Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the boards.ie photography exhibition wild plan I had

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 vinlad

Just saw this post now tagged a photo on pix and put it in flicr, hope i'm not too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I may be submitting a print.
    My Polluted Swan is still available and waiting.
    You have already got my permission to do anything with that picture, if I get at least 55% revenue :-)
    Thank you, Calina, for your time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

Just changed my photo ... though I had doubts doing so ... I kind of liked the wet dog pic I originally posted ... but went for the safety of a boring cliche landscape instead ... the one in my sig below ...

Oh and Calina, you can take it you have whatever rights you need to use this image for the purposes of promoting the event ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Okay, just some quick questions/updates.

Does anyone object to receiving emails about this as I work through it? If there's a general "okay but don't spam us every five minutes" I'll be looking for some contact details. On the secretarial side of things, it'd help me a lot too if I had more than people's user names (ie your real names) and maybe a phone number.

I'm hoping to get it under way for November which will hopefully be just before I go on holiday myself. My aim is for two weeks gallery time and that is definitely going to be based in Dublin. Depending on how that works out, we could look at running the next one somewhere else.

I have, apparently, 68 group members in flickr, but just 56 photographs. Anyone who is missing there can add until the end of the week if you want to. I am aware of three pix.ie users. It should be noted that this implies quite a large exhibition. Because it is such a large group then, it is definitely limited to just one image per participant at this stage.

There were a couple of ideas tossed out when this last came up in the way of brochures and books. These things obviously cost money and they take time to put together. I'd like it if the community could think about how they feel about these ideas. We could possibly look into a calendar (yes I know that's only 12 or 13 images) and maybe see about selling that in favour of a boards nominated charity, for example. One of the other things I was thinking off was maybe a set of postcards, for example. I don't know if you have any other thoughts on the subject. A lot depends on how you, the community providing the images feel about this.

We also need to think about whether images on display will be made available for sale or not, and the ramifications of that as pretty much any gallery is going to want to take a cut of the proceeds. I'm getting vibes of a 50% cut, incidentally.

When the time comes, we will need to get the message out there. So we're going to need a banner for boards.ie and the aid of a friendly admin to run it. I'm happy to design the banner, but we will need help on the PR front. Any ideas welcome. I'm thinking a couple of the local radio stations in the greater Dublin area and if anyone knows the names of the arts editors of the national newspapers, please let me know because I don't. Any of you who have blogs too, I'd strongly appreciate it if you got involved in pushing the message out. This is further down the line, say in the three weeks before we open. Any of you who are willing to talk to stations like Near FM, Anna Livia, Raidio na Life and whatever replaces Rattlebag, please let me know.

I'm interested in putting a special site together for this. I have a reasonable amount of hosting space for the moment but may need someone to generate a few flash galleries for me via LR (the PS ones are not nice and I am not configuring a Coppermine gallery for it). I am willing to sort out things like domain name registration for that and keep an eye on the site.

New members between here and D-Day. In principle I don't have an issue if a few new regulars turn up and want to participate, except if I have weight of numbers problems in terms of gallery space. I've thought about this long and hard...I'd welcome other people's views on this.

I'd welcome comments on this front, thanks. I'd like this to be reasonably democratic because it's not my show at all...but at the same time, stuff will need to get done as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

sounds all great to me, takin on alot work there calina, fair play, we all is hereto help you whenever for whatever

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

maybe to promo it, get it mentioned on boards podcast, maybe even push them for a once of video podcast giving a taste of whats in the gallery?

Hi Calina ... thanks for all the efforts ... will PM you my email ...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Did somebody call for a "friendly admin".

I'll keep my eye out for one, until then "grumpy and cantakerous" will have to do! :p

DeV.

PS: I really REALLY want to put a pic into this, but I cant remember if I already submitted one etc? Also, I want to take something better then I have.

PPS: I'm also interested in the photo-book idea but one thing at a time eh? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Calina, thanks a lot for all the effort.

70 seems a lot, but then again why not.

I would suggest different size prints and different style framing to break it up a bit. Otherwise it may be a tad boring, visual wise!

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

I'm cool with all that Calina, and also appreciate your efforts. Do you want peeps to PM you their contact details ?

Ta

• Advertisement

@calina - did you request these before, i think i may have sent details already

Notwithstanding we are a creative bunch ... but I think we should let Calina have full creative control of the project ... or we may end up designing a Camel ... which everyone knows is a horse designed by committee ... (and yes Camel's are very well designed for their environment ... but damn ugly!!) ...

So please let us know the rules when you are ready ...

DeVore wrote: »
    Did somebody call for a "friendly admin".

I'll keep my eye out for one, until then "grumpy and cantakerous" will have to do! :p

DeV.

PS: I really REALLY want to put a pic into this, but I cant remember if I already submitted one etc? Also, I want to take something better then I have.

PPS: I'm also interested in the photo-book idea but one thing at a time eh? :)

I consider you a friendly admin DeV. You've never banned me, just cast me in amongst the trainspotters. I don't know if you've a photo in the marketing pool (this was set up on the premise that the final choice of image wouldn't be set in stone until you were doing the print to hang on the wall) - I can't immediately identify a flickr userid as being you. If you want to add one now, go ahead, in any case, I'll come looking for you later in the year as well.

Regarding the photobook idea, I'd like to do it in tandem with the exhibition. I know that a group here did a publication before via Lulu and although they got the book out, I think that it might have been quite a lot work to get organised amongst them. I think if the two run together (and what might be an option there is to allow for two photographs depending on the costs) then I can be a bit more dictatorial about it. When I have a gallery and dates finalised I will come looking.
    Covey wrote: »
    Calina, thanks a lot for all the effort.

70 seems a lot, but then again why not.

I would suggest different size prints and different style framing to break it up a bit. Otherwise it may be a tad boring, visual wise!

T.

Frames/mounts may be subject to gallery controls. 70 is a lot so I'm not sure how gallery space is going to work out. TBA later. I also don't know if I will get 70. I'll freely admit this moved to the bottom of my priority list for quite a while so it maybe that people have lost interest or moved on.

I will, however, probably do some loose grouping of the photographs. I know we talked about a theme last time out but the diversity of photographic styles is such that I feel that's unfair.
    m_stan wrote: »
    I'm cool with all that Calina, and also appreciate your efforts. Do you want peeps to PM you their contact details ?

Ta

Please do.
    @calina - did you request these before, i think i may have sent details already

yes I did. But hardly a soul forwarded them to me so I am doing another sweep on the grounds that it might also flush out the ones who aren't really interested any more.
    Notwithstanding we are a creative bunch ... but I think we should let Calina have full creative control of the project ... or we may end up designing a Camel ... which everyone knows is a horse designed by committee ... (and yes Camel's are very well designed for their environment ... but damn ugly!!) ...

So please let us know the rules when you are ready ...

Rules regarding prints/mounts/all that will be put up when I know what they are, that's a promise.

There's a lot of work to go on in the background. What I want to do is go ahead and a) identify it b) identify what I can do and farm out to the various volunteers and c) keep you informed as to how I am getting on. d) scream for help if and when I need it.

On that subject, are any of you graphics designers? I'd like a Boards Eye View graphic. I like the idea of using a bird in the graphic but am open to other ideas. I'm lousy on that front so... have at it.

If I get nothing from here, I'll post a request in Digital Art and Design next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Thanks again for all this. I'll PM you details now..

Any admin work you want doing give me a shout. I've done a bit of graphic design in college this past year but there are probably a lot of people MUCH better and more experienced here. If you're stuck though.. anything I can do to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I uploaded a photo of a Musk Rose to the "Boards Exhibition" thread.
    If you think any of the following would be a better choice,
    I would rely on an objective opinion.
    Probably looking at what sort of photos are most popular or fashionable
    with the public might be an idea?

http://www.irishblogs.ie/search/anouilh/

Also, should I change the Licence on the photo?
    At the moment, it is uploaded under the "All Rights Reserved" licence.

It has also struck me that, since it is a small JPEG, you may need to
    have a larger photo sent for exhibition purposes.
    It is also available in RAW at 350 dpi.

It's a very interesting project and I'll put some information out among my
    friends.

Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kieranpie

Thats a good idea alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

the flickr group is gone. Is this project dead or have I missed the boat?

hughr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

HAs this died a death or is work still going on behind the scenes!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Expect an update very soon.

• Advertisement

Yep work is going on behind the scenes. I am waiting on some correspondance before I come back to you with my next lot of demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Some how I over looked this :o

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring also. A year late at this stage so I dont expect anything but nice to see this is going on :)

Dara, in general I am okay with that.

Hi folks.

I am currently in discussions with Dublin Camera Club about the possibility of them hosting this exhibition in their premises on Camden Street sometime next year and they are amenable to the idea. Obviously they will have their own procedures to go through with respect to a final yes/no and we are now at the next stage of trying to move things along. I want to reiterate at this stage that it is not certain but is very possible pending how things go here and how things go within the Dublin Camera Club itself as obviously, they have a major interest in how we go about this if they agree to host us.

There are a couple of points I need to raise with respect to our side of things and, as a result, some cooperation that I would need from you.

I have been requested to provide a selection of photographs, printed, to Dublin Camera Club to enable them to get a better idea of what it is we do, the range of work we produce, and the quality of it. These prints need to be A4 sized. I intend to draw these from the flickr pool. I need to know if anyone has any objections to me using their photogaphs for this purpose. I would assume that having submitted photos to the pool, most people are okay with this?

I am in a position to do the printing myself; however if anyone would prefer to arrange a print themselves, they will need to flag it to me. I will not be sending all photographs from the pool at this stage; just a brief selection to give the authorities in DCC an idea of what we do and how good it is.

If that is okayed by Dublin Camera Club, we will move on to the next stage. Dublin Camera Club's gallery can accommodate approximately 30 photographs. I know that the flickr group+pix.ie community interested in participating exceeds this by some distance. I will, at that stage, need a final decision from each photographer regarding what photograph they would like to submit for the exhibition and a selection will be done on that basis.

IF we reach this stage, there will be a standard mount of window mount on 16x20 inches, and the mountboards will need to be black.

I also would greatly appreciate it if posters who are already members of Dublin Camera Club or intending to join would let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

You have my permission to print mine photo. And I would like to pay for that print.

I'd also like to add that I would like to thank Cabansail and DCC for their support so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

I was just going to second Thonda's comment and say that I would reimburse you for the cost of printing one of my photos in the unlikely event that one was shortlisted for printing by you.

Then I checked the Boards Exhibition group on Flickr and noticed that I had no photo submitted tothe group :eek:

p.s. thank you for your behind the scenes work on this

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Green light for everything here!

RoryW, the group is still open if you want to submit. I had deadlines and stuff to work around last year but they are movable at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

oops, just noticed the photo I thought I had submitted and couldnt see is there after all :)

Posted by virtue of being my highest viewed photo - a whole 298 times !

Advertisement