Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

lebby wrote: »
    None of us actually used them but some condoms still went missing which she was not very happy about!" she had a Vanessa Feltz style melt down after 2 days. the one time she odered food was a chicken burgser from eddie rockets. then the waitress came back and said thet had no chicken left. so she took it as a sign from god that she was not meant to eat that day. then she used to stick post-its all around the apartment reminding ppl to clean up. i mean for gods sake we were on our bloody holidays!!!!in my opinion the worst quality a person can ever have is stinginess!!! its horrble!!!!
    Sure you didnt.....

You went on holidays to a place where there was an Eddie Rockets:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sure you didnt.....

You went on holidays to a place where there was an Eddie Rockets:confused:
    Gran Canaria

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Gran Canaria
    Its spreading:eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Canteen here hit a new low on being stingy.
    Since a few days you ll have to pay for your sugar and milk you are using in the coffee.

I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

In our flats in college we have a meter. We turned off everything in the flat other than the appliance for a number of things. It worked out cheaper to boil a litre of water a on hob than boil in kettle.

This post is far more on topic than I originally intended.

i think you may have too much time on your hands. what was the difference in cost between the two?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mystified Pingu

Lads I could tell you some stories (my log-in & cuprit's names changed to protect the not-so innocent)...

One lad I know used to fill his pockets with tomato ketchup sachets in the canteen to avoid paying for them with his lunch (they cost 5c each). He never bought new footwear, every six months he would order a new pair of safety boots from the company and wear those until they fell off him (other pairs would be passed back home to his brothers!)

In the mornings he used to squeeze three sausages into a styrofoam cup and put a lid on it (since tea & coffee was free) and then pay for two slices of toast. I wouldn't mind but this guy won some money years ago, mortgage payed off etc .... unbelieveable!

One time he bought a second-hand phone off a guy we worked with and gave it to his wife for christmas. The thing wasn't even passable as new, it was in bits!

One time I invited this guy to a hallowe'en party and when he left he took all the balloons down off the walls to bring home so his children could play with them???? He arrived at the party without a stitch of alcohol and drank me out of house and home all night :mad: the hungry bastard...

The best was the night we had a work night out in town with a tab behind the bar. This amadan arrives about 20 minutes before everyone else with his wife, his brother & the brothers wife and proceeds to tear a titanic-size hole in the tab. We start arriving and can;'t believe this. FFS, at one stage the brothers wife wanted to pay for a round and we heard him saying "No, sit down, I'll go and get them, shure they're FREE!"

Another night we were out and there was still money behind the bar (we were all polluted drunk at this stage) and it broke his heart that there might be some freebies going to waste, so he starts ordering three pints of guinness at a time, drinking a few sips out of one before moving onto the next one :confused: and then when we got throw out we only noticed once in the taxi that he had two pints with him :rolleyes: louse.

A guy I work with now is not quite as bad - but he does stuff like ask you for a loan of €2 for his lunch and then never pay you back, one evening at heading-home time he asked me for a loan of €2 so he could buy the paper on the way home, I was so embarrassed that like a fecking fool I gave it to him.... :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I used to go to a butcher in santry a few times a week to get stuff that i'd cook in work,often i'd be buying ofr a few colleagues too.
    one time i was getting the ingredients for a two-person mixed grill and i had a tenner on me.
    The bloke weighed everything and it came to 10.20.
    Rather than let me pay him the 20 cent next time i was in,he took a sausage out of the bag and put it back in the display.
    Miserable cnunt,i never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

When doing a post grad in limerick a few years ago we used to frequent the college bar every friday at around 2-3pm for a few pints anyways we had about 6rounds over the course of 3hours. My round came we were all drinking guinness (a pint was 3.40 back in the day) so 3 pints was 10.20. Gave the bar man 10euro though it was grand considering we where there for the last few hours At the bar decided id bring 2 down as I had a few in me at this stage so left one at the bar, as i didnt want to tempt faith carrying all 3 pint glassed. returned for it the (new) barman waited by my pint and asked for the additional 20c.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ahmed89

inforfun wrote: »
    Canteen here hit a new low on being stingy.
    Since a few days you ll have to pay for your sugar and milk you are using in the coffee.

I kid you not.
    what!!!!!:eek:
    very stingy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

In our flats in college we have a meter. We turned off everything in the flat other than the appliance for a number of things. It worked out cheaper to boil a litre of water a on hob than boil in kettle.

This post is far more on topic than I originally intended.
    "I can do science, me":D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Degsy wrote: »
    I used to go to a butcher in santry a few times a week to get stuff that i'd cook in work,often i'd be buying ofr a few colleagues too.
    one time i was getting the ingredients for a two-person mixed grill and i had a tenner on me.
    The bloke weighed everything and it came to 10.20.
    Rather than let me pay him the 20 cent next time i was in,he took a sausage out of the bag and put it back in the display.
    Miserable cnunt,i never went back.

Go on tell us, was this on the Shantalla Road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i stayed in a hotel that had all te stuff in the mini bar in hatches. if you opened the hatch you got charged so if you took something out and then put it back you got charged twice

Was that in Japan, cos thats the only place I have ever seen that, and it was a very special kind of hotel too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

When we had a college house in drumcondra the electricity was paid for on a real old meter that took 2 euro coins, ie. wed be sitin watchin telly and all of a sudden bam. lights go out telly goes off and we have to put a 2 euro coin into it

well we managed to unscrew the front of this box without breakin the seal on the screws and jam a matchstick into the spinning wheel thing (it was a v wierd meter) and hey presto , free electricity for the year!

loving this thread

c4cat wrote: »
    Was that in Japan, cos thats the only place I have ever seen that, and it was a very special kind of hotel too

it was in a hotel just beside heathrow actually

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Not been on boards for nearly a week now. Took ages to catch up on all this thread. Best thread ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

A certain restaurant in Carlow has been found out..

They've been stealing the scraps and gone off food from a certain butchers that was outside in a skip, cooking it and selling it on to paying customers.

Stinginess indeed..
    Will be in the papers soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Tom Trojan

Penny tip

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Fantastic thread, a rollercoaster of emotions so far.

I was involuntarily stingy just before Christmas. I put 80c into the Coke machine in work and it killed it. Lights went off, not a word from it. As it was the 18th or something, I thought I'd better report this to the vending machine company, lest my colleagues were left bereft of the world's favourite fizzy black shrub n' sugar beverage over the season they practically invented.

So I called up the freefone number, gave the machine reference number and my name and address.

I get home after Christmas to discover a heavy-ish envelope in the hall. They'd only gone and refunded me the 80c - not by voucher but by sellotaping 50, 20 and 10 cent coins to my letter.

I'm kinda mortified over it, like I genuinely was more worried about the machine not being fixed this side of Christmas than my fecking 80c. The letter, with coins, is now stuck to my fridge door, prior to its eventual deposit in a Trocaire box. In the meantime, I have a weird pride towards it.

One more story; as a 16/17 year old, a friend from my road and I used to go every Friday to a certain pub/dancehall where ID was a dirty word.

We both had part time jobs but every penny mattered and getting there was a pain. Luckily, my Dad was often available for lifts but when he wasn't, her Dad would take us. Her Dad is a taxi driver. Can you see what's coming?

Yep - my Dad, being an obliging fella, never charged but hers did. Now I know it was a Friday night and he could be picking up fares but to quote Gob - "COME ON!"

Anyway he's a lovely man and I couldn't really hold against him. But still....

(Apologies for length, btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I once worked with a VERY mean man. He had a drawer filled with sugar sachets, sauce sachets, salt, pepper, tiny portions of jam and anything else he could take from coffee shops. He used to send one of the messengers in work up town to do his shopping. The poor bloke was sent to Hanlons in Moore St to buy your man his Sunday dinner. He was told to get a chicken and bash it off the wall cos bruised chickens were 50p cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jackblack99

When doing a post grad in limerick a few years ago we used to frequent the college bar every friday at around 2-3pm for a few pints anyways we had about 6rounds over the course of 3hours. My round came we were all drinking guinness (a pint was 3.40 back in the day) so 3 pints was 10.20. Gave the bar man 10euro though it was grand considering we where there for the last few hours At the bar decided id bring 2 down as I had a few in me at this stage so left one at the bar, as i didnt want to tempt faith carrying all 3 pint glassed. returned for it the (new) barman waited by my pint and asked for the additional 20c.

If any one is stingy in that post its you. If a every barman done that for every1 at the end of the night you wouldnt be long before the till is down a good few euro. Pay the man what you owe him

• Advertisement

Sweeno wrote: »
    When we had a college house in drumcondra the electricity was paid for on a real old meter that took 2 euro coins, ie. wed be sitin watchin telly and all of a sudden bam. lights go out telly goes off and we have to put a 2 euro coin into it

well we managed to unscrew the front of this box without breakin the seal on the screws and jam a matchstick into the spinning wheel thing (it was a v wierd meter) and hey presto , free electricity for the year!

loving this thread
    Did your landlord never question why there was no money in the never for the whole year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

If any one is stingy in that post its you. If a every barman done that for every1 at the end of the night you wouldnt be long before the till is down a good few euro. Pay the man what you owe him

I agree...you were the cheeky one here..:confused: thinking you could just throw him a tenner and that he wld be so grateful he would let you off with 20c

The barman is an employee and when the figures dont add up at the end of the night someone has to explain why to the manager..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

I agree...you were the cheeky one here..:confused: thinking you could just throw him a tenner and that he wld be so grateful he would let you off with 20c

The barman is an employee and when the figures dont add up at the end of the night someone has to explain why to the manager..

I also agree - but wonder who Faith is and how you would have tempted her?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Was in a taxi last night,heading home.First thing the driver says to me "Tha' recession wha'

Driving for a few minutes,at a crossroads,BANG,some chick drove into the back of the cab.

He gets out,swaps details with her,his car was perfect,her front light smashed to bits.He tells me he'll knock a few quid off.

Get to mine.Fare on the meter is €9:80,He asks me for €8.Cheeky [EMAIL="b@stard"]b@stard[/EMAIL].

Usually costs me less than €7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

One time I was in the college bar, and some guy made a big fuss over giving the barman the 20c he owed for his drinks.....the scab!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Tom Trojan wrote: »
    Penny tip
    Is this not usually left as an insult/means of signifying unhappiness with the service (albeit in a very passive aggressive way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

bitch bitch bitch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Did your landlord never question why there was no money in the never for the whole year?

ah we got guilty every few weeks and took the match out for a day or two but im sure the esb were a little confused when we left, but they could only blame the landlord and she was a daft old woman anyway so we got away with it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's this government that tell us to use public transport. But they don't give money to the bus company so we use cars and pay more VAT , VRT, excise and Koyoto carbon tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I made this post by cutting and pasting words from other people's posts.
    How's that for stingy? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement