Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Req] Best/Worst Value For Money European Motorhome Destinations

Options
  • 25-03-2009 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I’m researching buying a motorhome and I’d appreciate any help with my below query.

Can I ask is there any general consensus between continental regulars as to where the best (and worst) value for money is in relation to motorhome holidays in mainland Europe at the present time? The kind of things I’m thinking of are Value for Money campsites (quality of facilities compared to cost), diesel prices in different countries or other factors that you may know to be relevant to value.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance for all Responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

FrCrilly, I think you're taking the wrong approach to this. From your posts to date you seem to be focusing on finding 'a holiday' with the lowest outlay rather than finding the holiday you want to do and then working out how to minimise the outlay. Working out the best value is definitely very important but you need to start with some basics - are you prepared to drive to Bulgaria for example, it's probably dead cheap there, but is it fun and do you want to spend the best part of a week getting there and handing over money to the guys on the border ? Probably not.

You could probably park in the ferry terminal car park in Calais (or by the side of the road nearby) for two weeks and not pay anything. This would be a low cost holiday in Europe, minimal fuel consumption, etc . . . but it wouldn't actually be fun.

In terms of general costings, I don't know that camping is going to be any different to the normal European trending of "The further North you go, the more expensive it is. The further South you go, the less expensive it is."

There are generic ways to save money, like avoiding the toll motorways, but this is at a cost of time spent driving through (often very scenic) countryside behind tractors and through villages with loads of traffic lights, poor signage, etc . . .

I think once you decide on the basics (mountains in Austria/Germany vs beaches in Spain/France for example) you might get some more specific advice on which parts of those regions might be better value than others.

z
    FrCrilly wrote: »
    Hi All,

I’m researching buying a motorhome and I’d appreciate any help with my below query.

Can I ask is there any general consensus between continental regulars as to where the best (and worst) value for money is in relation to motorhome holidays in mainland Europe at the present time? The kind of things I’m thinking of are Value for Money campsites (quality of facilities compared to cost), diesel prices in different countries or other factors that you may know to be relevant to value.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance for all Responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Try this site for fuel price comparison; http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/eupetrolprices/.

I think that the difference in prices is negligible.

Really you need to put a value on the holiday you are looking for i.e. pick locations, sites etc that you want to go to and work out how much it's going to cost you. If that cost doesn't fall in to line with what you are willing to pay (or can afford to pay) then you need to re-evaluate and tailor to your needs as only you can decide what you need/dont need for a sucessful holiday.

It depends on what level of comfort you need on holiday and what value you put on your free time. You will get lots of suggestions on here from peope for lovely sites with great facilities in France etc. I have no idea how much the sites cost to stay in (depite having booked the ferry for July). It would be good if somebody could throw out a few ball park nightly rates for a "nice site with good facilites" to give FrCrilly something to base an estimate on. A few figures for Aires would be good also to give a reference between staying in a site/Aire/side of the road.

The other expenses like tolls, food, diesel, entertainment, anything else can be estimated.

I think you should definately work out how much you think a motorhome holiday will cost you before you buy a motorhome as cost seems to be a big thing for you. Maybe you might decide that you could have a different style holiday for the same or less?

Don't forget that you get to use it the rest of the year too around Ireland if you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

Unless you want to drive for 25% of your holiday you are going to be doing the west coast of France, or thereabouts.

A 2 week trip to France for a family of 4 staying in very nice campsites will cost you 1000-1500 in late may early June, and and 2000-3000 in peak season. This includes all ferries, fuel and campsite costs.

A 4-5* campsite will cost you 25ish off peak and 30-45 peak. If you want you can get this cost down by staying on aires which are approx 10/night.

there might be some variations on prices between countries but really you are limited to France/Netherlands and part of Germany etc unless you do some serious driving.

The main factor that will affect the holiday price is when you go. After that it is how long it takes you to get to where you want to actually be on holiday. France is closest and has good weather.

For example.... if you want to got the black forest then it is reasonable to assume that you spend 1 day getting to Rosslare and overnighting, 1 day driving most of the way across France and 1 day doing the final trip to wherever in Germany.

Same again on the way back... so you need to set aside 6 days of driving. Most people take 14 days 6/14... is quite alot... especially i fyou want to tour around a bit while there.

You might save costs by doing a landbridge via Holyhead/Dover but then you have a full days driving instead of overnighting/resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

We travelled France & Southern Germany for 3 weeks in 2008, Mid July to early August.
    Two adults & two kids on Irish Ferries (€1100)
    Accomidation: averaged €30 per night, Good quality sites with good facilities. Sites like Freiburg (Southernn Germany) was €37/night but included free public transport. Paris sites around €35/night. Minich sites were €25/night, quiet basic with a vending machine and basic facilities. One/two nights we ended up in an aire de services where we had enough driving for the day.
    Diesel: Obviously prices have dropped since last year but total cost was around €450 for a 2300km round trip. Met a few along the way who recommended stopping in Luximburg for cheap Diesel but we didn't feel it was worth it. In France the supermarkets seem to have the cheaper diesel.
    Food: Cost around €800 which was a mix of eating out and cooking our own BBQs.
    Tours/Sightseeing: Trips like the a Paris boat trip, BMW museum & Deuches Museum averaged €30 per trip. Boat hire on Lake Constance worked out at around €25/hour.
    Tolls: Are quiet expensive in France, none in Germany. Total spent on tools was around €160. If we were travelling Germany only I'd consider travelling UK to Belgium and skip all tolls.
    Over the years we've seen quiet a bit of Europe and I'm sure it is possible to do it on a budget. Frence Aires cost nothing but lack facilities and there's always a risk. Municipal sites average around €10/night, have basic facilities but are central with quiet a bit to do in the localities. There's an organisation called FrancePassion which offers free accomidation on farms etc but tend to be in remote locations.
    Ferry savings can be made by travelling via the UK and is almost as quick as the Roslare/Cherburg ferry route. Personally I like the idea of getting on the boat in Roslare knowing we can have a few pints and the holidays have begun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

Hi All,

Thanks for all responses.

As I said in my cutting costs and hassles thread, I envisage a basic “lone traveller” budget ferry crossing with LD lines, flooring it to a Ryanair pick up airport, touring towards a distant swapover airport and then handing over to a partner who will tour, drive and ferry back towards Ireland. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055516606

By identifing a cheap airfare (both to and from Dublin) swapover airport at the halfway date of an LD lines return ferry crossing, I have constructed 3 separate cost efficient 1 week tours (per partner) in April 09
    Le Havre to Northern Germany (&vv),
    Le Havre to Southern Germany (&vv),
    Le Havre to Southern France (&vv),

and 4 separate cost efficient 2 week tours (per partner) in Aug 09
    Le Havre to Norway (&vv),
    Le Havre to Slovakia (&vv),
    Le Havre to Central Italy (&vv),
    Le Havre to Southern Spain (&vv),
    (If you want price details of any of these trips, PM me and I'll post them on my "cutting costs and hassle" thread).

After identifying all these potential destinations, I now want an idea of the best value for money locations at the present time in terms of motorhome holiday costs. Over the years I would intend to visit pretty much every country in Europe, however I think it makes incredible sense to visit them at times when their motorhome holiday costs are the most attractive (eg Norway and Sweden may usually be very expensive for motorhomers, however this year their currencies may be exceptionally weak against the Euro, so let’s take advantage and go there).

The reason why I’m working on these ideas is because I will want to get the most out of my motorhome, to go further onto the continent and to go more often.

Thanks in advance for all further responses.

I dont see the point in what you are doing. It's going to be the same cost more or less wherever you go. What kind of a saving do you think you will achieve by going to one place rather than another?

When you say value for money, do you mean as cheap as possible or as long as you are happy with what you get you dont mind the cost?

i think you are putting alot of effort into saving pennies TBH when 1 single thing like a mechanical failure could wipe out years of "savings" you are trying to achieve.

For instance I had to get a new tyre on oen trip, at €250, I doubt you are saving €250 per trip.

On another trip somebody else was usign the motorhome and "a narrow bridge hit them" and I had to buy in exterior trim parts etc. Luckily I was able to fit them myself.

Only recently I had to spend 1500 on water ingress repairs.

I admire what you are trying to achieve and TBH i probably over plan my own holidays but perhaps this is a bit OTT?

BTW Le Havre to Southern Spain to me is not a 2 week, but a 3 week holiday! It's alot of driving, you need to pace yourself for safety. And the whole point of a motorhome is to move around when you get there so even more driving. Likewise for Italy.

I did a 3 week trip 2 years ago and did central France the Alps and parts of the Vosges/Jura and I felt completely drained after it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

FrCrilly wrote: »
    flooring it to a Ryanair pick up airport,

I have to say that this frightens me. From my experience, I find that most people are tired getting off the ferry and are only fit for a couple of hrs driving at max on their first day. I admire your effort to cut costs.......but at what cost? Putting yourself or others in increased "danger" is not cost cutting !

Take care

Malta1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

Thanks for all responses.

First of all I’ve put an itinerary for the Southern Spain trip on my cutting costs and hassle thread to allow you judge for yourselves how viable it is in terms of cost, time and safety.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055516606&page=2

So far, from this and other forums, I have learned that the UK is considered expensive for everything motorhome, France and Germany are considered motorhome heaven and Luxemburg is considered cheap for fuel. More private opinions include Scandanavia is expensive for everything, Spain is unfriendly to motorhomers (expensive, lack facilities, high crime rates on costas), Portugal is much more towards the opposite and Morocco is popular with German and Dutch, cheap, fabulous scenery but has the downside of people begging.

With this information, I could decide on touring Northern France and Germany via Luxemburg, avoid going to Spain and Scandanavia, and in future push for trips to Portugal and Morocco (keeping an eye on Ryanair to open Dublin flights to/from Morocco).

Every year, I would consider what the present situation is in relation to destinations and if, for example, the situation in either Spain and Scandanavia becomes more attractive, I may decide that it’s time to visit.

As I said, over the long term I would intend to visit a lot of countries in Europe. I just think it makes sense to visit each one at the right time.

Hope you find this of interest. Thanks in Advance for all further responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

are you only planning on using it once/twice a year? If so, it may be cheaper just to fly out and rent a house somewhere.
    There are lots of great places in Ireland to visit. From mach to october, I probably use mine for weekends away twice a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

*Kol* wrote: »
    I dont see the point in what you are doing. It's going to be the same cost more or less wherever you go. What kind of a saving do you think you will achieve by going to one place rather than another?

When you say value for money, do you mean as cheap as possible or as long as you are happy with what you get you dont mind the cost?

u at it again?????

u at it again?????

I'm only asking!!:)

Advertisement