Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamestop - False advertising??

Options
  • 04-10-2008 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

I went into Gamestop yesterday to buy FIFA'09, I seen that sticker on the cover "Trade in any 2 games and get this for 9.99.", so I went off and decided to trade in 2. Went up to the counter and handed in the two games and FIFA and your man told me, oh, the offer won't work with those two games. I told him the sticker said ANY two games. Yes, any two games once they will give you 37 euro for them. Thats not ANY two games, at which point i should have said, actually, screw it so, I'll just go to Xtravision.

I ended up trading in two, and still paying 37 quid in Gamestop, 27 more than i had anticipated, and 27 more than advertised! Now unless i missed some fine print on that sticker, this is false advertising. Anyways, I hope they enjoyed the extra 27 quid, because that is the last time I will buy a game there. I'll be taking my money for Gears 2, COD 5, Saints Row 2, Pro Evolution 2009 else where.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    I went into Gamestop yesterday to buy FIFA'09, I seen that sticker on the cover "Trade in any 2 games and get this for 9.99.", so I went off and decided to trade in 2. Went up to the counter and handed in the two games and FIFA and your man told me, oh, the offer won't work with those two games. I told him the sticker said ANY two games. Yes, any two games once they will give you 37 euro for them. Thats not ANY two games, at which point i should have said, actually, screw it so, I'll just go to Xtravision.

I ended up trading in two, and still paying 37 quid in Gamestop, 27 more than i had anticipated, and 27 more than advertised! Now unless i missed some fine print on that sticker, this is false advertising. Anyways, I hope they enjoyed the extra 27 quid, because that is the last time I will buy a game there. I'll be taking my money for Gears 2, COD 5, Saints Row 2, Pro Evolution 2009 else where.
    I'm sure that sticker has a "Terms and Conditions apply" mark like Xtra Visions does, If you think about it they couldnt make money on this campain if they got hundreds of copies of perfect dark, crackdown, halo etc... They more than likely have a T&C apply

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

yeah Gamestop do have a Terms and Conditions policy on all trade in games, im not exactly 100% sure on how it works but it is somethin along the lines of the games being traded must be of a certain re sale value, this isnt stated clearly in store or even on their website http://www.gamestop.ie/tradein_policy.asp notice how the very last line says 'Terms and Conditions Apply' and seeing as these terms and conditions were not clearly explained to you at the time of purchase you DO in fact have a case against them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

yoyo wrote: »
    I'm sure that sticker has a "Terms and Conditions apply" mark like Xtra Visions does, If you think about it they couldnt make money on this campain if they got hundreds of copies of perfect dark, crackdown, halo etc... They more than likely have a T&C apply
    Nick

Woah, back up the truck. If they advertise "Trade in ANY 2 games", surely to God, it's not legal (or at very least, its absolutely scumbag behavior) that under terms and conditions (which I don't think are printed on that little sticker), surely to God one of the conditions can't be "Actually lads, its not any two games like we advertised, its actually ANY two games that we are willing to pay you a certain price for, which actually isn't ANY two games is it? Oh, too bad, theres actually no deal and we just lured you in, up to the counter, cash in hand, game you want to purchase in hand, so you might aswell just give us the money anyway". Thats just not right. Scum. Bags.

I agree that they wouldn't make money from it, but again, that is their problem, not the consumers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Woah, back up the truck. If they advertise "Trade in ANY 2 games", surely to God, it's not legal (or at very least, its absolutely scumbag behavior) that under terms and conditions (which I don't think are printed on that little sticker), surely to God one of the conditions can't be "Actually lads, its not any two games like we advertised, its actually ANY two games that we are willing to pay you a certain price for, which actually isn't ANY two games is it? Oh, too bad, theres actually no deal and we just lured you in, up to the counter, cash in hand, game you want to purchase in hand, so you might aswell just give us the money anyway". Thats just not right. Scum. Bags.

I agree that they wouldn't make money from it, but again, that is their problem, not the consumers.
    Well I am no expert, but if there was no T&C apply mentioned anywhere in the ad, you mite have a case, I bet somewhere in the fine print of the ad there was T&C apply or something though!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It's always in their small t&c ... value of traded games must be over a certain value. Sneaky, but it's there nonetheless. I don't approve of it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I don't think T+Cs are mentioned on the stickers. I've noticed it once or twice when I've traded, but I've yet to reach these levels of passion or caring :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the sticker has an asterisk beside it in the top right hand corner iirc

Well, I usually wouldn't care, but having to pay an extra 27 quid, especially with such a good lineup of games still to come, I could have done without paying that extra.

Even if it says T&C apply on the sticker, they aren't posted up in the shop, and they aren't on the website. I mean, where do we find them out??? They basically have a free license to do whatever they want when you buy a game. Sure they could have any T&C they like then when they aren't documented. What a load of cock...

They may have gotten me to pay extra, but they'll actually be losing money in the long run. Boycott ftw, Xtravision my game supplier in chief :rolleyes:

the terms are listed on any of the posters for the offer

afaik its something along the lines of "games must be of acceptable value" or something

anyway fact is, the offer has terms, and theyre not hidden

you just didnt look

also, you were just unlucky, ive traded in some awful turd and never had a problem. it just depends on who is behind the til from my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Well every where does this sort of thing. It's sneaky, but not a big shock and your best bet is to actually ask before hand what sort of games would be valid for the offer. You' hardly expect to get the offer for, say, PGR3 and Prey, would you?

Anyway, I hate Gamestop. I hate most of the bricks and mortar retailers. Gamesnash is the only seller I have had consistently good experiences with, but it's not always practical buying online. They do fairly decent trade ins though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Regardless, they do not print the terms and conditions for anyone to see. I did ask to see them once, and I was just told that games had to be a certain price. I asked for a price list for acceptable games, and I was told I couldn't have one. It's a bit ****ty, especially since the PS3/Wii offers are trade in 2, get 1 free.

As with all trade ins, it's best to shop around. I find XtraVision are the most consistent and give the best values. Got 120 for 4 games I would have taken 60 for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

There was a point when Gamestop didn't even have the T&C notice on the stickers. They are a mess of a company :/

chrislad wrote: »
    As with all trade ins, it's best to shop around. I find XtraVision are the most consistent and give the best values. Got 120 for 4 games I would have taken 60 for!

absolutely

xv is the best in the country for games in terms of bricks and mortar imo

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

? They basically have a free license to do whatever they want when you buy a game. Sure they could have any T&C they like then when they aren't documented. What a load of cock...:

Yes they can and are well entitled to. They own the game, they get to make the terms of sale, you can choose to buy or not.

Helix wrote: »
    the terms are listed on any of the posters for the offer

anyway fact is, the offer has terms, and theyre not hidden

you just didnt look

That's total, total BS. They've got two displays, one in each side of their small windows, one with some wii stuff and the other with FIFA, there isn't one T or C on the poster, all it says is out Friday October 3rd. No small print. There are no specific posters about the offer either, only the small stickers on the game boxes.

There's _no_ listings of T&C in the store (or on the website for that matter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

To be honest they're scum for making you pay €9.99 on top of the two games you're already trading in, I was disgusted when I saw that and I haven't been back in Gamestop since. Smyths still allow you to trade in 2 games to get 1 with no extra charge last time I checked but they also only take games above a certain value.

The lists of which games are and aren't valid for these offers should be available somewhere, otherwise you end up taking pot luck and having to hope the two games you have with you are acceptable. Surely if there are such restrictions the stickers should read "Trade in 2 games..." not "Trade in any two games...", otherwise it's definitely an attempt to mislead.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Yes they can and are well entitled to. They own the game, they get to make the terms of sale, you can choose to buy or not.

You've missed the point. My point is that they can have any sneaky term they want. Leaving that aside, when you're at the counter with your cash and game you want in hand and lets say not near another game store, how many people are actually going to say, "Actually, no thanks - I will do without the game I've waited for, for ages". BS. Yes you're free to walk away, but its completely sneaky and underhanded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

well now in fairness in this day and age who really expects to get away with somethin so cheap or think there is no t&c's on something like this!! ever heard the saying if it sounds too good to be true it probably is

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

True, they can have any sneaky t&c's that they want. That's why I won't buy from them. There are Irish companies that sell games, and do trade ins at a fair price. There are alternatives to these crappy greedy scam artists. So stop complaining and get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

Gamestop are a right shower, they used to be my first choice back in the days of the orginal xbox as they tended to have some decent prices on preowned games compare to the others. I dunno if the other stores just got better or they got worse. I remeber I got my elite in gamestop, it was around the same price as other stores, but the deal clincher for me was 100 euros in vouchers. I knew they were for small amounts like 5 euro, I thought over a space of some time I would use them. It turned out the bloody vouchers were to expire in two weeks, probably cos they were using the same voucher sheet for years, cheeky bastards didnt bother updating them. Not that it matters, I dont think I have brought a single game from them since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Last Jan or Feb i went in with COD 3 and The Darkness.I could of got €9 each i think but the las behind the counter said i could pick a game so i got COD4 on PS3!Happy times:D

Good work Podge!!!

F-Stop wrote: »
    So stop complaining and get on with it.

Yes, and saying nothing is exactly we're known as rip of Ireland, because nobody ever says anything about rip off's or scams and just gets on it

That's a ****e attitude, sure how about we continue to let people rip us off, eh? Lets say nothing. Sure why would we want money? It'd be much better is some scam artists pocket if you ask me. That's completely solid logic, isn't it? FFS

Good work Podge!!!

Yes, and saying nothing is exactly we're known as rip of Ireland, because nobody ever says anything about rip off's or scams and just gets on it

That's a ****e attitude, sure how about we continue to let people rip us off, eh? Lets say nothing. Sure why would we want money? It'd be much better is some scam artists pocket if you ask me. That's completely solid logic, isn't it? FFS

or dont be so niave, wake up and use a bit of cop-on to not get ripped off in the first place!! realistly did you honestly think you could stroll in with any 2 old games and get a new one. Gamestop are a big company do you not think they have more than likely spent millions on there policies and procedures to make sure what they advertise is 100% within there rights and not misleading rather than risk a lawsuit from every customer that walks threw the door.

its people that think they can get such deals with out using there head that allows for other companies to rip people off, theres one born every minute!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Well if you feel so strongly about it, why did you go ahead with the transaction? This is what people do, go ahead and give their business to anyone, regardless of value for money, but then go and complain to their friends/internet people afterward. A greater impact would be made if you refused their offer, made your feelings known to the store manager and walked out of there.

On the point of the Terms and Conditions not on show, did you ask what were the terms of the offer? The usual for this is the games must reach a certain trade in value - usually about 30 something euro. Then it's just a case of asking how much of a trade in you'd get for games you own and then picking two that will reach the required amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Being the high flying captain of industry that I am, I've worked in quite a number of game shops, and can say that actually, all of the big three game shops have a minimum value policy, specifically designed to keep out games like PGR, Halo, Perfect Dark, Kameo, Brute Force... etc, all the crap they'd never, ever sell.

S_myths might be a bit slapdash about enforcing it, but that's because they're horrible employers and have the staff turnover rate of a Chinese gold mine. They do have a minimum value policy of 30 quid per game.

Do ask for the terms and conditions.

Do Not bother asking the employees what games are in the offer, because they won't know until they scan the games in on the till.

Do have the games you're thinking of trading in with you to value, and tell the employee in advance whether you're looking for cash, credit or both.

Do Not be rude to the employees either, they can get the heads eaten off them at the end of the day if they've taken in undervalue games, and have to abide by their employer's rules regardless of how much sense they do or don't make.

penguin88 wrote: »
    Well if you feel so strongly about it, why did you go ahead with the transaction?

Game in hand, cash in hand at the counter, no access to another game store before COB, unwilling to wait another day to play the game I've been looking forward to for months.
    This is what people do, go ahead and give their business to anyone, regardless of value for money, but then go and complain to their friends/internet people afterward.

I don't see any harm in making people aware, that ANY two games, doesn't mean ANY two games, do you? Word of mouth is more effective/damaging than bitching to a couple of employees/managers who don't actually come up with the ad's, or have the power to change them and who don't give a **** in the first place. If you think that's a better strategy, fair play and good luck to you.

On a separate note, it's amazing how people will always defend things like this. I've no problem with a min trade-in value. Bottom line, if an offer says "trade in any two games", it should mean just that. Otherwise, it's a load of cock and false advertising.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Game in hand, cash in hand at the counter, no access to another game store before COB, unwilling to wait another day to play the game I've been looking forward to for months.

Well, that's the price one has to pay for not shopping around.
    I don't see any harm in making people aware, that ANY two games, doesn't mean ANY two games, do you? Word of mouth is more damaging than bitching to a couple of employees/managers who don't actually come up with the ad's, or have the power to change them and who don't give a **** in the first place. If you think that's a better strategy, fair play to you.

I'm not saying you have to exclusively complain in the shop and then never mention it again, feel free to walk up the road, get on your soapbox and start venting, but at least say something to a manager in the place or register your displeasure somehow. I'm not saying have a go at the part timer behind the counter, be polite, ask to speak to the manager and if they're not around, ask for them to phone you when they're in. The staff are never to know that you had any problem if you go ahead and buy the thing and don't say anything about it. If you present your complaint in a calm and logical way to a person in authority in the shop, they might even be able to compensate you in some way.
    On a separate note, it's amazing how people will always defend things like this. I've no problem with a min trade-in value. Bottom line, if an offer says "trade in any two games", it should mean just that. Otherwise, it's a load of cock and false advertising.

Look, Gamestop are a big company and have been running such offers for a good few years, if there was anything dodgy about this deal I'm sure it would have come to light long ago. They're going to have themselves covered legally even, if it's just the T&Cs in microscopic lettering on their posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I went to Smyths with Call of Duty 4 today. They offered me €12!! :eek: I went to xtra vision and they gave me €30. Shop around.

/thread

Well, that's the price one has to pay for not shopping around.

Point. Proven. Exactly.

Why would you shop around when there is such a fantastic offer a Gamestop? Falsely drawing in customers.

• Advertisement

Point. Proven. Exactly.

Why would you shop around when there is such a fantastic offer a Gamestop?

shop around as in ASK in differnet places the value of the games or the offers that are on!!

Advertisement