Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic in limerick

Options
  • 27-09-2002 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

The level of traffic in Limerick has reached a "taking the piss" level in just a few short weeks. NOt lloking for horror stories here, just wondering....

1. who is responsible for planning the dublin road/groudy bridge/parkway roundabout/drainage scheme on dublin road fiasco?

2. who do i not vote for next election to show my distaste for a total lack of planning or a "look the other way" attitude.

3. why are their no signage to state how long these "little" projects are going to last for?

4. why is it ok for these people to decide one day with no notification to stop all traffic in one direction and dig a hole in the middle of the busiest artery?

today it was bumber to bumper all day on every route into and out of limerick...i thought a week or two it couldnt get worse, but now i shudder to think what next week will bring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I know what you mean, Yank. I live in Ballyclough and work in Castletroy. I *usually* drive into work along the new bypass, onto Childers Road, down to the Parkway Roundabout and down to the Tech Park via the Groody Roundabout.

I left home at 8:10 on Tuesday. It took me until 8:35 to get to Childers Road. I got into work at 9:15. Its only 7 miles FFS.

So every morning since then, I've left the house at 7:30. Much lighter traffic.

Another story - I went to Damien Rice in UL on Wednesday night. Left there about 11:30pm. Thought there would be no traffic. Hit the Groody Roundabout and was stuck there for 15 minutes!!!! The workmen were still working, and they decided to put up a traffic light system with (seemingly) a 3 minute green light on outbound traffic and only a 1 minute greenlight on inbound traffic. Thats how it seemed to me, anyway. Got home at 12-ish

No idea how long they're going to take, but I'll keep leaving early in the morning and going home via the back roads in the evening until I hear that they're finished.

- Dave.

According to the AA Roadwatch site, pipes are being laid outside the Hurlers pub "until approximately the end of September."

Which is today.

Fingers crossed its nearly over, so.....

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Thankfully I dont have to go anywhere near Castletroy to get from home to work in town. Besides Castletroy the traffic in Limerick is terrible anyway. Between 12 and 5 every Friday the city is almost at a standstill and only last week it was anounced that the new tunnel would not be finished until 2008.

An absolute joke.

What tunnel ??

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

What tunnel ??
    they are building a tunnel in the mungret area to join the presnt shannon/ennis road so when this is done u can drive from clare side of the shannon to just beond annacoty without entering the city center,it will be great when its finished IN 2008!!!!!.the traffic is so bad and the bus service is so unreliable i have walk from rosbrien to LIT every morning or else i will be late for collage it takes a dam hour each way

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone is interested, the Dublin Road outside the Hurlers is open again, allowing 2 way traffic.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

You wnat to go anywhere in limerick, get a bike. then get an army poncho for the weather, and bring a changeof clothes everywhere.

Also, who else has experienced the Pakistani Bus Service/Limerick Bus Service. Im sure if there was a ladder the drivers would have people on the roof of the buses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭yankinlk

seriuosly . its brutal. much worse than when i first opened this thread! even though the only project left to complete is groudy bridge it is far far worse all day and into the night round the dublin road.

i seen traffic into limerick backed up as far as dalys cross the other morning...DALYS CROSS! how many miles is that? 5?

LOL... Daly's Cross?

You need a 4x4 to get by the groudy bridge roadworks now. God only knows what its doing to my shocks.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Agreed, Dave, it's a delight to go over that particular section of roadworks at the moment. I was stuck *on* the groody roundabout for half an hour yesterday (and it wasn't peak traffic - - it was only 14:30).

Traffic around Castletroy seems to be worse this year than ever before - and it can't just be due to the roadworks, though of course they're playing a factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Tell me about it!
    The missus thought it was good idea to go shopping in the big mall near the Regional hospital.
    Me being completely clueless about directions in Limerick made the absolutely brilliant decision to head over Sarsfield bridge around 4:30 pm....
    'nuff said...

UPDATE

Dont want to bother with a new thread...but seriously these issues need to be addressed.

All the groudy bridge fiasco has done is bring the dublin road traffic closer in to the city. dublin road is clear into twon and out every morning, but childers road is now the road form hell. 4 main arteries for limerick pass through this road at snails pace...dublin, cork, tipp all have to go through it.

why roundabouts? why not lights? or at least lighted roundabouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

I've noticed that it can get fairly sh1tty just after the Parkway roundabout on the way in towards Clare St. On the whole though I think the new road has improved things, for me anyway! Thankfully I don't have to go near Childers Rd though! I just wish people would use the correct lanes as they approach the roundabout from Castletroy.

On a similar note, my friends dad got a court summons for using the right hand lane as he approaced the Groody roundabout coming down the hill. FFS, I would have thought a fine would have sufficed. I'm often guilty of this myself but always wary of cops being there and if I did see one I'd just go straight around the roundabout, and back to the original side, which I would be perfectly entitled to do.

Originally posted by John2002
    On a similar note, my friends dad got a court summons for using the right hand lane as he approaced the Groody roundabout coming down the hill. FFS, I would have thought a fine would have sufficed. I'm often guilty of this myself but always wary of cops being there and if I did see one I'd just go straight around the roundabout, and back to the original side, which I would be perfectly entitled to do.
    Coming from Castletroy heading towards town? No offense, but that is the most abused, incorrectly used roundabout in Limerick. Although the one beside the Roxboro swimming pool (on the new road) is catching up. Today the traffic was backed up from the childers road back past the roundabout and onto the new road. The considerate drivers queued patiently to get around the roundabout, whereas the impatient w*nkers zipped up the fast lane to avoid queueing and tried to rejoin the queue further up. I'd love if they stuck a cop at that roundabout some morning....
    why roundabouts? why not lights? or at least lighted roundabouts?
    YEAH! Set the roundabouts on FIRE!! They won't go near them then! ;)

- Dave.

rofl

On a similar note, my friends dad got a court summons for using the right hand lane as he approaced the Groody roundabout coming down the hill.

Good.

I really hate people who do that - do they think they're that important that the road regulations don't apply to them? Going around the childers road out to castletroy and back (daily in and out) I get in the correct lane every time. Where there's a delay in my lane, I wait. I've the same lack of sympathy for people who get in the left lane leaving the tech park when they're turning right. Idiots all. Why did he get a summons rather than a fine? Probably because there was no way what he did (and I assume he does it on a regular basis) could be explained as a mistake. Tough. Hope he gets more if he continues to do it.

Do I seem harsh? Perhaps - but if you can justify deliberately getting in the wrong lane just because it suits him to jump the queue and endanger others as he crosses lanes on the roundabout, I'll retract the comments.

<applauds>

- Dave.

Originally posted by sceptre
    do they think they're that important that the road regulations don't apply to them?

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, Sceptre. You openly admit to having done 110mph in another thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=632898#post632898

A deserted straight road, John. There is a difference between driving fast on an empty straight road, and driving like an asshole in the wrong lane endangering yourself and others.

- Dave.

Yes, well a deserted straight stretch of the Dublin road, late at night, is where a friend of mine knocked down and killed a person who stumbled out in front of him. My friend wasn't speeding but it goes to show that accidents can happen anywhere, but it is fact that they are more likely to happen when speed is involved.

• Advertisement

Fair point, John.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Thats a sad story John2002.

Regarding the approach to the Groody roundabout going in to town, what is legally wrong with somebody driving up the right hand lane and doing a full 360 on the roundabout. I do it all the time and I skip loads of traffic. If some eejit copper stops me I just say that I was going to go into the NTP and then changed my mind and decided to go into town instead. This type of thing happens in Dublin all of the time and is accepted as the norm.

Yep, it is pretty sad.

There was a cop there this morning at about 8.45 but he had nothing to do I'd say because this issue seems to have been resolved (or rather moved on) since the new road opened. Now the issue seems to be people taking the lane for the Parkway (on the new road) for going in to town, which slows everything down as soon as you get to the roundabout.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, Sceptre. You openly admit to having done 110mph in another thread.

Can't argue with that point & I won't - my speeding was wrong at the time.

I'm not going to defend it, nor would I have complained if I'd received a fine (or a court date) for a clear violation of the traffic acts.

Therein lies the difference (I wouldn't complain about it) - not where and when (though a possible danger could be said to have a difference in application compared with a guaranteed inconvenience to others and danger crossing the roundabout lanes. Oh yeah - I don't continue to do it at all (let alone "often" as you say you do either)).

Your point still stands successfully as fair on its own merits though.

Originally posted by thegills
    Regarding the approach to the Groody roundabout going in to town, what is legally wrong with somebody driving up the right hand lane and doing a full 360 on the roundabout.

Nothing at all on a legal level.

Advertisement