Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Is ****?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I don't think it's that bad..

well since the ban on toilet threads and things like that it gets a bit shíte but overall it's still ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What do you mean no more "dumb crap"??

This is the capital of "dumb crap"!!

Go to Politics if you want serious threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

the recent poll on AH proved that the majority of posters felt mods are too harsh, its about time they started to take notice of this fact or else....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

the recent poll on AH proved that the majority of posters felt mods are too harsh, its about time they started to take notice of this fact or else....
    That poll was about mods on boards not just on after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=260466

That stupid reference makes me think this place was never really funny, Im relatively new here so I don't care

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Why is it not funny anymore?

cause its that time of the month for you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Too many new users trolling around thats the problem offering lame jokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

tech2 wrote: »
    Too many new users trolling around thats the problem offering lame jokes
    Reported.

Reason ~ Not a lame joke

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Flutt - Reading your post made me think. A lot of the mindless chuckles and light-hearted laughs I derived from AH had come from reading about your toilet escapades. I miss them.

Must look out for more adventures from the toilet-bowl.

*wipes away tear*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

K4t wrote: »
    Reported.

Give me a proper reason and Ill accept my punishment

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Because people keep moaning about things and dont contribute anything funny.
    Here, have a cookie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

What do you mean no more "dumb crap"??

This is the capital of "dumb crap"!!

Go to Politics if you want serious threads.
    Ireland > Politics > Serious > GTFO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Was it ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It was great back in the day. I could be wrong, maybe it was just because I was 17 in 2002 and it seemed better.

Boards.ie has a certain decorum to it, and AH is probably one of the most popular forums. New members are great - the more the merrier - but we're getting people appearing in and posting crap in AH 2 hours after joining. And other noobs think that it's the way it's done.

And a lot of it is just crap. 'Two fingers to the recession'. And most of the time the thread isn't actually that bad, it's the quality of the posts that's taking the piss.

In my day, you were flamed to shiSIZE="2"]t[/SIZE if you acted like a moron. Today's posters lack discipline and decorum.

I'm sure nobody will agree with me on this, but I'd love to see a 200(ish) minimum post count before being able to post on AH or Humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

banquo wrote: »
    It was great back in the day. I could be wrong, maybe it was just because I was 17 in 2002 and it seemed better.

Boards.ie has a certain decorum to it, and AH is probably one of the most popular forums. New members are great - the more the merrier - but we're getting people appearing in and posting crap in AH 2 hours after joining. And other noobs think that it's the way it's done.

And a lot of it is just crap. 'Two fingers to the recession'. And most of the time the thread isn't actually that bad, it's the quality of the posts that's taking the piss.

In my day, you were flamed to shiSIZE="2"]t[/SIZE if you acted like a moron. Today's posters lack discipline and decorum.

I'm sure nobody will agree with me on this, but I'd love to see a 200(ish) minimum post count before being able to post on AH or Humour.

That would quite likely bump up the amount of gibberish posts in other fora though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

TPD wrote: »
    That would quite likely bump up the amount of gibberish posts in other fora though.

True...

/strokes beard thoughtfully

Is there, like, a playpen we can put the flaming teenies in? With lots of rotating colours and the like. Something really annoying.

Like I said, in my day you were flamed until you got the message: no annoying crap for the sake of your post count. 'Lol' is not a post. 'Yore ma' is not a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I'm a teenie, where is this colourful playpen you speak of?

but seriously, I think what I meant to ask is do other people think AH is gone crap or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

but seriously, I think what I meant to ask is do other people think AH is gone crap or is it just me?

Depends on what we're comparing it to. Bebo?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

compare it to AH say even a year ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Flutt - Reading your post made me think. A lot of the mindless chuckles and light-hearted laughs I derived from AH had come from reading about your toilet escapades. I miss them.

*wipes away tear*

Well I'm glad to hear that, indeed a lot of posters secretly got a a chuckle ,but as I said, the buttoned down lot ,like the Taliban, got in, and that was that.

I am grateful to be allowed to post bi-monthly on this serious subject, but feel the spontaneity has gone, and it will be like a dump in a Tuff-Loo , dull and boring.
    I realise not all people liked my subject matter,but jaysus,when you unload a ripe steamer of epic proportions, you are somewhat akin to the hen after laying.
    You need to cluck loudly to draw attention to the feat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

After hours is only as good / funny as the people who post here.

The Boards community is constanly growing. So there's alot more traffic in AH... why is this? Because AH is more relaxed, and meant to be fun imo. If AH was so sh1t people would soon find somewhere else to post.

It's supposed to be a light hearted bit of craic. Can we discuss serious topics? Course we can but at the end of the day it's not the admins or the mods making the threads...it's us.

Will everyone be happy all the time? No. Should everyone be happy all the time? no, where's the fun in that. You have to take the good posts with the bad posts, it's what makes the good posts great ;)

Thanks whoring, well people just stop thanking those "thank me" posts and that problem is solved.

<3 AH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I blame the thanks button

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I think most funny AH threads adhere to the simple formula of

1. Quote recent news story
    2. Quote Father Ted
    3. ???
    4. Profit

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The worst-named forum on Boards, at your service :)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1146

I'm pretty sure there was a thread in here this time last year making the exact same point (i.e. that After Hours was not as cool as it used to be). Methinks people just get bored of it after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Have you done anything to help make it a funny place?

your **** if you don't like it go somewhere else. i think its grand
    Banned.
    Note to self. Ban this guy after submitting this post.

But there are also rockers.
    I'm a mod and I rock.

I heard from a friend that all the mods on all forums were told to clean the place up, cos the owners don't want to upset the companies buying advert space.

Don't belive that for a second meself.
    Your friend is lying.
    I don't have any affiliation with Daft.ie. They can suck my balls.

Dunno if they're banned or anything, but they don't appear as much, so that's a good thing.
    They have been curtailed.

m83 wrote: »
    Good point OP, I couldn't agree more, AH has definitely gone to the dogs.

For a while I thought this was down to it being too heavily moderated. Take today's Jade Goody debacle for instance. The thing was a f*cking mess and a mod had to step in to sort it all out with bans, infractions and deleting of posts. All very school teacher type punishments but they are the only tools of the trade here on boards.

However at the same time, take a look at the same topic on B3ta (http://www.b3ta.com/links/293855 NSFW: Language). This is a site often compared to 4chan for its sick and twisted humour and is run by non other than Rob Manuel, the founder of Sickipedia. Sure a lot of people took swipes at Goody but there's enough cop on amongst the users to show some respect for the dead. I've been a member there for 3 years and in my opinion it is a much friendlier place to post than AH (this even being a place where two members can verbally abuse eachother without retribution). Even now, I'm wondering will this post get deleted but such is the schoolboy/teacher relationship which exists between normal users and mods.

But if it isn't moderators spoiling the party then what is it? Would it be daft to suggest a stricter policy is being applied from the top down. Well that could be a stretch and maybe one for the tinfoil hat brigade of the conspiracy theories forum.

Well ok if that takes the mods and owners out of the equation, what's left? Please don't say the recession. F*ck the recession. Yes times are tougher now but none of us are starving on the street because of it. So you might have to wait another 6 months until you get a new laptop, boo hoo I say.

So Boardsies I put it to you, yes you, you are the reason why AH is a mere shadow of it's former self! There is a massive community of people in this forum but nothing good comes of it, nothing! Any serious discussion is swiftly moved to it's correct forum, far away from the sharp edged dunce caps of the AH dumbies. Let's face it, this is the butthole of Boards, a collective of foggy notioned know-it-alls and half-arsed wanna be's, lolling and trolling with one hand on the mouse, the other scratching their arse.

But I say no more! If this forum is going to pick up again it needs some fresh content. We've all been guilty of the crap threads, no pun intended. But AH cannot carry on in this way with such gutter postings. It's repetitive and boring, repetetive and boring, repetetive and ...

Well I'm going to do my bit. No more recession threads. No more toilet threads. No more Polish are racists threads. Just no more dumb crap that I'd otherwise read in yesterdays freshly greased tabloids.

Rant over. Delete me, lock me, mock me... whatever. But I'll be back with, I hope, some threads to make this a better place in future because without good content this place is, like me... finished.
    Once again, Daft.ie can suck my balls.
    They are only investors and do not have a say in what I do.
    If I get demodded for this, then you can have your conspiracy theory.
    I'll probably get demodded for other stuff, so don't let that interfere with stuff. I'm tired.

*wipes away tear*

Things change and boards has changed too.
    We are getting a lot more people migrating from Bebo and such and they are new to the format here.
    They will either adapt, leave of their own accord, get sitebanned or bring something new to the site. I prefer the last one.

As for the post limit, never going to happen.
    AH is here to take the pressure off the other niche forums.

True...

/strokes beard thoughtfully

Is there, like, a playpen we can put the flaming teenies in? With lots of rotating colours and the like. Something really annoying.

Like I said, in my day you were flamed until you got the message: no annoying crap for the sake of your post count. 'Lol' is not a post. 'Yore ma' is not a post.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1146
    Links?
    Well I'm glad to hear that, indeed a lot of posters secretly got a a chuckle ,but as I said, the buttoned down lot ,like the Taliban, got in, and that was that.

I am grateful to be allowed to post bi-monthly on this serious subject, but feel the spontaneity has gone, and it will be like a dump in a Tuff-Loo , dull and boring.
    I realise not all people liked my subject matter,but jaysus,when you unload a ripe steamer of epic proportions, you are somewhat akin to the hen after laying.
    You need to cluck loudly to draw attention to the feat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

I dont think its changed that much except a lot more morons seem to post here lately.

As a policy we do not ban people for being idiots.
    Idiotic posts are a different thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Maybe there should be a change in policy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

But there are also rockers.

which brings us onto rocker chicks

• Advertisement

congo_90 wrote: »
    which brings us onto rocker chicks
    An Ah mod wept.
    Not me.

Advertisement