Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information, Essential Links & Books

• 20-05-2008 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

I'm working to launch a business in the coming months and am creating a project plan to get me there. The following are the steps I've come up with - may be of use to people and some may add to it to make it more complete?

I'm working on an IT / internet product - to put it in context:

- IT Development
    - Funding
    - Company Registration
    - Web Design
    - Branding
    - Domain Registration
    - IT System Testing
    - Product Launch
    - Marketing
    - Stationary
    - Office Set-up
    - Bank System - payment by customers
    - Bank Accounts
    - Press Releases
    - Equipment Purchase
    - Process & Procedure Documentation
    - Finance System - AP, AR, Payroll, P&L, BS, CF
    - Hiring
    - CRM System
    - Training
    - Product Literature

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Haya, interesting post.
    Ive nothing really to add, but id suggest you organise your graphic design & branding before you develop your website.
    That is if that list is in the order you're gonna approach it.

Any chance you'd put up updates? Could be a really good thread!

No problem - happy to update it and if anyone else has other items please add them in.
    The list above is not in absolute order of sequence - some may be out of the correct order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Something not many of you are aware of (perhaps) is that Boards.ie is on a DIT - Hothouse programme along with 13-14 other start up companies.

I have asked them to make a post here about how they can assist. The facilities, grants, incubation space, mentoring and working in a enviornment with business start ups and entrepreneurs has helped us and Im sure will help some of you thinking about strating your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭benner

Thanks for intro Vexorg

Yep Hothouse www.hothouse.ie is here to help start up businesses! It is funded by Dept of Education and Science and is run by Dublin Institute of Technology. The main points of note are:
    * Free incubation space for 1 year
    * Ten sessions with a business mentor
    * Workshops on key topics
    * Access to funding

The next program is starting in mid Sept. We are currently accepting applications. If you would like a little bit more information please read on…

Hothouse Venture Programme, is a year-long comprehensive support and incubation programme for entrepreneurs with technology based business ideas. The programme offers a number of supports including:
    - Incubation space
    - Management development training
    - Strategic business counselling
    - Access to an enterprise and investment network
    - Access to funding through Enterprise Ireland CORD grant which could provide you with up to 50% of your previous years salary paid to you on a monthly basis over the course of the Programme The guideline requirements for CORD are...
    * Potential to have turnover of e1million and 10 employees within three years
    * Have strong export potential.
    * Have some new or unique technology
    Note you can still come on Hothouse without being eligible for CORD.

The workshops are run once a month for 12 months on a Friday and Saturday 10am – 5pm. They are generally very practical in nature. Lots of collaborative work, case studies and active participation. The cover topics such as Business strategy, Legal, Market research, Finance, Pitching to customers and/or investors, Sales, time management, and HR. So a broad range of the relevant topics in setting up a successful business.

We also organise mentors. These are professional people most often from the industry relevant to your business. They have great experience and often great contacts.

You can apply by emailing info@pdc.ie with a description of your business, what stage your service/product (e.g. proto type, trial customers, trading etc). Also any market demand feedback. A copy of your CV is also useful. More details on the Hothouse brochure www.pdc.ie/pdf/Hothouse.pdf

So we are looking forward to hearing from all you intrepid entrepreneurs...

Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DYP

Hi Scientist,

I totally agree with everything you have presented here regarding Entreprenurial spirit.
    The amount of resources out there is massive and people just need to look properly and do some research - the internet is the greatest research tool ever.
    I attend alot of seminars and I have earnt 30,000 euro in one day from implementing what I have learn't.

I think there is lots of value in marketing yourself and really there are people out their with amazing ideas just sitting on bags and bags of cash - but they don't get off their butts and TAKE action.

A small bit of pain for a whole lotta gain' is what my coach use to say to me,

Cheers

DYP

For those of you watch the Dragons Den you may be interested to know there is an Irish guy Niall Harbison www.ifoods.tv as the main feature on this week's episode. Monday 18th 9pm BBC2.

From BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00d2wxf
    On the next show:
    Attempting to prove they've got the recipe for success this week are chef Niall Harbison and his partner Sean Fee, who think their foodies website will prove a tasty proposition to the Dragons.

Niall is a current participant on the DIT Hothouse program, so we are all very hopeful the Dragons are good to him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cutesaw

finding the idea is the hardest part, after that you just need to spend countless days researching the net and have a short term plan..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kentwo

how much does it cost to participate there, please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Advertisement

The Hothouse is funded by the Dept of Education and Science. There is no cost to joining the course. You get free office space for one year, free access to the workshops, 10 free sessions with a mentor. Minimal charges for your own phone and internet. And we don't take an equity stake in your business.

The reason it's free is that a successful business will create jobs and generate revenue from within and outside Ireland. It is a long term investment from the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭jaycen

Great thread guys, I have to agree, the net is the best research tool there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DrW

Hi There,
    I am starting a small retail business and would like to know is there any websites with Footfall info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 babba black she

money
    you need it to make it, as for the work shop in ireland nice idea but there are to many structures, not enough passion, Creation of a business is not creation of a product ,its just marketing a product, importing is the new business plan, lets face it..welcome to china..

money
    you need it to make it, as for the work shop in ireland nice idea but there are to many structures, not enough passion, Creation of a business is not creation of a product ,its just marketing a product, importing is the new business plan, lets face it..welcome to china..

Trying not to be rude - but what exactly are you saying?

I find it amusing that you're dismissing workshops and other support structures for lack of "passion" ........... and then jumping onto the importing bandwagon ........ Ireland has one of the most open economies in the world and depends on local indigenous passionate people to create businesses and products that can balance the import trade to provide a vibrant, sustainable economy.
    Running down the road to China has to be one of the most clinical and passionless routes to business one could think of.

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Trying not to be rude - but what exactly are you saying?

I find it amusing that you're dismissing workshops and other support structures for lack of "passion" ........... and then jumping onto the importing bandwagon ........ Ireland has one of the most open economies in the world and depends on local indigenous passionate people to create businesses and products that can balance the import trade to provide a vibrant, sustainable economy.
    Running down the road to China has to be one of the most clinical and passionless routes to business one could think of.

You are not rude just misunderstood the workshop has too many ifs and buts
    Manufacturing in europe has gone to the dogs, 99% of the hardware we buy is from china no one can compete ,we are now a service industry thats just the way it is.
    Truth hurts , get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭bacon?

i think this is a fantastic idea... i have a few question

brief bit on where i'm at... currently in india, 6 months through a years career break... i've a business idea which i feel very confident about, and plan to pursue it...

do i need to wait til next september to avail of anything from hothouse?

benner wrote: »
    The Hothouse is funded by the Dept of Education and Science. There is no cost to joining the course. You get free office space for one year, free access to the workshops, 10 free sessions with a mentor. Minimal charges for your own phone and internet. And we don't take an equity stake in your business.

The reason it's free is that a successful business will create jobs and generate revenue from within and outside Ireland. It is a long term investment from the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 deathcrow

benner wrote: »
    Thanks for intro Vexorg

Yep Hothouse www.hothouse.ie is here to help start up businesses! It is funded by Dept of Education and Science and is run by Dublin Institute of Technology. The main points of note are:
    * Free incubation space for 1 year
    * Ten sessions with a business mentor
    * Workshops on key topics
    * Access to funding

The next program is starting in mid Sept. We are currently accepting applications. If you would like a little bit more information please read on…

Hothouse Venture Programme, is a year-long comprehensive support and incubation programme for entrepreneurs with technology based business ideas. The programme offers a number of supports including:
    - Incubation space
    - Management development training
    - Strategic business counselling
    - Access to an enterprise and investment network
    - Access to funding through Enterprise Ireland CORD grant which could provide you with up to 50% of your previous years salary paid to you on a monthly basis over the course of the Programme The guideline requirements for CORD are...
    * Potential to have turnover of e1million and 10 employees within three years
    * Have strong export potential.
    * Have some new or unique technology
    Note you can still come on Hothouse without being eligible for CORD.

The workshops are run once a month for 12 months on a Friday and Saturday 10am – 5pm. They are generally very practical in nature. Lots of collaborative work, case studies and active participation. The cover topics such as Business strategy, Legal, Market research, Finance, Pitching to customers and/or investors, Sales, time management, and HR. So a broad range of the relevant topics in setting up a successful business.

We also organise mentors. These are professional people most often from the industry relevant to your business. They have great experience and often great contacts.

You can apply by emailing info@pdc.ie with a description of your business, what stage your service/product (e.g. proto type, trial customers, trading etc). Also any market demand feedback. A copy of your CV is also useful. More details on the Hothouse brochure www.pdc.ie/pdf/Hothouse.pdf

So we are looking forward to hearing from all you intrepid entrepreneurs...

Brendan

From the Hothouse website , prerequesite is a third-level qualification and several years of industrial experience , but surely if you were already that successful you wouldnt need all this help ?

for someone like me who has several years industry experience , but doesnt have a third level degree , does this mean i am ruled out immediately , regardless of my drive or ambition ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

deathcrow wrote: »
    From the Hothouse website , prerequesite is a third-level qualification and several years of industrial experience , but surely if you were already that successful you wouldnt need all this help ?

for someone like me who has several years industry experience , but doesnt have a third level degree , does this mean i am ruled out immediately , regardless of my drive or ambition ...
    third level qualification & several years experience are gained as an employee and then the hothouse helps you start a business.

lots of people did the course with no third level qualification, if your business idea is good there should be no problems.
    email them to confirm. next course is starting in april.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Colin Mc

Is there anything like hothouse in the northwest that is not focused on export? Sounds great - free rent, broadband, mentoring etc

money

• Advertisement

deathcrow wrote: »

Don't let that put you off, ideally you should have a third level qualification - I have just completed the Hothouse programme and did not have a third level qualification. Some passion and a great idea will help you get past that requirement.

Give them a call and/or pm benner who is part of the Hothouse Team to discuss.

If you are not in a position at this time to join a full time programme like Hothouse.ie and want to find out how you can develop your idea into a business plan and what you need to do to start up a business ICELT have a 6 week part time course (Friday evening - Saturday morning) starting 1st November that looks very promising. This could set you up nicely for the April 09 Hothouse programme.

In fact it strikes me that anyone doing this course will give them a great advantage going on to any of the development courses out there. You may be in a position to start developing or running your business from day one.

I would be interested to hear from anyone doing this course and then going on to a full time course to compare experiences.

I have added ICELT to the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kentwo

how much does ICELT course cost, please ?

kentwo wrote: »
    how much does ICELT course cost, please ?
    The ICELT course is the Enterprise Start Programme € 275
    http://www.enterprise-ireland.com/StartBusiness/EnterpriseSTART+Programme.htm
    Vexorg wrote: »
    I would be interested to hear from anyone doing this course and then going on to a full time course to compare experiences.
    I did both, the enterprise start is just like the HH, but its done over a shorter time frame and has less content, its a very solid programme.

I did both, the enterprise start is just like the HH, but its done over a shorter time frame and has less content, its a very solid programme.

Great

Did you do the Enterprise Start prior to the Hothouse?.

Did you find the courses complimented each other.

If you did Enterprise Start first did you find it gave you a bit of a head start over the other participants (its not a competition I know - but the faster you have your business plan and business idea nailed down the faster you get down to business - these changed slightly for most companies on the Hothosue during the course of the year) - perhaps allowing you to get more from the workshops and mentoring than the participants who were getting this information for the first time?.

Great

If you did Enterprise Start first did you find it gave you a bit of a head start over the other participants (its not a competition I know - but the faster you have your business plan and business idea nailed down the faster you get down to business - these changed slightly for most companies on the Hothosue during the course of the year) - perhaps allowing you to get more from the workshops and mentoring than the participants who were getting this information for the first time?.
    enterprise start first.

Like I said it was basically a mini HH. Covered sales,marketing,HR,finance.
    The only difference is the time and amount of content.
    Training wise the HH gives you more time to put what you learn into practise, and it has the group dynamic to help you.

The trick with these courses is that you have a business.
    The training can all be a bit academic unless you have your own business to experiment/implement on, to get maximum benefit.
    So it did give me a head start on developing my business, but other people are at different levels when they enter the HH, so I wasn't the star of the class. Laughed at by the boss when I asked for Entrepreneur of the year.

You're right its not a competition, because I am undefeatable in everything.

Hope you did good last Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

I've had to delete posts in here.
    Please keep this thread for useful information only.

A lot of what I said is useful.... welcome to china

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭adrian.s

Great

Hey Vexorg,

I attended an Enterprise Start course prior to enrolling on HH. The way I look at the Enterprise Start program is its a sampler of all the things you need to think about when going into Business. Material wise it's nice and fluffy, but being able to network with like minded people and growing your business contacts is worth far more.

I was very fortunate as I was pitching my idea to EI at that time and they suggested I do the course. The course I did was ran by DBIC and it finished with you pitching your idea to the class and a panel of 3 "Dragons". This sounded terrifying at the start of the course, but it was even more terrifying when I was doing my first ever pitch in front of a group of people that I had gotten to like and know. There were a couple of EI guys there on the panel who liked what I was doing and we followed up from there.

DBIC also follow on with you and give you three additional sessions with their business mentors if your plan is at a suitable enough stage for them to add value. Mine wasn't (still in full time employment with only just an idea!) so after one session we left it there and I started working with EI.

The guys running the course also presented another slant on it that I thought was very interesting. They felt that if you decided at the end of the course that starting a business wasn't for you, then that was also a success. You were at least making an informed decision.

Looking back now, it gave me a massive start with my business that I would not have done on my own. Overall two thumbs up from me.

HTH,
    A.

Advertisement