Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Guardian newspaper: €1

Options
  • 13-11-2008 2:41pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

Bit of a silly post this but in case you don't know the Guardian newspaper costs just one euro.

This is far cheaper than the Irish broadsheets and even cheaper than the evening tabloids like Cork's absolutely awful Evening Echo.

For your 1 squid you get the broadsheet, the sports section, the G2 magazine, a little mini book - this week it features World War 1, before it was Englush poets, as well as daily supplements like Guardian Woman etc.

Easily one of the best value purchases you can make IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

jayteecork wrote: »
    Bit of a silly post this but in case you don't know the Guardian newspaper costs just one euro.

This is far cheaper than the Irish broadsheets and even cheaper than the evening tabloids like Cork's absolutely awful Evening Echo.

For your 1 squid you get the broadsheet, the sports section, the G2 magazine, a little mini book - this week it features World War 1, before it was Englush poets, as well as daily supplements like Guardian Woman etc.

Easily one of the best value purchases you can make IMO.

The Times and The Independent are also €1 or within a ten cent range.

None of them are at that price at weekends.

None of them have any serious Irish news coverage, which tends to be important in a newspaper for use in Ireland, so to get a complete view you would need an Irish paper, handicapping the 'value' of The Guardian and its cohorts.

All three as well as The Irish Times and The Irish Independent also have all their content available for free on their online sites.

Oh, and The Guardian is in Berliner format, not broadsheet.

Yeah, bit of a silly post. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

Imagine my disappointment to find this is not about the Nenagh Guardian ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I remember the days when it was 80c LOL. The Guardian is the best paper you can buy in terms of value for money. If you're a regular Irish Times reader and hadn't noticed most of the sports and plenty of the Irish times opinion and international news comes directly from the Guardian, in some cases you'll see stories and interviews in the IT weekend sections which are weeks old since appearing in the Granuiad.

But as said Irish Times & Guardian are online, The Guardian puts its whole paper up around midnight, very handy.

Of course wearing sandles and eating muesli are a must if you do purchase the Guardian, the shopkeeper cant sell it to you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Online version is just as good and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'd say its value is roughly equivalent to that of the Irish Times. The IT is of course more expensive, but it seems to have more content, and Irish news, obviously.

Both websites are excellent (IT and Guardian) and I check them every day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The Guardian is excellent for sport.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have read the Guardian a bit when I worked in the UK, didn't realise it was that cheap over here. Thanks OP, will check it out. It may be free online, but it's not the same as sitting down and reading a newspaper from cover to cover. Good alert :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

my dad buys the Guardian its 100 times bitter than the sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Like crack dealers they got me hooked in college for the princely sum of 10p. You definitely get your money's worth of a read out of it, unlike the Irish Times (which gets half of its sport and British news from it anyway) at E1.80 which barely lasts your morning sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Syferus wrote: »
    The Times and The Independent are also €1 or within a ten cent range.

Sorry but the Indo is 1.80 last time i bought it.

• Advertisement

joeperry wrote: »

I clearly meant The Times (London) and The (English) Independent, having even refered to The IRISH Times and The IRISH Independent later in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

joeperry wrote: »

I think they meant the UK Times and UK Independent:)

Oh sorry:o......... have you been a newsagent for long:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I clearly meant The Times (London) and The (English) Independent, having even refered to The IRISH Times and The IRISH Independent later in my post.

It's OK Syferus, us Irish Times readers knew what you meant. Evidently the Irish Independent readers aren't as well-read :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

eirebhoy wrote: »
    The Guardian is excellent for sport.

I agree. I think the main part of the Guardian is awful (its surprisingly tabloidy), and I'm a muesli-eating, sandal-wearing Green. But the other supplements are usually very good, particularly the sport.

I guess the English papers will always be cheaper because of their higher circulation. Some of them get printed here or used to afaik.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Wish I could get some of the Sports questions right that they have at the back of the section.

Deadly hard IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I get the 'Telegraph' on Saturday. 1.60 it now costs but still great value. I used to buy the UK 'Times' but since they reduced the paper to half its size on a Saturday I switched to the Telegraph. Tons of reading in it.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The Telegraph is a dreadfully whiny moany givy-outy paper. It's like a more conservative version of the bloody Indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

I get the 'Telegraph' on Saturday. 1.60 it now costs but still great value. I used to buy the UK 'Times' but since they reduced the paper to half its size on a Saturday I switched to the Telegraph. Tons of reading in it.

Yeah, used to get it on a Saturday too, there was so much reading in it, havent bought it since it slimed down, Guardian is great on a Friday with Film and music section, think its not much cop on a Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Yeah, bit of a silly post. :rolleyes:

Think it was a perfectly fine post myself, no harm being reminded that you can pick up a good read for yourself at a cheap cost. And no, most of us can't read them for free on the internet when standing at a bus stop or sitting over a coffee in a coffee shop so that could be considered a fairly silly riposte in itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

One of the better newspapers better than the rubbish you get here anyway cheers for the heads up.

art wrote: »
    Think it was a perfectly fine post myself, no harm being reminded that you can pick up a good read for yourself at a cheap cost. And no, most of us can't read them for free on the internet when standing at a bus stop or sitting over a coffee in a coffee shop so that could be considered a fairly silly riposte in itself

It's not a 'bargain' for the reasons outlined.
    And it says ''Bargain Alerts'' way up there for a reason, I'd wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

I didn't realise it was this price either. Cheers OP - was looking for a new paper.

The Times (UK) used to be my tipple, now they have reduced it (as previous poster said) and we get the international version I dont bother much.

Why are Irish papers so expensive ? - I read the Irish Independent for a while - utter drivel for 1.50 (not sure what it costs now).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

you can get if for 50 cent if you wander into the Trinity SU shop,
    its at the bottom of grafton street for god's sake
    go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

It's not a 'bargin' for the reasons outlined.
    And it says ''Bargin Alerts'' way up there for a reason, I'd wager.

Bargain:pac: If Jaytee says its a Bargain, then it is!:mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

It's not a 'bargin' for the reasons outlined.
    And it says ''Bargin Alerts'' way up there for a reason, I'd wager.

One, learn how to spell "bargain".
    Two, if you say "for the reasons outlined" don't forget to outline the reasons.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭easy guv'nor

Good post OP, been reading it for years - Its a weekend paper, every day, at a Bargain price.

Bargain then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 pzurdo

Good post OP, been reading it for years - Its a weekend paper, every day, at a Bargain price.

Bargain then!

Relative to the Irish Times, I always think of the Guardian as "half the price with twice the reading"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

pzurdo wrote: »
    Relative to the Irish Times, I always think of the Guardian as "half the price with twice the reading"

And the fact that the IT sources many of their international-oriented articles from the Grauniad means you're missing even less :D

Advertisement