Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to softmod your Xbox and install XBMC for free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Question...

Gonna give this a bash tonight. I've read up and see its possible to change the HD for a large cap one...

My question is, how do I copy files onto the HD?? Is it all dont through the FTP client?? I can't seem to find out how to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

All done through FTP after the initial HDM, clone and resoftmod phase. Make sure the eeprom is in a safe place.

Black knight, that would be cool. Im off both days. technically unemployed actually.

Figured it out... Picked up two Xbox's on adverts the other night, the one I'm using was already modded so all I'd to do was copy over XBMC n it worked. Sweet...

Now, just to figure out all the bits n bobs...

Well blow my pants off this is a tasty little mod... Thanks to the OP for the heads up

Figured out how to use TheTVDB, works a treat and then found the fan controlls... There's me thinking I'd have to mod the fans, click of a button and everythings quite.

Plan is to get a larger HD, fill it up and give it to the folks. Will do the same with the crystal one I have and keep it for myself...

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

All done through FTP after the initial HDM, clone and resoftmod phase. Make sure the eeprom is in a safe place.

Black knight, that would be cool. Im off both days. technically unemployed actually.

Oki doke. Ill PM you closer to the weekend. If you happen to be in athlone great, if not, i can meet ya half way or something.

• Advertisement

Right. I managed to aquire a seagate that i modded already. Switched it with another 8gig i had lying around. All i need now is a T8 and im sorted. The strange thing is, the WD hard drives dont seem to have this chip on its main board. So im doubting it will work. I'll try though. Ill keep ye updated.

Thanks anyways black knight.

Ok, im pretty sure im not imagioning this, but on my first modded xbox, i remember being able to go to one of my movies, press the white button, go to movie info, and in the top right hand corner was a button to view the trailer of that movie. Now on my current xbox, i dont seem to have ths option. Thought it was because id not created the full apple movie trailers library, but i have, and still no trailers for any of my movies.

Anyone know what im on aabout? And hopefully have a solution...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I wonder is onagrite online :pac:

Nope, offline, I shall hope to hear from him tomorrow.
    Just thought, what if onagrite doesnt know the answer? What will it all come to then!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

Do you mean the plugin that plays a random trailer of that film before your view the full version?
    You need to install the "Home Theatre" plugin from Settings in Apple Movie Trailers script.

10s57kk.jpg

• Advertisement

Could be that.

It plays a trailer (any trailer) of a film I have transfered onto my xbox.
    Eg, I transfer over the full ~700mb file of "In Bruge.Avi", in then in my Movie information, there is a button to play a trailer of In Bruge.
    Thats what im after. Unless my dad downloaded that plugin for his one unknown to me.

Ill have a look now.

Thats not doing the trick.
    Or does that plugin play a trailer when I click to play the movie, then after the trailer, it plays the movie

I had my first frozen, unlockable HDD yesterday with XBOXHDM. I was modding a crystal XBOX for a fellow boardsie with 300GB Maxtor HDD and it built and installed C & E correctly but wouldn't lock with the eeprom.
    After some googling and tweaking of the BIOS settings, disabling IDE device auto-detection, fixed the issue and locked the HDD with the eeprom key.

Good work ongarite

Any thoughts with my trailer problem?
    I did as you said, i dont even know what that plugin is supposed to have done, I cant notice any difference anywhere.

Any thoughts with my trailer problem?
    I did as you said, i dont even know what that plugin is supposed to have done, I cant notice any difference anywhere.

Think I found your trailer issue thingy. Where you choose, the IMDB film scraper, there is a "Settings" Dialog box in the bottom left.
    You can enable "Play Trailer" option in there, along with hi-res film posters.

Ill check it tomorrow. If thats it, your a legend! Its a really cool feature I think. Ive a load of movies ive no idea what their like, a quick trailer would be fierce handy. Ill check back tomorrow with how it went

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

I think I made a mistake while hotswapping and my xbox hd is locked. I cannot power it up normally, it hangs on the xbox logo. Is there a way to fix this? I looked through this thread and I didn't see the answer but I may have overlooked it apologies.

Hanging on xbox logo without giving an error code may point to a serious or even fatal hardware fault. Error codes would show if:

HD wasnt locked.
    Was Locked with a different EEPROM.
    DVD drive wasnt detected.
    Dashboard wouldn't load.

Etc...

i get error 13 after a few minutes...

If you've got a halo 2 disc or a newer game you can install a newer dashboard. Im assuming that games work.

Error codes would show if:

DVD drive wasnt detected.

Hmm, im planing on removing my DVD drive from my next xbox, throw in some flashy lights if I can.

Wonder will this cause a problem...

Im sure itd cause problems if i dual booted to the DVD, but if im loading straight to XBMC, it should be ok... yes?

Or maybe ill just find out in time.

• Advertisement

Well a softmodded (or chipped i cant remember) didnt work when i tried it. Forgot to reconnect it is all. Could be wrong though. Hopefully theres a software bypass.

Edit: that stuff Ongarite posted about the XBMC library in the other thread is deadly. Who knew it was capable of so much more!
    10 - kernel - DVD timeout

Actually its almost the same as error 6/7/8. But also make sure the yellow cables are properly connected to the motherboard and the dvd drive.

1. Make sure ide cables are connected good.
    2. Make sure the yellow cables are good and properly connected.
    3. Still no succes? Try another dvd drive of which you are sure it is working.

11 - kernel - No DVD Found

Same as #10 So read up please!

You could probably take your dvd drive apart and just leave the main board of the drive, or whatever the wires get plugged into, in it. I highly doubt the drive checks to see if its connected to a motor, laser etc

You could probably take your dvd drive apart and just leave the main board of the drive, or whatever the wires get plugged into, in it. I highly doubt the drive checks to see if its connected to a motor, laser etc
    True, but it kills the resale value!

Ill have a look into it, see what I can russle up.

U can get lights n that in without takeing out the dvd drive...

Well ive some old neon "sticks" id probably throw in. About 1cm x 1cm x 20cm, and as far as I can remember, there is a wee box with them for some reason or another. Ill see how it looks first, if it just looks like theres two neow sticks thrown inside an xbox, i might get something a bit more suitable and neat!

Have you done it before??

If you've got a halo 2 disc or a newer game you can install a newer dashboard. Im assuming that games work.

I tried Unreal 2 the awakening and Splinter Cell Pandora something or other and didn't get past xbox screen. Next I plugged it into the network and repeated. However, the error code has changed to 7...

7 - kernel - HDD timeout

Most of the times, the IDE cable is not properly connected when you see this error. Please reattach the ide cable. Not only to the harddisk drive but also to the dvd drive. ALso try to reconnect the ide cable to the motherboard.

Press pretty hard so it goes all the way in. Make sure it is seated straight and proper in the drives and the motherboard. If you still have an error 7. Try another ide cable. If that won't work try another harddisk. If there is still no go, try to set the jumpers on the rearside of the harddisk drive. Set it to master or cable select. If still no succes, good luck and sell your xbox to me rolleyes.gif
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/210562
    Sounds like you have something similar to my hard drive failure. I suspect you will be getting error code 8 soon. Im hoping you have an eeprom? :L

True, but it kills the resale value!

Ill have a look into it, see what I can russle up.

When will you be selling it? I really doubt modding it will add to its value anyways. Also, you wont be destroying the drive, just dismantling it. Also, whats going to go in its place?

When will you be selling it? I really doubt modding it will add to its value anyways. Also, you wont be destroying the drive, just dismantling it. Also, whats going to go in its place?
    Im not actually going to be selling it btw.

Ill be putting in some Neon lights from my PC, if they fit and look good that is. Ill be experimenting really. If I get anything good looking ill let ye all know. Now, off to DXT to find some cheap alternate lights!

Oh, and I tried that Imdb.com settings thing, but it was already enabled, so again, No joy.

Oh a side note, my dads xbox has now developed a tendency to open the DVD tray everytime its turned on or off! Right now its turned off with the tray stuck out, turn it on and it stays out, push they tray eject button, and it goes in and out again. Not really a problem, but looks a bit like a retarded Xbox when it does it. Might be getting the hammer to that DVD drive too! :)

• Advertisement

Is it a Samsung drive? They develop a problem with the magnet regulating the drive opening, closing.

OR

It could be a Thompson and you could try and re-align it.
    http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/thompson_dvd_tray.htm

Advertisement