Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

I was serving a group of Germans drinks once, gave one a glass of guinness @ €2.30... she gave me €2.50, i gave her her 20c... the bitch asked for two 10cents instead and gave me one of them as a tip.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

towel401 wrote: »
    I know someone who knows someone from Holland who bought a dishwasher and after a few weeks decided to stop using it because it uses so much power

whats wrong with that.?
    u musnt have been around before the celtic tiger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Germans and yanks are notoriously stingy . In the isle of mann they even asked for free postcards in the hotel I was working in .All those subsidised holidays to and the fcukers wont buy a lousy postcard .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I eat cereal with a fork,saves on milk:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Actually I have a self-stingey shout here!:

I was building a piece of furniture a couple of years back and needed to buy a staple gun to do the upholstering. Off I popped to Argos and got one for ~€40 or so. I simply bought a packet of staples in woodies and used them, returning the gun when I was finished as it "wasn't strong enough", no questions asked!! Free staple gun rental!

I wouldn't consider myself stingey at all though, just seemed ridiculous to pay the 40 quid for 15 minutes use! In fact somethin Im lookin at for 2009 is flippantly spending so much money week after week, on myself and others!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Degag wrote: »
    I was serving a group of Germans drinks once, gave one a glass of guinness @ €2.30... she gave me €2.50, i gave her her 20c... the bitch asked for two 10cents instead and gave me one of them as a tip.:mad:

I trust that the next glass of Guinness 'got a seeing to'? ;)

On the statistically remote chance that she got another beer instead of spinning the first one out for 14 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

stovelid wrote: »
    I trust that the next glass of Guinness 'got a seeing to'? ;)

On the statistically remote chance that she got another beer instead of spinning the first one out for 14 hours.
    Yea.... Like an extra special 'head' on her second drink!!

Like we were told growing up not to waste food and we now recycle stuff ( as if it's something new ) People were doing it for generations .

It was called being thrifty but it's important to know the difference between that and meaness .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Was on holiday on a Greek Island a few years back and one night we were out for dinner. There also happened to be a new 'Chanel' shop opening with big fan fare and models everywhere. The place was full of very wealthy and well to do Italians...

Anyway we were in this nice restaurant and some of the Chanel party came in....4 of them looking very important, rich and in their mid to late 50s..the waiters were falling over themselves when they came in...

The 4 Italians made a serious big deal about everything, asked loads of questions and demanded absolute attention...

After a good 20 mins looking at the menu..they order..wait for it...

1 Bottle of beer with four glasses and one 9 inch pizza and four plates which they shared between them..they stayed about an hour and then left to much fanfare.

The waiters were disgusted and the other tables including ours cldnt believe it. They must have spent about €6.00.

Well I've mentioned the yanks and the germans .

Ever notice how the spanish and italians sit over a coffee for .......3 hrs or more ;) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

is it true a stingy person wipes there gary glitter with there hand to save on arse papper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

jonnyirish wrote: »
    i know if someone told me the stories i've told i'd find it hard to believe them too. but i swear on my mother what i've told is 100% real.
    i actually have alot more to tell about him but i know it would seem unbelievable then.

one time we had an italian girl staying with us as a student. when it came to paying the rent she came down with €4 less than the agreed rate. my mother asked why and the italian said some one had taken a yougurt from the fridge which she owned and my brother had used her jam. My mother let it go, 2 weeks later her boyfriend came over to stay for a week and my mother was going to let him stay for free, but she dicided to charge him a resonable rate and gave the money to charity. oh and to top it off my mother had offered to drop her to the airport and on the same day she had to settle the bill- she pulled the same stunt again about the jam and left my mother a few euro short- well my mam flipped and told her to get a taxi to the airport which would cost 40quid from where we live. She was crying and saying sorry and tried to give the money to my mam. she sat in my garden waiting for the taxi whailing crying. she was a stinge bag! pity because she was a Foxy looking bird

Your ma's a legend, id pay to see that :D

latchyco wrote: »

Ever notice how the spanish and italians sit over a coffee for .......3 hrs or more ;) .

In Cork I have often seen 4/5 Spanish or Italian students sitting in a bar around one glass of guinness for hours on end...and literally staring at it as if it is going to start doing headstands...:)

In Cork I have often seen 4/5 Spanish or Italian students sitting in a bar around one glass of guinness for hours on end...and literally staring at it as if it is going to start doing headstands...:)
    Yeah you saw them to .If we did that over in their gaff they would throw us out on the street ......seriously :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

lee_arama wrote: »
    Dude, I hate to make this anything other than a stingy thread but those are signs of depression. Without telling you your job as a family member it might be an idea to inform her GP. Then just follow it up to make sure he/she wasn't fobbed off or got lazy.

She has been like previously described ALL her life. Over the years she has been to many, many doctors. Nope, depression is not her problem. She is just one mean cow. Sooner she stops breathing, the world will be a better place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Cherryvega

latchyco wrote: »

That's more a social norm than being tight, where time is spent enjoying company rather than the the main focus being the amount of food/drink you can consume in the quickest amount of time. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Often accompanied by a blanket look of confusion as they huddle in their raincoats, waiting for the fabled Irish 'craic' to manifest itself, and wonder why all they can see is fat, inebriated blokes watching English football on Sky Sports.

Cherryvega wrote: »
    That's more a social norm than being tight, where time is spent enjoying company rather than the the main focus being the amount of food/drink you can consume in the quickest amount of time. :P
    Yes I agree , understanding different social customs is nice and educational .

But somehow six irishmen sitting around one glass of guinness in Rome ...well it doesnt have the same appeal .:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Degag wrote: »

Sure... I bet you were rubbing your hands with glee when she asked for two 10 cent pieces.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

That's all well and good but this isn't England.

The bloke is French and in France a pint is about 8 euro (possibly just in the rip off tourist places I've been to).

In Ireland, 2.20 doesn't get you a pint. End of. Slamming yer pittance down and demanding it because it can be had for that in other places in the world is no justification. When in Rome....

For example, a tube of Colgate toothpaste costs about 25 cent in Thailand. March up to the checkout here (or England for that matter) slam down your toothpaste and 25cent and see what you get...

hint- nothin if you're lucky, squirt of toothpaste in the eye if you're not. and rightfully so.

Well if you're happy to keep getting ripped off you will be constantly. You have to compare like for like when talking about different economies. And seeing as how the average wage in the UK is comparable, if not higher in most cases, then prices of goods should also be similar. A similar mobile phone contract costs over €1000 more over 18 months in Ireland than it does in the UK, although the UK package has a better text package.

You are getting ripped off left right and centre in Ireland, and while many of the people described on this thread are being ridiculous quite a few people who sound financially sensible are being ridiculed too. And it's that attitude which allows companies to rip people off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I dunno, me missus was over here for a few days at the new year and I practically had to hold her down on the ground to stop her paying for us. Even though I said dinner was on me! And when i was over to Italy last year I was out on the piss with her and her mates. I decided to buy a giraffe for the table (big fecking tank of lovely beer) and pay for it just cos i felt like being nice. And they all put their share in when i wasn't looking and even tried to pay for me in the process. Maybe it's just the older generation that are stingy ****es. some of these stories are brilliant by the way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

My Uncle's wife is a c u n t. There is no better way of putting it

One Christmas she rang up a local Radio station and complained that my Unlce beat her and spent all the money on drink so they couldn't afford presents for the kids. This led to a load of charities sending the family gifts.

My Uncle has extremely weak lungs, cant walk up a stairs without losing his breath and is on an oxygen mask for most of the day. In short he wouldn't beat snow off a rope.

She has sent 4 out of their 5 kids to a school for the disabled so that she receives a grant for them, despite the kids being fine. This means they have received **** all of a normal education.

My parents are god parents to their 13 year old son. This Christmas they were asked to get him runners with velcro (sp?) straps because he cant tie his shoe laces. :mad:

Whenever she is at a family do and there is drink there, like bottles of beer or whatever she will try and sneak some into her pockets and into the kids pockets so she can take it home.

My family gave them our old PC about a year ago. They knew we had a newer one and about 6 months later asked could they have that one as well.

She is a pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DonkeyPunch

I was working in a Trad boozer in Limerick a few years back, Live music from 9 till close. A middle aged German couple came in about 5pm, ordered a pint bottle of cidona and 2 half pint glasses and supped on that between them for the night.

I was working in a Trad boozer in Limerick a few years back, Live music from 9 till close. A middle aged German couple came in about 5pm, ordered a pint bottle of cidona and 2 half pint glasses and supped on that between them for the night.
    I think that might be more to do with their drinking habits than anything .Like 'Generally speaking ' continentals dont drink like the Irish / british .It's like the spanish / italian thing were they sit over their coffee for an hr or two .But it's not good buisness for the pub I agree .

A german beer festival ..now that's a different matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

Biggins wrote: »
    My mother is law is so stingy I have barred her from our home.

Among many, many things, when my wife was young, the mother was so stingy, the daughter (and her sisters) had to spend her babysitting money in order to buy food to feed herself weekly.
    The mother would NEVER buy toys for the kids, only give them what was donated or shared.
    The mother was and still is so stingy that (after I had words with her) for the wifes birthday she actually went and bought a €9.99 doll for her birthday. A cheap plastic doll.
    She never buys Christmas cards, Birthday cards (or presents), never buys anything to keep her home clean, never cleans (I refuse to let my kids enter her home), never buys anything of a personal hygiene nature, I could go on...

Where is her husband? For many years he was in the army and was away a lot. When he came home - he saw how things were and stayed away from there too (and who could blame him!).

When the wife moved out of home and moved in with me, the mother turned up at our door a week later and asked the daughter if she would still be handing up part of her weekly wage to the mother!
    I won't repeat the words of expression I used to the mother in law, I'll leave that to your imagination.
    She tried begging for money too after that - I had just two words for her each time.

You want to meet a stingy person, I'll introduce you to one of the scummiest best (or worst - depending on perspectives).

The day she dies, I'll spit on her grave and sing "Hallelujah".

thats it biggins let it all out:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My former landlady had two houses in the same estate. She would always rent out the box rooms to foreign students for 2 or 3 months because they were too small for permanent lettings.

Anyway, 2 french students who were friends came to live, one in the house I was in, one in the other one, where a friend of mine was also living. The french student in the other house never bought anything like toilet roll (which everyone normally buys in turn). Anyway my friend got fed up of this, and decided to start keeping the toilet roll in her room. For about three days, no new toilet roll appeared in the bathroom, and my friend started to wonder what was going on. It turned out that the french student living in my house was taking 3 or 4 rolls at a time from my house (rolls which I bought) and bringing them over to her friend.

This is only one instance from their stay, and they weren't poor students either, they were getting paid where they worked, and their parents paid for flights back to Paris every two weeks because they were so homesick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Not "mean" but a cute story.

When my brother was 12, our mother sent him to the shop for sausages. The sausages were £1.35 and she gave him £1.50 and told him to keep the change to buy sweets for himself (this was the early 80s- 15p went a lot further).

He comes home half an hour later muching on a bag of sweets but no sausages. Turns out he got to the shop and the sausages had gone up to £1.37 which wouldn't have left him enough for his 15p bag of sweets so he went home without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i guy i work with is the stingiest p***k i have ever met.about 400 people in our building and everyone knows about his antics.he got kicked out of the canteen for going up and buying a cup of tea ,standing at the machine drinking half,then topping it up.then he pays,he goes to a table drinks the tea ,goes back up saying it needs more milk,tops up again with milk ,so he ends up witha cup of milk with a tea bag in the bottom. this went on for weeks before the manager ****ed him out.whenever he gets caught out he acts like a retard so people feel sorry for him.
    he has done worse,thats only the tip of the iceberg

Oh the dutch , how did i forget them ? They are even worse than the other nationalities mentioned ( except maybe the germans ;) )

Oh ....I'll have to come back to this again ......perhaps in 3hrs ......and a bit ....... :p

I was on an exchange in Brittany 14 yrs ago and it was like that episode of the Simpsons..they were absolute misery personified even the other French familes felt sorry for me...but I have been racking my brains to remember moments and it is failing me...prob need extensive psychotherapy to get it out at this stage I'm so repressed
    Hey this is good Therapy and it's all free .Let it all out ......look at Biggins ? :D

• Advertisement

I was on an exchange in Brittany 14 yrs ago and it was like that episode of the Simpsons..they were absolute misery personified even the other French familes felt sorry for me...but I have been racking my brains to remember moments and it is failing me...prob need extensive psychotherapy to get it out at this stage I'm so repressed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement