Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Channel - I get the distinct feeling it's English

Options
  • 17-09-2008 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I watch the History Channel a bit, thanks to NTL cable, but I can't help feel that the topics on particular are all English based.
    I'm beginning to believe it should be titled the "English History Channel".
    The content does has some non-biased content and does include information on the side of the English opponent but all of the topics seem to have a very English slant.

One of my issues with the present channel is that for persons watching it right now might believe that this is history when in fact it's English history.
    I don't know how wide this channel is shown globally but as far as ourselves are concerned I think we should be soliciting for the channel to be renamed and for us to get a Global History channel with productions from countries other than the UK and US.
    Maybe even get our own version at some stage.

I'm not forgetting that history is written by the victors :(.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

*facepalm*

Mike

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Ah, the good old Hitler Channel, where the Second World War never ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

History channel: Tonights listing

6:00 - Hitler: The rise of evil
    7:00 - Weapons of WW2
    8:45 - The Russian front
    9:00 - Winston Churchill; England's war time PM
    10:00 - Attack on pearl harbour
    10:05 - British tanks
    11:00 - British tanks (repeat)
    12:00 - SAS: The complete history

Yep, looks about right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I am sure the American version has its viewers believing the Americans won World War II on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

Krieg wrote: »
    History channel: Tonights listing

6:00 - Hitler: The rise of evil
    7:00 - Weapons of WW2
    8:45 - The Russian front
    9:00 - Winston Churchill; England's war time PM
    10:00 - Attack on pearl harbour
    10:05 - British tanks
    11:00 - British tanks (repeat)
    12:00 - SAS: The complete history

Yep, looks about right

Ah indeed, so why do NTL show it in Ireland as the "History Channel"? shouldn't we have our own version?

I see from historychannel.com that there are many versions alright, and guess what we're roped in with the brits, how wrong could that be? I see Iceland even has their own version!

NORTH AMERICA Canada | USA
    LATIN AMERICA Argentina | Bolivia | Brasil | Caribe | Chile | Colombia | Costa Rica | Ecuador | El Salvador | Guatemala | Nicaragua | Honduras | México | Panamá | Perú | Paraguay | Puerto Rico | República Dominicana | Uruguay | Venezuela
    EUROPE Austria | Belgium | Denmark | Finland | Germany | Greece | Iceland | Italy | The Netherlands | Norway | Portugal | Spain | Sweden | Switzerland | United Kingdom/Ireland
    AFRICA & MIDDLE EAST Israel | Middle East | South Africa | Sub-Saharan Africa | Turkey
    ASIA & OCEANIA Australia | India | Indonesia | Japan | Korea | Malaysia | New Zealand | Southeast Asia | Thailand

How can we correct this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

I, personally, would be in favour of rejoining the United Kingdom. Although I suspect I may be in a minority.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

How can we correct this?
    Start making quality Irish history documentaries yourself and start selling them to the History Channel.

The Tanks of Cuchulainn, Battlefield: Aughrim, The Secrets of the Tomb of Charles Haughey, Confidential Files of the FCA...

tintin67 wrote: »
    I, personally, would be in favour of rejoining the United Kingdom. Although I suspect I may be in a minority.

I presume you're talking about being include with the UK for this programme.
    If not please keep that to yourself as far as this thread is concerned, feel free to create another post on the matter or "reuniting" , I'll be sure to drop you a line. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Robbo wrote: »
    Start making quality Irish history documentaries yourself and start selling them to the History Channel.

The Tanks of Cuchulainn, Battlefield: Aughrim, The Secrets of the Tomb of Charles Haughey, Confidential Files of the FCA...

I've no experience. Is there anyone out there that could make such programmes, I though the "Cromwell in Ireland" was good but could have been fleshed out alot more, it's programmed like that I'd like to see on the "History Channel Ireland".

I'm sure there's lots more that we could make, the fact that I don't know about them proves the need for such broadcasts, I'll have to locate my old school books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Boardsbud

Well maybe you'll be happy to hear that Cromwell in Ireland is a co-production with the History Channel UK and will be screened on there at some stage, frequently no doubt. A previous documentary made by the same production company Tile Films, Irelands Nazi's, was also made as an RTE/History Channel UK co-production.
    We don't make a huge amount of historical documentaries in Ireland that would appeal to a UK or international audience, certainly not enough to warrant an "Irish" History Channel. People who suggest such ideas obviously have no idea of the costs involved in producing high quality content relative to the tiny returns for what is a commercial enterprise. As can be seen from the History Channel listings in an earlier post, the content is hardly highbrow. I'm sure they struggle to fill their schedules without loads of repeats and stripping themed series as "Great British Tank Weekend" and the like. The way forward for both History Channel and broadcasters like RTE is to co-produce documentaries, that way keeping their individual investments down but both ending up with quality content. And we can be happy that Irish themed docs are getting out to an international audience :)

• Advertisement

You sound like someone who knows what they're talking about.
    I understand that a pure Irish channel is probably now viable.

I don't see why NTL only provide the UK version of History Channel to us, personally I'd prefer to watch a Global version (US, UK, French) with some co-produced Irish content include some of the time.

Of all countries we should not be forced to pay for UK versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Of all countries we should not be forced to pay for UK versions.

You are forced to pay for television?

If you would prefer another countries version why not subscribe via satellite.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    You are forced to pay for television?

If you would prefer another countries version why not subscribe via satellite.

Get satellite for the sake of History Channel? I watch it but it's not worth it for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

facepalm

Well there you go then, that just hightlights how unviable your idea is. As regards your idea to insert Irish content into an International version of the History Channel, presumably you mean for Ireland only ??? How do you propose this works ? I don't believe most people channel surf that far unless they're looking for something specific.
    If you want to watch Irish documentaries watch RTE or TG4, thats your solution. Are you pushing some other agenda with regards to your issue with the UK History Channel ?

Oh and I wouldn't claim to be an expert on any of this at all. I'm just using common sense. We're a tiny country with a tiny population and I'm sick of people drawing comparisons between here and the UK and wanting Irish versions of everything there. Get over it.

BoardsBud, did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning? or is there something you've not telling us, this seems to be a sticky spot for you.

I don't think we should do everything the uk has.
    I do think that in the case of the History Channel we should be watching world history and Irish history and not just the uk version.
    I'm not trying to change the world just the History Channel presented in Ireland.
    Is this really a very big deal?

I'd like to hear from other history fans as to their perception of the History Channel service here in Ireland.

BoardsBud, did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning? or is there something you've not telling us, this seems to be a sticky spot for you.

I don't think we should do everything the uk has.
    I do think that in the case of the History Channel we should be watching world history and Irish history and not just the uk version.
    I'm not trying to change the world just the History Channel presented in Ireland.
    Is this really a very big deal?

I'd like to hear from other history fans as to their perception of the History Channel service here in Ireland.

Ho wdo you propose this to be funded though?
    It would require Irish government funding to get this up and running as there is feck all commercial appeal to it.
    Do you think it is something the Irish government should be funding?

You sound to me like someone who is just looking for an excuse to give out about the english, and no I cant prove that, and yet is it something I have subjectively infered so there is no point proving me wrong.

I don't have an alternative agenda and I haven't a clue how this could be funded.
    First you have an idea, you discuss it and then you look into the feasability, are we at the feasability already? that was quick.

Does no one see the benefit of sharing Irish History on the History Channel?

I think a couple of you lads are looking for a fight and just trying to put people and their ideas down without giving it a chance. This is a forum you know!
    Only the first couple of posters have actually gotten the point of the question.

Only the first couple of posters have actually gotten the point of the question.

There was no question in your first post.

No "sticky point" for me at all.
    Frankly your idea is a stupid one. Sorry to be blunt. If there was any commercial viability to it there would be an Irish History Channel. I don't believe that the History Channel has any sort of sizeable audience full stop because by its very nature it caters to a specific niche. That audience in Irish terms I would suspect would be in the hundreds rather than thousands at any given time. I doubt 99.9% of NTL subscribers even know they've got the History Channel.
    You have stated yourself that you wouldn't be prepared to pay any additional subscription for an International version of the History Channel anyway, i'm not sure if thats available, so that pretty much sums it up. Like I said before if you wish to watch Irish documentaries tune in to RTE or TG4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

My suggestion to the OP that we rejoin the UK to solve the UK/Ireland History Channel problem was a rather pathetic attempt at humour on my part, as I detected a slight touch of 'other issues' there. Apologies.

I suspect the international versions (Icelandic/Swedish/Norwegian etc) of the History Channel in smaller countries are not, in the main, channels with separate Icelandic, Swedish, Norwegian content, but are mainly the same programmes subtitled or dubbed into different languages according to the market. As we share a common language with the UK, we get their version by default. The History Channel has a tiny audience share in the UK and a distinct Irish version would be totally unfeasable.

Incidentally, if there hadn't been that silliness in 1916 and we were still in the UK, we would certainly have had an Irish language tv channel at least 20 years earlier than we did (see the Welsh language S4C), I'd guess that the Irish language would be in a far healthier state than it is, and, as one of the largest regions in the UK, we would probably have a large archive of Irish produced television dating back to the 1950s whereas we now have hardly anything predating the mid '70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I have noticed that every second programme seems to be about Britain's involvement in WW2 and it's the main reason I no longer watch the History channel. They don't seem to show anything else. You'd almost swear that only one country had ever been involved in something historically significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

I haven't a clue

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

don't worry the guy will come along and pointlessly dub it and it'll appear on network two soon enough

is there a differente american history channel?

can't tell what the other nations flavour of History Channel is showing. I see Elizabeth is on for the 100th time on our own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

It is, and distinctly right wing too.

The adds drive me mad, 10 mins of programming and then 5 mins of adds.

Every hour on the history channell has 45 mins of a programme and 15mins of adverts.

I timed it one day. I know im sad...

caoibhin wrote: »
    It is, and distinctly right wing too.

The adds drive me mad, 10 mins of programming and then 5 mins of adds.

Every hour on the history channell has 45 mins of a programme and 15mins of adverts.

I timed it one day. I know im sad...

Most 1 hour programms are 43 mins long, lost and prison break etc,
    I tried to count the time exactly but I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run if you will, so I'm afraid I have something of a mess on my hands.

Most 1 hour programms are 43 mins long, lost and prison break etc,
    I tried to count the time exactly but I'm afraid I prematurely shot my wad on what was supposed to be a dry run if you will, so I'm afraid I have something of a mess on my hands.

Oh dear, what were you watching?

Home and away does it for me tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Irish History Channel listing:

5.00pm The Irish Empire
    5.01pm Fecked by the Vikings
    5.30pm Fecked by the Normans
    6.00pm Who stole all our trees?
    6.30pm What have the English done for us?
    7.00pm The History of political corruption in Ireland (part 1 of 90)
    8.00pm That Bastard Oliver Cromwell
    9.00pm The Murdering Feckin’ Tans
    10.00pm Who do you think you are, and what’re you doing here?
    11.00pm How we got fecked in the famine.
    11.30pm De Valera – The Wonder Years.

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The Irish History Channel listing:
    6.00pm Who stole all our trees?

Actually, its a myth that the English "stole" our trees. Ireland as an island has been inhabited by people who removed trees for agricultural practices for the past 2k years.

The country had a tree cover of about 20% in the 16th century so the notion that the English stole out trees is daft. The remainder of the forestswere indeed cleared during the Famine for fuel wood.

Advertisement