Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defrosting raw chicken in the microwave?

Options
  • 20-03-2009 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Is it ok to defrost raw chicken in the micowave?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

hmmm, i done it last night, didnt think there would be anything wrong with :o

but happily des is still alive today:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I do it all the time. If it's fillets, you do have to be a bit careful to not over do it as the thinner parts of the fillet (the "pointy" end bit) can start to cook already. Usually if I'm doing it to cut the fillet up into cubes or strips though, I'll usually stop the defrosting process when the fillet is not 100% defrosted and still slightly "firm" to the touch, which avoids that problem as well as making it easier to cut, especially if you're wanting to make thin strips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

personally I wont do it - but the lads I live with will defrost chickens/fish/lamb etc etc in the microwave.

I just throw mine in the grill/oven and cook it from frozen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I do it regularly with fillets, but wouldn't do it with a whole chicken.

Slightly under-defrosted is better than slightly over-defrosted in my opinion. It's then easy to slice them very thinly and then they cook very quickly.

On reflection, my first line above sounds a bit dodge... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Substances have things called "loss factors". It is sort of a measure of how well they absorb microwaves. Different substances have different loss factors at different temperatures too.

Ice does not absorb microwaves well, water does. If you put a frozen burger in a microwave and heat on full the ice does not absorb well, the moment a spot defrosts it becomes water. This spot of water then sort of sucks all the microwaves in, making a "hot spot". Now this snowballs, the hot water defrosts the ice around it by conduction. You end up with a spot fully cooked and brown and possibly dried out and hard, while other bits are fully frozen.

To overcome this effect you should run frozen food under a hot tap to defrost it all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Can anyone explain to me, from a food safety point of view, why it is considered ok to defrost a chicken in a microwave but (according to some here) some sort of gung ho flirting with food poisoning, throw you chicken in the bin activity to defrost a chicken in warm water?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Can anyone explain to me, from a food safety point of view, why it is considered ok to defrost a chicken in a microwave but (according to some here) some sort of gung ho flirting with food poisoning, throw you chicken in the bin activity to defrost a chicken in warm water?

Because some people lack common sense and prefer listening to myths & old wives tales.

omg

Stop flogging this dead horse!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Not this again :rolleyes:.

1. To the OP: If your microwave has a defrost setting, you can use that to defrost chicken if you have to. Portion it up as much as you can, and be very careful because the thin bits on the edges of fillets will start to cook before the rest is defrosted. Ensure the chicken is piping hot throughout before serving.

2. To those who have "other" methods for defrosting chicken: Just because you haven't died, doesn't mean it's safe. Health and Safety guidelines say you should only defrost chicken in the refridgerator, or in cold water if you must. Until I get an official decision from the higher ups that posters can give out whatever dangerous advice they like, then stick to that.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Not this again :rolleyes:.

1. To the OP: If your microwave has a defrost setting, you can use that to defrost chicken if you have to. Portion it up as much as you can, and be very careful because the thin bits on the edges of fillets will start to cook before the rest is defrosted. Ensure the chicken is piping hot throughout before serving.

2. To those who have "other" methods for defrosting chicken: Just because you haven't died, doesn't mean it's safe. Health and Safety guidelines say you should only defrost chicken in the refridgerator, or in cold water if you must. Until I get an official decision from the higher ups that posters can give out whatever dangerous advice they like, then stick to that.

In 1. You state that you can defrost chicken in the microwave.

but

In 2. You state that chicken should only be defrosted in the fridge or in cold water.

I'm sure you'll forgive my confusion here.

And my question remains; why is it ok in a microwave which will heat parts of the chicken to above 5 degrees?

In 1. You state that you can defrost chicken in the microwave.

but

In 2. You state that chicken should only be defrosted in the fridge or in cold water.

I'm sure you'll forgive my confusion here.

And my question remains; why is it ok in a microwave which will heat parts of the chicken to above 5 degrees?

I said you can if you must, and your microwave has a defrost setting. Now, I know nothing about microwaves, but I imagine the defrost setting is substantially cooler than the cook setting, lowering the risk of the chicken cooking in parts. You'll also notice I said to portion it up as much as possible, which speeds up the defrosting and reduces likelihood of areas getting to above 5 degrees.

Here's a Health and Safety website with a handy table drawn up: http://www.nzfsa.govt.nz/consumers/food-safety-topics/foodborne-illnesses/freezing-thawing/fact-sheet-frozen-foods4_6.htm

The following is advice on defrosting in water taken from Faith's link above.

ensure the water is flowing slowly or replaced frequently • ensure water is from a safe source and cooler than
    21°C

• ensure food stays below
    4°C
    • ensure food is in a leak-proof bag

Pretty good advise, I'd say.

The following is advice on defrosting in water taken from Faith's link above.

ensure the water is flowing slowly or replaced frequently • ensure water is from a safe source and cooler than
    21°C

• ensure food stays below
    4°C
    • ensure food is in a leak-proof bag

Pretty good advise, I'd say.

Indeed. You noted, no doubt, that >21°C is cold water.

Faith wrote: »
    Indeed. You noted, no doubt, that >21°C is cold water.

Considering that my tap water comes out at about 9 degrees c, I'm not so sure.

Depends on what one considers warm water.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This link gives info on the 3 main methods of defrosting poultry - Refrigeration, Cold Water & Microwave.

While we all have personal preferences on defrosting - maybe the OP would be better off taking advice from the website of a recognised food safety organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Hill Billy wrote: »
    This link gives info on the 3 main methods of defrosting poultry - Refrigeration, Cold Water & Microwave.

While we all have personal preferences on defrosting - maybe the OP would be better off taking advice from the website of a recognised food safety organisation.

Or if the op's microwave was manufactured by a large multinational corporation with considerably deeper pockets to sue if their instructions were not safe, I'd follow the microwave manufacturer's instructions...

Hill Billy wrote: »

A very wise poster.;)

People are very quick to take what's said here as fact although we often give contradictory advice!

Advertisement