Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work in Australia

• 28-03-2009 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was thinking of heading over to Australia, but decided to come on here for some advice as I'm stuck with a difficult decision.

Basically... I was made redundant from my job in sales, and cant find work like so many others. Somewhere along the line I got the idea in my head about going to Australia, I think i would be only eligible for the 12 month working holiday visa as I don't have a trade or any qualifications, plus Im still quite young, only 20 :/

Luckily I have some contacts in Australia from my previous job as a bartender and decided to send some emails and as it turns out one of the guys works in recruitment in Brisbane.

I asked him about work in oz and he said although things have slowed up a bit, he would have no trouble in finding me labour work or bar work the the contacts he has, even help me with accommodation.

Anyway what do you think I should do?

I've known the guy quite some time and believe he'd help me out big time, but I'm the type of lad that would worry about things falling through and not working out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Conrad83

You should def go. As you say you have trouble finding work here but you prob could get a job in Oz so why not? I am heading over myself in July and am hearing different reports about jobs over there but sure better to be unemployed in the sun then here in depressing ol Ireland with recession all anybody talks about!

What's the worst that can happen?! At the end of the day you can always hop back on a plane and fly back, your only young once I say:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 randomcorkgirl

Okay if u ask me i think u should do it! u only live once... my sister is going over their in june! get the one year visa sure in that case its only a year! get ur open return ticket and u can come back no bother if it all falls apart!
    ITS AN EXPERIENCE!
    ur probably in a better position to go then most cos of ur contacts and if u have previous exp in bar work all the better
    sure if all else fails u could always do fruit picking in a farm over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Conrad83 wrote: »
    You should def go. As you say you have trouble finding work here but you prob could get a job in Oz so why not? I am heading over myself in July and am hearing different reports about jobs over there but sure better to be unemployed in the sun then here in depressing ol Ireland with recession all anybody talks about!

What's the worst that can happen?! At the end of the day you can always hop back on a plane and fly back, your only young once I say:)

Suppose, you do make sense there!

Hearing different reports myself, heres what he said: "Yeah, there has been plenty of Irish guys come over and unfortunately don't get much work, either due to bad luck and sometimes, drinking too much and not turning up to work."

I think the second reason is probably the main one!

Your heading over yourself are you? So your probably in the same boat as me, no work!! :)

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Suppose, you do make sense there!

Hearing different reports myself, heres what he said: "Yeah, there has been plenty of Irish guys come over and unfortunately don't get much work, either due to bad luck and sometimes, drinking too much and not turning up to work."

I think the second reason is probably the main one!

Your heading over yourself are you? So your probably in the same boat as me, no work!! :)

Yep should be hitting Oz in mid July (after doing Asia) and cannot wait. It's something I've wanted to do for years and the talk of no work over there has certainly not put me off. I'd say your prob not far off the mark with the second reason there but as myself and other poster said there's always the open ended plane ticket to come back home.

I have no job lined up over there but have nearly 6 years insurance experience behind me and have worked in bars and stuff too so hopefully I get somethin somewhere, no point worrying before I get there though makes the whole experience less fun!

You should def go, sure uve no job here anyway what have you got to lose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Anyone planning on going, should go soon.
    Australia is locking up and you may not get the chance if you leave it too long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭paulg1770

bobbbb wrote: »
    Anyone planning on going, should go soon.
    Australia is locking up and you may not get the chance if you leave it too long.

I second that, if its a whv u need I would go get it straight away. Once your over there u could get sponsered or fruit pick in order to stay on after your year is up. Ive been doing alot of research on the job scene, Brisbane agencies have construction work alright but alot of it looks like its based in townsville, burgandy and other sub-cities. anyhow in answer to your question, go for it you've nothing to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

If you have contacts then I'd say definitely go. It just means you'll have a bit of help and back-up. Do you have much money put aside? If you have a bit of money to keep you going while you look it would be better.

watna wrote: »
    If you have contacts then I'd say definitely go. It just means you'll have a bit of help and back-up. Do you have much money put aside? If you have a bit of money to keep you going while you look it would be better.

I think Iv bout €6000, that's including the money for the flight... I think you need a bit of money anyway as you could need proof that you have enough money to bail out.

How are things in New Zealand? Have things slowed up there at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I think Iv bout €6000, that's including the money for the flight... I think you need a bit of money anyway as you could need proof that you have enough money to bail out.

How are things in New Zealand? Have things slowed up there at all?

Things have slowed down a bit and it is harder to find work but it's not too bad - compared to other places. Work did have a restructure and let people go but they also created the exact same amount of positions so overall headcount was unchanged. I don't know anyone that has lost their job and out of our friends here we all seem ok for the forseeable future anyway. One friend is a contractor (Test manager) and his contract has just been extended until the end of the year.

A lot of the jobs that are going seem to be in manufacturing. That will probably change though. Apparently, according to the weekend paper (The Dominion Post) we got yesterday a lot of jobs were created in certain areas over the past few boom years and they say these are the jobs that will be most badly affected. The areas I can remember were retail, construction and architecture and other property based things. (There were one or two more - I'll dig out the artcle anyway) According to the paper they are not expecting things to pick up until this time next year when the economy is expected to grow (but only very slightly).

I think we're going to be a lot better off here than people are in Ireland so I'll be staying here for a few years longer than I originally intended. I've been granted permanent residency so can stay forever if I want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

At 20 you are really not risking that much... Just go unless you had that €6000 ear marked for big things.

If you mate can get you anything you should be right.

• Advertisement

paulg1770 wrote: »
    I second that, if its a whv u need I would go get it straight away. Once your over there u could get sponsered or fruit pick in order to stay on after your year is up. Ive been doing alot of research on the job scene, Brisbane agencies have construction work alright but alot of it looks like its based in townsville, burgandy and other sub-cities. anyhow in answer to your question, go for it you've nothing to lose.

Good to know someones doing some research before jumping head first into the unknown, would the construction work been based in sub-cities put you off? To be honest I would be happy just to get a job, wouldn't mind where its based.

watna wrote: »
    Things have slowed down a bit and it is harder to find work but it's not too bad - compared to other places. Work did have a restructure and let people go but they also created the exact same amount of positions so overall headcount was unchanged. I don't know anyone that has lost their job and out of our friends here we all seem ok for the forseeable future anyway. One friend is a contractor (Test manager) and his contract has just been extended until the end of the year.

A lot of the jobs that are going seem to be in manufacturing. That will probably change though. Apparently, according to the weekend paper (The Dominion Post) we got yesterday a lot of jobs were created in certain areas over the past few boom years and they say these are the jobs that will be most badly affected. The areas I can remember were retail, construction and architecture and other property based things. (There were one or two more - I'll dig out the artcle anyway) According to the paper they are not expecting things to pick up until this time next year when the economy is expected to grow (but only very slightly).

I think we're going to be a lot better off here than people are in Ireland so I'll be staying here for a few years longer than I originally intended. I've been granted permanent residency so can stay forever if I want!

And your probably better off staying there! Ireland and the UK got hit the worst I think, unfortunately I was born the wrong country. If I go I would be looking for something in construction, retail which as you said would/could be badly effected. Although bars always seem to do good business during a recession, people always find money to drink... :confused:

Good to know someones doing some research before jumping head first into the unknown, would the construction work been based in sub-cities put you off? To be honest I would be happy just to get a job, wouldn't mind where its based.
    No not at all, anywhere there is work there is going to be an athmosphere. I was in townsville before it has a great nightlife plus it makes for good road trips to cairns, magnetic island and airlee beach when you get a few days off. you'll have to get a safe pass sorted or a blue card as i think its called in that neck of the woods, and a tax file number before you can get work in construction. Should take no more than a week to sort out. I wouldn't believe all of the doom and gloom stories comming out of aussie right now the country isn't even offically in a recession yet but in saying that they may well be closing the door slightly on whv's
    did u say you have 6grand? thats not far off 12000AUD which will go along way when your drinking $5 bags of local wine and living in hostels!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

Australia for Australian people and no irish people.

As the irish said, ireland for the irish.:D

No not at all, anywhere there is work there is going to be an athmosphere. I was in townsville before it has a great nightlife plus it makes for good road trips to cairns, magnetic island and airlee beach when you get a few days off. you'll have to get a safe pass sorted or a blue card as i think its called in that neck of the woods, and a tax file number before you can get work in construction. Should take no more than a week to sort out. I wouldn't believe all of the doom and gloom stories comming out of aussie right now the country isn't even offically in a recession yet but in saying that they may well be closing the door slightly on whv's
    did u say you have 6grand? thats not far off 12000AUD which will go along way when your drinking $5 bags of local wine and living in hostels!

Please define in Townsville before when.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Please define in Townsville before when.
    Its just the way i say i have been there for a period of time in the past.
    ok:D

Australia for Australian people and no irish people.

As the irish said, ireland for the irish.:D

Not really, you mustn't get out much...

Its just the way i say i have been there for a period of time in the past.
    ok:D

I am sure you have but what year exactly if you don't mind me asking.

Its just you seem fairly of the work scenario there. I will give you a sample of some of the comments from other expats in Bricklaying in Oz
    In a nutshell theres very little work around for any trade in the construction industry, its pretty dire at the minute.

Theres on average 200 brickies applying for each job so you can imagine its tough.

Wages vary from $220-$250 per day some as low as $200

Sorry to sound negative but thats the way it is out here at the moment.
    If you are still in UK it's unlikely that you will get a job here in Australia. There are plenty of brickies already here, with visas, looking for work who are able to start tomorrow. Unfortunately building has slowed down and lots of trades are finding it more and more difficult to find work.
    Hi im on the Gold Coast and Sites are... www.seek.com.au and www.careerone.com.au and www.jobsjobsjobs.com.au

Newspaper is The Gold Coast Bullitin... Job Paper comes out every Wednesday and Saturday... but you have to but the paper at like 7am and call asap as the jobs go very quickly...

These are all from www.britishexpats.com feel free to examine the site its very good for info on Oz. These where posted in the last 2 days.

If was to post on the work and jobs thread that I didn't believe the doom & gloom stories coming out of Ireland I reckon people may disagree with me.

Its just you seem fairly of the work scenario there. I will give you a sample of some of the comments from other expats in Bricklaying in Oz.

So things are pretty bad, do you reckon it'd be worth my while going over even if I do know someone living there who claims to be able to get me work?

Its just you seem fairly of the work scenario there. I will give you a sample of some of the comments from other expats in Bricklaying in Oz

These are all from www.britishexpats.com feel free to examine the site its very good for info on Oz. These where posted in the last 2 days.

If was to post on the work and jobs thread that I didn't believe the doom & gloom stories coming out of Ireland I reckon people may disagree with me.
    yea thanks i have been on that site quite a bit. I have used career jet, search petrolium.net and also jobsearch australia to look for work in my trade as an electrical mechanic. I have also contacted a couple of recruitment agencies directly whos names i got from these websites. As regards my line of work im told alot of whv holders and new residents to aussie are restricted in gaining employment in these available positions due to licenceing issues. I have a friend who has just returned from brisbane and told me the same thing. Basically for my line of work without your license you will find it extremly tough but there is a good chance of work if you have the correct documentation.
    If you gonna nit pick i said i wouldnt believe ALL the doom and gloom stories

• Advertisement

So things are pretty bad, do you reckon it'd be worth my while going over even if I do know someone living there who claims to be able to get me work?

Yes just dont count on a bricklaying job straight of Paul is right when he says your fairly well cashed up to survive. Plus networking here is crucial, doors open so much quicker when you know people. If your a good bloke make sure you meet people so they know your a good bloke.

So go like I said at 20 your not risking much.

To Paul sorry missed the all in your post my bad:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Forum for intelligent conversation and no trolling. Scorpioishere infracted for rabble rousing racism.

Well Applied for the visa this morning, fairly straight forward... Said they should call me within 48 hours...

Good on ya, yeah they are pretty fast with the visa's I rang up for mine on a Fri afternoon and they rang me first thing the following Monday. Happy days!:)

good stuff, i hope u didnt buy that visa first starter pack every backpacker seems to get stung with, its a waste of money if your offered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Unkle knobhead

good stuff, i hope u didnt buy that visa first starter pack every backpacker seems to get stung with, its a waste of money if your offered it.

If you have your visa and the this forecasted "locking" of the borders go ahead will they still be able to turn you away?

Thinking of jetting of Aug/Sept time so they might have got stricter then.

If you have your visa and the this forecasted "locking" of the borders go ahead will they still be able to turn you away?

Thinking of jetting of Aug/Sept time so they might have got stricter then.

Not too sure, Id doubt it as the visa is the "key" into the country.. Did you get the visa already?

Conrad83 wrote: »
    Good on ya, yeah they are pretty fast with the visa's I rang up for mine on a Fri afternoon and they rang me first thing the following Monday. Happy days!:)

Fast indeed, rang me this morning to clear things up... Have to pay tomorrow tho cause I didn't have a card on me when they rang.

How much did yours set you back?

Didn't seem tho mention any of that I think, well I hope not... She said the visa is €190, does that sound right to you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Unkle knobhead

Not too sure, Id doubt it as the visa is the "key" into the country.. Did you get the visa already?

Yeah got it back in Feb as i heard they were going to be cracking down on the amount of visa's being issued.

Hope you are right :)

Advertisement