Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House prices have much further to fall: Morgan Kelly

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Oh I'm not worried. There's lots of mothballed housing estates near me that aren't selling :D

Incidentally, if I believed what the papers were telling me, I'd have bought a house last year and now I'd be sitting in negative equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ootermus

stooge wrote: »
    Maybe I should have been clearer here. Yes, it's my opinion that rates are more likely to go up than down. What I mean is the ECB rate. I don't forsee a reduction in rates, more likley an increase to combat the eurozone high inflation.Then again, it's just my opinion and I'm prepared to put it out there in writing. If rates go down I'll hold my hands up.

It's a bit like your OPINION:

"likelihood of more wage rises across the board" -> Wage rises across the public sector I assume you mean?
    "fairly tight rental market" -> do we not have the biggest supply of rentals EVER?
    "rents are more likely to rise" -> why should they if we have a massive oversupply? Thats 'way out of kilter with current morket conditions'.

A simple example: look at the amount of apartments for rent in sandyford. Also look at how long these aprtments have been up for rent, how many have reduced their asking prices.

95% of economists, bond traders and professional investors are expecting the next move from the ECB to be lower. I'd put the argument of rents going higher/lower at 50/50 at best - people still have to live somewhere after all, so the only options are to rent or buy.

Wages are going up across the board, of that there's no question. Before the recent pay talks broke down IBEC had already agreed to something like 5% over the next 18mths, which was considered way too low for the unions. The IBOA want the banks to stump up 10% for staff over that period, and, unfortunately, the public sector unions will ask for and probably eventually get something similar (heaven forbid that someone in the private sector, without a pension and facing the possibility of redundancy, might get paid more...). In the IT sector there's still a shed load of jobs available, so wages are almost certain to go higher there. Low level manufacturing and construction/property industry will obviously be different, but by and large, the vast vast majority of workers will be getting paid more next year rather than less. So the dynamics in play are rising wages, a rising population and a rising number of people actually looking for rent (as they're not buying). I'm not saying rents are going through the roof or anything, but, increased rental supply aside, there's a solid base under rental rates right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    DOOM & GLOOM merchants
    Pardon?
    DOOM and GLOOM merchants
    I'm sorry, who?
    DOOM & GLOOM
    I can't hear you... you'll have to speak up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Ootermus wrote: »
    95% of economists, bond traders and professional investors are expecting the next move from the ECB to be lower. I'd put the argument of rents going higher/lower at 50/50 at best - people still have to live somewhere after all, so the only options are to rent or buy.

Wages are going up across the board, of that there's no question. Before the recent pay talks broke down IBEC had already agreed to something like 5% over the next 18mths, which was considered way too low for the unions. The IBOA want the banks to stump up 10% for staff over that period, and, unfortunately, the public sector unions will ask for and probably eventually get something similar (heaven forbid that someone in the private sector, without a pension and facing the possibility of redundancy, might get paid more...). In the IT sector there's still a shed load of jobs available, so wages are almost certain to go higher there. Low level manufacturing and construction/property industry will obviously be different, but by and large, the vast vast majority of workers will be getting paid more next year rather than less. So the dynamics in play are rising wages, a rising population and a rising number of people actually looking for rent (as they're not buying). I'm not saying rents are going through the roof or anything, but, increased rental supply aside, there's a solid base under rental rates right now.

I thought the expected next move from the ECB was neutrality - ie - no change, at best. That's not "down".

Increased rental supply is huge. Until it's soaked up, there is no solid base under rental rates. Influx of immigrants is down. The rental market is in a mess at the moment. Solid base is not how I'd call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

House prices are now realistic - banks will lend. This is the message that needs to get out there. There are LOADS of buyers out there. Ask any estate agent and they will all say that their inquiries are all related to will it drop anymore?

I would agree that there are loads of buyers out there. The problem is that banks are no longer lending the money they once were. With this change in lending policy people (FTB) are now realising that they require a deposit.

A c.10% deposit takes a while to save for an average priced house, this will delay any recovery in the market in the short term. People who are already on the 'ladder' and have sufficient equity built up will not be affected by this (provided they release this perceived equity on selling).

Even if the ECB hold rates steady for the next year, the inter-bank lending needs to be sorted. Add to this increases in food and energy costs and all of this further reduces the amount that buyers can borrow. I would imagine that the options of hitting the credit union or equity release from the parents home for deposits have also dried up.

Personally I see the housing market dropping for at least the next year while all of this works through. If the current excess supply of property isn't cleared then the stabilisation of prices will take a lot longer. The impact of the standoff between buyers and sellers has not truly kicked in, as we have seen, the buffers for some have started to disappear forcing the issue. This has not become widespread yet.

Regarding the doom and gloom merchants, I have to say I'm amazed at how rapidly it has been brought to the masses and I do agree that there has been an overshoot in the reporting. But blaming the so called D&G merchants for where we currently are is ridiculous, the reality of what we have been doing has been highlighted. Building an excess of poorly made property, loose lending citeria, loss of competitiveness and international circumstances have brought us to where we are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

I'd put the argument of rents going higher/lower at 50/50 at best - people still have to live somewhere after all, so the only options are to rent or buy.
    I'd agree with you that an increase in rates is not guaranteed. However it is unclear as to what your argument regarding rents is based on. Rental trends on Daft over the last 8 months certainly don't support your argument.

http://www.irishpropertywatch.com/rentalsSearch.php

August/September traditionally is the the most difficult time of year to find accommodation, so naturally we will see some seasonal surge in demand. However, I think we'll have much better clearer picture of the state of the rental market by October/November. And recent trends do not suggest that we will start seeing rental increases at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Lots of irish people always think of their homes as a tool for making money. yes it was the case in the past 10 years and buying and selling yielded some great interest free gain. but at the end of the day people need somewhere to live and if you can afford your mortgage and have job security then whats the problem? a house is your home a roof over your head. not the stock market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

Westwood wrote: »
    but at the end of the day people need somewhere to live and if you can afford your mortgage and have job security then whats the problem? a house is your home a roof over your head. not the stock market.

I agree. However, if possible I'd rather wait 6-12 months and reduce the amount I need to borrow by €30-50 thousand.

Calina wrote: »
    I thought the expected next move from the ECB was neutrality - ie - no change, at best. That's not "down".

Increased rental supply is huge. Until it's soaked up, there is no solid base under rental rates. Influx of immigrants is down. The rental market is in a mess at the moment. Solid base is not how I'd call it.

Well "no change" isn't a 'move', so the next 'move' by the ECB is now expected to be either December or early next year. So the expected scenario is rates on hold for 5 or 6 months, then down, but longer term rates have already factored this in, so for those interested in fixing their interest rates, rates have already got siginificantly cheaper than a few months ago. Obviously this might not turn out to be the case, but thats how its all priced in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

they are nowhere near the airport ..they are lost in the desert...they can not read a compass...they are retarded.
    the first 6 letters of simplesam06 mean a whole lot here.
    Aha, good one, yeah, never heard that before. Original.
    what I'm trying to say is
    • Irelands economy is in good shape
    • house prices are now realistic
    • Now is the time to buy
    • DOOM & GLOOM merchants should not be allowed to run the country
    • Banks are lending money
    just because I'm looking at it from a POSITIVE point of view and not a DOOM & GLOOM view my views are entitled to be voiced.
    Every single word you have just written is unadulterated bullshit, easily disproven by anyone with 30 seconds to spare on google. Therefore, you're another shill coming to sell something to those foolish enough to buy. Unlikely at best, chief, too many people are educated enough to know the reality around here.
    You do make some valid points but do not ram your DOOM & GLOOM views down my throat or anyone elses. As far as I'm aware we are in a democracy - we do not have to agree but do not, I repeat, do not write derogatory remarks referring to me
    You're a goddamn moving hazard. You should have a bell round your neck to warn people you are coming.

Did daft put a link from their site to here in the purchase agreement with boards or something? I haven't seen this kind of tired old shilling in at least a year, they must have missed the boat while spamming daft, and are now migrating over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Sarn wrote: »
    I agree. However, if possible I'd rather wait 6-12 months and reduce the amount I need to borrow by €30-50 thousand.

I don’t question that one bit. But what im saying is that people on the property ladder at the moment have nothing to worry about if they can afford it and have job security. its going to be a buyers market in coming years. The ftb who bought a dog box as their first property will have to hold onto it for a lot longer then they first thought. That’s the only downside I see here. People need to move house for whatever reason pretty regularly and that will stop completely. On daft all those apartments under 200k are investor properties. You can clearly see they're rented out by the lack of home furnishings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

...This is why we're seeing the current major move up in rents in tandem with the serious fall off in prices, as the adjustment in yields comes more in a 'sharp shock' move rather than a gradual re-alignment. Already yields are more like 4% at the moment, and given the likelihood of more wages rises across the board over the coming months, combined with a fairly tight rental market as it is, rents are more likely to rise further if anything, and so rental yields will too. Rental yields in the 4.5% region will attract in the real long term investors and stabilise the market, and ultimately make renting more expensive than buying in the long term.

The first part of your post made sense but then you started talking about the current major move up in rents and 4% yields. When I'm checking house prices and rents I don't see any evidence of this. Realistically priced attractive rentals that I would consider renting normally have a return of around 2-3%. I do see alot of apartments for rent that could back up your point but I can't imagine anyone renting them and there's more and more of them all the time.

At the height of the boom the rental yields were very low at c.2% (maybe even lower), although this was against a backdrop of fairly low interest rates as well, so it wasn't as bizarrely low as some people think.
    Ironically, the higher rental returns are only going to mean house prices have dropped. Rents themselves haven't changed much. Counting on retal returns versus capital appreciation is not something any sane investor looking for a decent return would do. Any investor I know wouldn't touch it before rental returns were in the 10% to 12% range.
    95% of economists, bond traders and professional investors are expecting the next move from the ECB to be lower.
    Have you got a link to support this comment you are making repeatedly?
    So the dynamics in play are rising wages, a rising population and a rising number of people actually looking for rent (as they're not buying).
    Why do you think that wages will affect rent? Rent isn't like property prices, it more solidly tracks supply and demand. Higher wages don't automatically mean higher rent, far from it.
    I'm not saying rents are going through the roof or anything, but, increased rental supply aside, there's a solid base under rental rates right now.
    Thats like saying, water aside, theres nothing to stop us walking to America. There is a huge overhang of properties on the market that will not be sold, and sooner or later most of those are going to be rental. The growth in population won't even make a dent on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

Thats like saying, water aside, theres nothing to stop us walking to America. There is a huge overhang of properties on the market that will not be sold, and sooner or later most of those are going to be rental. The growth in population won't even make a dent on that.

They'll stay unrented just like they stayed unsold. Cause the crux of the problem is with the property.
    Every single word you have just written is unadulterated bullshit, easily disproven by anyone with 30 seconds to spare on google
    Sums your argument up perfectly SimpleSam.

They'll stay unrented just like they stayed unsold. Cause the crux of the problem is with the property.
    If rentals tracked property prices, that might be true. They don't though.
    Sums your argument up perfectly SimpleSam.
    Good one.

Ironically, the higher rental returns are only going to mean house prices have dropped. Rents themselves haven't changed much. Counting on retal returns versus capital appreciation is not something any sane investor looking for a decent return would do. Any investor I know wouldn't touch it before rental returns were in the 10% to 12% range.

Have you got a link to support this comment you are making repeatedly?

Why do you think that wages will affect rent? Rent isn't like property prices, it more solidly tracks supply and demand. Higher wages don't automatically mean higher rent, far from it.

Wages affect the 'ability to pay' element on the demand side of the equation, so rising wages have a direct impact on rent levels themselves. If the average industrial wage earner got a rise of 20k next year he'd probably either considering buying (as he'd be able to get a bigger mortgage) or he'd look to upgrade his current rented property to a more expensive one. Demand increases, so therefore the prices increase as well, basic economics. Obviously there's a supply side to all of this as well, but higher wages, everything else unchanged, leads to higher demand.

As for rents themselves and whether they're changed much, well it obviously depends on when u start the clock so to speak - if u start it in 2005 then rents are 20% up as of today. If you start in 2002 then they haven't changed all that much at all. But that could just tell that rents were crazily high in 2002, supply was completely lacking at all and not much else. And population growth of 30k per year will make a fairly decent dent in a market with a property overhang of something like 100k

As for supporting the comment i made about rates going lower, well look up the 12mth forward EONIA future/FRA (i have it on bloomberg, not sure how easy it is for the layman to find: if you have bloomberg, the code is EUSF12A <curncy> <go>) - it's a security that you trade which indicates where the o/n EONIA rate is going to be in 12mths time, and this is the closest secuirty you can get that tracks the ECB rate. To give you an idea of how much things have changed in the last 4 weeks, it was at 4.60% or so back in mid to late july, and today its at 3.77%. Likewise, you could look up the EURIBOR futures curve which today yields 4.963% but in september next year is expected to yield 4.20%, so a drop in 3mth EURIBOR of 0.75% is expected. Reuters do an economists poll on the last few days of every month - at the end of July it forecast an ECB rate of 3.97% in Q3 2009, but trust me, the end-Aug poll is going to be hugely lower after the recent ECB meeting, poor Eurozone data and the $35 drop in oil prices. They have another poll which is supposedly updated as of today, and its looking for an ECB rate of 3.82% in Q3 2009, and has 58 respondants - of those 58 only four (the economists at HSBC, Morgan Stanley, Nord LB and Fortis Bank) are looking for higher rates at this stage next year.

The EONIA/EURIBOR futures track actual real money, like millions/billions every day is traded on it, and the polls track what economists are forecasting - both point to a clear cut lowering of rates.

And you're so right, saying "water aside, there's nothing stopping us from walking to America" is exactly the same as what i said, thats superb intellect you've got going on there...probably as smart as saying that the investors you know are waiting for residential property yields of 10-12%. Given that they haven't been anywhere even remotely close to that in the last 15 years in this country, i can only assume the investors you know never have and never will invest in residential property in Ireland. As such, their judgment on the market isn't particularly insightful is it?

groom wrote: »
    The first part of your post made sense but then you started talking about the current major move up in rents and 4% yields. When I'm checking house prices and rents I don't see any evidence of this. Realistically priced attractive rentals that I would consider renting normally have a return of around 2-3%. I do see alot of apartments for rent that could back up your point but I can't imagine anyone renting them and there's more and more of them all the time.

Daft.ie Q1 rental survey/report had rent yields of 3.9% in Dublin - given that house prices are still falling at a rate quicker than rents are, this is actually likely to have risen when they release their updated on in the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

If the average industrial wage earner got a rise of 20k next year he'd probably either considering buying (as he'd be able to get a bigger mortgage) or he'd look to upgrade his current rented property to a more expensive one.

What average wage career gives rises of 20k particuarly given current economic conditions?

What average wage career gives rises of 20k particuarly given current economic conditions?

Sorry, i wasn't suggesting that this is actually going to happen, i was just answering a question/comment which said that wage rises don't have an effect on rents. My point was that they obviously do. Again, this underscores how people need to think less about nominal rents and nominal prices, and more about 'real' prices/rents, ie adjusted for inflation, of which wage inflation is a central contributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

And you're so right, saying "water aside, there's nothing stopping us from walking to America" is exactly the same as what i said, thats superb intellect you've got going on there...probably as smart as saying that the investors you know are waiting for residential property yields of 10-12%. Given that they haven't been anywhere even remotely close to that in the last 15 years in this country, i can only assume the investors you know never have and never will invest in residential property in Ireland. As such, their judgment on the market isn't particularly insightful is it?

The first apartments built in the IFSC came on the market for 60k in the early nineties (Custom House Harbour Development). They currently rent at 1200 per month. That'd be more than 10% per annum on apartments. In fact, on the basis of an apartment in the city centre yielding 14k per annum, apartments costing 140,000 would have yielded 10%. There'd be a fair few apartments in the city centre bought in the nineties at this price level.

• Advertisement

The first apartments built in the IFSC came on the market for 60k in the early nineties (Custom House Harbour Development). They currently rent at 1200 per month. That'd be more than 10% per annum on apartments. In fact, on the basis of an apartment in the city centre yielding 14k per annum, apartments costing 140,000 would have yielded 10%. There'd be a fair few apartments in the city centre bought in the nineties at this price level.

The current rent is 14k per year, but it was nowhere near that when they were first bought. This only makes sense if you think a two bed apt in the city centre is going to return to a price of 140k, and that at that point it will make sense to invest, but not before (it also assumes the rent wouldnt come down as well!). Thats also like my parents buying a caravan plot down in Wexford in 1979 for 3k, and now u'd rent it out for as much, so its 100% rental yield???

As for rents themselves and whether they're changed much, well it obviously depends on when u start the clock so to speak - if u start it in 2005 then rents are 20% up as of today. If you start in 2002 then they haven't changed all that much at all.
    So while admitting that rents are the same now as in 2002, and salaries in the public sector climbed 59% from 2001 to 2006, and 19% in the private sector (never mind 2007 and 2008), you refuse to accept that there is no correlation between wages and rental rates? Even the point you made about supply being tight in 2002 supports my point, in that rent is much more directly related to supply and demand. And there will be no shortage of supply for quite some time.
    The EONIA/EURIBOR futures track actual real money, like millions/billions every day is traded on it, and the polls track what economists are forecasting - both point to a clear cut lowering of rates.
    Maybe they missed the upcoming excitement with the Alt-As and Primes stateside, which is going to make the subprime mess look like a joke. Without a doubt that is going to reflect on the Eurozone as well.
    Interestingly, there was feck all foreign investment in Irish property even during the boom, so I'd say a good deal smarter than you, yes. Note there is a diffference between investors (professional businessmen) and specuvestors (ham handed weekend economists that think they are Gordon Gekko because Jim down the bank gave them a loan they really shouldn't have got their hands on).

Edit: Oho, and yet another account registered in this month single handedly trying to start a Bull run on Irish property.

I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

The current rent is 14k per year, but it was nowhere near that when they were first bought. This only makes sense if you think a two bed apt in the city centre is going to return to a price of 140k, and that at that point it will make sense to invest, but not before (it also assumes the rent wouldnt come down as well!). Thats also like my parents buying a caravan plot down in Wexford in 1979 for 3k, and now u'd rent it out for as much, so its 100% rental yield???

the rent being paid on it in 1996 was 550 per month, so even still it was over 10%

So while admitting that rents are the same now as in 2002, and salaries in the public sector climbed 59% from 2001 to 2006, and 19% in the private sector (never mind 2007 and 2008), you refuse to accept that there is no correlation between wages and rental rates? Even the point you made about supply being tight in 2002 supports my point, in that rent is much more directly related to supply and demand. And there will be no shortage of supply for quite some time.

Maybe they missed the upcoming excitement with the Alt-As and Primes stateside, which is going to make the subprime mess look like a joke. Without a doubt that is going to reflect on the Eurozone as well.

Interestingly, there was feck all foreign investment in Irish property even during the boom, so I'd say a good deal smarter than you, yes. Note there is a diffference between investors (professional businessmen) and specuvestors (ham handed weekend economists that think they are Gordon Gekko because Jim down the bank gave them a loan they really shouldn't have got their hands on).

Edit: Oho, and yet another account registered in this month single handedly trying to start a Bull run on Irish property.

I see.

What on earth are u talking about with ur bizarrely circular and self destroying argument?

1. are these investors you know foreign or Irish? its unclear from ur comments because u only reference that there was feck all foreign investment in irish property at all, so either the investors u know are foreign, or they are irish people who have only ever invested abroad, or at least never invested in irish property. Which goes back to my basic point about why i would want to know what they think if they weren't ever active participants in this market? Your comment also completely neglects the fact that people who invested in the early part of this decade would still be well in the money? Are u suggesting that the Irish property market is permanently broken, has been for the last 20 years and will be for the next 20, because thats the implication if u expect rent yield of 12%. Are there any professional investors in the Irish property market, because, according to you, why would there be if they couldnt get their 10-12% yields???

2. Secondly, wouldn't the potential Alt-A meltdown in fact push interest rates DOWN, rather than up? Otherwise i'm not really sure what ur point is???

3. I simply said there is some correlation on the demand side of the equation, and that if the supply side (and everything else on the demand side) stayed unchanged, then higher wages = higher rents. However, you're now saying there is "no correlation between wages and rental rates"? This is absolute crap, or unadulterated bull**** as u like to say. Of course there is a correlation, though the exact correlation is open to debate and its definitely not a 1:1 ratio. Higher wages = more disposable income = higher property prices/mortgages. In an effort to keep rent yields in line to at least some extent, there will be be upward pressure on rents, otherwise the investor would be better off selling the property and taking his capital gain. You've simply said "look, wages went up and rents didn't, therefore there's no correlation". Thats about as smart as someone saying "immigration increased in 2007 just as property prices declined, therefore there's no correlation between house prices and immigration".

4. Look back over my posts, i've at no point attemted anything close to a bull run on the irish property market. My main hypothesis is that as rents and wages have increased, and as interest rates (long term already, variable next year) and property prices go down, affordability levels stabilise at sustainable levels, and bring balance to the markets, and that of far moreimportance are 'real' property prices rather than nominal ones, and the recovery in rental yields is an important part of this whole process. There was too much demand 200-2005, there was too much supply 2005-2008, and next year will likely see demand and supply much more in balance. Real prices will probably be lower than 2006 for the next 5 or 6 years, but nominal ones won't.

5. "Jim down the bank" and "ham-handed-wannabe Gordon Gekko's"? Yeh, there's no bitterness in this forum at all...

the rent being paid on it in 1996 was 550 per month, so even still it was over 10%

First off - mortgage rates in 1996 were around 7-8%, in 1995 they werre 8-9%, so its possible to get a nominal yield in some circumstances (though i'd say quiet rare) of 10% or so, but thats only because mortgage rates were so high. The argument being put forth by SimpleSam is that even with mortgage rates more like 5-6% today (and falling) he still think 10-12% yields are what is required to justify an investment. Again, this is a real vs nominal rent yield issue.

Secondly - even if this was available in 1996, its at the outside of my "last 15 years" statement, and are we also saying that property has either been a bad investment or overvalued since 1996???

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

. The argument being put forth by SimpleSam is that even with mortgage rates more like 5-6% today (and falling)

2008 9 Jul. 3.25 - 5.25
    2007 13 Jun. 3.00 - 5.00
    14 Mar. 2.75 - 4.75
    2006 13 Dec. 2.50 - 4.50
    11 Oct. 2.25 - 4.25
    9 Aug. 2.00 - 4.00
    15 Jun. 1.75 - 3.75
    8 Mar. 1.50 - 3.50
    2005 6 Dec. 1.25 - 3.25
    2003 6 Jun. 1.00 - 3.00

Where do you see the fall ootermus? Your prediction based on the ramblings of Austin Hughes who is forever talking up the forecast of falling interest rates in the months and year ahead yet has continuosly been wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

Blah blah blah blah blah

*yawn* My neighbours sold their house last month. The people that moved in came from an apt. The house around the corner sold this month. 2 of my friends sold their apts this year and upgraded to houses. Another did the same last year. I make a bit of extra money from renting an apartment down the country....not even in Dublin but out in the sticks. mmmm...the market is dead. Your power to google scary stories is all you have going for you cause you sure as hell don't know fcuk about whats happening in the real world.

2008 9 Jul. 3.25 - 5.25
    2007 13 Jun. 3.00 - 5.00
    14 Mar. 2.75 - 4.75
    2006 13 Dec. 2.50 - 4.50
    11 Oct. 2.25 - 4.25
    9 Aug. 2.00 - 4.00
    15 Jun. 1.75 - 3.75
    8 Mar. 1.50 - 3.50
    2005 6 Dec. 1.25 - 3.25
    2003 6 Jun. 1.00 - 3.00

Where do you see the fall ootermus? Your prediction based on the ramblings of Austin Hughes who is forever talking up the forecast of falling interest rates in the months and year ahead yet has continuosly been wrong.

Ok, seriosuly, people need to stop quoting me on things i haven't said and actually read what i've written.

1. I have never, so far as i've known, said in my mind, or on paper, "well that Austin Hughes chap reckons...".
    2. what u have up their is the ECB depo and lending rates. Well done. I've specifically mentioned longer term interest rates on a couple of occasions when i have talked about falling interest rates - EBS did it last week, IIB did it this week. I've also said that the ECB rate will move down in the next 6-9 months, or at least that is what is being currently being implied by the entire market of professional investors, banks, hedge fund etc etc etc, so having amateur forum posters like ourselves on one hand and professionals on the other, i think i know where im going to go for advice. And given that this date is in fact in the future i dont see what today's ECB rate has to do with anything.

What on earth are u talking about with ur bizarrely circular and self destroying argument?
    At least I'm not talking in txt-spk.
    Are u suggesting that the Irish property market is permanently broken, has been for the last 20 years and will be for the next 20, because thats the implication if u expect rent yield of 12%. Are there any professional investors in the Irish property market, because, according to you, why would there be if they couldnt get their 10-12% yields???
    There is a difference between investors looking for capital appreciation and ones looking for rental returns. You won't get rich or even make much money doing that in the Irish property market at the moment.
    2. Secondly, wouldn't the potential Alt-A meltdown in fact push interest rates DOWN, rather than up? Otherwise i'm not really sure what ur point is???
    Interest rates get dropped in the US, and inflation rises in the US. Do you think stateside inflation will have no effect on the Eurozone? I'll point out as well that the ECB, unlike the Fed, has one single mandate-control inflation-and thats what they will do, despite political pressure. Inflation in the Eurozone is twice where they want it to be at the moment. I would have thought a financial genius such as yourself would know that.
    3. I simply said there is some correlation on the demand side of the equation, and that if the supply side (and everything else on the demand side) stayed unchanged, then higher wages = higher rents.
    No. You're making the mistake of thinking that a wage rise will automatically be put into a higher rent area. This is demonstrably untrue. If anything it will be put towards savings to purchase a permanent residence, reducing demand for rental properties. Unfortunately for the property market, drastic wage rises are rather uncommon, so it won't affect much on the larger scale.
    However, you're now saying there is "no correlation between wages and rental rates"? This is absolute crap, or unadulterated bull**** as u like to say. Of course there is a correlation, though the exact correlation is open to debate and its definitely not a 1:1 ratio.
    Hey, I provided the figures that buried your argument, Answer them if you like.
    Higher wages = more disposable income = higher property prices/mortgages.
    Well first off, when wage rises are set against a backdrop of tightening lending criteria, you have to see which offsets the other. The requirement for more of an initial deposit in the last few months by banks more than offsets whatever pay rises you might mention. Secondly, this has nothing to do with rental rates. Rental rates are decided by supply and demand, not mortgage rates, regardless of what some of the more feckless investors might like to believe. You're not selling pints here.
    In an effort to keep rent yields in line to at least some extent, there will be be upward pressure on rents, otherwise the investor would be better off selling the property and taking his capital gain.
    Sigh. Renters don't care that you have a huge mortgage. And most investors can't sell. They'll be undercut by the longer term landlord who has been in the game sicne before the boom, and doesn't need to service a loan.
    You've simply said "look, wages went up and rents didn't, therefore there's no correlation". Thats about as smart as someone saying "immigration increased in 2007 just as property prices declined, therefore there's no correlation between house prices and immigration".
    You've got yourself bass ackwards there as usual. There is shag all correlation between house prices and immigration, except to the extent that the increased money supply brought in mroe immigrants hoping to strike it rich. What you originally said was that rising wages lead to rising rent. This is baldly incorrect. Every single fluctuation in rental rates you have pointed out has been due to supply and demand. You even said so yourself. Except you were wrong in saying that supply and demand will find a balance next year.
    4. Look back over my posts, i've at no point attemted anything close to a bull run on the irish property market.
    So you weren't advising or implying that people should buy property in Ireland for the purposes of rental returns?
    5. "Jim down the bank" and "ham-handed-wannabe Gordon Gekko's"? Yeh, there's no bitterness in this forum at all...
    The main thing that upsets me about this situation, and the likes of you, is that my taxes are going towards bailing out specuvestors from the shambles they landed themselves in.

• Advertisement

*yawn* My neighbours sold their house last month. The people that moved in came from an apt. The house around the corner sold this month. 2 of my friends sold their apts this year and upgraded to houses. Another did the same last year. I make a bit of extra money from renting an apartment down the country....not even in Dublin but out in the sticks. mmmm...the market is dead. Your power to google scary stories is all you have going for you cause you sure as hell don't know fcuk about whats happening in the real world.
    Your Ideas Are Intriguing To Me And I Wish To Subscribe To Your Newsletter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement