Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a TV license for IPTV?

Options
  • 29-11-2008 1:12pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just had an interesting thought, do you need to have a TV license if you receive your TV service via IPTV (Smart Telecom) and you have no TV tuners in your home*?

* Basically the TV is a professional model which has no tuner, just a HDMI connection, so basically a big PC monitor.

Also you could ask the same question if you only had Freesat.

BTW I do have a TV license, but I'm looking at new HD TV's and the question suddenly dawned on me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Short answer - yes you do (in the ROI, the law is written to make it so that almost whatever/however you get a TV service, you need a licence).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I would imagine if the TV doesn't have a tuner you're PROBABLY OK, but someone more learned than I will surely be along :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ocluggg

If it's a monitor then no. Plain and simple. It can not pick up tv signals therefore it's not a tv. There's a lot of scare mongering going on in this field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it....

You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, you do require a licence if the computer is used together with any other apparatus to receive a signal.

So it would seem that if you have a TV in the house, even if you DO NOT use it, you still need a licence.

It used to be that if you had a radio you still needed a licence, but they've obviously copped on now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So it would seem that if you have a TV in the house, even if you DO NOT use it, you still need a licence

Yes, unless you take the plug off the TV and just store it, that is OK AFAIK.

Or potentially if you pour glue in the antenna socket, thus crippling it's ability to receive TV.
    It used to be that if you had a radio you still needed a licence, but they've obviously copped on now.

Actually a friend of mine had a big fight with them about this. He had given away his TV, but still had a radio, many letters between him and the department ensued, that went something like this:

Dept: Do you have a radio?
    Friend: Yes
    Dept: Then you need a TV license, it will cover your radio.
    Friend: No, I just need a radio license.
    Dept: We don't do them any more, you'll need to get a TV license.
    Friend: No, the legislation specifys that I only need a radio license, if you can't supply me with one, then that is your problem.
    Dept: Oh ok, then just forget about it, with don't issue radio licenses any more.

I'm surprised more people haven't responded to this thread, surely I'm not the first person to think about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If it's "real" IPTV, you're in a sad hole. As it's sick compared with Cable.

But "real" IPTV you have a "tuner" that "receives" live broadcast TV. You need a licence. A youTube type video isn't a real TV picture, so doesn't count.

A Monitor with a VCR or DVD recorder Tuner, A PC Monitor with PC tuner or Smart/Magnet type IPTV service all need a TV licence.

A TV has to have the mains plug cut off and put in storage, or you have to have a licence. I have experience of this.

"apparatus capable of Broadcast Reception" or some such phrase.

You only need a "Wireless Telegraphy" or Radio Licence for real transmitters. Real CBs are now legal and licence free. Comreg has extensive lists of gadgets that don't need licences to receive or transmit.

A curious feature is that 5.xx GHz analogue video senders seem to be illegal. Only the 2.4GHz ones are Comreg approved. But 5.xx GHz ISM WiFi is OK.

Advertisement