pac: :pac:

And anyone putting this in the same league as Lost needs there head examined.

So why are you bothering to keep watching it? Why are you posting here? Lost is tripe btw. First season was good and then they turned over all writing duties to the mentally insane.

• Advertisement

Lost is a complete joke!...at least with Heroes we ALL want to have superpowers, but Lost...the only thing i want from that show is one night with Angeline Lilly.

Advertisement